Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

#xBhpAxorHelmet #2

Axor
Castrol Power 1

Check engine oil level before every ride.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Hero or Hercules

  1. #1
    Rusted Eshan-P180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Besides my bike.......
    Posts
    2,187
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Hero or Hercules

    Need a good cycle..budget around 10k...Hero, Hercules or BSA would do...Fox, Orbea, Canondale are out of question. Looking for Indian brand...any suggestions please pour in...will be riding cycle directly after 7th std of school....Pics will be helpful.
    Have already googled it but experts like you are better than having search engine information....Will be getting it this weekend (resident of pune, If anyone can accompany, always welcome)

    Both the brands are ok with me as they are in my budget...
    Most of the use will be fitness and riding once a while over the weekend
    In all this i do want 21spd, FS, Disc Brakes. These are my primary requirements.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

    How to wash and lube your bike

    For newbies please click

    KTM DUKE 390 Spare Parts Price List

  2. #2
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Out of coverage area
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you hate yourself? Why do you want a crap bike?

    Listen to the wisdom here:
    BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - The ultimate 'What bike should I buy' thread
    and the words of wisdom from Jeremy Yatt here:
    Cycling Gyan - Culled from BikesZone | FreeRiding
    The first is: Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick any two. If it's cheap, it
    might be light but not strong. And if it is strong it wont be light...

    The big mistake a lot of people make when buying new is to be impressed & influenced by the peripherals like suspensions and brakes. It's like deciding to buy a car based on the sound system rather than the engine and chassis. It's not necessarily wrong but it may not be the right reason to buy it. There is nothing wrong with rim brakes (in fact they work just as well, are more reliable and more serviceable) and dual suspension is a luxury for extreme downhill racers. A 21 speed is really limiting your ratios; 24 is the least you should look for.

    I don't know the bike in question but a dual suspension MTB with disc brakes for Rs8k... it's likely to be a clunker. Which is fine for pootling down to the shops once a month but will make some of the rides a bit more challenging than they need to be.

    u in pune?
    http://www.bikenomads.com/wiki/index.php/Leh - All you ever need to know about getting Leh'd.
    My posting Philosophy

  3. #3
    Rusted Eshan-P180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Besides my bike.......
    Posts
    2,187
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hitanshu View Post
    Do you hate yourself? Why do you want a crap bike?

    Listen to the wisdom here:
    BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - The ultimate 'What bike should I buy' thread
    and the words of wisdom from Jeremy Yatt here:
    Cycling Gyan - Culled from BikesZone | FreeRiding



    u in pune?
    Yes iam from pune. I am not a beginner. Had taken my cycle to mumbai from pune where my mum dissembled the cycle and sold it off as it was untold journey and feared I might ride it back. Have cycled most, the link mentioned above is of no use to me, as i need real hand expereince on some of the models, yes i did find some useful links but all of em are of foreign make.....which iam sadly not looking for at the moment.

    It wont be my first time on 0bhp machines....

    Just confused over the roadeo models and Octane ones...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

    How to wash and lube your bike

    For newbies please click

    KTM DUKE 390 Spare Parts Price List

  4. #4
    Addicted prashk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are a few very good bikes near the 10k budget you have mentioned here. You can get a Btwin Rockrider 5.0 for a price less than 10k, Rockrider 5.1 maybe for ~11k(not sure about the price). You can even look at some of the Schwinn hybrid bicycles. Also as your budget is low, stay away from disc brakes, full suspension - the suspension and brakes used in cheap bikes generally are of pathetic quality and will cause you a LOT of trouble in a very short period of time. Just pick up a bike with simple frame, good tyres and you're good to go. You probably will have to switch to better tyres after buying the bike and riding it for few days (especially if you're getting a Hercules or Hero bike).

    Btw have you decided on what kind of bike you want? Road bike or Mountain or a hybrid? You havent mentioned the details on what kind of riding you're going to do - most importantly the terrain. It could be tarmac roads, or trails/offroading or a mix of these two. For tarmac only type of riding - road bike is better, for offroading - MTBs are the way to go. If you are not sure yet, then get a hybrid which does moderately good on both kinds of biking.

    Among the Indian made hybrid bikes, I suggest only Act 110/110+ or any other Act bicycles by hercules. Stay away from the rest.
    Last edited by prashk; 07-20-2011 at 02:12 PM.

  5. #5
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Out of coverage area
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ah, in which case, I cannot help you - I have done all of my 4000km of cycling in the past 15 months only on my Merida 20V. Maybe you need to pause and consider that 12k can get you decent foreign bikes which may be rather long lasting and that there is a reason why on large serious bike forums, the roadeo and octane get no love.
    http://www.bikenomads.com/wiki/index.php/Leh - All you ever need to know about getting Leh'd.
    My posting Philosophy

  6. #6
    Rusted Eshan-P180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Besides my bike.......
    Posts
    2,187
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prashk View Post
    There are a few very good bikes near the 10k budget you have mentioned here. You can get a Btwin Rockrider 5.0 for a price less than 10k, Rockrider 5.1 maybe for ~11k(not sure about the price). You can even look at some of the Schwinn hybrid bicycles. Also as your budget is low, stay away from disc brakes, full suspension - the suspension and brakes used in cheap bikes generally are of pathetic quality and will cause you a LOT of trouble in a very short period of time. Just pick up a bike with simple frame, good tyres and you're good to go. You probably will have to switch to better tyres after buying the bike and riding it for few days (especially if you're getting a Hercules or Hero bike).

    Btw have you decided on what kind of bike you want? Road bike or Mountain or a hybrid? You havent mentioned the details on what kind of riding you're going to do - most importantly the terrain. It could be tarmac roads, or trails/offroading or a mix of these two. For tarmac only type of riding - road bike is better, for offroading - MTBs are the way to go. If you are not sure yet, then get a hybrid which does moderately good on both kinds of biking.

    Among the Indian made hybrid bikes, I suggest only Act 110/110+ or any other Act bicycles by hercules. Stay away from the rest.
    My riding would be morning or evening fitness....I do not wish to enter mountain trails or even get close to ARAI Range (close by cycling range)....Using it to simply ride twice or thrice in a week....FS is compulsory since i use to ride a MTB before...Ranger Swing but that was way long back...so the comfort level is good..The ACT models you mentioned, yes they top the list because of their basic frame...

    Quote Originally Posted by hitanshu View Post
    Ah, in which case, I cannot help you - I have done all of my 4000km of cycling in the past 15 months only on my Merida 20V. Maybe you need to pause and consider that 12k can get you decent foreign bikes which may be rather long lasting and that there is a reason why on large serious bike forums, the roadeo and octane get no love.
    Merida 20V??? i have no clue buddy since iam not aware of it...if you can highlite some points and features including cost would be great...
    Yeah they dont even get infactuated as none of the forums have them....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

    How to wash and lube your bike

    For newbies please click

    KTM DUKE 390 Spare Parts Price List

  7. #7
    Rusted nipunblaze135LS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    DELHI
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eshan-P180 View Post
    In all this i do want 21spd, FS, Disc Brakes. These are my primary requirements.
    on a 10k budget you will get disk brakes which are in no way better then V brakes, V's will be easy to maintain and will give you consistent performance.

    for 10k budget

    https://www.bsahercules.com/product-...es.asp?pid=200


    Increase your budget and get something like these

    Track & Trail - Products

    Track & Trail - Products

    you will get better quality components, reliability and service from these brands. you can get 10% discount on mrp from trackandtrail.

  8. #8
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Out of coverage area
    Posts
    595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ok, expand your budget by 1.5k and buy a firefox target. That should be it. Indian brand, and a cycle even the foreign cycle enthusiasts approve.
    http://www.bikenomads.com/wiki/index.php/Leh - All you ever need to know about getting Leh'd.
    My posting Philosophy

  9. #9
    Rusted Eshan-P180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Besides my bike.......
    Posts
    2,187
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hitanshu View Post
    ok, expand your budget by 1.5k and buy a firefox target. That should be it. Indian brand, and a cycle even the foreign cycle enthusiasts approve.
    Yeah... m in same thoughts...any idea about this - Firefox Bikes Full Suspension Dart 2.6 21SP

    The guy there is qouting 11k which is ok...i mean 1k not a big difference....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

    How to wash and lube your bike

    For newbies please click

    KTM DUKE 390 Spare Parts Price List

  10. #10
    Rusted nipunblaze135LS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    DELHI
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eshan-P180 View Post
    Yeah... m in same thoughts...any idea about this - Firefox Bikes Full Suspension Dart 2.6 21SP

    The guy there is qouting 11k which is ok...i mean 1k not a big difference....
    Dont go for dual suspension crap. To ride tarmac you dont need dual suspension even on most of the trails dual suspension is not needed. It will decrease your efficiency unless it is of very high quality and standards. Buy a Hardtail

    Target is a good buy in that budget.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 223
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 07:10 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 10:39 PM
  3. Hero Honda to become 'Hero Moto'
    By Digital_shubhi in forum News
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 10:05 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
  5. BSA Hercules Cyclothon
    By ravisanjeevk in forum Bicycles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •