Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Castrol Power 1

Squeeze that brake, don’t grat a handful.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help for pre-ride to SADDLE SORE

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Help for pre-ride to SADDLE SORE

    Hi friends,

    I own a Tvs Apache 160r,

    Ever since i read about a rider completing his SaddleSore in his Apache, i longed to do it. My interest only compounded on reading various articles of riders completing their SaddleSore rides.

    Basically i'm from CHENNAI. My friends brother and I plan to do the SADDLESORE next february(Chennai-Salem-Chennai-Madurai-Chennai)

    As i do not have much experience in long rides, except for a 80km ride to temple and back every month, we are planning for a short 650 km ride from CHENNAI to TRICHY and back.

    As we do not have much experience in planning and executing such long rides, i need your views as to the "important things for the ride"

    We are planning for the 650km ride at the end of this month.

    Friends also please help me where to find the list of petrol pumps located in the route of the ride.

    Thanks in advance,
    Adithan.V.N.

  2. #2
    Moderator antz.bin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nasik / Pune
    Posts
    5,292
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thread Approved
    Advice is a form of nostalgia.
    Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

    Antz Travelz!! | South India Exploration Ride | Leh Triplog (Work in progress)

  3. #3
    Rusted aargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    KATN
    Posts
    10,268
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    Basically i'm from CHENNAI. My friends brother and I plan to do the SADDLESORE next february(Chennai-Salem-Chennai-Madurai-Chennai)
    This will hardly fetch you 1500 Km!!! Choose a better route

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    As i do not have much experience in long rides, except for a 80km ride to temple and back every month, we are planning for a short 650 km ride from CHENNAI to TRICHY and back
    In how many hours?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    As we do not have much experience in planning and executing such long rides, i need your views as to the "important things for the ride"
    Vehicle in good condition & strong will power

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    Friends also please help me where to find the list of petrol pumps located in the route of the ride
    Plenty, nothing to worry
    Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
    Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
    ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @aargee: thanks for the kind reply,

    I am planning to do the 650 km in less than 10.5 hours. Since it is my first long ride, i don't want to push more.

    I came to know there are many pumps in that route by reading many travelogues of saddlesore in this forum, but is there any way to know precisely where they are via the internet.

  5. #5
    Rusted aargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    KATN
    Posts
    10,268
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    I am planning to do the 650 km in less than 10.5 hours. Since it is my first long ride, i don't want to push more

    FYI - Average speed for SS1.6K is 77 Kmph exclusive of breaks or 69 Kmph inclusive of breaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    I came to know there are many pumps in that route by reading many travelogues of saddlesore in this forum, but is there any way to know precisely where they are via the internet.
    No

    There's nothing to worry, this is TN not Leh & Ladakh!!! There're so many fuel stations; from my experience...

    1. A2B/Ghar Dhaba BPCL at Ulundurpet, about 25-30 Km before Ulundurpet Toll enroute from Chennai
    2. Salem, Lorry owner's association IOL
    3. Madurai, plenty, but I'm not sure if you're getting into city. Even otherwise, there're plenty; tankful can get you back to Ulundurpet to the above said
    Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
    Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
    ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @aargee: thanks yaar, completed the pre-ride in 9hrs, but was not able to post updates due to many problems (mainly due to exams) ,

    Planning to do SS1600 on 22nd March 2013.
    Is Chennai - Madurai - Chennai - Salem - Salem a better option to make it OR any other good route is viable....

  7. #7
    Rusted Juris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    @aargee: thanks yaar, completed the pre-ride in 9hrs, but was not able to post updates due to many problems (mainly due to exams) ,

    Planning to do SS1600 on 22nd March 2013.
    Is Chennai - Madurai - Chennai - Salem - Salem a better option to make it OR any other good route is viable....
    Dude, please go through the rules and regulations of IBA rides before attempting it.
    Quote from IBA rules(SaddleSore 1600K, 2000K, 2500K)
    "We strongly discourage, and in some cases may reject, routes that are repetitive in nature. For example, we would not accept a claim that you rode five round-trips between Daytona Beach, Florida and Jacksonville, a distance of only 150 kilometers..."
    In short choose a route with non-repetitive places(say A-B or max A-B-A). The last thing you want to do is invest your time, money and effort and still not make it.

    Also, religiously go through entire rules and DON'T make any assumptions(general one being ATM receipt is a valid proof. ATM receipt is an add-on rather than the actual proof).

  8. #8
    Rusted aargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    KATN
    Posts
    10,268
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adithan View Post
    @aargee: thanks yaar, completed the pre-ride in 9hrs, but was not able to post updates due to many problems (mainly due to exams) ,
    Fantastic; quite surprising to know that you've 9+ hours to complete the pre ride, but not another 30 minutes to share you experience.
    Name:  smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif
Views: 534
Size:  1.1 KB to your attitude!!!

    Avoid, Chennai to Salem on account of road expansion from Vellore to Krishnagiri; IMO, you can do Chennai - Kanyakumari - Chennai that will easily fetch you 90% of the distance; for the remaining distance, you can opt for NH4 up to Vellore or so
    Last edited by aargee; 03-15-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
    Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
    ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @ aargee : Thanks for the valuable information, but is madurai to kanyamumari a good option, i was not able to get the road condition in that route...

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juris View Post
    Dude, please go through the rules and regulations of IBA rides before attempting it.
    Quote from IBA rules(SaddleSore 1600K, 2000K, 2500K)
    "We strongly discourage, and in some cases may reject, routes that are repetitive in nature. For example, we would not accept a claim that you rode five round-trips between Daytona Beach, Florida and Jacksonville, a distance of only 150 kilometers..."
    In short choose a route with non-repetitive places(say A-B or max A-B-A). The last thing you want to do is invest your time, money and effort and still not make it.

    Also, religiously go through entire rules and DON'T make any assumptions(general one being ATM receipt is a valid proof. ATM receipt is an add-on rather than the actual proof).
    thanks for the timely information,,,, will surely look into it

Similar Threads

  1. Saddle sore advice and help needed
    By experimentalhead in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 08-15-2018, 01:11 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-30-2014, 08:07 PM
  3. Quarter Saddle-Sore
    By Srivathsa in forum The Tourer
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 09:15 PM
  4. RE and Saddle Sore
    By avk84 in forum The Tourer
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •