Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. We have one common religion - Bikeism.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Avoid staying around those big vehicles.

Our Partners



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: MT KRE Helmet: Review

  1. #1
    Rusted phanikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default MT KRE Helmet: Review


    MT helmets has been quite a familiar brand of Helmets in the recent years within the riding fraternity. MT, acronym for Manufacturing Thomas started in 1968. Since then they are operational in about 80countries across the globe.

    One of the new entrants in their lineup is the MT KRE. Glad to be the first owner of a MT Kre Helmet in India. Picked up the lid from their Authorized Distributor M/s Spartan Pro Gear, Chennai. The helmet is officially sold at Rs.12500/- in India.

    Link to the Helmet : MT KRE SHOCK UNCLE SAM



    Have done about 2500kms after the purchase. This review would pre dominantly based in comparison with the helmets I have personally owned in the past, for better clarity on the topic.

    Helmets Owned in the past :

    LS2 Diamond

    LS2 Moby

    SOL ACME

    MT Blade


    First Impression:

    Having owned MT helmets in the past, this was sort of an upgrade.

    *The overall lightness in weight of the helmet.

    *The helmet has premium written all over it.

    *Branding is very Prominent, compared to any other model of MT. Be it with respect to the packing or warranty card or Straps.


    Warranty Card



    Instruction Manual



    A Freebie with the helmet


    The new 3D logo






    Significant branding all over the helmet.

    I would like to break up the review into 5 prominent sections:

    1.Shell Construction and Styling

    The helmet is equipped with a Tri composite Fiberglass Shell for strength . As a result of which Light weight characteristic is very much evident.

    The Helmet meets or exceeds the following certifications for safety :

    • CE 22.05(EU)
    • DOT FMVSS218(USA)
    • NBR7471-BRS(Brazil)
    • NTC 4533(Columbia)



    Though the Helmet weighs about 100gms more than the Matrix, doesn't feel that great a difference.

    The Shell is has got a spherical shape, no protruding Jaw area or any edges.






    OOAA : The company that designed the graphics



    The KRE comes in 5 different Graphics



    • Momentum : Neon Yellow


    • Momentum : Matt Black



    • Momentum : Matt Orange



    • Low Key



    • Uncle sam

    PC for above Pics: Spartan Pro Gear

    2. Comfort and Padding

    • The Helmet comes EXO Lining fabric interiors which as per the claim, is Hypo Allergenic and Dry Fit.In layman's terms, means very comfortable across different climatic conditions over longer period of usage. It is similar to the Hydra Dry fabric in ICON Helmets.
    • The liners are removable and washable.






















    • Ventilation is good, with three inlet and 2 Exhaust vents.
    • Wind Noise does exist. The magnitude of the wind noise is almost the same as my Old MT Blade, if not better.P.S: There were complaints about the recent batches of MT blade being more prone to Wind Noise. The comparison is between the first model, which I feel is pretty much bearable.



    3.Visor






    • Visibility is almost the Same as the SOL Acme and MT Matrix, undisturbed and wide
    • The helmet comes with Pin Lock Ready Visors.
    • The visors are thicker than the ones on my 2 year old blade.
    • Without the Anti fog Insert, the helmet tends to fog faster than the Blade.
    • Water seepage protection is much better in case of heavy rains. Since the helmet fogs up faster, tend to open up the visor a bit to clear the fog which creates room for the water to get in.
    • The visor removal mechanism, can be tricky for first 3-4 times. Once you figure out, it is very easy







    4.Fastening Straps

    A simple Double D Ring straps to secure the helmet in its place.




    5.Additional Features

    Speaker Pockets : A primary aspect which I, personally look out for in these new age Helmets. Comes in handy when you are using a Helmet Intercom /Bluetooth headset Like The SENA. Please do note that if you are using Sena, it might a be lot hindrance using the sun visor as the lever is right next to the clamp.






    Internal Sun visor: Though there are mixed opinions about incorporation of an internal visor in a Helmet, I personally like it for a fact that you don't have to carry an additional visor which would occupy some decent space if stored properly.



    Reflectiveness : The bottom side of the liners are lined with reflectors, which has been carry forward from the Matrix. Very effective for night riding.




    Accessories(Available separately) :


    Helmet Padding

    Visor

    Pin Lock Visor




    Summary :

    Construction *****

    Comfort ****

    Visibility *****

    Wind Noise ***

    Value for Money ****

    Safety ****





    Attached Images Attached Images   

  2. #2
    Moderator Divya Sharan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore/Bokaro
    Posts
    8,352
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Approved!

    Looks like it's time to ditch my SOL MM2 as well. This falls right in my budget range.

  3. #3
    Rusted phanikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
    Approved!

    Looks like it's time to ditch my SOL MM2 as well. This falls right in my budget range.
    Thank you for the Approval

  4. #4
    Punter paradoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Quote Originally Posted by phanikar View Post

    MT helmets has been quite a familiar brand of Helmets in the recent years within the riding fraternity.
    Very informative review. Any idea about Kre's sharp ratings?

  5. #5
    Rusted phanikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxx View Post
    Very informative review. Any idea about Kre's sharp ratings?
    Had asked the same with Spartan Pro Gear. They said, Since KRE and ATOM are newer models worldwide have not been rated by Sharp Yet.The UK Govt Does the test at random Discretion and pace without the knowledge of the manufacturer in order to maintain Integrity of the test. So this is not in MT's court yet.

    So Hopefully it should be done as soon as possible.

  6. #6
    Rusted dnewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    delhi
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Nice review.
    What other helmets did you have in mind before you zeroed down on MT ?

    You didn't do much of a comparo between the 'Blade and KRE'.
    Why the upgrade ?
    I'm asking because they both almost weight the same.(i thought fibreglass structure would be lighter)
    The price is double for this one.
    Wind noise is also the same.



    I got a Kyt Alpha Venom for the past 1.5 yrs now.
    I feel its too heavy (2.5kg approx)
    Long rides take a toll on my neck and shoulders. I was thinking of checking out HJC lower models. Don't know yet if they are light/heavy.
    My friends have the +50k models which are super light but i won't be buying them in this life.

    Cheers.
    You Start Your Life with a Full Pot of Luck and an Empty Pot of Experience, the Object is to Fill the Pot of Experience Before you Empty the Pot of Luck.....!!

  7. #7
    Rusted phanikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Quote Originally Posted by dnewguy View Post
    Nice review.
    What other helmets did you have in mind before you zeroed down on MT ?

    You didn't do much of a comparo between the 'Blade and KRE'.
    Why the upgrade ?
    I'm asking because they both almost weight the same.(i thought fibreglass structure would be lighter)
    The price is double for this one.
    Wind noise is also the same.



    I got a Kyt Alpha Venom for the past 1.5 yrs now.
    I feel its too heavy (2.5kg approx)
    Long rides take a toll on my neck and shoulders. I was thinking of checking out HJC lower models. Don't know yet if they are light/heavy.
    My friends have the +50k models which are super light but i won't be buying them in this life.

    Cheers.
    Frankly speaking , didnt have any other helmet in mind. A friend of mine and myself had been to the store to check for a helmet and shoe for him. Also i had given my matrix for air pump replacement , had to collect it.
    Tried the new models(Atom and KRE) , the feel was very good and specs felt impressive. Though on paper the weight is almost the same , KRE feels a lot lighter, on par with my matrix.

    Wind noise is almost the same as in Blade and KRE. Have heard few issues of excessive wind noise in the later models of Blade, mine is the first version, in which its very much bearable. The thermocol layer in the KRE is visually more than that of Blade.

  8. #8
    Rusted Deathmate.Zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    609
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Quote Originally Posted by phanikar View Post
    Frankly speaking , didnt have any other helmet in mind. A friend of mine and myself had been to the store to check for a helmet and shoe for him. Also i had given my matrix for air pump replacement , had to collect it.
    Tried the new models(Atom and KRE) , the feel was very good and specs felt impressive. Though on paper the weight is almost the same , KRE feels a lot lighter, on par with my matrix.

    Wind noise is almost the same as in Blade and KRE. Have heard few issues of excessive wind noise in the later models of Blade, mine is the first version, in which its very much bearable. The thermocol layer in the KRE is visually more than that of Blade.
    Wait a second. You didn't mention you owned a Matrix in the review. I am looking to buy a new helmet n have shortlisted Matrix and Kre. Please let me know how Kre fares in comparison with Matrix. Which one would be a better choice? Matrix is already Sharp 5* and we don't know if Kre will be that so is it advisable to go for Kre over Matrix?

  9. #9
    Rusted phanikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmate.Zed View Post
    Wait a second. You didn't mention you owned a Matrix in the review. I am looking to buy a new helmet n have shortlisted Matrix and Kre. Please let me know how Kre fares in comparison with Matrix. Which one would be a better choice? Matrix is already Sharp 5* and we don't know if Kre will be that so is it advisable to go for Kre over Matrix?
    Oops , my bad , sorry to have missed out matrix from that list . If you are somebody who uses bluetooth intercom like Sena, then it is adviceable to go for KRE since it has dedicated speaker pockets and also has a in built sun visor. But on Matrix's defence it has air pump, helpful in chinpad adjustment which is absent in KRE.

    With a stiffer chin pad adjustment , it can also reduce wind noise to a greater extent.

    Personally i feel, If you are very particular about Sharp rating , then go in for Matrix , else KRE(if you find the fit right that is).

  10. #10
    Rusted Deathmate.Zed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    609
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: MT KRE Helmet: Review

    Quote Originally Posted by phanikar View Post
    Oops , my bad , sorry to have missed out matrix from that list . If you are somebody who uses bluetooth intercom like Sena, then it is adviceable to go for KRE since it has dedicated speaker pockets and also has a in built sun visor. But on Matrix's defence it has air pump, helpful in chinpad adjustment which is absent in KRE.

    With a stiffer chin pad adjustment , it can also reduce wind noise to a greater extent.

    Personally i feel, If you are very particular about Sharp rating , then go in for Matrix , else KRE(if you find the fit right that is).
    Thanks! I got the Matrix as I did not want to compromise on the safety rating. The KRE could also be SHARP 5* but nothing is guaranteed at this point. Also I do not use helmet communication systems so did not need the speaker pockets. I loved the fit and feel of the KRE though.

    It would have been great if the Matrix had an internal sun visor, since mercury/smoked screen options are not available. That's my biggest grouse against Matrix.

    Another thing is with the chin curtain in place there is a lot of fogging in the visor. How did you tackle this issue? keeping a bit of visor open or removing the chin curtain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Axor Streamline Helmet Review
    By sunilg in forum Motorcycle Accessories/Riding Gear Review
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2017, 08:48 PM
  2. Mt blade helmet review
    By Yatheesh S Yashashvi in forum Motorcycle Accessories/Riding Gear Review
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM
  3. MT Axxis Helmet Review
    By Shaktiv3 in forum Motorcycle Accessories/Riding Gear Review
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2016, 06:58 PM
  4. Ls2 wolf (air go) helmet review
    By ted 06 in forum Motorcycle Accessories/Riding Gear Review
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-29-2015, 05:30 PM
  5. Review: SOL SL68S Odyssey Helmet
    By hatebreeder in forum Motorcycle Accessories/Riding Gear Review
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 12:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •