Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

The slower the vehicle, the quicker it can turn.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Heart in mouth moments.

  1. #1
    Moderator Divya Sharan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore/Bokaro
    Posts
    8,521
    Mentioned
    824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default Heart in mouth moments.

    Hi all,

    The idea of this thread came to me today only. I'm sure this happens to all of us at some point of time.
    I was riding pillion to a colleague at office. He rides an RTR 160.

    Man, that experience cannot be stated exactly in words. I mean, throughout the ride, my heart was in my mouth literally. I was shit scared.
    The way he cut through traffic, speeds he maintained. (Off course lidless, I wore his lid to save my head)

    This experience has left me a little disturbed. Watching people ride rash from your bike is one thing and experiencing it yourself when you're not riding is another!

    I want all my biker bros to share their stories and how they coped with the trauma.

    [NOTE- The guy mentioned above is a non-xbhpian and doesn't care whatever I told him about rules and safety gear on the way. I'm not going out with him again.]

  2. #2
    Super Moderator sunilg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ghaziabad
    Posts
    8,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Discussion approved.
    (Been There Done That) x 3.25

  3. #3
    Rusted muztariq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Delhi_Hyderabad
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    There was this guy near my home, of my age (around 16 then), who would steal his Dad's 100 cc Hero Honda's (CD100SS) keys in the afternoon after his dad sleeps. He would ride fast and rash. One day I went with him.. and man we nearly had an accident with a truck. The tyre of his bike was literally fully inside the rear of the truck when he turned the handle to come out clean. Horrifying experience. I happen to ride with him many times even after the incident, we had no other option! We survived that very risky juvenile phase of our lives..

  4. #4
    Rusted Honda_CBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Korba (C.G)>>Jamshedpur (J.H)
    Posts
    1,337
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    there are so many!! First of all, i dont like to ride pillion for simple reason, nothings under my control..But there are scary moments even when I'm riding/driving.when I was in 7th standard, I learned about the 'brake overheating' the wrong way. i mean, the scary way.in 2010, i learned about, 'what happens when slave cylinder & master cylinder go bad' while a drive.. dont ask, brake paddle goes down.. to the floor and there's nothing left to call brakes!!these were the scariest moment I had without any damage or injury. Rest were the moments I remember of "just before accidents"

  5. #5
    Rusted aargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    KATN
    Posts
    10,259
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sharing one that I can recall that happened last Sunday enroute from Kollengode to Nemmara as early at 7:00 AM; as I'd partly lost the way, was trying to catch up the distance & all of a sudden there was a steep left turn which was not expected at all as the road also forked straight; since I was doing good speed, I couldn't lean or brake to take the curve either; all I could do was break harder that yielded in slowing down & I just entered to the straight road to halt completely.

    That road was really a tricky one & I'd the haunt of it through the rest of my ride for the day!!!
    Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
    Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
    ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

  6. #6
    Rusted Sushrut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nasik, maharashtra
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Happened with me, when I was riding myself.Was on the highway, 80kmph.A Royal Enfield rider was ahead.Suddenly, he reduced the speed due to someone coming in his lane.I was on brakes, the rear slided a little bit.Thankfully, everything went fine.Some other day, I entered a corner too fast, recognized this, straightened the bike and braked.In mid corner.Heading towards offside of the road.Everything went on fine too.Then there is this instance when I was riding in the campus.An Esteem suddenly came in my way on a blind intersection.My bike fishtailed frantically before hitting the boot of the car.Just the cover of the right indicator conked off.The Esteem boot had a dent.

  7. #7
    Moderator Samarth 619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rajasthan
    Posts
    4,770
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    Frankly speaking, I'm one of those guys who're tigers as riders, and bheegi billi (scared cat) as pillions.. But I have my ways to avoid such rides. Here are some Tips for pillions, troubled by such Dhoom-inspired riders:

    1. Try telling him politely, about the mileage, safety, etc.

    2. If that doesn't work, start Grabbing the rider tighter, as he increases speed (as if you are scared), and don't talk to him even he if talks, until he slows down. It works in all cases, with all genders. Its' tested by me.

    3. If the situation gets out of control, tell him you dropped your mobile/ purse... Get the bike stopped, Walk back 300 metres to get it, and don't come back. Get a bus or something... And 10 minutes later, phone Mr. Dhoom and tell him you found another friend along the way and went with him, and that he can go.

    ===
    Coming back to the topic, I get scary moments every 10-15 days or so. Too many to remember. Mine is a wild crazy city where everyone tries to find the shortest road from point A to B.

  8. #8
    Moderator Divya Sharan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bangalore/Bokaro
    Posts
    8,521
    Mentioned
    824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunilg View Post
    Discussion approved.
    Thank you so much sir!

    Quote Originally Posted by muztariq View Post
    I happen to ride with him many times even after the incident, we had no other option! We survived that very risky juvenile phase of our lives..
    True that. Even I'd a few similar rides during my school days.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_CBF View Post
    there are so many!
    these were the scariest moment I had without any damage or injury. Rest were the moments I remember of "just before accidents"
    Well put, especially the last line. Lots to learn.

    Quote Originally Posted by aargee View Post
    Sharing one that I can recall that happened last Sunday enroute from Kollengode to Nemmara as early at 7:00 AM; as I'd partly lost the way, was trying to catch up the distance & all of a sudden there was a steep left turn which was not expected at all as the road also forked straight; since I was doing good speed, I couldn't lean or brake to take the curve either; all I could do was break harder that yielded in slowing down & I just entered to the straight road to halt completely.

    That road was really a tricky one & I'd the haunt of it through the rest of my ride for the day!!!
    That was a tense situation. Glad it was morning time with not-so-much traffic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sushrut View Post
    Happened with me, when I was riding myself.Was on the highway, 80kmph.A Royal Enfield rider was ahead.Suddenly, he reduced the speed due to someone coming in his lane.I was on brakes, the rear slided a little bit.Thankfully, everything went fine.Some other day, I entered a corner too fast, recognized this, straightened the bike and braked.In mid corner.Heading towards offside of the road.Everything went on fine too.Then there is this instance when I was riding in the campus.An Esteem suddenly came in my way on a blind intersection.My bike fishtailed frantically before hitting the boot of the car.Just the cover of the right indicator conked off.The Esteem boot had a dent.
    Lucky you. So many close calls. Even I'd a similar experience of going too fast in the corner. Almost fell down!

    Quote Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
    Frankly speaking, I'm one of those guys who're tigers as riders, and bheegi billi (scared cat) as pillions.. But I have my ways to avoid such rides. Here are some Tips for pillions, troubled by such Dhoom-inspired riders:
    Nice tips. Will take a leaf from these tips next time!

  9. #9
    Rusted aargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    KATN
    Posts
    10,259
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
    That was a tense situation. Glad it was morning time with not-so-much traffic
    Exactly my thoughts; had there been a private bus or something coming in any of the other direction, there would be RIP Aargee thread running here in xBhp
    Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
    Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
    ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

  10. #10
    Rusted Shibadip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    1,241
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I had many. Just telling the recent two.
    1) Gave my friend my new 200NS, and I was on Pillion. Some dodges he did on a busy and narrow road, really got my Heart in mouth!!. Luckily both the tyres, and my bike held up.
    2) Yesterday went for a ride along with the same friend(he on his bike, while me on mine). Suddenly out of no where, he made a dangerous dodge right in front of me( he was on my right, and suddenly came cutting to my way), and his rear tyre was like half an inch away from my front tyre, and we were doing speeds somewhere in the 50's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Relationships change, evolve, and it goes deep.
    Only thing I can say - "The storm is coming"

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CBZ heart transplant..
    By karthik_k in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 04:39 AM
  2. WTF moments while riding.
    By 2strokerama in forum Coffee Lounge:Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
  3. To go with my heart or NO
    By amit71176 in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM
  4. A Ride Through The Heart
    By Pankaj trivedi in forum xBhp Videos
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 07:23 AM
  5. Cleaning the heart???
    By Neo922 in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 06:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •