Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. We have one common religion - Bikeism.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Keep your helmet tightly strapped up.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Thread: Franklin Selstad - Top 20 finalist - Biker of the Year 2011

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Franklin Selstad - Top 20 finalist - Biker of the Year 2011

About Franklin Selstad: "Started riding in the year 1980, although under-aged to ride a two wheeler, Passion for biking made me break the Law! Got my License in 1982. My first two wheeler is a Vijay Pushpak scooter, later used 3 bajaj Chetaks, and in 1987 I brought a Yamaha RX-100, then in 2005 I got a CBZ (classic ES), now Im riding a P-220-DTS-Fi and 1987 Yamaha RD-350, and planning to go for a GT 650 very soon."

Franklin's Intro Video:

Do I think I have contributed to the motorcycling community, however a
    small way it may be?

I'm a biker before any of the motorcycling communities ever existed in India, I think Biking is in my blood. After Riding bikes through my teens, I got an offer from my dad for upgrading to a car, as he is more concerned about safety, but I refused it because of the "Caged" feeling of driving a car is not my taste. The freedom of biking cannot be described in words. Here is a quote from the great Soichiro Honda "Driving a car is like sitting in the living room. Riding a motorcycle is like riding a Horse-its driving and controlling something that is almost alive". In the mid 1980's I traveled regularly to Chennai to attend the annual speed festival at Sholavaram airstrip, The Mc Dowell Grand Prix, Its an annual pilgrimage for me. After being a spectator for several years, in 1988 decided to take part in the Group D novice class on my Yamaha RX 100. Being Native of a small town called Rajahmundry-Andhra Pradesh which is 650 KM from the Chennai race track, as student it used to be very difficult even to attend the annual race event, so imagine taking part in the race. Dad is completely against Motor racing, so I secretly started planning the trip to Chennai. First I have to obtain my FMSCI Racing license from the Madras Motor-sports club, so two months prior to the race I traveled to Madras (Chennai) without any knowledge where the club is and what I have to do to get the license. Mr. Umesh bal of MMSC who came to my rescue and explained me all the process to obtain the license, first I have to visit the Clubs official doctor to get the Physical examination, eye test, colour blindness test, ECG, BP etc. after getting the physical fitness certificate, I came back to the club, filled all the necessary forms and submitted. They promised me that the FMSCI license will be sent by post in a week to my address. I did all this in one day and returned to my home town. Saved Rs. 8000 from my pocket money and contribution from friends, got the bike serviced, changed all the control cables, both tyres, and took the bike to Chennai by train, and took part in the race in February 1989. After completing my education in the early 1990s and joining the Job, getting married, my passion for biking is still there, but got a little inactive until one day I saw a small write-up about XBHP in Bike India magazine in 2004, and joined immediately. I must say that only after joining XBHP, I started my second innings in biking, started doing weekend rides, met the Xbhp team of Sunny, Sunil G, Gasoline Junkey, Bunny Puniya in 2006 during the GIR (Great Indian Road trip) who stayed the night in my town and continued Riding on the next day to Visakhapatnam. After all these years, (Im 45 now) almost 30 years of Biking, i'm a biker with lots of Zeal and passion. Planning to do the Iron Butt Association's Saddle sore in this winter,( after a failed attempt in 2009) On my P 220 DTS-Fi,

How can I contribute more in the future to the motorcycling community?
    My contribution to the Motorcycling community in the future is, I want to advice the young bikers to be more active in Biking. Back in my days, there is no Internet, so it used to be very difficult to talk/discuss with another person who is passionate about bikes, so obtaining technical knowledge and information about bikes is only through Motoring magazines. Motor sports clubs in India are only in the Metros so a biker like me in a small town cannot interact with the clubs or know about the rides or events. So, this is the Prime time for biking, Ride as frequently as you can, Circuit Racing has become a lot simpler these days, all State of the art Bikes are available in our country. I am still kicking my self that I should be born in the 80s or 90s to enjoy all these Biking activity going on in India!

My Touring Experience
    Total Kms. Clocked

Over 4 lakh kilometers in 30+ years of biking

Best Ride
    My best ride is the recent Iron butt association (USA)'s Saddle Sore in the year 2009, completed successfully but could not get Certification from IBA due to end of the ride witness problem.

One dream ride that I want to do
    Riding all the way from Rajahmundry (AP) to Delhi (1900 Kms +) to attend the Auto Expo in the year 2012

Places I have ridden

All over Andhra Pradesh

Best touring Bike according to me

Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi

Tips to budding tourers
    Touring in India is in its Prime time today, Tour as far as you can, visit all the exotic locations in India, concur the Himalayas, but never forget to Ride safe and Wear all the safety gear, when ever you mount the bike.

My Racing Experience
    About my racing career

In the mid 1980's I traveled regularly to Chennai to attend the annual speed festival at Sholavaram airstrip, The Mc Dowell Grand Prix, Its an annual pilgrimage for me. After being a spectator for several years, in 1988 decided to take part in the Group D novice class on my Yamaha RX 100. Being Native of a small town called Rajahmundry-Andhra Pradesh which is 650 KM from the Chennai race track, as student it used to be very difficult even to attend the annual race event, so imagine taking part in the race. After a lot of effort, Saved Rs. 8000 from my pocket money and contribution from friends, got the bike serviced, changed all the control cables, both tyres, and took the bike to Chennai by train, and took part in the race in February 1989. done all this without the knowledge of my Dad. He will chain me if he knows that I am going to take part in a Bike Race.

Best Racing(track/off Road) Bike
    Pulsat 220 DTS-Fi

Tips To Budding Racers
    Start at an early age, as the "Killer Instinct" to Race and win will stay from Late teens to Mid 20's Being Physically fit is the key to Racing, lesser rider weight is an added advantage. Practice on the track as frequently as you can.

My Other Experience
    Mechanic/ Service Etc.

Serviced my RX-100 since 1987, never visited a mechanic for repair/service

(Been There Done That) x 3.25

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hei Frank, nice to see you in the top 20. Congrats and all the best.
    "As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx man, fingers crossed (hands & legs ) & waiting for tomorrow's(2nd Aug) result
    Last edited by frankpilli; 08-01-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Biker of the Year -2013

1987 Yamaha RD-350-B
    2009 Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi
    2017 aprilia SR 150