Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

#xBhpAxorHelmet #2

Axor
Castrol Power 1

Regularly check tyre pressures.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

  1. #1
    Addicted Joy Sen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jamshedpur (Tata Nagar), India, India
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    I went through the whole forum and couldn't get much proper info of how is the re-sleeving of the cylinder done. I tried searching on the internet too and got the basic knowledge that a new sleeve is fitted into the cylinder using the specialized lathe machine.

    But in this specific (cylinder) thread i would love if someone who has done sleeving of the engine and throw some light on why it is or isn't recommended.

    I have had mixed reactions from people saying that the re sleeved standard cylinder is not at par with the stock std cylinder, performance wise. But i am yet to understand why?

    Bike Guru's kindly share the info. (Basically i want to know about a 2 stroke engine Re Sleeving, but even if any other bike has been re sleeved, i would really appreciate them sharing the experience)

    Thanks in advance, Cheers !!
    Last edited by xBhp; 08-08-2020 at 05:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Thread approved.

  3. #3
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Guwahati, Bangalore
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Sen View Post
    I went through the whole forum and couldn't get much proper info of how is the re-sleeving of the cylinder done. I tried searching on the internet too and got the basic knowledge that a new sleeve is fitted into the cylinder using the specialized lathe machine.

    But in this specific (cylinder) thread i would love if someone who has done sleeving of the engine and throw some light on why it is or isn't recommended.

    I have had mixed reactions from people saying that the re sleeved standard cylinder is not at par with the stock std cylinder, performance wise. But i am yet to understand why?

    Bike Guru's kindly share the info. (Basically i want to know about a 2 stroke engine Re Sleeving, but even if any other bike has been re sleeved, i would really appreciate them sharing the experience)

    Thanks in advance, Cheers !!
    As it is in your first point 1 ) the sleeve material is hard to get 2) near impossible to find a capable lathe machine and a mechanist to do a compatible job.

    Further as it is easier to find a new cylinder/piston even offbrand, the original which is next to impossible to get is used as a template to retro fit the new material( port diameter, bore size etc)

  4. #4
    Addicted Joy Sen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jamshedpur (Tata Nagar), India, India
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    As it is in your first point 1 ) the sleeve material is hard to get 2) near impossible to find a capable lathe machine and a mechanist to do a compatible job.

    Further as it is easier to find a new cylinder/piston even offbrand, the original which is next to impossible to get is used as a template to retro fit the new material( port diameter, bore size etc)
    Can you please explain sleeve material, Like when I asked my mechanic that we need to do the sleeving work he said the process will take 2 to 3 hrs and it will be done.

    He also added that the performance will be different as compared with the original OEM.

    Please throw some light on it, is it worth doing sleeving job to the existing bore kit?

  5. #5
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Guwahati, Bangalore
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Sen View Post
    Can you please explain sleeve material, Like when I asked my mechanic that we need to do the sleeving work he said the process will take 2 to 3 hrs and it will be done.

    He also added that the performance will be different as compared with the original OEM.

    Please throw some light on it, is it worth doing sleeving job to the existing bore kit?
    Sleeve material can be anything, most likely it would some grade of iron; it works like this, imagine you have a steel drinking glass, now that has spouted some leaks, sleeving would usually mean that you insert a smaller drinking glass into it, now this smaller glass ideally should be of the same material as the the original i.e steel, but it can be aluminum, tin etc etc.

    Problem of using different metals is that because different metals expand and contract differently at same temperatures, too much of a difference would mean the sleeve unseating from the cylinder and a wrecked engine.

    You have to take a judgement call on whether to trust your mech or not.

    If this the original factory bore? I wont sleeve it as I will use it as a template,; the manual stated that the bore could be rebored upto 2 or 3 times after which it has to be replaced. Because original bores are so hard to get, I would rather wait get a knockoff one and use the measurements of the orginal to match the knockoff.
    Joy Sen likes this.

  6. #6
    Addicted Joy Sen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jamshedpur (Tata Nagar), India, India
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    Sleeve material can be anything, most likely it would some grade of iron; it works like this, imagine you have a steel drinking glass, now that has spouted some leaks, sleeving would usually mean that you insert a smaller drinking glass into it, now this smaller glass ideally should be of the same material as the the original i.e steel, but it can be aluminum, tin etc etc.

    Problem of using different metals is that because different metals expand and contract differently at same temperatures, too much of a difference would mean the sleeve unseating from the cylinder and a wrecked engine.

    You have to take a judgement call on whether to trust your mech or not.

    If this the original factory bore? I wont sleeve it as I will use it as a template,; the manual stated that the bore could be rebored upto 2 or 3 times after which it has to be replaced. Because original bores are so hard to get, I would rather wait get a knockoff one and use the measurements of the orginal to match the knockoff.
    Thankfulness for the advice brother, Since I am already running on .50 mm that is the second bore and there is no compressor left in my bike. Now I have contacted all my Mechanics who used to deal in Used blocks and spares of Yamaha but very few guys are having the same and cost of the. 25 mm bore they are charging 7000/- which is very high I guess.

    Now It's all began when I gave attention to the sound of my friend's bike which was fully different and a very nice crisp very hard-hitting sound from the silencer. I took off to the mechanic and asked him the reason he said a good engine and compressor can change the sound of the bike. So from that day, I was entered in that state of mind to change the bore kit or just do the sleeve work.

  7. #7
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Guwahati, Bangalore
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Sen View Post
    Thankfulness for the advice brother, Since I am already running on .50 mm that is the second bore and there is no compressor left in my bike. Now I have contacted all my Mechanics who used to deal in Used blocks and spares of Yamaha but very few guys are having the same and cost of the. 25 mm bore they are charging 7000/- which is very high I guess.

    Now It's all began when I gave attention to the sound of my friend's bike which was fully different and a very nice crisp very hard-hitting sound from the silencer. I took off to the mechanic and asked him the reason he said a good engine and compressor can change the sound of the bike. So from that day, I was entered in that state of mind to change the bore kit or just do the sleeve work.
    Save the original bore get a fake one from amazon flipkart etc, use the measurements of the old bore on the new bore, porting boring etc.

    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Sen View Post
    Thankfulness for the advice brother, Since I am already running on .50 mm that is the second bore and there is no compressor left in my bike. Now I have contacted all my Mechanics who used to deal in Used blocks and spares of Yamaha but very few guys are having the same and cost of the. 25 mm bore they are charging 7000/- which is very high I guess.

    Now It's all began when I gave attention to the sound of my friend's bike which was fully different and a very nice crisp very hard-hitting sound from the silencer. I took off to the mechanic and asked him the reason he said a good engine and compressor can change the sound of the bike. So from that day, I was entered in that state of mind to change the bore kit or just do the sleeve work.
    Save the original bore get a fake one from amazon flipkart etc, use the measurements of the old bore on the new bore, porting boring etc.
    Joy Sen likes this.

  8. #8
    Addicted Joy Sen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jamshedpur (Tata Nagar), India, India
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    Save the original bore get a fake one from amazon flipkart etc, use the measurements of the old bore on the new bore, porting boring etc.

    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----



    Save the original bore get a fake one from amazon flipkart etc, use the measurements of the old bore on the new bore, porting boring etc.
    So today I went to Garage gaon where i got one Bore kit Block G4 series. They said it is the original block with standard Size, although i couldn't find the difference.

    I have a doubt whether it is the sleeved one or standard size? Please check the picture below and help me to identify whether this one is sleeved one or standard one.

    Price of the same is 3500/-

    If this is the standard bore then tomorrow I will visit there to fix this in my bike and then will check the compressure.

  9. #9
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Guwahati, Bangalore
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Sen View Post
    So today I went to Garage gaon where i got one Bore kit Block G4 series. They said it is the original block with standard Size, although i couldn't find the difference.

    I have a doubt whether it is the sleeved one or standard size? Please check the picture below and help me to identify whether this one is sleeved one or standard one.

    Price of the same is 3500/-
    I cannot make out from the photos alone whether it is bored or sleeved take your mechanic for checking.

    The price is too much, this is a third generation bore, if you look at the other rx posts, they mention that the code should be KA 001 on the side where in the photo it is mentioned yamaha 99 cc

    Negotiate for 2500 or 2000 and take it.

  10. #10
    Addicted Joy Sen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jamshedpur (Tata Nagar), India, India
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Sleeving cylinder of Yamaha RX-100

    Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    I cannot make out from the photos alone whether it is bored or sleeved take your mechanic for checking.

    The price is too much, this is a third generation bore, if you look at the other rx posts, they mention that the code should be KA 001 on the side where in the photo it is mentioned yamaha 99 cc

    Negotiate for 2500 or 2000 and take it.
    I was very frustrated for the past few days just to get a standard bore kit for my bike, so without any doubt I got it checked by the mechanic and got to know that it is the standard one.

    So i didn't put so many thought and bought it for 3500/- because it was not negotiable so i gave him the money and took it to home also I purchased 10 No Goetze piston along with it.

    Very soon I am going to fix this in my bike. I had a question stating your quote that it is third generation bore, What do you means by that and also elaborate it's third generation meaning whether it is the good one or bad one or m I on the loss side By having this bore???

    Please check my YouTube link for the clear video of Bore kit below.

    https://youtu.be/n6oVenMzaSM

    Pls watch my video on Standard size bore kit identification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Re Sleeving the cylinder
    By The Great in forum Thumpers,2-Stroke And Exotics
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-12-2017, 10:19 AM
  2. [Photo Feature]: Yamaha FZ 3 cylinder mufler unbalanced discharge!
    By asr_raw in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 09:57 AM
  3. New cylinder kit
    By skynet in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM
  4. cylinder rebore
    By maniac_0 in forum Thumpers,2-Stroke And Exotics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •