Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Scan – see – think – act.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: KTM duke 200 rear brake keeps holding when hot

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Tamil Nadu
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default KTM duke 200 rear brake keeps holding when hot

    I have a Duke 200 2014 model. Today I went on a 10kms ride to my office. I stopped the vehicle to make a phone call and then when I tried to push my bike, it was very hard to push. So, I slanted my bike with the side stand on and spun both the wheels with my hand. The front wheel seemed to be fine. But the rear wheel was so hard to spin with my hands. At that point I was running out of time so I left for office with that problem. Then in the eve I tried to spin the wheels with my hands and both the wheels where rotating fine. So to check what's happening, I rode the bike for about 10 min and stopped the bike and spun the wheels again. Again, the front was fine but the rear wheel was very hard. So whenever the rear disc setup gets heated up it holds the wheel until it cools down. What's causing this problem? Please anyone help me. And I'm getting very low fuel economy(aprox 22kmpl) since last week. Has this problem lowered the fuel economy as well?

    P.S. Brake pads are in good condition
    Last edited by xBhp; 07-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,356
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: KTM duke 200 rear brake keeps holding when hot

    Thread approved.

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: KTM duke 200 rear brake keeps holding when hot

    I had a similar problem after replacing my rear brake lever after a crash. Apparently the brake seemed to be engaged slightly even when the pedal was not pressed. The svc mechanic adjusted a small nut but below the lever and that fixed it. But a aging caliper could also be a culprit.The pistons inside will fail to come back to the original position after applying brake, hence will always be in contact with rotor. Try riding the bike for say 10kms without applying rear brake. If no problem persists then apply rear brake and ride for next 10kms. If the rear wheels feel hard to move most probably your rear caliper is bust.

  4. #4
    Rusted theironhorse99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    jaipur , hyderabad
    Posts
    1,996
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: KTM duke 200 rear brake keeps holding when hot

    Quote Originally Posted by AbhishekKaushik View Post
    I have a Duke 200 2014 model. Today I went on a 10kms ride to my office. I stopped the vehicle to make a phone call and then when I tried to push my bike, it was very hard to push. So, I slanted my bike with the side stand on and spun both the wheels with my hand. The front wheel seemed to be fine. But the rear wheel was so hard to spin with my hands. At that point I was running out of time so I left for office with that problem. Then in the eve I tried to spin the wheels with my hands and both the wheels where rotating fine. So to check what's happening, I rode the bike for about 10 min and stopped the bike and spun the wheels again. Again, the front was fine but the rear wheel was very hard. So whenever the rear disc setup gets heated up it holds the wheel until it cools down. What's causing this problem? Please anyone help me. And I'm getting very low fuel economy(aprox 22kmpl) since last week. Has this problem lowered the fuel economy as well?

    P.S. Brake pads are in good condition
    the rear calliper piston seals are goner.. costs about 50-100 bucks. SVC will suggest you to change the whole calliper assembly.
    just ask them to remove piston remove the seals and put new ones in after cleaning up well. flush the entire old fluid and put new one.
    with so much heat the fluid is a gone case too..
    "A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel."

    RE Bullet 1977 - Current
    RX-100 1995 - Current
    CBZ Classic 2003 - Current
    Activa 2004 - Current
    CBR 250R 2012 - Current

    http://theironhorse.blog.com

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Tamil Nadu
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: KTM duke 200 rear brake keeps holding when hot

    Quote Originally Posted by theironhorse99 View Post
    the rear calliper piston seals are goner.. costs about 50-100 bucks. SVC will suggest you to change the whole calliper assembly.
    just ask them to remove piston remove the seals and put new ones in after cleaning up well. flush the entire old fluid and put new one.
    with so much heat the fluid is a gone case too..
    Yesterday I went to a local Mechanic and he did some bleeding of the rear brake and then cleaned the pads a bit.. And then I rode Abt 30kms ,it seemed like the problem was totally gone,the rotation of the wheel was very smooth..but today after a ride the wheels seems to hold a little bit.. Not very hard like before.. But a little bit... Not smooth not too hard..after sometimes like before the wheels rotate smoothly when it cools down...I'm really curious to know why it was fine yesterday and today became like this..are the piston seal creating this problem..?

    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

    Quote Originally Posted by sathyakaushik4 View Post
    I had a similar problem after replacing my rear brake lever after a crash. Apparently the brake seemed to be engaged slightly even when the pedal was not pressed. The svc mechanic adjusted a small nut but below the lever and that fixed it. But a aging caliper could also be a culprit.The pistons inside will fail to come back to the original position after applying brake, hence will always be in contact with rotor. Try riding the bike for say 10kms without applying rear brake. If no problem persists then apply rear brake and ride for next 10kms. If the rear wheels feel hard to move most probably your rear caliper is bust.
    Riding without applying the brakes doesn't cause any problem.And checked the lever, It is fine too.but
    yesterday I went to a Mechanic and he did some bleeding of the rear brake and then cleaned the pads a bit.. And then I rode Abt 30kms ,it seemed like the problem was totally gone,the rotation of the wheel was very smooth..but today after a ride the wheels seems to hold a little bit.. Not very hard like before.. But a little bit... Not smooth not too hard..after sometimes like before the wheels rotate smoothly when it cools down...I'm really curious to know why it was fine yesterday and today became like this.so still there is a chance of bust caliper..? Or something else is causing the problem..?

  6. #6
    Rusted theironhorse99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    jaipur , hyderabad
    Posts
    1,996
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: KTM duke 200 rear brake keeps holding when hot

    Quote Originally Posted by AbhishekKaushik View Post
    Yesterday I went to a local Mechanic and he did some bleeding of the rear brake and then cleaned the pads a bit.. And then I rode Abt 30kms ,it seemed like the problem was totally gone,the rotation of the wheel was very smooth..but today after a ride the wheels seems to hold a little bit.. Not very hard like before.. But a little bit... Not smooth not too hard..after sometimes like before the wheels rotate smoothly when it cools down...I'm really curious to know why it was fine yesterday and today became like this..are the piston seal creating this problem..?

    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----


    Riding without applying the brakes doesn't cause any problem.And checked the lever, It is fine too.but
    yesterday I went to a Mechanic and he did some bleeding of the rear brake and then cleaned the pads a bit.. And then I rode Abt 30kms ,it seemed like the problem was totally gone,the rotation of the wheel was very smooth..but today after a ride the wheels seems to hold a little bit.. Not very hard like before.. But a little bit... Not smooth not too hard..after sometimes like before the wheels rotate smoothly when it cools down...I'm really curious to know why it was fine yesterday and today became like this.so still there is a chance of bust caliper..? Or something else is causing the problem..?

    calliper rebuild...
    "A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel."

    RE Bullet 1977 - Current
    RX-100 1995 - Current
    CBZ Classic 2003 - Current
    Activa 2004 - Current
    CBR 250R 2012 - Current

    http://theironhorse.blog.com

Similar Threads

  1. FZ Rear Brake Problem!!
    By charan87 in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
  2. Rear Brake in R15 V2.0
    By bhalan in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 03:15 PM
  3. Rear Brake Problem
    By Sumondatta in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 06:31 AM
  4. [xBhp Universal Thread]: 220 Rear Brake Issue - HELP!!
    By B7ACKTHORN in forum Universal Threads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
  5. Did I messup my rear disc brake
    By HotAntivirus in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 06:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •