Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Always use both brakes to reduce speed.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Big and the Small of Motorcycling

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Old Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Noida
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    10
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The Big and the Small of Motorcycling

    Motorcycling is as much about hundreds of miles as it is about thousandths of an inch. In fact, all who ride hundreds of miles do so because inside the motorcycle, certain vital ‘distances’ stay within a few thousandths of an inch. Change them even a few percentage points within their scale and context and you get a bike that won‘t take you anywhere. And this carries a lesson in it for the rider. That the seemingly small, assumed at times to be insignificant, can in fact turn out to be the vital denominator. Neglect it and you can even end up paying for the negligence with your life. Lets extend the parallels to riding . Make a habit of setting up a turn with precision or braking with accuracy and you ride on that exactitude for thousands of miles over years and decades. No matter what and where the roads are, how bad or good the traffic is and what bike you are riding on, knowing where to place your bike and how to place it there with inch-perfect accuracy guarantees mishap-free accumulated miles on the odometer.

    For a true motorcyclist, riding is not just about riding a bike. Its also an opportunity to extend the lessons learnt and skills acquired while riding to the rest of his life. Imagine a biker-student as a picture of concentration while riding on a twisty mountain road. Get him to use the same focus in his academics and watch his performance soar. Imagine the clarity of thought needed during a high-speed run when going long-distance on a highway. Append the same lucidity to his bigger decisions in life and you have a sure-fire success story unfolding then and there. Imagine the caution he exercises on unfamiliar roads, borne not just out of the fear of the unknown but also out of the knowing of his steed’s limits. Think with the same familiar caution before leaping into a life-long commitment and you have a champion of pragmatism on your hands.

    Life is but an extension and amalgam of not just what we do but also how well and honestly we do it. And for a motorcyclist, the power and relevance of the above statement is all too obvious, day in and day out. Motorcycling requires a measure of honesty that has few parallels. Allow your thoughts to stray while riding and sooner or later you sure get caught by an inappropriate action for a given situation. Ride when you ride. The bike does not care whether you are a hot-shot in your career, an achiever in academics or even the jet-setting head honcho of a global corporation. Botch up on the entry speed on a sharp left and the bike WILL run wide. It only cares about your skills and the only way to get those skills to work in your favour is to modestly remain just an honest motorcyclist while riding those two wheels. It’s a small thing. Too common to be reminded about. And that’s precisely why it is the easiest to neglect.

    Happy riding….and happier living.
    slevynhawk likes this.
    I don't let my motorcycles interfere with my motorcycling...

    Join xBhp On


  2. #2
    MotoGrapher Sunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Delhi, India, India
    Posts
    8,149
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hard Torque Approved

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    lucknow
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    cool man i liked it i m new here

  4. #4
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    lajpat ngr, new delhi
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fox
    The bike does not care whether you are a hot-shot in your career, an achiever in academics or even the jet-setting head honcho of a global corporation.
    It can't get any better than this!

    ps- Last year during my board examinations I read 3 Int. bike mags before the SST exam,just to ease out, and I came out witha high score!!!(I know this is blankly connected)
    No Nonsense Biker.

  5. #5
    Addicted Nirvana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Aamchi Mumbai
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Amazing writeup. At this point of time the only thing i know that i am honest with is my bike. Can open up to her anytime and anywhere.
    Wish i could implement the same in all the aspects of my life.
    No second thoughts about the lessons learnt with motorcycling.
    My learning curve has always went up and probably is the only curve not affected by recession.

    p.s: dont know if this it OT, just came out. Cheers

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India.
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb Nicely Written...

    Great to read such an article. But dear brethren as an advise do try to keep the language simple as sometimes people like me who don't have enough grasp on the language they call as English, have hard time reading and then interpreting the meaning. Or may be its not about english but it seem to be cluttered with words. Like mine making it difficult to read.

    Maybe i am wrong but it doesn't matter as i need to speak my mind out.

  7. #7
    Rusted Mindgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bangalore/Delhi
    Posts
    755
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farazsaeedrules View Post
    Great to read such an article. But dear brethren as an advise do try to keep the language simple as sometimes people like me who don't have enough grasp on the language they call as English, have hard time reading and then interpreting the meaning. Or may be its not about english but it seem to be cluttered with words. Like mine making it difficult to read.

    Maybe i am wrong but it doesn't matter as i need to speak my mind out.
    its hard torque

  8. #8
    CommuTOURer satyenpoojary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    On road
    Posts
    6,783
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nice Hard Torque (as usual )

    Loved the use of word "exactitude"....
    Super CommuTOURer™ - Talk less, Ride more

    .: FB :.|.: TW :.|*Do Not Click!*|I
    follow POWERDRIFT:.

    #Give thy opinion, write em, dont throw em
    #Everyone errs, accept it, defending/cribbing about it only makes it worse
    #Dont defend a manufacturer as if you work for them
    #Write. Think. If relevant hit submit. If not hit yourself
    #Be kind in your choice of words, you never know who would make you gulp em
    ™ Satyen Poojary

  9. #9
    Rusted motormania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fox View Post
    Motorcycling is as much about hundreds of miles as it is about thousandths of an inch. In fact, all who ride hundreds of miles do so because inside the motorcycle, certain vital ‘distances’ stay within a few thousandths of an inch. Change them even a few percentage points within their scale and context and you get a bike that won‘t take you anywhere. And this carries a lesson in it for the rider. That the seemingly small, assumed at times to be insignificant, can in fact turn out to be the vital denominator. Neglect it and you can even end up paying for the negligence with your life. Lets extend the parallels to riding . Make a habit of setting up a turn with precision or braking with accuracy and you ride on that exactitude for thousands of miles over years and decades. No matter what and where the roads are, how bad or good the traffic is and what bike you are riding on, knowing where to place your bike and how to place it there with inch-perfect accuracy guarantees mishap-free accumulated miles on the odometer.

    For a true motorcyclist, riding is not just about riding a bike. Its also an opportunity to extend the lessons learnt and skills acquired while riding to the rest of his life. Imagine a biker-student as a picture of concentration while riding on a twisty mountain road. Get him to use the same focus in his academics and watch his performance soar. Imagine the clarity of thought needed during a high-speed run when going long-distance on a highway. Append the same lucidity to his bigger decisions in life and you have a sure-fire success story unfolding then and there. Imagine the caution he exercises on unfamiliar roads, borne not just out of the fear of the unknown but also out of the knowing of his steed’s limits. Think with the same familiar caution before leaping into a life-long commitment and you have a champion of pragmatism on your hands.

    Life is but an extension and amalgam of not just what we do but also how well and honestly we do it. And for a motorcyclist, the power and relevance of the above statement is all too obvious, day in and day out. Motorcycling requires a measure of honesty that has few parallels. Allow your thoughts to stray while riding and sooner or later you sure get caught by an inappropriate action for a given situation. Ride when you ride. The bike does not care whether you are a hot-shot in your career, an achiever in academics or even the jet-setting head honcho of a global corporation. Botch up on the entry speed on a sharp left and the bike WILL run wide. It only cares about your skills and the only way to get those skills to work in your favour is to modestly remain just an honest motorcyclist while riding those two wheels. It’s a small thing. Too common to be reminded about. And that’s precisely why it is the easiest to neglect.

    Happy riding….and happier living.
    Amazing and fabulous HT...you just spoke out my mind and heart..this is the exact feeling that i experience after a solo ride,when i sit down to analyse my riding performance and mistakes.......the thing mentioned about concentration is 100% true which did imply on me when i started off and noticed myself too.....thanks a ton sir for speaking out my heart,a true biker's heart....
    You can take the ride away from me but you cannot take the rider out of my soul.........

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Old Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Noida
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    10
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    It can't get any better than this!

    ps- Last year during my board examinations I read 3 Int. bike mags before the SST exam,just to ease out, and I came out with a high score!!!(I know this is blankly connected)
    It can....but this will suffice for the moment I guess
    The connection is remote but very much there 'augusta'. Biking is about passion and commitment. And you need those two to succeed in anything else too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    Amazing writeup. At this point of time the only thing i know that i am honest with is my bike. Can open up to her anytime and anywhere.
    Wish i could implement the same in all the aspects of my life.
    No second thoughts about the lessons learnt with motorcycling.
    My learning curve has always went up and probably is the only curve not affected by recession.
    Thanks. And yes, nothing in biking is far from other avenues of life. Only perception can bring in the distance or vanquish it.


    Quote Originally Posted by farazsaeedrules View Post
    Great to read such an article. But dear brethren as an advise do try to keep the language simple as sometimes people like me who don't have enough grasp on the language they call as English, have hard time reading and then interpreting the meaning. Or may be its not about english but it seem to be cluttered with words. Like mine making it difficult to read.

    Maybe i am wrong but it doesn't matter as i need to speak my mind out.
    Thanks for the good words 'faraz'. As for the difficulty and 'cluttering', well, an effort makes for sweeter fruit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
    its hard torque
    True...

    Quote Originally Posted by satyenpoojary View Post
    Nice Hard Torque (as usual )

    Loved the use of word "exactitude"....
    Thanks Satyen.

    Quote Originally Posted by motormania View Post
    Amazing and fabulous HT...you just spoke out my mind and heart..this is the exact feeling that i experience after a solo ride,when i sit down to analyse my riding performance and mistakes.......the thing mentioned about concentration is 100% true which did imply on me when i started off and noticed myself too.....thanks a ton sir for speaking out my heart,a true biker's heart....
    Thanks and welcome. The best use of riding is in growing within, evolving as the truest 'professional', both in skills and temperament.
    I don't let my motorcycles interfere with my motorcycling...

    Join xBhp On


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Photo Feature]: Motorcycling Posters
    By Old Fox in forum General Biking Discussion
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 12:20 AM
  2. [xBhp Universal Thread]: A small modification done on Honda Unicorn
    By arjunb25 in forum Universal Threads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
  3. Xbhp Delhi: Breakfast + too Small ride Nov 16
    By kunjalsingh in forum xBhp Offline Meets(G2G's)
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 02:53 AM
  4. SMALL G2G ON 16th..666. D SATAN G2G...*pix
    By rollingthunder_7041 in forum xBhp Offline Meets(G2G's)
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 09:48 AM
  5. A Small g2g of SBKs on my B'day
    By amar in forum xBhp Offline Meets(G2G's)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 03:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •