Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Squeeze that brake, don’t grat a handful.

Our Partners

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Best Indian made Helmet

Voters
19. This poll is closed
  • Vega

    6 31.58%
  • Studds

    12 63.16%
  • Wrangler

    1 5.26%
  • Globe

    0 0%
  • Aerostar

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best Indian made Helmet

  1. #11
    Rusted shahbaz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mumbai - Thane, Maharashtra, India.
    Posts
    1,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
    Shibadip my friend, it would be better if you stay away from the Flip top, especially one made by an Indian brand. They are really not very good and the flip-up lock will eventually face. I didn't personally see this happen but Surojit(The 200NS owner) and the rest of the gang, back in 2010 went for a ride to Varandah Ghat (near Pune) which I couldn't join in. There was a new guy in the group who was wearing a Vega Boolean who happened to crash on that ride and when he did, the flip top mechanism lock gave way and the top flipped up exposing his face to the road. The guy went home with a badly scratched (and possibly fractured) chin. Ask Suro (over PM preferably) he will tell you the entire story.

    This particular incident scared me a LOT at the time since I also had a Vega Boolean. And since I changed to a fixed type LS2 Helmet, I realized that I really don't miss the flip top too much. Of course there is no ISI mark on my helmet but it feels sturdier, better made and fits a LOT better (I have the Air Pump model FF358 which costed 3.2k I guess).

    Coming to the Sunglasses, I would recommend that you wear proper polarized sunglasses inside the helmet which help a LOT in cutting the glare while they don't reduce the light as much. I practically cannot ride the bike in the sun without mine nowadays. The added benefit of polarized sunglasses is that you can see right through the water at water crossings (if you encounter them) with minimal distortion and can gauge the best possible paths without having to first walk through it. These start from 700-800 for unbranded (my specs guy has them), 1100-1200 for IDEE and similar brands you can find at a Pantaloons/Westside store or something similar, 2800-4500 for Polaroid, 6-7k for Ray Ban, 8k+ for Oakley's.

    By comparison, the tinted inner visor of the Vega Boolean doesn't even have UV protection. Using it will only cause damage to your eyes.

    That Helps me alot, Thanks sirji, I own same VEGA Boolean & coz of safety purpose I've just twisted its lock in the way that it won't lock up easily & once it got locked it will not open easily... and till yesterday was not using that Tinted Visor too ... Hoping to change it soon now....

    Let me see the options for Helmet or any way I can improve this one .. I hope UV Protection Tinted Visor comes in VEGA
    Pride & Prejudice: Ladakh Ride,

    Ride To Raajmachi - Highway, Off Roading, Tent fire & Dhamaal

    Madness in Rajasthan - Travelogue


    "ATGATT, because sweat dries faster than skin heals"
    Riding faster then every one else will only guarantees you will ride alone.

    www.facebook.com/shahbaz008

  2. #12
    Rusted princesirohi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pune -- Mumbai
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    flip-up helmets are not all bad, obviously because it is made of two parts instead of one, it means you have to trade a balance between safety and convenience. they may be less safer than full face helmets, but you have to decide, how much safety you want or how much convenience you need. they do provide a decent level of protection, you can use them in your daily riding within city or on highways if you don't go too fast. obviously if you wanna race on a race track or travel on highways too fast, then full-face is the way to go.


    Quote Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
    Shibadip my friend, it would be better if you stay away from the Flip top, especially one made by an Indian brand. They are really not very good and the flip-up lock will eventually face. I didn't personally see this happen but Surojit(The 200NS owner) and the rest of the gang, back in 2010 went for a ride to Varandah Ghat (near Pune) which I couldn't join in. There was a new guy in the group who was wearing a Vega Boolean who happened to crash on that ride and when he did, the flip top mechanism lock gave way and the top flipped up exposing his face to the road. The guy went home with a badly scratched (and possibly fractured) chin. Ask Suro (over PM preferably) he will tell you the entire story.

    This particular incident scared me a LOT at the time since I also had a Vega Boolean. And since I changed to a fixed type LS2 Helmet, I realized that I really don't miss the flip top too much. Of course there is no ISI mark on my helmet but it feels sturdier, better made and fits a LOT better (I have the Air Pump model FF358 which costed 3.2k I guess).

    Coming to the Sunglasses, I would recommend that you wear proper polarized sunglasses inside the helmet which help a LOT in cutting the glare while they don't reduce the light as much. I practically cannot ride the bike in the sun without mine nowadays. The added benefit of polarized sunglasses is that you can see right through the water at water crossings (if you encounter them) with minimal distortion and can gauge the best possible paths without having to first walk through it. These start from 700-800 for unbranded (my specs guy has them), 1100-1200 for IDEE and similar brands you can find at a Pantaloons/Westside store or something similar, 2800-4500 for Polaroid, 6-7k for Ray Ban, 8k+ for Oakley's.

    By comparison, the tinted inner visor of the Vega Boolean doesn't even have UV protection. Using it will only cause damage to your eyes.
    either his flip-up latching mechanism was faulty or was not completely latched before accident.

    i too had a ninja flip-up helmet. and i had atleast three accidents with it. all frontal. first one, i skidded and my head collided with a pole head-on. nothing happened.
    second, there was gravel on one corner, i went in too fast and applied brakes while still leaned, needless to say what happened next, a frontal impact with a rock while i was still partially in air. result - only a few scratches on the helmets. i used that helmet for some time then replaced with another ninja. the third accident was a very devastating one, and it is described with photos on a thread also, in short it was a frontal impact at very high speeds with a jeep. the front flip-up portion got broken into pieces, but that was a very nasty crash. so--
    1) flip-up mechanism did not snap open.
    2) the flip-up portion did broke to pieces.
    another thing i noticed by using ninja helmets for so long period and using 3 helmets all ninjas, is that the locking mechanism losses its effectiveness or crispiness after say 1.5 year or so, and sometime did not latch properly, so you always have to double check to ensure its properly latched.

    so i will say, if you if you intend to use it within city, nothing beats it and if you don't ride too fast say you stay with-in 80-90 kmph you should be alright. for anything else, get a full-face one.

    see some more info here--

    Seven Flip-Face Motorcycle Helmets Compared - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

    Flip Up Helmets and Plastic Locking Mechanism

    a one more thing, snell does not certify flip-up helmets.

    and ECE 22.05, now has an option of a optional chin-bar test.

    ofcourse, i don't think indian ISI has anything for chin bar stability test.

    now, i am more of a highway rider with high speeds, i have shifted to a full face cross helmet. ofcourse this cross helmet is a total crap, but thats another story.

  3. #13
    Rusted Shibadip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    1,241
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by princesirohi View Post
    flip-up helmets are not all bad, obviously because it is made of two parts instead of one, it means you have to trade a balance between safety and convenience. they may be less safer than full face helmets, but you have to decide, how much safety you want or how much convenience you need. they do provide a decent level of protection, you can use them in your daily riding within city or on highways if you don't go too fast. obviously if you wanna race on a race track or travel on highways too fast, then full-face is the way to go.
    Thanks @Prince. Got to look for the Ninja then. Also I think it will be cheaper than the boolean.
    Quote Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
    Shibadip my friend, it would be better if you stay away from the Flip top, especially one made by an Indian brand. They are really not very good and the flip-up lock will eventually face. I didn't personally see this happen but Surojit(The 200NS owner) and the rest of the gang, back in 2010 went for a ride to Varandah Ghat (near Pune) which I couldn't join in. There was a new guy in the group who was wearing a Vega Boolean who happened to crash on that ride and when he did, the flip top mechanism lock gave way and the top flipped up exposing his face to the road. The guy went home with a badly scratched (and possibly fractured) chin. Ask Suro (over PM preferably) he will tell you the entire story.
    @antz. thanks for your advice, and it certainly gives ma a perspective of what I can expect from a Flip open helmets. (So I'll be extra Cautious)
    But I am more of a City rides, and will be doing few tours as well. But i'm a very safe kinnda rider, and wont be doing speeds >90 kmph even while touring.

    Also, though I'm not claustrophobic, but I feel kinnda congested in full face helmets. and it hampers the side vision as well. Thats why opting for the Flip Open types.

    So, you suggest it is better going for Studds -Ninja, than Vega -Boolean??


    EDIT and OFF-TOPIC - Also Please suggest me what kind of Glasses I can use both during day and night. I absolutely Can't ride without my sunglasses (or else, I every time feel that some thing is getting into my eye, and have some dangerous experience when my eye-lid shut for as long as 5sec while riding)
    People think I'm totally mad or a complete show-off when they see me wearing my sun-glass even at night.
    Note - I have normal eye power, and do not wear glasses in regular use. I use Fast track sun-glass, which covers from side as well. Normal glasses don't do that, and I dont want to carry two diff kind of glasses, one for night and one for day.
    Last edited by Shibadip; 09-20-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Relationships change, evolve, and it goes deep.
    Only thing I can say - "The storm is coming"

  4. #14
    Rusted princesirohi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pune -- Mumbai
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Best Indian made Helmet

    ninja has two models 2G &3G. 3G is better. 2G produces lot of wind noise.

    boolean also seems good.

    but if you purchase a flip-up helmet, be advised that it offers limited protection and always double check if the latching mechanism is locked properly.

    Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #15
    Rusted Shibadip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    1,241
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by princesirohi View Post
    ninja has two models 2G &3G. 3G is better. 2G produces lot of wind noise.

    boolean also seems good.

    but if you purchase a flip-up helmet, be advised that it offers limited protection and always double check if the latching mechanism is locked properly.
    Thanks On the 3G advise.

    I will be using the Helmet with the Jaw guard Open In the City rides(which will b 85% of the Time), and will close It during the Tours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Relationships change, evolve, and it goes deep.
    Only thing I can say - "The storm is coming"

  6. #16
    Rusted 111diablo111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    delhi
    Posts
    1,566
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i have used Studds Ninja & Vega Motocross helmet among these options..I liked wearing Vega motocross helmet more than Ninja as Ninja is very heavy n bigger in size than Vega motocross helmet but in terms of build quality, i had a bad crash wearing Ninja but it didn't break, only got few scratches & marks on it moreover once while construction work going on,whole ceiling fell over it n it still didn't break ..my Vega helmet got damaged recently as my friend used it to break all glasses of swift in a fight but that was a hard task & i can say that it has got a decent quality too..I'll go for Vega as in the end i liked it better n wore it till it was alive
    Suzuki Gixxer - Current
    Karizma ZMR <3 - Sold
    Apache RTR160 - Sold
    Honda Stunner - Sold
    LML Energy - Sold

  7. #17
    s1d
    s1d is offline
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,830
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 111diablo111 View Post
    my friend used it to break all glasses of swift in a fight
    road rage or self rage (due to gf etc etc.) ?? helmets for sure can be used as a protector as well as a destroyer
    PEACE V

  8. #18
    Rusted Praj zm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು
    Posts
    451
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hello guys i am looking for a full face helmet
    i want to choose between vega off roader and ls2 base helmet and/also studds scorpion OR ANY OTHER GOOD BRAND HELMET WITHIN 2.5k
    i want features like anti scratch and uv protection visor
    wind noise should be reduced when cruising even at 110-120
    comfortable and and the helmet should weigh less
    how to check for original product?
    thanks
    Last edited by Praj zm; 10-31-2012 at 04:43 PM.

  9. #19
    Rusted danny king's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Thiruvananthapuram
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi friends,

    I own a Vega Boolean. I have been using it since Aug 2011. I chose the Boolean for a variety of reasons. First of all I prefer modular helmets despite it being not as safe as a full face helmet. Prior to Boolean I was using a local make modular helmet.

    The best things I like about the Boolean: Perfect fit, good air circulation, good locking mechanism, one-hand operable mechanism, easy to remove and wear with eye glasses on.

    Things I do not like: It is heavy, side panels break pretty easily, wind noise, locking mechanism can get jammed, costs more than what its worth, visors are difficult to clean.
    Last edited by danny king; 04-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Your bike is a part of you....

    Since Nov 2012: Pulsar 200NS
    Jan 2009 to Nov 2012: Yamaha FZ18

  10. #20
    Rusted rxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    503
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I use a Studds chrome helmet and I find it good. The reason I bought it is when I bought the bike I didn't have a helmet and the near by shops had only Studds.
    The greatest difficulty in buying a helmet for me is the size. My head is small so most of the helmets I tried were just wobbling on head.
    The best fit I got was the Chrome. When I bought the visor was tinted as only it was available. Later changed to a clear visor.
    The advantages I see in this helmet are
    Not expensive
    The shell is not painted and the plastic is textured so no scratches or paint peeling off.

    Disadvantages I felt are
    The chin area does not have sufficient padding.
    Non removable liners (as it is an entry level helmet)

    Now I am planning to buy a new one. I don't want to buy too expensive ones as I have the habit of dropping the helmet.
    Please suggest me a good one!!


    Sent from xBhp Connect for iOS

    None of Us is as Smart as All of Us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
  2. Dazzling Daft Punk Helmet Made From Scratch!
    By NewsReaper in forum News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 09:23 PM
  3. The ride that made me...
    By jojojo4ever in forum The Tourer
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 08:48 AM
  4. How are pistons made?
    By rajnish in forum Thumpers,2-Stroke And Exotics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •