Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

All the gear all the time (ATGATT).

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

  1. #1
    Moderator Samarth 619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rajasthan
    Posts
    4,803
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Icon13 Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    On 14 June 2015, the riders from the Madras Riders Club, a biker group from Chennai were apprehended by the Mahabalipuram Police. According to the police, the riders were stopped for overspeeding, for which the former lacked any conclusive evidence. Despite that, the riders were charged Rs. 300 as fine for allegedly overspeeding. When confronted for proof about their allegations, the cops supposedly threatened the young riders of dire consequences if they asked more questions, and subsequently took them to a nearby police station.


    According to some key individuals involved with the incident, a couple of crashes involving bikers in the recent past on the East Coast Road (ECR) in Chennai, triggered an order from the Deputy Commissioner of Police to stop all biking activities on that piece of tarmac. Though the DCP likely meant well, the police started applying the directive as a blanket rule for any and everyone on a motorcycle, especially those of the faster variety, or superbikes.

    A key source told the source journalist group, that the Club organises track days for its members.

    The police say that they were only following the Criminal Procedure Code (CRPC), though Human rights activists state that the CRPC does not mention anything about checking the colour of a person’s underpants. One of the activists went on to say, “The police have to note down moles and scars that are visible. But there is no need to make a person strip.” One of the riders we spoke to, told us that they were asked to strip within full view of those present in and around the police station. Though the cops have the right to detain those who venture onto the wrong side of law, the law itself does not grant them the right to strip anyone. The police were tasked to stop any/all biking activity on the ECR, but there was no mention of detaining bikers from riding their motorcycle and none demanding pressing of unproven (as yet) charges against them.

    According to one of the riders we contacted, they weren’t even allowed basic necessities such as food or water during the nine hours they spent there. In the meantime, some of the riders were accused with more invalidated charges on counts of rash driving and then some. Later, one of the parents of a rider arrived at the police station with a lawyer in tow. After much talk, the riders were let go. However, before letting them off, a few of them had to pay Rs. 1,200 as fine at the station itself, whilst some others went to the Court to pay the same.


    After this unfortunate incident, certain members of the Madras Riders Club, in conjunction with other biking groups in Chennai, are thinking of forming an association. Once formed, the members would then decide on how to take this matter further.


    For images and more info, kindly check the source link:-

    Source: Chennai riders stripped to underpants in police station: The full story | Motoroids

    ==
    Guys, Xbhp totally supports the normal functioning of the law, but not against an ethical biker's dignity. Even if they were overspeeding (although Police failed to prove the same), would stripping them to underpants be justified? Or, Is there something we're missing? Are any one of you directly involved with this ride in any way? Do you have some videos or text to share regarding this?
    Is the time near when, just like shopkeepers, manufacturers & employees, even bikers will have regional associations?

    Guys, your thoughts?
    Last edited by Samarth 619; 06-19-2015 at 09:16 PM.
    sanjaysangar1990 likes this.

  2. #2
    Rusted sanjaysangar1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mumbai/Pune
    Posts
    615
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    Law has become crap in this country

    How much a biker has to suffer. Almost 90% of the times the law blames the 2 wheeler folks.

    Agreed some of the people on 2 wheels do not follow rules. But law is being misused in disguise of overspeeding, rash riding and to be shocked even for wearing riding gear

    I was once stopped at vikhroli(mumbai) for wearing riding gears. Police waala comes and asks " race karne jaa raha hai" (are you going for racing) I said its for my protection and then the police waala asks to check my bag and asks me to unzip only the jacket as if I am carrying a atom bomb

    How come they become the protectors of law when they themselves dont know the law.

    I saw a 3 star policeman on a bullet without helmet at a signal, when I asked he said I have the police cap on my head thats why

    Sent from my LT28h using xBhp Connect mobile app

  3. #3
    Rusted krishna77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dum Dum, Kolkata
    Posts
    5,379
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    A huge thumb down for those policemen from me!
    Its time such an association is formed. And xBhp can play a crucial role. There is no bigger pan-Indian biker forum than xBhp. At least our lawyer members can guide other members who face such situations.
    And this stripping thing is not specific to any particular group I think. Its more of a demonstration of power. Like 'you have raised your voice against me so I will show you who I am'. Of course, everyone has to respect the law of the land - but not at the cost of dignity.
    My suggestion - can we sign something like a digital signature or take out a print-out of a Google form, sign it and then send it to a server after scanning? From there, a petition can be filed. A few such protests throughout the nation for a few such incidents(in India, there will be no shortage of which) and enough publicity will be there to ensure that these things do not happen again.

  4. #4
    Rusted sanjaysangar1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mumbai/Pune
    Posts
    615
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    Krishna bhai,

    Every alternate day petitions are signed for one or the other issue, are they given any attention?
    No, they are not given any attention.

    Sorry to be negative, but I am practical here.

    What happened in nirbhaya case, when it was fresh there was plenty of protest and later sab thande pad gaye.

    We can try to form something, but I personally feel it won't be effective.

    Once again sorry to be negative, but its a fact.

    Cheer,
    Sanjay

    Sent from my LT28h using xBhp Connect mobile app

  5. #5
    Rusted krishna77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dum Dum, Kolkata
    Posts
    5,379
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    You are not negative - you are correct. What I am trying to say is we must do somrthing so that such things do not happen in future. Tomorrow, it may hapeen with anybody of us.

  6. #6
    Addicted zikzak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    India is a country where bikers have no values. You can't wear riding gears other than just a helmet. If you wear gloves, knee guard, riding boots and jacket u becomes a racer who won't follow the rules and who ride rashly on road (that's how cops and peeps think). IMO we need a regional association and we need to educate people about biking (even the highly educated one)

  7. #7
    Moderator Samarth 619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rajasthan
    Posts
    4,803
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaysangar1990 View Post
    I saw a 3 star policeman on a bullet without helmet at a signal, when I asked he said I have the police cap on my head thats why
    Wow...

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaysangar1990 View Post
    Krishna bhai,
    Every alternate day petitions are signed for one or the other issue, are they given any attention?
    No, they are not given any attention.
    Sorry to be negative, but I am practical here.
    What happened in nirbhaya case, when it was fresh there was plenty of protest and later sab thande pad gaye.
    We can try to form something, but I personally feel it won't be effective.
    Once again sorry to be negative, but its a fact.
    Cheer,
    Sanjay
    Sent from my LT28h using xBhp Connect mobile app
    See, there are 2 aspects.
    Which level's person/ organisation do you want to object against? And secondly, how many signatures you got. If you want to change the nation's law, atleast 20,000 to 40,000 signatures are required. Mahabalipuram's Police is not at a national level, so you won't need so many signatures.
    Recently, I also signed a petition, whereby army horses and dogs were killed senselessly when they get older, and fail one fitness test. Guess what, its creating impact already. There will talks on this matter in Defence Ministry.

    And, Nirbhaya case, I would say, did create change. The rules, for the very first time, included death penalty for gang rapes. The implementation might be another matter, but we did create a change. Isn't it?

    I can only request you, that even if you believe otherwise, JUST SIGN THE PETITION anyways, for formality if not anything else...

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna77 View Post
    A huge thumb down for those policemen from me!
    Its time such an association is formed. And xBhp can play a crucial role. There is no bigger pan-Indian biker forum than xBhp. At least our lawyer members can guide other members who face such situations.
    And this stripping thing is not specific to any particular group I think. Its more of a demonstration of power. Like 'you have raised your voice against me so I will show you who I am'. Of course, everyone has to respect the law of the land - but not at the cost of dignity.
    My suggestion - can we sign something like a digital signature or take out a print-out of a Google form, sign it and then send it to a server after scanning? From there, a petition can be filed. A few such protests throughout the nation for a few such incidents(in India, there will be no shortage of which) and enough publicity will be there to ensure that these things do not happen again.
    Clearly, they have crossed a line this time, if the stripping and starving for food, water, etc is true. We can already create a petition on various online sites, for people to sign. But we need to coordinate well for this. Right now, I suggest you don't create a petition for this.

    I'm trying to get in touch with the bikers who were affected by this. We need to know what happened exactly, and then there should be one petition for all to sign so that it gains big numbers...

    As for now, I think if a professional lawyer is consulted for creating a biker's legal handbook kind of thing, that would be great for protecting our interests.. But that would require someone to pay for the services of the lawyer. Such legal matters need to be authentic, and that takes a lot of time studying the IPC, and for that paid services are more reliable. @sunilg @Sunny @MG @Old Fox

  8. #8
    Addicted sun105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dehra Dun, India, India
    Posts
    167
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    Quote Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
    Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    On 14 June 2015, the riders from the Madras Riders Club, a biker group from Chennai were apprehended by the Mahabalipuram Police. According to the police, the riders were stopped for overspeeding, for which the former lacked any conclusive evidence. Despite that, the riders were charged Rs. 300 as fine for allegedly overspeeding. When confronted for proof about their allegations, the cops supposedly threatened the young riders of dire consequences if they asked more questions, and subsequently took them to a nearby police station.


    According to some key individuals involved with the incident, a couple of crashes involving bikers in the recent past on the East Coast Road (ECR) in Chennai, triggered an order from the Deputy Commissioner of Police to stop all biking activities on that piece of tarmac. Though the DCP likely meant well, the police started applying the directive as a blanket rule for any and everyone on a motorcycle, especially those of the faster variety, or superbikes.

    A key source told the source journalist group, that the Club organises track days for its members.

    The police say that they were only following the Criminal Procedure Code (CRPC), though Human rights activists state that the CRPC does not mention anything about checking the colour of a persons underpants. One of the activists went on to say, The police have to note down moles and scars that are visible. But there is no need to make a person strip. One of the riders we spoke to, told us that they were asked to strip within full view of those present in and around the police station. Though the cops have the right to detain those who venture onto the wrong side of law, the law itself does not grant them the right to strip anyone. The police were tasked to stop any/all biking activity on the ECR, but there was no mention of detaining bikers from riding their motorcycle and none demanding pressing of unproven (as yet) charges against them.

    According to one of the riders we contacted, they werent even allowed basic necessities such as food or water during the nine hours they spent there. In the meantime, some of the riders were accused with more invalidated charges on counts of rash driving and then some. Later, one of the parents of a rider arrived at the police station with a lawyer in tow. After much talk, the riders were let go. However, before letting them off, a few of them had to pay Rs. 1,200 as fine at the station itself, whilst some others went to the Court to pay the same.


    After this unfortunate incident, certain members of the Madras Riders Club, in conjunction with other biking groups in Chennai, are thinking of forming an association. Once formed, the members would then decide on how to take this matter further.


    For images and more info, kindly check the source link:-

    Source: Chennai riders stripped to underpants in police station: The full story | Motoroids

    ==
    Guys, Xbhp totally supports the normal functioning of the law, but not against an ethical biker's dignity. Even if they were overspeeding (although Police failed to prove the same), would stripping them to underpants be justified? Or, Is there something we're missing? Are any one of you directly involved with this ride in any way? Do you have some videos or text to share regarding this?
    Is the time near when, just like shopkeepers, manufacturers & employees, even bikers will have regional associations?

    Guys, your thoughts?
    In my opinion जब कुछ नही कर सकते तो उंगली तो कर सकते है .do not think if something will get changed by our action or not we must do what we can .for example as suggested by other members signature campaign or we can collect fund for legal proceeding.Believe in the power of your finger and poke it wherever you get a chance to.whatever you people decide i am with you but do somthing.
    2030 " we used to ride petrol motorbike and you can not even afford one drop of it"

  9. #9
    Rusted rachitsharma2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    432
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    Quote Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post

    Even if they were overspeeding (although Police failed to prove the same), would stripping them to underpants be justified?
    If stripping is the police's answer to overspeeding, then we should just throw away all our gears ans start riding in underwears!

    My guess is that police would have seen the premium bikes, riding gears, assumed riders were speeding and decided to teach them a lesson. Next they might as well shoot a rider involved in an accident.

    The tragedy is that speed limits are so moronic, every rider breaks this law every time she/he rides.
    Riding a bike is like flying.... All your senses are alive...

  10. #10
    Rusted Nithesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mangalore, Karnataka
    Posts
    1,291
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chennai Riders apprehended by Mahabalipuram Police, made to strip.

    I was stopped at around 10pm for documents in a quiet Bangalorean neighborhood because i was all geared up and they thought i was a chain snatcher.
    Got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Photo Feature]: Mini ride to Mahabalipuram
    By n_venki_2001 in forum The Tourer
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 10:09 PM
  2. [Photo Feature]: LEGEND RIDERS on a trip to Chennai To Yelagiri
    By ksinha1 in forum The Tourer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 09:30 AM
  4. ATV for Chennai Police
    By arunteche in forum News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 02:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •