Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. We have one common religion - Bikeism.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Learn & practice evasive maneuvers.

Our Partners



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Noida
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Hi guys,
    need your help in choosing a bike for city commute. my daily commute will be around 40kms (2way), 80% highway and 20% city. my budget is between 1 ~1.5Lac. i'm stepping into my 30's ,6foot tall, lean build, weighing around 80kgs. i've shortlisted the following bikes after reading through various forums. will be buying the bike in noida

    1. Apache RTR 200 4v -- 1.08 Lac on road for the remora tyre version (the showroom in noida doesn't have the pirelli version. they say maybe another 2~3weeks but not 100% sure)
    2. Honda Hornet - 1.02 on road for dual disc cbs incl accessories and 5yr ext warranty
    3. Suzuki Gixxer naked/sf
    4. Pulsar 180 or 200 (not sure since the new ones come with those labels/graphics which i dont like that much)

    I've TD'd the Apache RTR and Hornet. Out of the two, apache obviously with the larger displacement had more power on offer but the hornet felt more smooth to me. i also had issues adjusting to the gear shifter placement on the apache since my earlier bikes (discover and thunderbird) were central placed with heel shift option. for some reason i didn't feel that discomfort on the hornet's single shifter, maybe its a bit more central placed than the apache.

    i sold my TB350 when i relocated to delhi as i didnt want to deal with the constant maintenance issues. so i've opted not to go for any REs this time. i will try to TD the gixxer and pulsar some time next week.

    i'd appreciate any input from for the above bikes to help me decide

    thanks
    adi

  2. #2
    Moderator The Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gurgaon/ Kanpur
    Posts
    9,646
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Query Approved

    Didn't you find the Apache a bit small for your height? The Pulsar 200NS is to be updated shortly. Check it out before deciding.
    Biking is not about what you have between your legs, its all about how well you use it!!!!!!!

    Give your details here if you want to help your fellow xBhpian stranded in your city

    Touring Blog: Cycling in Mongolia!

  3. #3
    Rusted Ankey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dehradun
    Posts
    1,181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Out of the shortlisted ones, Hornet seems the tallest, which should mean that you will not feel cramped, and the RTR200 is the most powerful, but may feel small for your build. As Monk sir said NS200 is about to be launched, If you can wait for a few months, it could be the right choice. The power of the 200 CC mill and the height of the bike will suit you.
    I would like to thank my legs for supporting me, my arms for being always by my side and my fingers; I could always count on them.

  4. #4
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Hi,
    I would still recommend you to test drive rest of the bikes too and one thing more thing is that as you go in higher capacity the bikes will feel less refined for city rides.
    If you want to good mileage then Hornet or Gixxer will be better bet you can't go wrong with either.
    Regards,
    Mohan

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Noida
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Quote Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
    Query Approved

    Didn't you find the Apache a bit small for your height? The Pulsar 200NS is to be updated shortly. Check it out before deciding.
    the seating position and gear shifting felt uncomfortable. since the 200ns is newly launched i guess i should expect a decent waiting period for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ankey View Post
    Out of the shortlisted ones, Hornet seems the tallest, which should mean that you will not feel cramped, and the RTR200 is the most powerful, but may feel small for your build. As Monk sir said NS200 is about to be launched, If you can wait for a few months, it could be the right choice. The power of the 200 CC mill and the height of the bike will suit you.
    need to buy my ride in 10~15days

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandamudi Mohan Krishna View Post
    Hi,
    I would still recommend you to test drive rest of the bikes too and one thing more thing is that as you go in higher capacity the bikes will feel less refined for city rides.
    If you want to good mileage then Hornet or Gixxer will be better bet you can't go wrong with either.
    Regards,
    Mohan
    planning to go check out the pulsar, gixxer and maybe a yamaha tomorrow

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Noida
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Any other bikes that I should look at? Other than the ones mentioned above. Should be able to stretch the budget a bit for the right one

  7. #7
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    @dextrez.... if you are going for mainly highway ride i would suggest you Hornet based on my last 20 days of owning the one , its has taller gear ratio which will be a boon for highway ride & power delivery of hornet is very linear so it builds up speed gradually... looking at your height i would not suggest gixxer since it has very low ground clearance & best suited for college going guys but on other front hornet has a mature look & will go very well with your height too. Take a test drive of hornet & decide for yourself

  8. #8
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Quote Originally Posted by dexterz View Post
    Any other bikes that I should look at? Other than the ones mentioned above. Should be able to stretch the budget a bit for the right one
    The FZ25, if I may add. I think it has not reached the showrooms of Chennai yet and the managers of a couple of showrooms said it should arrive any time next week. So I think it'll be worth the wait to TD it before settling for other ones. Also you seem to do more of a highway runs than city runs, so if FE isn't among your top priorities you may also consider the Dominar.

    Cheers!

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Noida
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    Quote Originally Posted by vimesh View Post
    @dextrez.... if you are going for mainly highway ride i would suggest you Hornet based on my last 20 days of owning the one , its has taller gear ratio which will be a boon for highway ride & power delivery of hornet is very linear so it builds up speed gradually... looking at your height i would not suggest gixxer since it has very low ground clearance & best suited for college going guys but on other front hornet has a mature look & will go very well with your height too. Take a test drive of hornet & decide for yourself
    tried both gixxer and hornet. liked the feel of both.

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
    The FZ25, if I may add. I think it has not reached the showrooms of Chennai yet and the managers of a couple of showrooms said it should arrive any time next week. So I think it'll be worth the wait to TD it before settling for other ones. Also you seem to do more of a highway runs than city runs, so if FE isn't among your top priorities you may also consider the Dominar.

    Cheers!
    will be buying the bike in delhi/ncr. i'll check with yamaha dealer near my office and see if FZ250 is available for TD

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Noida
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Help required in choosing a city commuter with some power

    i'm waiting to get a td of the FZ25. would a honda cbr150r tick my requirements?(not sure of the availability) seems to be down to fz25/gixxer otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help required: Choosing a bike b/w FZ25 & Dominar
    By KK_HakunaMatata in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-08-2017, 10:27 AM
  2. Premium Commuter 150CC Required !
    By varuog in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-31-2017, 01:07 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 01:51 AM
  4. Help required in choosing my ride
    By Cheetah in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 01:04 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 05:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •