Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Tubeless tyres are better than tubed ones.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Doubt on Pulsar 220 DTSi's Air Filter

  1. #1
    Addicted rockingrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Doubt on Pulsar 220 DTSi's Air Filter

    Hi guys,

    I've been one of the long time guest viewers of Xbhp and learnt a lot through this. I have a query on a small mod (Dont know whether i can call it a mod) i've made on my P220 DTSi.

    I Was running on experiment for the last three weeks. Results are impressive.

    Experiment - Running pulsar 220 with out the vent (A strange air inlet thing on top of the filter box).

    Process - So simple. Removed the vent and Re-Tuned the carb.

    Results - Pretty impressive. The bike growls like half K&N and picks up speed so so easily... Other bikes on the road sway off my way.

    Observation- obviously the filter gets dirty a bit sooner, but cleaning it not a big deal at all anyways...

    FE- prior to this the FE was 35-36 ish and now its 33-34 ish...

    My doubt is I am pretty happy with this setup. But most of my friends say that the dust particles will enter carb and in due course the engine and spoil the soup. But i cant find a valid point in their argument as the stock setup is almost similar. Can u guys please throw some light on this as they relate this with the life of the engine. Waiting for your replies amigos!
    This is not just a means of Transportation. Its a vital life component!!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Noor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Query approved and moved
    Happiness is finding you have another Gear left....

    Join xBhp On


  3. #3
    Honda DIO HET 2014 Aneesh@4GHz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kollam,Kerala
    Posts
    3,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think you removed the air inlet duct,Removing it will create sound,No changes to performance and the air filter will become dirty earlier.

  4. #4
    Addicted rockingrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aneesh@4GHz View Post
    I think you removed the air inlet duct,Removing it will create sound,No changes to performance and the air filter will become dirty earlier.
    The dirty part you said is true. But There is really a marginal difference as I tested once again by replacing the inlet duct.
    This is not just a means of Transportation. Its a vital life component!!

  5. #5
    Honda DIO HET 2014 Aneesh@4GHz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kollam,Kerala
    Posts
    3,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by rockingrider View Post
    The dirty part you said is true. But There is really a marginal difference as I tested once again by replacing the inlet duct.
    Technically there is no way to get an increase in power AFAIK.How did you know that the power has increased?

  6. #6
    Addicted rockingrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aneesh@4GHz View Post
    Technically there is no way to get an increase in power AFAIK.How did you know that the power has increased?
    I cant run and Dyno's for this. But the bike is quicker and more responsive with this setup. I can feel this being a daily rider on the same hectic roads.
    This is not just a means of Transportation. Its a vital life component!!

  7. #7
    Rusted Centaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    C G S Colony, Bombay
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tried out the K&N on my 220 and now back to stock.
    Didn't notice much improvement... at least not to make any difference except for the noise.
    Was getting around 37 kmpl with the K&N and upjetting and riding at 4k to 6k rpm.
    Now, getting almost the same with stock and bigger jet (would like to know if it's okay to run with the bigger jet)
    Nice to get back to the stock sound....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bike on the road is worth two in the shed
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Young riders pick a destination and go... Old riders pick a direction and go

  8. #8
    Addicted rockingrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Centaur View Post
    Tried out the K&N on my 220 and now back to stock.
    Didn't notice much improvement... at least not to make any difference except for the noise.
    Was getting around 37 kmpl with the K&N and upjetting and riding at 4k to 6k rpm.
    Now, getting almost the same with stock and bigger jet (would like to know if it's okay to run with the bigger jet)
    Nice to get back to the stock sound....
    Which model you've used in K&N. What was the performance difference. How is the performance with the bigger jet. Any difference from stock performance? (Too many questions I guess )
    This is not just a means of Transportation. Its a vital life component!!

  9. #9
    Rusted Centaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    C G S Colony, Bombay
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockingrider View Post
    Which model you've used in K&N. What was the performance difference. How is the performance with the bigger jet. Any difference from stock performance? (Too many questions I guess )
    I had the 1060 with upjetting, but didn't find the difference to be too noticeable except for the noise .
    Have removed the K&N but kept the jet just to see what happens....still getting around 37+ kmpl with pillion (me 120 + wife 63)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bike on the road is worth two in the shed
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Young riders pick a destination and go... Old riders pick a direction and go

  10. #10
    Rusted Drifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mumbai,Dombivli
    Posts
    713
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Centaur View Post
    I had the 1060 with upjetting, but didn't find the difference to be too noticeable except for the noise .
    Have removed the K&N but kept the jet just to see what happens....still getting around 37+ kmpl with pillion (me 120 + wife 63)
    Sirji,if you didnt notice any significant difference even after upjetting the jet with the K&N on,while even getting the same mileage then I think you need to bore the jet again with a drill bit slightly bigger than used before.But I tell you one thing Sir,these FF air filters does more bad than good,requires a lot of trial and error method and you cannot hit the block in just one try!Stock set up is always reliable.:-)

    D.I.Y-Valve clearance setting RTR180
    D.I.Y-RTR180 brake fluid replacing/brake bleeding
    D.I.Y-RTR180 brake pad replacing/cleaning
    Exploded view of Mikuni BS-29 carb

    A motorcycle functions entirely in accordance with the laws of reason, and a study of the art of motorcycle maintenance is really a miniature study of the art of rationality itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pipercross Air filter for PULSAR 150 dtsi (july 2005)
    By abhijeetbuzz in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 12:46 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 01:51 AM
  3. Pulsar 220 Air Filter Problems
    By gautham8219 in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 12:46 AM
  4. k&n air filter for pulsar 150 old model
    By vipuljain01 in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •