Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Red to green – let the cager go first.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

  1. #11
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Earlier Mumbai now In Pune
    Posts
    69
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Stiff Honda Unicorn

    Quote Originally Posted by chandansawant View Post
    Hi all

    I am a novice biker considering technical/mechanical aspects of bikes...but like bike riding
    on 1 fine day, i tried bajaj avenger on same road and i never felt a single moment of pain even after riding for 1.5 hr at stretch
    I totally agree with you, I never found Unicorn comfortable when riding alone over minor potholes on roads. Thats why from the day one I dont like monoshock even though it is technologically advanced feature but at least Honda could not get the right suspension setup for Unicorn.
    I dont know what you can do to decrease its stiffness, if the spring is set at the softest position setting then I dont think you can do anything more to reduce the spring stiffness.
    At max you can go to a suspension expert shop and get those guys advice, but take that advice with a pinch of salt as they might sometimes misguide you to some non-sense just to mint money from you.

    To the least you could try a more better comfortable seat with more cushion and a little less tyre pressure.
    #bpk likes this.

  2. #12
    Rusted rahuldevnath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chandansawant View Post
    Hi all

    I am a novice biker considering technical/mechanical aspects of bikes...but like bike riding
    For last 5 yrs i was owning Bajaj discover 125 Dtsi model and at start of 2012 got my new Honda Unicorn (now it's 8 months / 5k km old)
    What I have observed is....even at speed as low as 10-20 kmph...whenever unicorn goes from any bump/pothole/unleveled road...rear suspension doesn't help to absorb impact and i can feel d impact on my lower back
    I used to ride discover on such roads but when compared to unicorn, it was kind of back pampering
    I am totally fed up due to this as i ride total 50 kms daily (to n fro) n stiff suspension of unicorn is giving me lot of back pain

    is there any way I can make it soft?
    I have already kept rear suspension setting at soft level...n service center ppl r telling me to make it hard to get better ride quality

    few things abt d way i ride bikes

    total travel - 25km + 25 km (to n from)
    duration - 1 hr continuous in 1 direction
    on highways - completely steady speed of 60 kmph or 5-5.5k rpm
    on crowded roads - never crosses 4-4.5k rpm level

    i m kind of sane driver for my bike

    on 1 fine day, i tried bajaj avenger on same road and i never felt a single moment of pain even after riding for 1.5 hr at stretch
    Monoshock are basically meant give the bike a better CoG, and a monoshock can't be as comfortable as twin shocks. Also, Discover suspension is much more softer, because it's out and out commuter, ditto with avenger which is meant to be cruiser. On the other hand Unicorn's suspension is on the stiffer side, as any other monoshock bike and is a better handler. Though the suspension will eventually get softer with usage. What you can do is try to ride on foot pegs when on really bad roads.
    Been There, Done That; Better!

  3. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ujjain
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

    After riding my unicorn for 10000 km and researching all about suspension and other aspects of bike i came to know a very interesting fact and solution to this problem
    majority of unicorn owner will agree with me that the stock tires provided with unicorn i.e. zapper y (rear) do not get wear down even after 25000 km as it is made of super hard compound so it never provides right feedback to the mono shockup
    i realized that and changed my rear tire to ceat zoom and there was so much difference in the ride quality the rear shock started working superbly as ceat tires being made of soft compound started giving best feedback to mono shock up and really solved my problem
    the mrf zapper y is the worst tires for any bike dont know why honda is using in there bike the bike is awesome suspension is awesome just change tires to soft compound tires the problem will be solved

  4. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Bankura
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by bike_1 View Post
    After riding my unicorn for 10000 km and researching all about suspension and other aspects of bike i came to know a very interesting fact and solution to this problem
    majority of unicorn owner will agree with me that the stock tires provided with unicorn i.e. zapper y (rear) do not get wear down even after 25000 km as it is made of super hard compound so it never provides right feedback to the mono shockup
    i realized that and changed my rear tire to ceat zoom and there was so much difference in the ride quality the rear shock started working superbly as ceat tires being made of soft compound started giving best feedback to mono shock up and really solved my problem
    the mrf zapper y is the worst tires for any bike dont know why honda is using in there bike the bike is awesome suspension is awesome just change tires to soft compound tires the problem will be solved
    Sorry .... Don't understand .... Will you please explain???

  5. #15
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    hyderabad
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

    Even my New Unicorn 160 having same problem,I dont no why R&D department Honda is not addressing this problem.Honda should come out with proper soulution for this problem. I think I have to try what bike_1 suggested. bike_1 could you please provide more feedback after chaing the tyre.
    #bpk likes this.

  6. #16
    Rusted Satyamzma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,864
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

    I also have same problem on my Uni 150 2017 bs4 model. The rear suspension feels really hard while riding solo.Today i am going to change both tires to ceat zoom tubeless tires.
    #bpk likes this.
    Don't Honk Unnecessarily

  7. #17
    Rusted #bpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tezpur , Assam
    Posts
    1,790
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by soppashashi View Post
    Even my New Unicorn 160 having same problem,I dont no why R&D department Honda is not addressing this problem.Honda should come out with proper soulution for this problem. I think I have to try what bike_1 suggested. bike_1 could you please provide more feedback after chaing the tyre.
    Same problem in my hornet too. Honda doesn't know how to design suspension. It's not at all suitable for indian road conditions.

  8. #18
    Rusted #bpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tezpur , Assam
    Posts
    1,790
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Satyamzma View Post
    I also have same problem on my Uni 150 2017 bs4 model. The rear suspension feels really hard while riding solo.Today i am going to change both tires to ceat zoom tubeless tires.
    If you find a way, let me know. I am also fed up with hard suspension even after adjusting to softest level it's of no use !!

  9. #19
    Addicted Vipergts07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Softening Honda Unicorn's rear suspension

    Try a soft/medium compound. Siracs worked great on uni for me. Mrf, Apollo, ceat, most have hard compounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyamzma View Post
    I also have same problem on my Uni 150 2017 bs4 model. The rear suspension feels really hard while riding solo.Today i am going to change both tires to ceat zoom tubeless tires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Honda Unicorn Suspension Issue
    By raj_uni in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 02:31 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 12:17 PM
  4. RX135 - Rear suspension
    By donarun in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 10:38 AM
  5. rear suspension for P150
    By Nio in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •