Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

The slower the vehicle, the quicker it can turn.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Multiple Queries

  1. #1
    Addicted nicky_cool_dude_2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Multiple Queries

    Well as on orkut, i am a part of 2 r15 communities as i own a r15. Theres been hype about the iridium spark plugs and K&N filters. About the K&N filter, i know it doesn't add much performance and makes the engine run lean as more air is sucked in for combustion which is not good for the engines health. But I'd like to know what are these iridium spark plugs. Do they increase the performance? Are they really that useful that they are so costly?

    One more thing I'd like to ask is i have installed a Xenos security kit for my bike. The moment someone touches it, it starts to ring. The system is quite good, but I have heard that these systems can hinder with the bike electrical systems. Is this true?
    A fact -- It takes more love to share the pillion seat, than to share the bed.

  2. #2
    Rusted Aryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Delhi/ Shillong
    Posts
    18,673
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Query Moved and Approved.
    ...in search of that perfect world - My Travel Blog :)

  3. #3
    Rusted jd666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gurgaon/Faridabad
    Posts
    3,389
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^ the spark plugs will help, but if they are of the right rating to go with. there are experienced members who can help u with that.

    The C0 setting has to be increased according to the increased airflow offered by the K&N. Then the bike will benefit from the increased airflow.

    what i read/heard was that these security kits etc, put unnecessary loads on the electrical, and are best avoided. Also you need to check from your dealership if it voids warranty, because any such modification, including the K&N, would void warranty.


    My offerings to the gods of speed -

    - KTM Duke 200
    - Yamaha RXZ 5 speed



  4. #4
    Addicted nicky_cool_dude_2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd666 View Post
    ^^ the spark plugs will help, but if they are of the right rating to go with. there are experienced members who can help u with that.

    The C0 setting has to be increased according to the increased airflow offered by the K&N. Then the bike will benefit from the increased airflow.

    what i read/heard was that these security kits etc, put unnecessary loads on the electrical, and are best avoided. Also you need to check from your dealership if it voids warranty, because any such modification, including the K&N, would void warranty.
    i didnt understand about the K&N filter, but the security system was provided to me by the dealer. the warranty isn't void. I had asked him about it.
    A fact -- It takes more love to share the pillion seat, than to share the bed.

  5. #5
    Rusted zayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NCR-->NO-IDA....
    Posts
    1,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1> Iridium spark plug - this type of spark plugs are used for gaining performance in the initial pickup the main work which it do is to burn the air & fuel mixture more efficiently then the electrode spark plugs which doesn't do same work what iridium spark plug do.its costly because iridium is a costly element and long lasting one compared to electrode ones.
    if you are thinking of buy it will surely satisfy you i am a proud owner of 2 iridium spark plugs...

    2>K&N A/F- who says that is never add much performance to the bike it does using it without up jetting the carb is useless + your bike engine could die early + valve can be destroyed so always up jet the carb before putting it with proper setting too more fuel to engine never destroy the engine it increases the life of your machine as fuel also acts as coolant for your engine.
    i have k&n in my bike.you will be surprise to know that i got 56-57kmpl with pulsar 180 carb setting.

    3>Xenos security -don't know much about this but its useless and eats the battery thats it.Don't mind anybody which have this system installed on there bikes but i have seen this on only village man bikes.Don't take it to the heart please not intensional.
    Ride Safe & Ride Long-->
    Zayn

  6. #6
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default xenos security system

    this thing is a waste and frankly it will die when it rains hard... I was riding my bike with the remote control used as a keychain.... and it was raining hard.... the remote was obviously getting wet... next day I came outside and the remote had short circuited and it was causing the bike to shut down every time i started it.... had to disconnect the remote and go store it far away from the bike to get the bike going... these cheap chinese makes are a waste of money and they screw up rather quickly....

  7. #7
    Rusted Puneet1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gurgaon
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zayn View Post
    2>K&N A/F- who says that is never add much performance to the bike it does using it without up jetting the carb is useless + your bike engine could die early + valve can be destroyed so always up jet the carb before putting it with proper setting too more fuel to engine never destroy the engine it increases the life of your machine as fuel also acts as coolant for your engine.
    i have k&n in my bike.you will be surprise to know that i got 56-57kmpl with pulsar 180 carb setting.
    he has an R15 , it doesnt have a carb .

  8. #8
    Rusted JitenMistry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zayn View Post
    1> Iridium spark plug - this type of spark plugs are used for gaining performance in the initial pickup the main work which it do is to burn the air & fuel mixture more efficiently then the electrode spark plugs which doesn't do same work what iridium spark plug do.its costly because iridium is a costly element and long lasting one compared to electrode ones.
    if you are thinking of buy it will surely satisfy you i am a proud owner of 2 iridium spark plugs...

    2>K&N A/F- who says that is never add much performance to the bike it does using it without up jetting the carb is useless + your bike engine could die early + valve can be destroyed so always up jet the carb before putting it with proper setting too more fuel to engine never destroy the engine it increases the life of your machine as fuel also acts as coolant for your engine.
    i have k&n in my bike.you will be surprise to know that i got 56-57kmpl with pulsar 180 carb setting.

    3>Xenos security -don't know much about this but its useless and eats the battery thats it.Don't mind anybody which have this system installed on there bikes but i have seen this on only village man bikes.Don't take it to the heart please not intensional.
    Zayn,

    I would like to install Iridium spark plug and K&N A/F. Could you put some more focus in your post. Likes
    1) Can I replace my original spark plug to Iridium spark without more complex setting?
    2) Which model of K&F for R15 and what is pulsar 180 carb setting and how it apply in R15 fuel injection system.

    Further, I have Google of improve the bike performance and I found the below points, can you share your knowledge on it?

    1) Increase the H2O ratio in your coolant - if it weren't for corrosion and freezing concerns, automotive makers would use pure water. Water cools much better than coolant any day of the week, and a cooler engine is a better performer.
    Instead of half and half, try 40/60. DO NOT use pure water, As this may cause premature corrosion and that can be no fun at all to clean up. You may also try water wetter to further enhance this effect.

    2) Index your spark plugs - this is an age old trick that is good for about 1 extra pony. The idea here is to "aim" the open end of the spark plug terminal (the gap) towards the intake side of the head. In order to accomplish this, simply mark on the plug a small line to indicate where this gap is, and install the plug as normal.
    Try to line up the line with the intake side as best as you can. It may require buying 2 sets of spark plugs in order to do this, but hopefully you'll be able to do this the first time. Be careful with aluminum heads not to over tighten, as that could lead to a costly repair.

    3) Relocate IAT Sensor - This is a very simple modification that will work on a great deal of fuel injected vehicles. The IAT sensor (Intake Air Temperature) tells the computer how hot or cold the incoming air is. The computer will then adjust the amount of fuel being injected, as well as make minor adjustments to timing based on that reading.
    The problem is that in many vehicles, the IAT sensor is located in the intake manifold, near the cylinder head. Therefore the air that the IAT sensor reads is much hotter than the air, say, in the intake arm. The idea with this mod, is to relocate the sensor to the intake arm. Use JB Weld or similar to patch up the old port for the sensor.
    This will cause the computer to believe that incoming air is slightly cooler, causing it to inject more fuel and advance the timing a tad.

    4) Synthetic Oil - This is guaranteed to pick up 1-2 horsepower, as multiple dynos over the years have proved this fact. Simply by switching to a true synthetic oil this weekend you can reduce the friction in your engine, improving efficiency, and therefore going faster.

    5) Insulate Fuel Lines - When your fuel lines travel through the engine bay they heat up. However, cooler fuel produces more power for more reasons than just cooling down the intake charge--although that certainly helps things! So, to improve power output, simply purchase some refrigerator/air conditioning insulation and wrap the fuel lines with the insulation. While you're at it, you may wish to go ahead and do this to the intake arm as well for even more power.

  9. #9
    Addicted Chinmay Dangre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default R15 or any EFI

    Quote Originally Posted by nicky_cool_dude_2004 View Post
    Well as on orkut, i am a part of 2 r15 communities as i own a r15. Theres been hype about the iridium spark plugs and K&N filters. About the K&N filter, i know it doesn't add much performance and makes the engine run lean as more air is sucked in for combustion which is not good for the engines health. But I'd like to know what are these iridium spark plugs. Do they increase the performance? Are they really that useful that they are so costly?

    One more thing I'd like to ask is i have installed a Xenos security kit for my bike. The moment someone touches it, it starts to ring. The system is quite good, but I have heard that these systems can hinder with the bike electrical systems. Is this true?
    R15 = CR8EIX iridium plug number.
    Well Iridium basically enhance the resistance power for proper burning. The electrode regular plugs fail to provide full voltage for burning. For example
    the voltage produced by ignition coil is 24000 but at the end of plug voltage may be near to 20000 to 22000, which means lack of voltage. But by putting iridium, voltage will be on higher side near to 23K to 24K.
    K&N fitting on R15 is easy. it adds some power but with some limit, besides it will not damage the engine. The engine can be damaged by riding either without any performance mod.

    In EFI models chipping is there not jetting. But at some limit you can change the AF by doing some very easy steps.
    Besides Iridium is good for high performance as well as mileage performance too. coz all is related to it's resistance power.
    "CorePower"
    Motorcycle Performance
    Pune


  10. #10
    Rusted Raccoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Poona
    Posts
    929
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lots of misconceptions about plugs and other things, here. For those really interested, I suggest going thru the spark plug thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HH splendor queries
    By Nikhil Pereira in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM
  2. A few queries on the Yamdoot 350
    By madmax in forum Thumpers,2-Stroke And Exotics
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM
  3. [Help]: Queries about P150.
    By bornmaniac in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 06:11 PM
  4. Queries on FZS
    By RacingDNA in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM
  5. Avenger 200 : Queries
    By hell_glider in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •