Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Castrol Power 1

Regularly check tyre pressures.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Apache RTR160 issues

  1. #1
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Apache RTR160 issues

    Hello guys,

    My 4 month old RTR160 (1450 km, 2 free services done, using Shell AX5 engine oil) is troubling me:

    1) Engine misfiring: I had this issue right from day 1 but it was fixed during 1st servicing. The issue resurfaced after 2nd servicing and it still persists. I told the SVC guys to fix it yet again. They kept my bike for a day and returned it to me saying they've cleaned the spark plug.

    Bike makes "phat-phat-phat" sound at high RPM (especially when rolling down a slope). SVC guys have given up and have advised me to use better quality petrol and additives. I'm using normal HP petrol. Should I switch to "Speed" petrol. Will doing so fix this issue of engine misfiring?

    2) Front disc brake makes loud screeching noise when I apply the brake. This issue persists since 2nd servicing. It was non-existent until then. What should be done to fix this? SVC guys didn't do anything.

    3) Idling RPM varies according to surrounding temperature and engine temperature. After riding my bike continuously for 15 mins, idling RPM shoots up to almost 2.5k RPM. How to fix this? SVC guys have given up. They're unable to fix it. Do all RTRs have this issue?

    4) There are some noticeable scratches on my bike including a couple of them on the headlight. How to remove such scratches?

    RTR owners and others please help me out...

  2. #2
    Super Moderator sunilg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ghaziabad
    Posts
    8,268
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Query approved.
    (Been There Done That) x 3.25

  3. #3
    Addicted UTKARSH STUNTY SHARMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Pathankot,Punjab
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iChaitanya View Post
    Hello guys,

    My 4 month old RTR160 (1450 km, 2 free services done, using Shell AX5 engine oil) is troubling me:

    1) Engine misfiring: I had this issue right from day 1 but it was fixed during 1st servicing. The issue resurfaced after 2nd servicing and it still persists. I told the SVC guys to fix it yet again. They kept my bike for a day and returned it to me saying they've cleaned the spark plug.

    Bike makes "phat-phat-phat" sound at high RPM (especially when rolling down a slope). SVC guys have given up and have advised me to use better quality petrol and additives. I'm using normal HP petrol. Should I switch to "Speed" petrol. Will doing so fix this issue of engine misfiring?

    2) Front disc brake makes loud screeching noise when I apply the brake. This issue persists since 2nd servicing. It was non-existent until then. What should be done to fix this? SVC guys didn't do anything.

    3) Idling RPM varies according to surrounding temperature and engine temperature. After riding my bike continuously for 15 mins, idling RPM shoots up to almost 2.5k RPM. How to fix this? SVC guys have given up. They're unable to fix it. Do all RTRs have this issue?

    4) There are some noticeable scratches on my bike including a couple of them on the headlight. How to remove such scratches?

    RTR owners and others please help me out...
    The bike giving phat phat sound and the rpm rising too 2.5 are clear signs that your bike is running too lean. Get the carburettor tuned from a good mechanic be it outside the svc.If that dosent solve he problem check

    1.Inlet to cylinder head
    2.Air filter
    3.Tappet clearence
    4.spark plug replacement(ignore if done before)
    5.If all these dont solve the problem then u are a shikar of faulty tps.


    Better first remove the connector of the TPS (red small box fixed with chasis under the tank) from the Wiring harness and ride the bike and check for the exisiting probs. If they are solved then u have a damaged TPS . If so replace it and till then ride with TPS disconnected. It costs 120 INR. if no then check all the 4 items along with carb tune.


    . check the pad wear and if they still have some juice then they are trapped with dirt which is making thee screeching sound.If this happens only on low speed, get wheel bearing checked
    Last edited by UTKARSH STUNTY SHARMA; 01-11-2012 at 01:34 AM.

  4. #4
    Rusted aargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    KATN
    Posts
    10,268
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UTKARSH STUNTY SHARMA View Post
    2;how old are ur breakpads
    ..........
    Quote Originally Posted by iChaitanya View Post
    My 4 month old RTR160 (1450 km
    Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
    Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
    ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

  5. #5
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UTKARSH STUNTY SHARMA View Post
    The bike giving phat phat sound and the rpm rising too 2.5 are clear signs that your bike is running too lean. Get the carburettor tuned from a good mechanic be it outside the svc.If that dosent solve he problem check

    1.Inlet to cylinder head
    2.Air filter
    3.Tappet clearence
    4.spark plug replacement(ignore if done before)
    5.If all these dont solve the problem then u are a shikar of faulty tps.


    Better first remove the connector of the TPS (red small box fixed with chasis under the tank) from the Wiring harness and ride the bike and check for the exisiting probs. If they are solved then u have a damaged TPS . If so replace it and till then ride with TPS disconnected. It costs 120 INR. if no then check all the 4 items along with carb tune.


    . check the pad wear and if they still have some juice then they are trapped with dirt which is making thee screeching sound.If this happens only on low speed, get wheel bearing checked
    Thanks for replying. I'm gonna submit my bike @ SVC today. Will report back when they return it to me in the evening. Will tell them to tune the carb.

  6. #6
    Rusted utsavchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    553
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iChaitanya View Post
    Hello guys,

    My 4 month old RTR160 (1450 km, 2 free services done, using Shell AX5 engine oil) is troubling me:

    1) Engine misfiring: I had this issue right from day 1 but it was fixed during 1st servicing. The issue resurfaced after 2nd servicing and it still persists. I told the SVC guys to fix it yet again. They kept my bike for a day and returned it to me saying they've cleaned the spark plug.

    Bike makes "phat-phat-phat" sound at high RPM (especially when rolling down a slope). SVC guys have given up and have advised me to use better quality petrol and additives. I'm using normal HP petrol. Should I switch to "Speed" petrol. Will doing so fix this issue of engine misfiring?

    2) Front disc brake makes loud screeching noise when I apply the brake. This issue persists since 2nd servicing. It was non-existent until then. What should be done to fix this? SVC guys didn't do anything.

    3) Idling RPM varies according to surrounding temperature and engine temperature. After riding my bike continuously for 15 mins, idling RPM shoots up to almost 2.5k RPM. How to fix this? SVC guys have given up. They're unable to fix it. Do all RTRs have this issue?

    4) There are some noticeable scratches on my bike including a couple of them on the headlight. How to remove such scratches?

    RTR owners and others please help me out...

    Engine Misfiring : If the SVC guys have done everything in their limit t resolve the issue but it still resurfaces, follow the instructions of Utkarsh.
    You can once try to fill normal petrol from Shell and check if it is the petrol causing the issue or not.

    Front Disk Screeching sound : Learn to live with it. I could not get it resolved for 9 months and ended up cleaning the pads every week. Dust particles will enter between the pads and the disk and we can do nothing about that. It will be more in the dusty and rainy season. Although it does not cause any damage, just to be on a safer side clean the pads atleast once in a month.

    Idling issue : Did anyone play with the tappets? First check the accelerator cable, clutch for any discrepancies. Check the tuning screw near the carb. All RTRs do not have this issue.

    Scratches : Well there are many solvents available in the market for cleaning the bike and removing scratches. Check there. Scratches on headlight can't be undone. If its not causing any sort of issues at night then let it be there, else you have to change it all which is quite costly. You can't get the bike's color anywhere here, else would had asked you to touchup the bike. The other option and a cheap one is Radium strips. You can put any design via radium papers and they are quite cheap.
    ....Riding the Indian Monster : 200NS....
    Connect 2 me @ FB | A Few Good Tips | Tour Trail Tales | YouTube
    Total Kms Covered: 42,723 (CT100) + 11 (ZMR) +78,221 (Platina) + 26,913 (RTR) + 54,117 (P220) + 2,73,142 (200NS) = 4,75,127 Kms. . . . . . . . .and counting . . . . .
    Inactivate Member
    I would only be online on fb and would be posting all travel logs on my blog.

  7. #7
    Rusted Abhijeet Bhattacharjee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jamshedpur, JH -> Kolkata, WB -> Pune, MH
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Check for the AFR ratio (a.k.a. carb tuning) its way too lean.
    Ride your bike at half throttle for about 10min, then put it on centre stand...
    increase the idling till one-half of the redline then slowly turn the bronze screw anti-clockwise (1/8 rotation at a time), check if the tacho needle gets steady...
    if you're successful in making the needle steady, congratulate yourself you just tuned the bike
    lower the idling with the idling screw & zip zap zoom!!!

    pressure wash your rotor disc or take the pad out & rub it with sand-paper, screeching sound should go away.
    Last edited by Abhijeet Bhattacharjee; 01-11-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Its the fusion of a two wheeled machine & a human being which creates a true biker.

    Fine me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/krazzykid.abhijeet

    Pulsar spare parts price list (indicative only):
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/42303845/P...re-Parts-Price
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/99085008/Bajaj-180-Pulsar-UG3

  8. #8
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the inputs, guys.

    I'm gonna get the bike back tomorrow from SVC. Hopefully they'll tune it as I've told them to. If they fail to do it, I'll take matters in my own hands.

  9. #9
    Rusted Honda_CBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Korba (C.G)>>Jamshedpur (J.H)
    Posts
    1,337
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iChaitanya View Post
    Thanks for the inputs, guys.

    I'm gonna get the bike back tomorrow from SVC. Hopefully they'll tune it as I've told them to. If they fail to do it, I'll take matters in my own hands.
    if you haven't done carb tuning before then i suggest go to any other (good) mechanic and get it tuned.
    Because its very hard to get it right in the first try. It took me around 2 months, fiddling with the carb every next day.
    All the best!!

Similar Threads

  1. Contemplating TVS Apache RTR160
    By iChaitanya in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
  2. which is best synthetic oil for Apache RTR160
    By venu323 in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 10:34 PM
  3. Upgrading from Apache RTR160 to Yamaha R15
    By Wheel_Spin in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 05:51 PM
  5. rtr160 modification query
    By ADI Funktastic in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 10:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •