Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Practice slow-speed riding.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fiero/FieroF2/FieroFx

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bprags View Post
    The same happened to my bike, when I went for a trip 15 days back, the engine was knocking quite a lot, since I was on a long trip, for the first time used the in ear-canal buds, due to which I could not hear the knocking sounds, as I covered some 70 odd kms, the knocking got very audible, there was severe loss of power, the bike refused to cross even 60 and finally gave in, I tried kicking but there was no compression at all, I checked to see if oil was present, to my shock, I could see smoke coming out of it, after a few frantic calls to my mech, we towed the bike to the next town and got it checked, too many issues, valves were tight, the valves had hit the piston top, the piston rings had melted . Finally decided to send the bike back to Bangalore through VRL. I and my friend came back to bangalore, parked his bike and took the car for the rest of the trip.
    Now I have put the A180 bore on the bike, new valves, obviously new gasket too, doing running in, completed 300 kms, need to do the next 200 asap, it is a nightmare to drive below 60.
    ================================================== ===

    My God!!! that's a horrible situation to be in. Gotta do the conversion more carefully and make sure one has everything necessary before a hasty upgrade conversion.

    I'm just wondering if the current braking power will be enough for a 180 upgrade. Will definitely need a disc setup.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bprags View Post
      The same happened to my bike, when I went for a trip 15 days back, the engine was knocking quite a lot, since I was on a long trip, for the first time used the in ear-canal buds, due to which I could not hear the knocking sounds, as I covered some 70 odd kms, the knocking got very audible, there was severe loss of power, the bike refused to cross even 60 and finally gave in, I tried kicking but there was no compression at all, I checked to see if oil was present, to my shock, I could see smoke coming out of it, after a few frantic calls to my mech, we towed the bike to the next town and got it checked, too many issues, valves were tight, the valves had hit the piston top, the piston rings had melted . Finally decided to send the bike back to Bangalore through VRL. I and my friend came back to bangalore, parked his bike and took the car for the rest of the trip.
      Now I have put the A180 bore on the bike, new valves, obviously new gasket too, doing running in, completed 300 kms, need to do the next 200 asap, it is a nightmare to drive below 60.
      But didn't you have A180's Head too ???
      so how did all this happen ?
      Giving a lot to a fiero.
      Expecting a lot from a fiero.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by NANOtechnology View Post
        But didn't you have A180's Head too ???
        so how did all this happen ?
        It indeed was the 180 bore, but I had gone in for a 185CC setup using the CBZ piston, the compression was kept a little high for more power. If you recall I too had mentioned in one of the posts that my bike knocks in 4th gear, the compression was more. I just had to get an extra gasket added to get the compression down, but I did not do it.

        You please get an extra gasket added in case your bike is also knocking.

        Comment


        • BORE mods

          whenever a larger bore is fixed without changing the top head the head must be enlarged to fit the bore size to avoid higher compression and compatibility with the new piston size . The edges of the head must be flared to comply...a picture to explain.......below
          When Was The Last Time,You Did Something For The First Time.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by psr View Post
            whenever a larger bore is fixed without changing the top head the head must be enlarged to fit the bore size to avoid higher compression and compatibility with the new piston size . The edges of the head must be flared to comply...a picture to explain.......below
            my bike also uses the rtr head with bigger valves.

            Comment


            • Bprags

              Where the hell did this happen? I had ridden your bike and i know maga , your bike had very very less compression if you rem,i had kicked it a few times when you went your way at zen.The first thing i noticed was the low compression.So compression was never high. The case of valves hitting the piston means only one thing.Valve train failure,spring/s failed. I know and we both know how good Rajesh is ,he'd have never set the cam timing wrong.If it had been so you'd have never run your bike this long.

              1. Bore must have been close to the end of its life ,as compression was low.

              2. I had given your bike a lot of stick on our ride and it had jumped off like a rocket.So either it was fine ,how long ago was that? a year ago?

              3. Due to valve train failure the oil must have been very low and had melted the piston rings.

              4. I know point 3 because i had ridden my bike for some time like that when valve oil seal had given up and that was the reason my engine was opened up and that's when i decided to go for 200cc even though due to MOTUL 300V FS oil had saved the bore when it was running with just 250ml .
              Last edited by gixxer_junkie_m; 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM.
              Life begins, once you hit the power band !!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bprags View Post
                It indeed was the 180 bore, but I had gone in for a 185CC setup using the CBZ piston, the compression was kept a little high for more power. If you recall I too had mentioned in one of the posts that my bike knocks in 4th gear, the compression was more. I just had to get an extra gasket added to get the compression down, but I did not do it.

                You please get an extra gasket added in case your bike is also knocking.
                Man ,when you rode my bike didn't your feel the difference? you had told me that the heaviness is because of the heavier piston.That's not the case,it's because of higher compression of my bike that it felt so and your bike has better pick up because of different cam.Remember we were discussing the same with Mr Murthy that day at zen? So high compression was not your problem. and when i was at Rajesh's garage i did inquire about your bike's config and he told me it was very lightly ported.

                Your bike was knocking because it must have lost compression from some time now.The last time you posted here the pic of your plug it was dry.
                So the valve train prob must have started some time after that.
                Life begins, once you hit the power band !!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by chief ashman View Post

                  I will be getting the stock plug as soon as it is available ... I did a little twist to the AF towards the richer side and yes the bike feels more responsive with more power. Checked for smoke this morning ... and could not detect much ... so I assume All is Well now ... will do the check tomorrow again and confirm.
                  Cheers!!!
                  Good thing bro.

                  Originally posted by chief ashman View Post
                  ================================================== ===

                  My God!!! that's a horrible situation to be in. Gotta do the conversion more carefully and make sure one has everything necessary before a hasty upgrade conversion.
                  No need to worry on that front chief his mech is real good and prepares rally/race bikes and works on car engines for the same purpose.Bprags doesn't even bother about the works done by the mech because he trusts(know's his skill) him that much.
                  Life begins, once you hit the power band !!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bprags View Post
                    The same happened to my bike, when I went for a trip 15 days back, the engine was knocking quite a lot, since I was on a long trip, for the first time used the in ear-canal buds, due to which I could not hear the knocking sounds, as I covered some 70 odd kms, the knocking got very audible, there was severe loss of power, the bike refused to cross even 60 and finally gave in, I tried kicking but there was no compression at all, I checked to see if oil was present, to my shock, I could see smoke coming out of it, after a few frantic calls to my mech, we towed the bike to the next town and got it checked, too many issues, valves were tight, the valves had hit the piston top, the piston rings had melted . Finally decided to send the bike back to Bangalore through VRL. I and my friend came back to bangalore, parked his bike and took the car for the rest of the trip.
                    Now I have put the A180 bore on the bike, new valves, obviously new gasket too, doing running in, completed 300 kms, need to do the next 200 asap, it is a nightmare to drive below 60.
                    First of all sorry to note the problem you had faced 70 Kms away from home.
                    I remember telling Nano about the additional gasket under the bore,which worked to temporarily enable him to run....but he still has auto ignition at 8 K RPM when bike is hot....If he doesn't add another gasket soon enough ..another higher CC conversion melting engine parts will happen....
                    You had neglected the early warnings the bike gave and ended up 70Kms away with a busted engine...A VERY Sorry thing to note...I know the pain and frustrations of these incidents.Hope you have better luck with the present setup,and enjoy your bike.
                    Best of luck
                    When Was The Last Time,You Did Something For The First Time.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gixxer_junkie_m View Post
                      @viscmad

                      Take a pic of the spark plug and put it here.Then in all probability from what you have said, it looks like your engine is drinking oil.

                      Put the palm of your hand about a couple of inches from the silencer's end pipe and ask someone to rev the bike hard.Then let us know what kinda soot you get on your palm ,if it's oily ,then engine needs to be opened up.
                      Sorry my camera is not work

                      I have put my palm away from silencer soot is not oily but its dry carbon powder i think
                      FAQs-RTR owners

                      For me its never been nor will ever be my DL, For me its always been and will always remain my RL {Riding License}

                      I confess that I ♥ :
                      *Being ogled at while waiting
                      for lights to turn green
                      *Fielding queries from massed onlookers
                      *Pushing dream bikes to their limits
                      *Blasting past slowpokes
                      *Hoiking the front wheel
                      *Scraping a knee around corners

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Viscmad View Post
                        Sorry my camera is not work

                        I have put my palm away from silencer soot is not oily but its dry carbon powder i think
                        Then no need to worry. It might be running rich.
                        Life begins, once you hit the power band !!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by gixxer_junkie_m View Post
                          Then no need to worry. It might be running rich.
                          so should i turn the screw anti-clock wise to make the mixture lean ?

                          And what about the pickup problem ?
                          Last edited by Viscmad; 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM.
                          FAQs-RTR owners

                          For me its never been nor will ever be my DL, For me its always been and will always remain my RL {Riding License}

                          I confess that I ♥ :
                          *Being ogled at while waiting
                          for lights to turn green
                          *Fielding queries from massed onlookers
                          *Pushing dream bikes to their limits
                          *Blasting past slowpokes
                          *Hoiking the front wheel
                          *Scraping a knee around corners

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Viscmad View Post
                            so should i turn the screw anti-clock wise to make the mixture lean ?

                            And what about the pickup problem ?
                            It can be because of a number of things.Without seeing the plug it's difficult to say properly.

                            Turning the screw clock-wise leans out the A/F mixture.Once again even if you do that ,without checking the plug it won't be possible to say anything.
                            Life begins, once you hit the power band !!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gixxer_junkie_m View Post
                              It can be because of a number of things.Without seeing the plug it's difficult to say properly.

                              Turning the screw clock-wise leans out the A/F mixture.Once again even if you do that ,without checking the plug it won't be possible to say anything.
                              but i don't think that my bike is drink oil.

                              ill try to get a camera

                              Maybe i need to adjust the clutch ?
                              FAQs-RTR owners

                              For me its never been nor will ever be my DL, For me its always been and will always remain my RL {Riding License}

                              I confess that I ♥ :
                              *Being ogled at while waiting
                              for lights to turn green
                              *Fielding queries from massed onlookers
                              *Pushing dream bikes to their limits
                              *Blasting past slowpokes
                              *Hoiking the front wheel
                              *Scraping a knee around corners

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Viscmad View Post
                                but i don't think that my bike is drink oil.

                                ill try to get a camera

                                Maybe i need to adjust the clutch ?
                                Start with the clutch and then move to the carb.That is,ask the mech to adjust the clutch,then ask him to take the carb apart if the prob still persists.
                                Life begins, once you hit the power band !!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X