Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Dawn & dusk make slight hard to adjust.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Poll: How much mileage does your Pulsar 220 give?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3044 of 3060 FirstFirst ... 204425442944299430343040304130423043304430453046304730483054 ... LastLast
Results 30,431 to 30,440 of 30600
Like Tree1519Likes

Thread: Pulsar 220 DTSI

  1. #30431
    Rusted Akash.Yadav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    @ashwin bhai, this confirms that P220 is still a fantastic bike after so many years of launch without having to undergo major changes to engine or to anything else.
    When you mention AF, I recall that even I need to do something about the one in mine.
    Also, I noticed that my Carbon-Monoxide and Hydrocarbon readings have gone up since the last 2 times(1 year roughly) and ever since I started using Shell oil.
    It's just 12xx kms since I had Shell Mineral in mine and while not so reliable, I do cover around 320-340 kms in 10L of filtered crude oil. Most of my runs are in packed Pune roads with the most speed breakers I could ever dream about.

    I think I'll go back to Motul 5100(Rs. 520 a litre) or 3100(Rs. 485 for 1.2L can).
    Somehow Shell felt more smoother at times.
    #bpk likes this.
    Regards,
    Akash Yadav

    The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place. It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

  2. #30432
    Rusted #bpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tezpur , Assam
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Quote Originally Posted by Akash.Yadav View Post
    @ashwin bhai, this confirms that P220 is still a fantastic bike after so many years of launch without having to undergo major changes to engine or to anything else.
    When you mention AF, I recall that even I need to do something about the one in mine.
    Also, I noticed that my Carbon-Monoxide and Hydrocarbon readings have gone up since the last 2 times(1 year roughly) and ever since I started using Shell oil.
    It's just 12xx kms since I had Shell Mineral in mine and while not so reliable, I do cover around 320-340 kms in 10L of filtered crude oil. Most of my runs are in packed Pune roads with the most speed breakers I could ever dream about.

    I think I'll go back to Motul 5100(Rs. 520 a litre) or 3100(Rs. 485 for 1.2L can).
    Somehow Shell felt more smoother at times.
    Pulsar 220 is a legend

  3. #30433
    Sadakchhapp black asp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bangalore/Bhubaneswar
    Posts
    706
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
    Update:

    Been on a ride to and fro Bangalore, covering a little over 1400 km's.

    Day 1


    Couldn't source the P135 rear suspension so that had to be left for later, changed oil to Waxpol Force-P from Motul 3100 Gold and the performance was more or less the same which is surprising considering that the 3100 Gold is the best oil I've used in the motorcycle and the Force-P costs only have of the former at Rs.228/- per 1.2 Liter.

    The ride started as it usually happened when I used to do the same route a couple of years back when I was still in College, the first 30% of the ride is done in ghat sections and hence the speed was kept under 100 kmph until I reached Thirumangalam, and the motorcycle did perform exceptionally well until now.

    Attachment 249196

    So much so that my first break was after 256 km's of non-stop riding.

    Attachment 249195

    But once on the interstate highways it was quite obvious that something was wrong, the motorcycle was hitting the brick wall and simply failed to cross 110~115kmph on the speedo, I usually change my AF at 5k intervals and SP at 10k intervals, both of which was coming up at the 40k mark which has been close for a while now.

    Attachment 249209

    Attachment 249198

    My suspicion was that I went overboard with lubing the AF during the last change and simply didn't notice the restriction due to riding within Kerala roads, but on mentioning the same to @black asp a.k.a Parvez he said that the issue in question was more likely due to the spark plugs used, and since my motorcycle was rarely used I'd forgotten which plug I had put in before.

    I met Parvez after 1AM at night and he had brought with him NGK CR9E Plugs which he stocks in bulk due to them being hard to come by, he was also carrying the tools necessary for changing plugs and within no time I had new plugs installed, the reason for the brick wall was the RTR plugs I had installed last time and completely forgotten about.

    Attachment 249197

    He also got me the tool used to disassemble the P220's forks.

    At the end of the day I had covered 717.2 km's.

    Attachment 249199

    Day 2

    Since I only brought a tank bag along I had to improvise a bit to bring the tool back to Kerala;

    Attachment 249200

    The saree guard served me well for that.

    Within no time I was out of Karnataka and back on the open highways ;

    Attachment 249201

    And she was screaming as she used to do back in the day, hitting 130 kmph on the speedo within a blink of an eye, hence confirming Parvez's suspicion, and as per his advice I would stop lubing the AF from now on, would use it dry just as it comes.

    Now with the higher speeds I was hauling ass and within no time was nearing the exit at Thirumangalam from where I'd have to resume on the ghat sections;

    Attachment 249202

    Until now everything was touch-wood, and then suddenly while overtaking hard I sense the clutch slipping at around 8~8.5k RPM, rolled off the throttle and then rolled back on and the same thing happened again.

    Since the clutch is a consumable I wasn't surprised and decided to take it further at a slower pace, hence speeds were kept around the 100 kmph mark.

    In between I had stopped for lunch and on resuming noticed that the clutch wasn't slipping anymore at higher RPM's, which leads me to believe that the clutch only slips when extremely hot i.e I've been riding non-stop for about 200 km's or so.

    Even maintaining lower speeds I reached Kerala soon and since this was the Thenmala route I could put the MRF Masseters to test as they were about 2k km's old at the time, and having removed my main stand stopper(black rubber piece) I had great expectations;

    Attachment 249203

    But my expectations were short lived as within no time I was scraping the main stand on either side;

    Attachment 249204

    This is the maximum I could lean on either side;

    Attachment 249205 Attachment 249206

    Since I'd prefer keeping the main-stand my only hope is that I source the P135 shocks at the earliest as they offer about 1.5~2inch raise at the rear.

    And after that she was back in her usual spot within no time, as with the superior grip I was able to push my average speeds even within Kerala roads.

    Attachment 249207

    With that she ended the day at 701.1 km's.

    Attachment 249208

    As observed by Parvez my motorcycle has slight timing chain noise as well, hence would be changing timing chain tensioner, would be leaving shortly to procure parts, will share any updates if any.

    Happy Voting!

    A.P.
    Thanks for your kind words. It's always these small things that go bad. Keeping these in check sorts out everything.

    One advice to owners. Stop being paranoid about minor things like a fuse here or oil leak there.
    Having owned 3 220s in my life I can vouch for the same. They are vibey and not well(poorly) designed bikes but they are the best suited for Indian roads. Parts may lack the quality but they are cheap and widespread.

    CHEERS
    Last edited by black asp; 04-23-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Yamaha RXZ 5 speed (sold)
    Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS fi( sold)
    Bajaj Discover 112(2006)
    Yamaha R15 V2(2011)
    Yezdi 250 model B(1978)
    RX 135 4 speed(1998)
    Yamaha Rajdoot 350(1989-unrestored)
    Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i (2011)Crashed and sold :'(
    Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i (2009-Fastest Indian)

  4. #30434
    Rookie Vatsa Kulkarni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hubli & Bengaluru
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Hello All,

    Recently after replacing the timing chain and its tensioner, the bike now idles smooth and pulls off clean almost instantly with throttle input and gives a healthy 38-40kmpl.

    I also got to know that the mechanic I trusted with, filled 15w40 oil rather than the recommended 15w50, I knew it by the time I had run almost a 600kms beacuse the engine started to heat up a lot even on my daily 25km office ride.

    I had removed the snorkel under the seat where air intake sits, may be the engine ran leaner but boy hearing the grunt on accelerating was so fun! Now its back on as I am afraid it might affect AFR.

    I even suspect timing chain issue started because of using this 15w40 oil in summer or because of that snorkel.

    Lesson learnt :
    1. Never fiddle/experiment with the mechanism of the bike.
    2. Always be present with the mechanic when he pours in fresh oil no matter how good/close he is!

    I have also shelved the thought of getting an aftermarket exhaust after this fiasco.
    TVSian likes this.
    Bikes Owned:
    Hero Honda CD100 (ODO broke the day I was born) SOLD
    Honda CB Twister (78K kms) SOLD
    Bajaj Pulsar 220F (32K kms) Current

    "I ride anything with a motor on it!"

  5. #30435
    Rusted Akash.Yadav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Quote Originally Posted by Vatsa Kulkarni View Post
    Hello All,

    Recently after replacing the timing chain and its tensioner, the bike now idles smooth and pulls off clean almost instantly with throttle input and gives a healthy 38-40kmpl.

    I also got to know that the mechanic I trusted with, filled 15w40 oil rather than the recommended 15w50, I knew it by the time I had run almost a 600kms beacuse the engine started to heat up a lot even on my daily 25km office ride.

    I had removed the snorkel under the seat where air intake sits, may be the engine ran leaner but boy hearing the grunt on accelerating was so fun! Now its back on as I am afraid it might affect AFR.

    I even suspect timing chain issue started because of using this 15w40 oil in summer or because of that snorkel.

    Lesson learnt :
    1. Never fiddle/experiment with the mechanism of the bike.
    2. Always be present with the mechanic when he pours in fresh oil no matter how good/close he is!

    I have also shelved the thought of getting an aftermarket exhaust after this fiasco.
    Nice to hear happy stories of 220 after so many years of its presence.
    I experimented with Shell Full Synthetic(bad choice), Shell Mineral(far better than FS), Motul 5100 and Bajaj Genuine Oil in the last 4 years.
    Now I have ordered Motul 3100 in the same grade as factory recommended. Hoping to see good changes.

    In other notes, my PUC numbers of Carbon Monoxide and Hydrocarbons have increased. Not sure why and how to control it.
    Regards,
    Akash Yadav

    The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place. It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

  6. #30436
    Rookie Vatsa Kulkarni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hubli & Bengaluru
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Quote Originally Posted by Akash.Yadav View Post

    In other notes, my PUC numbers of Carbon Monoxide and Hydrocarbons have increased. Not sure why and how to control it.
    AFAIK,

    A complete combustion in the chamber gives out only CO2 and H2O. When fuel mixture is increased this upsets AFR as there is not enough air in the chamber to fully burn the fuel which in turn results in incomplete combustion giving out some amount of CO and HydroCarbons.

    These may help:
    1. Check AFR screw and find the right setting (may be 2.5 turns from close position)
    2. Replace spark plugs if they have run above 10k kms (I opted Bosch this time, will soon source NGK)
    3. Check valve clearance

    If this doesn't lower emission, then it may be narrowed down to a fouled catcon in the exhaust.

    Let experts also have a say over this.
    Bikes Owned:
    Hero Honda CD100 (ODO broke the day I was born) SOLD
    Honda CB Twister (78K kms) SOLD
    Bajaj Pulsar 220F (32K kms) Current

    "I ride anything with a motor on it!"

  7. #30437
    Rusted ashwinprakas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kerala, India
    Posts
    3,768
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Got a few spares today;

    Name:  IMG-20190424-WA0013.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  71.1 KB

    Changed rear suspension to longer options;

    Name:  IMG-20190424-WA0017.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  107.6 KB

    Name:  IMG-20190424-WA0045.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  117.2 KB

    Name:  IMG_20190424_170413.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  111.2 KB

    And the timing chain tensioner;

    Name:  IMG-20190424-WA0027.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  54.7 KB

    The main-stand had to be scrapped as it wasn't touching the ground due to the added ground clearance, though the side stand is holding pretty well.

    Cheers,
    A.P.
    Vatsa Kulkarni and Aswinlogi like this.
    Motorcycling Experience:
    2000 ~ 2017 Y2K Kinetic Zoom (Disposed at 15k)
    2011 ~ 2015 Hero Honda Karizma R (Sold at 56.5k)
    2013 ~ 2014 Bajaj Discover 100 4G (Sold at 16.5k)
    2015 ~ 2017 TVS Wego (Totaled at 18k)
    2015 - Bajaj Pulsar 220F (Currently 31k) < Garage Queen!
    2017 - Bajaj CT100B (Currently 21k) < 'Golden Quadrilateral' Runner!

    The Ride was Good, but Life is short, spend it Wisely!
    Adios Comrades!
    A.P. 2018

  8. #30438
    Rusted Akash.Yadav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
    Got a few spares today;


    Changed rear suspension to longer options;


    And the timing chain tensioner;


    The main-stand had to be scrapped as it wasn't touching the ground due to the added ground clearance, though the side stand is holding pretty well.

    Cheers,
    A.P.
    Do the suspension springs have different thickness?
    It might be the photo effect but I think the 220 suspension looks to have thicker spring than the P135 although the P135 suspension is long travel and may be it provides better bum saving duties than the stock one.
    Regards,
    Akash Yadav

    The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place. It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

  9. #30439
    Rusted ashwinprakas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kerala, India
    Posts
    3,768
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Quote Originally Posted by Akash.Yadav View Post
    Do the suspension springs have different thickness?
    It might be the photo effect but I think the 220 suspension looks to have thicker spring than the P135 although the P135 suspension is long travel and may be it provides better bum saving duties than the stock one.
    Spring is of the same thickness, the winding is thicker on the P220, but as far as stiffness go the P135 even at the lowest setting is stiff enough to inspire confidence.
    Motorcycling Experience:
    2000 ~ 2017 Y2K Kinetic Zoom (Disposed at 15k)
    2011 ~ 2015 Hero Honda Karizma R (Sold at 56.5k)
    2013 ~ 2014 Bajaj Discover 100 4G (Sold at 16.5k)
    2015 ~ 2017 TVS Wego (Totaled at 18k)
    2015 - Bajaj Pulsar 220F (Currently 31k) < Garage Queen!
    2017 - Bajaj CT100B (Currently 21k) < 'Golden Quadrilateral' Runner!

    The Ride was Good, but Life is short, spend it Wisely!
    Adios Comrades!
    A.P. 2018

  10. #30440
    Rusted Zapps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Ludhiana, Punjab
    Posts
    836
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Pulsar 220 DTSI

    Quote Originally Posted by Akash.Yadav View Post
    Nice to hear happy stories of 220 after so many years of its presence.
    I experimented with Shell Full Synthetic(bad choice), Shell Mineral(far better than FS), Motul 5100 and Bajaj Genuine Oil in the last 4 years.
    Now I have ordered Motul 3100 in the same grade as factory recommended. Hoping to see good changes.

    In other notes, my PUC numbers of Carbon Monoxide and Hydrocarbons have increased. Not sure why and how to control it.
    Once you are sure that everything else is fine (carb is clean, sparks & air filter are replaced), then the best way is to do that 2.5-3 turn thing. I trust my mechanic the way sets the AFR using PUC machine, so there's no guess work.

Similar Threads

  1. Pulsar DTSi Documents - Part Catalogue, Training Notes
    By BOOO in forum General Biking Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
  2. HELP:Pulsar DTSI UG1 right turn problem
    By chicmagnet in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
  3. Pulsar 150 DTSi starting issues
    By Laddoo in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 07:39 AM
  4. P150 DTSi goes 10.15 KmpH
    By vishwakarma.deepak in forum The Tourer
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 10:06 AM
  5. HELP: Pulsar dtsi fuel overflow problem
    By pulsarmaniac in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 10:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •