Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Check engine oil level before every ride.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

    Originally posted by ArnabC View Post
    I agree with you on your points. But this thread is becoming a complaint centre for the bike. Logical and valid complaints are completely ok and very much welcome as those will unearth the issues and help others in getting ready or preventing them. But the complaints like bike not getting started or not handling well or heating issues are not correct or valid as people are actually comparing the bike with commuter single cylinder bikes. I guess you'll also agree that comparing an oil-cooled faired bike of higher cc with an air-cooled commuter bike of lower cc is not at all a valid point but then saying that the bike is heating up very much, without saying that other bikes of the same category also heating up more, is wrong and misleading. If some point has to be made then make it a complete one. Some posts I've seen here are actually misinformed or misguiding posts and thus people, who don't have any other source to find out about the bike, are getting a complete misconception about the bike and it's issues, which should be stopped. That's the negativity we're talking about.

    Hope you agree !!
    Unfortunately the internet is mostly cluttered with such misconception and there are bunch of people who believe these misconceptions are true.
    Comparisons between apples and oranges are dime a dozen. It happens all the time.. for example some folks don't understand the difference between a normal engine temperature and overheating.. maybe you should read some stuff over on the ktm threads
    I have learnt that trying to educate some people is just a waste of time when they have preconceived notions based on some forum, facebook, youtube etc.. post with no logical reasoning/backing.
    You for one seem to be enjoying your motorcycle to the core, so continue doing that and pay no heed to the 'negativity'

    Comment


    • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

      Originally posted by s1d View Post
      KTM
      This word reminded me of a situation that happened 3 years back when i got my RD. As usual comparison started which proceeded to bhp and finally ended with bring your ride on the road and i will smoke it on my austrian beauty.

      Its the same comparative mentality that has trickled down to R3 currently. Its your choice don't buy it but how can you compare both as both are different things built with a different purpose.

      CHEERS
      Yamaha RXZ 5 speed (sold)
      Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS fi( sold)
      Bajaj Discover 112(2006)
      Yamaha R15 V2(2011)
      Yezdi 250 model B(1978)
      RX 135 4 speed(1998)
      Yamaha Rajdoot 350(1989-unrestored)
      Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i (2011)Crashed and sold :'(
      Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i (2009-Fastest Indian)

      Comment


      • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

        Originally posted by black asp View Post
        Its the same comparative mentality that has trickled down to R3 currently. Its your choice don't buy it but how can you compare both as both are different things built with a different purpose.
        you mean me ? if so, i did not 'compare' ktm with r3.. i was just giving another example of similar bashings/comparisons that go on with other motorcycles as well.
        like i said people have preconceived notions and as you mention comparative mentality (irrespective of whether its an r3 or a splendor.. i've had people ask me why i spent so much on a ktm and instead could have bought a bullet since it gives similar mileage).. its difficult to change that thinking unless they are willing to open their eyes and learn.

        Please don't quote selectively and make it go out of context

        To me motorcycles (even those that are in the same 'class' 'category') are a bit like a humans, they have the same number of legs, hands etc.. but each one is unique in their own way and i try to look more towards the positives than nit pick.
        No amount of reviews will replace taking a few test rides before deciding to buy a vehicle.

        Comment


        • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

          Originally posted by s1d View Post
          you mean me ? if so, i did not 'compare' ktm with r3.. i was just giving another example of similar bashings/comparisons that go on with other motorcycles as well.
          like i said people have preconceived notions and as you mention comparative mentality (irrespective of whether its an r3 or a splendor.. i've had people ask me why i spent so much on a ktm and instead could have bought a bullet since it gives similar mileage).. its difficult to change that thinking unless they are willing to open their eyes and learn.

          Please don't quote selectively and make it go out of context

          To me motorcycles (even those that are in the same 'class' 'category') are a bit like a humans, they have the same number of legs, hands etc.. but each one is unique in their own way and i try to look more towards the positives than nit pick.
          No amount of reviews will replace taking a few test rides before deciding to buy a vehicle.
          Mate,he was just backing you up.He was giving an another example of Indian mentality to compare motorcycles regarding CC's,BHP and topspeeds and other things rather than actually understanding why that particular motorcycle was made for.He took the word "KTM" from your post to tell,how his RD was compared to a KTM just because they have similar CC's irrespective of a 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines.
          There's a light at each end of this tunnel you shout cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out.

          Comment


          • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

            Originally posted by s1d View Post
            you mean me ?
            you got it the completely opposite way
            . Didn't mean you, Why get so nervous buddy was just saying the same thing what you were mentioning although in a different manner. May be my wordings( lol just a single word) sent a wrong message.

            CHEERS
            Last edited by black asp; 04-28-2016, 01:18 PM.
            Yamaha RXZ 5 speed (sold)
            Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS fi( sold)
            Bajaj Discover 112(2006)
            Yamaha R15 V2(2011)
            Yezdi 250 model B(1978)
            RX 135 4 speed(1998)
            Yamaha Rajdoot 350(1989-unrestored)
            Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i (2011)Crashed and sold :'(
            Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i (2009-Fastest Indian)

            Comment


            • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

              @ArnabC Great review there Arnab Da. It was really frustrating to see people posting things without actual knowledge and proper riding. Bottom line is to post complete information about the rider habits and the bike's behavior so that the reader gets a complete picture and then decides.

              I have come across a lot of people who are getting scared of buying the R3 due to 'overheating issues' reported here.

              Anyways a question to all owners: I wanted to change my engine oil to shell advance ultra for the 2nd service but the svc refused to change the oil brand saying it will void the warranty. I confirmed with Yamaha customer care and they too told it will void the warranty. So is an internal jugaad the only option to get the engine oil changed to a different brand?

              Also can anyone confirm on the shelf life of engine oils? Mine is written as sept 2014 on the can. Will it hold on till I complete 10k kms? (should take max till sept 2016). If yes I will get it done at he time of 3rd service.

              - Zeeshan
              The way you ride is the way you are..

              My Harley baraat!! |
              Ooty through a bike's perspective | KTM Duke 200 : A 20000 km experience

              Comment


              • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                I am also in dilemma whether I should go for R3 or some other as R3 is not available in my hometown. I really want to, but issues which are mentioned above are holding me back. Cause frequent visit to service centre is not possible in my busy schedule.
                I can manage the regular services as the intervals are are enough to justify it.
                Finding Life

                Comment


                • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                  Originally posted by Deathmate.Zed View Post
                  @ArnabC Great review there Arnab Da. It was really frustrating to see people posting things without actual knowledge and proper riding. Bottom line is to post complete information about the rider habits and the bike's behavior so that the reader gets a complete picture and then decides.

                  I have come across a lot of people who are getting scared of buying the R3 due to 'overheating issues' reported here.

                  Anyways a question to all owners: I wanted to change my engine oil to shell advance ultra for the 2nd service but the svc refused to change the oil brand saying it will void the warranty. I confirmed with Yamaha customer care and they too told it will void the warranty. So is an internal jugaad the only option to get the engine oil changed to a different brand?

                  Also can anyone confirm on the shelf life of engine oils? Mine is written as sept 2014 on the can. Will it hold on till I complete 10k kms? (should take max till sept 2016). If yes I will get it done at he time of 3rd service.

                  - Zeeshan
                  I'm using Motul 7100, but now thinking about it, I should have used 300v. If you would have insisted they would have used your preferred oil.
                  If the container or bottle of the motor oil remains sealed and unopened, it will last longer. Store the oil in a dry environment. I'm having the bottle I used for first service. Some of it is used for second service, I think still some renaming and kept it with me.

                  But in your case, I think oil will be 2 years old by the time you want to use it and I wouldn't recommend it to use it after that.

                  Read here.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                    Originally posted by itsmridul View Post
                    I am also in dilemma whether I should go for R3 or some other as R3 is not available in my hometown. I really want to, but issues which are mentioned above are holding me back. Cause frequent visit to service centre is not possible in my busy schedule.
                    I can manage the regular services as the intervals are are enough to justify it.
                    I don't visit frequently to SVC. I do only when the time comes or the KM reading gets to the recommended one. Don't pay heed to posts which are posted without actual knowledge.

                    As you're from Burdwan, you might know Shankar Murarka. Ask him about the bike he'll tell you face to face as he has ridden my bike.

                    Read my review where I have said that maintenance of R3 has been one of the key points till now for me and it has been true till now.

                    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                    Originally posted by B7ACKTHORN View Post
                    What's wise is to give heed to the user reviews themselves, because the reviews are directly coming from the users themselves, opinions. But rest, I think I will have to give it to you, it's completely common sense and you're correct. What's getting confused in this thread is not negativity, it's the users' inability to either get attuned to the bike or they simply go overboard. Something like macaroni and cheese pizza, looks good, you go by the reviews, you buy, the moment you keep it in your mouth it's spit or swallow moment, and some swallow with a hard smile on their face and some just barf, both are unique reviews, by different users for the same product.

                    18k review is up and hope to see users discern practical insight.

                    Cheers!
                    VJ
                    I really liked your comparison examples. Yeah and you're correct. And actually if some real issues happen I will share it here so that people can learn from it and prevent it from happening in their case.

                    And for all, as I said in my review, CHANGE THE TIRES !!
                    Yamaha YZF R15 V 2.0 (Oct, 2012 - Present)
                    Yamaha YZF R3 (Sep, 2015 - Present)

                    My Review of Yamaha R3 at 100K ODO

                    Ride a motorcycle if you want to live free, but above all ride it safe and make others' lives safe.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                      I have not faced any issues till now not even tyres grip i feel its decent for normal riding below 100 kmph will continue with these till 1600kms, then i will keep them as spare tyres.

                      Let us discuss about the tyre changing options.

                      Any one tried 150 or 160 tyres?
                      I will be changing the front to 120 and rear to 150.

                      ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                      breakfast ride
                      Attached Files
                      As I gaze upon your beauty, I think to myself, "never have I seen an angel fly so low".

                      Yamaha RX100, Yamaha RD350, Bajaj Pulsar 150, Honda Unicorn, Yamaha FZ16, Suzuki Gs150r, Honda Dazzler, Suzuki Gixxer, Benelli TNT 300, Yamaha R3

                      Comment


                      • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                        Did someone say radiator noise?
                        This is after a 15 minute run at very less to no traffic.
                        The road that leads to my home is a slow road but certainly not something where I can go faster than 30Km/h
                        Hero Honda Splendor (June 2001- Present)
                        Yamaha YZF R3 (Jan 2016 - Present)
                        TVS Scooty Zest 110 (Oct 2017 - Apr 2018)
                        TVS Ntorq 125 (May 2018 - Apr 2019)
                        KTM Duke 125 (Apr 2019 - Dec 2019)

                        Comment


                        • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                          Originally posted by fusioncoast View Post
                          I have not faced any issues till now not even tyres grip i feel its decent for normal riding below 100 kmph will continue with these till 1600kms, then i will keep them as spare tyres.

                          Let us discuss about the tyre changing options.

                          Any one tried 150 or 160 tyres?
                          I will be changing the front to 120 and rear to 150.
                          As from your post, I could understand that your bike ODO is under 1600 kms. Till 5-7K kms the tires will be good or seem good. But then the compound starts to get hardened and hence losing the grip. You would need at least 50-60 kms riding to heat up the tires somehow.

                          People have changed to 150/160 tires. Front one I would suggest to keep it as it is at 110. Rear one you can try 150/60-17.
                          Yamaha YZF R15 V 2.0 (Oct, 2012 - Present)
                          Yamaha YZF R3 (Sep, 2015 - Present)

                          My Review of Yamaha R3 at 100K ODO

                          Ride a motorcycle if you want to live free, but above all ride it safe and make others' lives safe.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                            Originally posted by Deathmate.Zed View Post
                            ..Also can anyone confirm on the shelf life of engine oils? ..
                            5 years at least .

                            Comment


                            • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                              Originally posted by Gollum View Post
                              Did someone say radiator noise?
                              This is after a 15 minute run at very less to no traffic.
                              The road that leads to my home is a slow road but certainly not something where I can go faster than 30Km/h
                              So are you saying the fan is noisy or not noisy?
                              If you feel it is noisy, put on a helmet and record the sound of the radiator fan (if you get to hear any sound that is!).
                              If you feel it is not noisy and you are literally going 'inside' the radiator to hear the fan, then for all practical purposes no rider is going to have his ears there while he rides.
                              If you ask my feedback, I think there is no radiator fan noise on the R3 with a helmet on. You should hear the KTM 390 radiator's. Having owned them for nearly 1.5 years, the R3 has next to zero fan noise.

                              And well, finally, all fans make noise - those in ACs and Coolers and those on the ceiling! And this poor fan is cooling something that is almost at boiling point - so let us give the poor guy some room to make some noise!
                              There is no better therapy than riding a bike down a straight road at full throttle with the sound of the engine for company.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences

                                Originally posted by Gollum View Post
                                Did someone say radiator noise?
                                That seems perfectly ok from what i have noticed.
                                On the recording it sounds kinda 'noisy' but that how most of these phone recordings of motorcycles turn out to be.
                                If you notice a different 'noise', say the fan bearings went kaput or something got stuck in the fin and it goes bonkers then get it checked.


                                Originally posted by mustang28 View Post
                                So are you saying the fan is noisy or not noisy?
                                And well, finally, all fans make noise - those in ACs and Coolers and those on the ceiling! And this poor fan is cooling something that is almost at boiling point - so let us give the poor guy some room to make some noise!
                                Precisely. Let it do its job.
                                The fan noise (or rather turbulence) on the r3 is neither as quiet as a cbr nor as loud as a ktm.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X