Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Castrol Power 1

Hot days = molten tar = slip/slide.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 582 of 783 FirstFirst ... 82482532572578579580581582583584585586592632682 ... LastLast
Results 5,811 to 5,820 of 7828
Like Tree3309Likes

Thread: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

  1. #5811
    Addicted adityagaur51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    dehradun
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by #bpk View Post
    Yes, we should use 10w 30 grade only
    10w40 works fine too... Using yamalube FS 10w40 for the second time...
    Next summer I might try castrol power 10w50...
    The first no. Of the oil is for its thinness and in how much lower temperature it would support... The latter no. In oil denotes it resistance to heat at certain temperature....
    As long as we keep oil grade at 10 or even 5 it would be ok... The latter grade shouldn't go bellow 30...
    Check the oil chart in the manual.... There is a limit on what tolerance of oil to use

  2. #5812
    Rusted #bpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tezpur , Assam
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by adityagaur51 View Post
    10w40 works fine too... Using yamalube FS 10w40 for the second time...
    Next summer I might try castrol power 10w50...
    The first no. Of the oil is for its thinness and in how much lower temperature it would support... The latter no. In oil denotes it resistance to heat at certain temperature....
    As long as we keep oil grade at 10 or even 5 it would be ok... The latter grade shouldn't go bellow 30...
    Check the oil chart in the manual.... There is a limit on what tolerance of oil to use
    But similar cases of engine failure happened to a fz 250 rider named cherry (source : YouTube ) He put 10w 50 grade instead of Yamaha recommended 10w 40

  3. #5813
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by adityagaur51 View Post
    10w40 works fine too... Using yamalube FS 10w40 for the second time...
    Next summer I might try castrol power 10w50...
    The first no. Of the oil is for its thinness and in how much lower temperature it would support... The latter no. In oil denotes it resistance to heat at certain temperature....
    As long as we keep oil grade at 10 or even 5 it would be ok... The latter grade shouldn't go bellow 30...
    Check the oil chart in the manual.... There is a limit on what tolerance of oil to use
    Quote Originally Posted by #bpk View Post
    But similar cases of engine failure happened to a fz 250 rider named cherry (source : YouTube ) He put 10w 50 grade instead of Yamaha recommended 10w 40
    You can stick with 10w-40, Aditya, but go ahead and experiment if you're curious. 10w40 is perfect for Indian summers too. When your vehicle really gets old and starts to sip oil or just before that, you can shift to a 15w-50 or 10w-50. Honda's chart in the Owner's manual is wrong, I think.

    Higher the temperature outside, difficult for the engine to lose heat, i.e., it will run slightly hotter. Bajaj recommends 10w-40 for some of their vehicles sold in Russia !

    xW-50 will stick to the bore better than xW-40. But at operating temperature, xW-40 will flow better. This ease-ness of flow too is important. Except a few vehicles where a dedicated nozzle sprays oil to the piston pin, most of the cylinder-piston is "splash lubricated", i.e., oil goes inside rotor filter, gets filtered, goes "into" the hollow of the crankshaft and reaches the connecting rod bearing (big end). Then it simply exits that bearing and "splashes" on the bore/piston/rings. Have you seen South Indian ladies/petty shop owners splash water before their houses/shop early in the morning? Like that.

    Some bikes like RTR 4v, GS150, Gixxer, some Pulsars (I think NS & 220, not sure) have a dedicated jet/nozzle that sprays the underside of the piston/pin with oil. But in those bikes too splash lubrication is employed chiefly for the bore.

    Cherry thinks 50 grade oil damaged the engine but it might not be the reason. Dirty oil of wrong grade flowing inside the engine and lubing the parts fairly good is better than no oil. Of course, the SVC will be happy to blame the 50 weight oil as then they can now refuse warranty benefits. Yamaha's manual used to recommend 20W50 and 20w40 in FZ V1 (the SVC/User can make a choice). I also don't think 20w50 damaged the Hornet (Can you share that Youtube link please?), must be some other reason.

    Interestingly, the very very early Hondas had 10w-40 recommendation, but in India, they chose the 20w40. At the same time, Honda recommended 20w50 for bikes like CBF150 (essentially Unicorn 150) sold in places like Peru. Then, overnight, almost all Hondas throughout the world came with a 10w30 recommendation. It helps in low emissions and better mileage. Another prime factor that will make a manufacturer chose a particular grade is tolerance - the gap between the gears, the gap between the ball of a bearing and it's outer race, etc - this gap should ideally be filled with the oil. More the gap, thicker the grade they prefer.

    X-Blade is eating into Hornet's sales:

    Indian 2 Wheeler Sales Figures – July 2018 – Auto Punditz
    Last edited by ashwanth.r; 09-06-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    Krishna3450 and adityagaur51 like this.


  4. #5814
    Addicted adityagaur51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    dehradun
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwanth.r View Post
    You can stick with 10w-40, Aditya, but go ahead and experiment if you're curious. 10w40 is perfect for Indian summers too. When your vehicle really gets old and starts to sip oil or just before that, you can shift to a 15w-50 or 10w-50. Honda's chart in the Owner's manual is wrong, I think.

    Higher the temperature outside, difficult for the engine to lose heat, i.e., it will run slightly hotter. Bajaj recommends 10w-40 for some of their vehicles sold in Russia !

    xW-50 will stick to the bore better than xW-40. But at operating temperature, xW-40 will flow better. This ease-ness of flow too is important. Except a few vehicles where a dedicated nozzle sprays oil to the piston pin, most of the cylinder-piston is "splash lubricated", i.e., oil goes inside rotor filter, gets filtered, goes "into" the hollow of the crankshaft and reaches the connecting rod bearing (big end). Then it simply exits that bearing and "splashes" on the bore/piston/rings. Have you seen South Indian ladies/petty shop owners splash water before their houses/shop early in the morning? Like that.

    Some bikes like RTR 4v, GS150, Gixxer, some Pulsars (I think NS & 220, not sure) have a dedicated jet/nozzle that sprays the underside of the piston/pin with oil. But in those bikes too splash lubrication is employed chiefly for the bore.

    Cherry thinks 50 grade oil damaged the engine but it might not be the reason. Dirty oil of wrong grade flowing inside the engine and lubing the parts fairly good is better than no oil. Of course, the SVC will be happy to blame the 50 weight oil as then they can now refuse warranty benefits. Yamaha's manual used to recommend 20W50 and 20w40 in FZ V1 (the SVC/User can make a choice). I also don't think 20w50 damaged the Hornet (Can you share that Youtube link please?), must be some other reason.

    Interestingly, the very very early Hondas had 10w-40 recommendation, but in India, they chose the 20w40. At the same time, Honda recommended 20w50 for bikes like CBF150 (essentially Unicorn 150) sold in places like Peru. Then, overnight, almost all Hondas throughout the world came with a 10w30 recommendation. It helps in low emissions and better mileage. Another prime factor that will make a manufacturer chose a particular grade is tolerance - the gap between the gears, the gap between the ball of a bearing and it's outer race, etc - this gap should ideally be filled with the oil. More the gap, thicker the grade they prefer.

    X-Blade is eating into Hornet's sales:

    Indian 2 Wheeler Sales Figures – July 2018 – Auto Punditz
    Yeah sir i agree with you that 10w40 is perfect but a little experiment here would help my experience...
    ashwanth.r likes this.

  5. #5815
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by adityagaur51 View Post
    Yeah sir i agree with you that 10w40 is perfect but a little experiment here would help my experience...
    Please drop the 'sir'. Yes, yes, go ahead and do it, I too have tried a 20w50 in my GS (It was Valvoline, SS). Initially I thought the vehicle was sluggish but later brushed it off as a psychological thing that happens after an oil change.
    adityagaur51 likes this.


  6. #5816
    Rusted anoopkumar0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hyderbad
    Posts
    653
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwanth.r View Post
    IMO, XBlade looks better with tank and underbelly design. It's more practical with 130 section tyre.
    X-Blade should really sport the exhaust from Hornet and dual disc breaks and ABS.
    It would be just killer package.
    Manufacturers are utter fools.


    Activa and Splendor are still kind of Indian road. TVS NTorq is gaining the pace.
    ------------------
    TravelLog: Hyderabad to Hampi
    Honda Hornet 160R Owner's Manual / Serviceshop manual

  7. #5817
    Rusted #bpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tezpur , Assam
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by anoopkumar0 View Post
    IMO, XBlade looks better with tank and underbelly design. It's more practical with 130 section tyre.
    X-Blade should really sport the exhaust from Hornet and dual disc breaks and ABS.
    It would be just killer package.
    Manufacturers are utter fools.


    Activa and Splendor are still kind of Indian road. TVS NTorq is gaining the pace.
    Xblade has better puckup due to 130 section tyre. Also, i dont understand why honda doesn't give features like gear indicator in premium hornet, but gives it on xblade, due to these reasons hornets production will be stopped due to poor sales, also xtreme 200 r will kill hornet. Hornet will be extinct

  8. #5818
    Rusted gowthamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    bangalore
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by #bpk View Post
    Xblade has better puckup due to 130 section tyre. Also, i dont understand why honda doesn't give features like gear indicator in premium hornet, but gives it on xblade, due to these reasons hornets production will be stopped due to poor sales, also xtreme 200 r will kill hornet. Hornet will be extinct
    If you compare the looks of hero xtreme 200r and hornet, hornet looks better (I don't like xtreme 200r headlight design)..also I don't think as xtreme is much smoother as hornet in its midranges...As a owner of hornet 160r, I can say the main problem with hornet is its low power Delivery in low RPM (this is where gixxer,fz scores I think) ,may the engine power delivery is linear (raises gradually, not instantly). If you blame the reason for low power in low RPM is hornet tyres, then in gixxer this is not the case(having similar kind of tyres). Also the chain getting loose frequently is an another annoying problem in hornet.
    Last edited by gowthamh; 09-07-2018 at 01:01 PM.

  9. #5819
    Rusted #bpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tezpur , Assam
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by gowthamh View Post
    If you compare the looks of hero xtreme 200r and hornet, hornet looks better (I don't like xtreme 200r headlight design)..also I don't think as xtreme is much smoother as hornet in its midranges...As a owner of hornet 160r, I can say the main problem with hornet is its low power Delivery in low RPM (this is where gixxer,fz scores I think) ,may the engine power delivery is linear (raises gradually, not instantly). If you blame the reason for low power in low RPM is hornet tyres, then in gixxer this is not the case(having similar kind of tyres). Also the chain getting loose frequently is an another annoying problem in hornet.
    Fz and gixxer weights roughly about 134kgs also their tyres are radial which causes less drag, but hornet weighs almost 141 kilograms( abs) ,also it doesn't have radial tyres, due to which hornet has less pickup than the duo. Xtreme 200r is a scaled down version of fz 250 with good low end torque and 18.4bhp of power due to which xtreme will be much peppier than 160cc bikes

  10. #5820
    Rusted gowthamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    bangalore
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CB Hornet 160R Owners Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by #bpk View Post
    Fz and gixxer weights roughly about 134kgs also their tyres are radial which causes less drag, but hornet weighs almost 141 kilograms( abs) ,also it doesn't have radial tyres, due to which hornet has less pickup than the duo. Xtreme 200r is a scaled down version of fz 250 with good low end torque and 18.4bhp of power due to which xtreme will be much peppier than 160cc bikes
    I think In hornet the tyres are radial tyres... Correct me if am wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. [Ownership Thread]: Yamaha YZF R3 Owners Reviews and Experiences
    By ankit mishra in forum Motorcycle Ownership Experiences
    Replies: 3996
    Last Post: 3 Days Ago, 01:49 AM
  2. Apache RTR 200 or Honda CB Hornet 160r
    By kumars in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-28-2017, 05:01 PM
  3. Honda CB Hornet 160R First Impressions
    By sunilg in forum Bike Reviews
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-17-2016, 02:27 PM
  4. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 03:44 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •