Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. We have one common religion - Bikeism.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Be smooth with your gear shifts.

Our Partners



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdm_9999

Thread: Riding with your sub-conscious mind

  1. #1
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Delhi-NCR, sahibabad
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Riding with your sub-conscious mind

    Riding is an art, an art that needs tens of thousands of kilometers experience just to get the basics right. Yet after covering so many kilometers many people don’t get the basics right and end up becoming the victim of it. To understand proper riding of a two-wheeler you need to perform many actions repetitively every time you sit on the bike. This very act of repetition has a flaw, a flaw that is significant enough to be aware of it.

    When any action is repeated frequently under similar conditions it becomes your habit, it becomes the part of your sub-conscious mind as the action get stored in your sub-conscious because of so many repetitions and then you rarely realize that it is your sub-conscious which is doing the things for you while your conscious mind sleeps into its own world of thoughts/wonderland. This is the perfect recipe for a dangerous scenario as your sub-conscious can only act to normal circumstances under which your riding style has been formed, under which you have performed repetitive actions. So while your sub-conscious will brake at red lights or when you have to stop, it’ll allow you to take turn when you have to, it’ll let you ride at your normal riding speed but when it comes to panic situation where something goes against the sub-conscious riding framework which you have developed over the years of riding, it fails to react, and when the sub-conscious do not find any response from its database of stored responses it send signals to your conscious to wake up and react and that fraction of seconds wasted by your sub-conscious to complete this process, is what makes the difference between a near save and a mishap to happen. Those fraction of seconds can make the difference between you living the happy riding life or living with endless pain/regret.

    Riding is an art, an art that needs you to be 100% aware of your surroundings, an art that needs continuous attention of your conscious mind, every time you perform it, to get it right. This awareness, this self-reminder every time you sit on saddle is what every rider needs to master the art of riding.

    After all riding is what we all enjoy and help us being sane.


    P.S. – Don’t forget to check once in a while that this “self-reminder” has not become a part of your sub-conscious where your conscious self do not take it seriously.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Riding with your sub-conscious mind

    Thread approved.

    Can't help but agree as it happens to the best of us.

    When one has been riding motorcycles for long enough, everything becomes a habit and even if one isn't focused on the road, the ride goes on which is dangerous to say the least. Motorcycles riders do not enjoy the same amount of safety as car drivers and we say this without implying that the drivers can be careless. But even a minor mishap on a motorcycle can be a serious one which may or may not be the case in a car. When riding a motorcycle, the road deserves complete attention of the rider.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Ride safe.

  3. #3
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Delhi-NCR, sahibabad
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Re: Riding with your sub-conscious mind

    Quote Originally Posted by xBhp View Post
    Thread approved.

    Can't help but agree as it happens to the best of us.

    When one has been riding motorcycles for long enough, everything becomes a habit and even if one isn't focused on the road, the ride goes on which is dangerous to say the least. Motorcycles riders do not enjoy the same amount of safety as car drivers and we say this without implying that the drivers can be careless. But even a minor mishap on a motorcycle can be a serious one which may or may not be the case in a car. When riding a motorcycle, the road deserves complete attention of the rider.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Ride safe.

    Thank you for approving the thread.. Having gone through 5 accidents in last 10 months out of which last 2 happened because of above reason and has caused me physical injury.. the only escape from the above rut I see is meditation to keep my mind in present..

  4. #4
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Riding with your sub-conscious mind

    Quote Originally Posted by slevynhawk View Post
    Thank you for approving the thread.. Having gone through 5 accidents in last 10 months out of which last 2 happened because of above reason and has caused me physical injury.. the only escape from the above rut I see is meditation to keep my mind in present..
    I fell victim to the same scenario time and again about 4 years back but never really crashed. Then finally, one fine day, October 2014, the subconscious took over and I got into an accident. Damaged the ligament in my right hand badly, took 6 months to recover and even now feel discomfort when putting weight on the right palm.

    But the good thing is that since then, I am 100% focused on the road whenever I ride. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

  5. #5
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Delhi-NCR, sahibabad
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Riding with your sub-conscious mind

    Quote Originally Posted by sdm_9999 View Post
    I fell victim to the same scenario time and again about 4 years back but never really crashed. Then finally, one fine day, October 2014, the subconscious took over and I got into an accident. Damaged the ligament in my right hand badly, took 6 months to recover and even now feel discomfort when putting weight on the right palm.

    But the good thing is that since then, I am 100% focused on the road whenever I ride. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me
    Well, i am still figuring out how to escape it..Two things that i believe will help are:-

    1. Singing/talking to yourself while riding. This helps in keeping my mind in present.
    2. Meditation, this looks like a long term permanent fix, but is yet to be seen its effects.

  6. #6
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Riding with your sub-conscious mind

    Quote Originally Posted by slevynhawk View Post
    Well, i am still figuring out how to escape it..Two things that i believe will help are:-

    1. Singing/talking to yourself while riding. This helps in keeping my mind in present.
    2. Meditation, this looks like a long term permanent fix, but is yet to be seen its effects.
    Singing actually makes the ride enjoyable even if does not take the subconscious element out A technique that works for me is not trusting anyone. And in Pune traffic, you cannot. Anybody can do something stupid at any point of time resulting in an accident. So I am always on the edge and wary of what the guy right in front or behind me might do. That helps to keep my mind in the moment.
    sun105 likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Heart and mind V/s circumstances..
    By Arpit Mehta in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-12-2016, 12:32 PM
  2. Need urgent help in making up my mind!!!
    By The Stig in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
  3. Mind Riding
    By The Art Of Safe Riding in forum The Art Of Safe Riding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
  4. Mind Games
    By Mindgrinder in forum Who Are You?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 01:54 AM
  5. Guidlines to keep in mind before buying any rx
    By Nikhil Pereira in forum Thumpers,2-Stroke And Exotics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •