Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Accelerate quick but brake easy.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Poll: Your favorite helmet Priced between 5000-13000 Rupees. (Officially sold in India)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1669 of 1669 FirstFirst ... 669116915691619165916651666166716681669
Results 16,681 to 16,688 of 16688
Like Tree3623Likes

Thread: Helmets

  1. #16681
    Ijs
    Ijs is offline
    Rusted Ijs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Delhi
    Posts
    1,387
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
    This question just hit me.
    Users of Sena/vnet and the like, which has the battery on the outside of the helmet.
    In case of a crash, how safe would the battery be? All of these use Lithium technology batteries and they are prone for fires if mishandled.
    Have you ever had a crash(god forbid) with something that has a battery on the outside of the helmet?
    What happened then?
    I'm building a DIY light setup for the helmet and using a li-ion battery and that's why this question.

    Now why I don't include action cameras here is, because they have these shockproof cases.



    Also, I'm trying to select a new helmet.
    I read a lot on the SMK twister and almost decided on it, but now am confused between 4 models:
    SMK twister
    SMK force/force steel
    MT thunder 3
    MT blade 2

    I can stretch my budget to 8k.

    My requirements are:
    Speaker pockets
    Internal sun visor
    Comfortable for touring (say 3-4 hours without removing the helmet)
    Mounting an action cam
    Either the d ring or the ratchet is okay.
    Also ECE certified is enough I feel. DoT/SHARP is an added bonus.
    The pinlock offered by SMK is VFM. But I dont mind spending another 1300-1500 for a pinlock insert to give it up for protection of my head.
    Graphics don't matter either.
    Please help me choose.
    Been breaking my head over this last few hours.
    I use an LS2 FF320. (As mentioned earlier)
    So would the SMK be a downgrade?
    Smk force is upper model than twister, both the mts are better than smk twister blade is good but i need pinlock 70 over the helmet as antifog. Smk comes fitted with pinlock 30.
    And ECE is any day better than DOT , dot is like isi it is a honor certification like a self certification following the guide lines. Ece is more stringent and sharp is also good and better than dot.
    Smk twister has some wind noise entering from left side particularly the are of the inner visor mechanism.

  2. #16682
    Rusted MidnightEvil Parth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Haldwani,Uttarakhand
    Posts
    1,004
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Helmets

    Availability of spares and better aftersales - SMK

    Better fit and finish - MT (very slightly), infact SMK Force has a beautiful carbon-like finish on inner plastics.

    Pinlock - Both support Pinlock 70, SMK comes with Pin30 pre-installed. (you need to buy a new visor for SMK to fit pin70)

    Safety - Both are ECE certified. There is no bonus in DOT and it's not needed either.

    Chinstrap - Both get a micrometric ratcheting buckle now. Older MT lids used to get a double D ring closure.

    Inner sunvisor - Best on SMK Force.

    Visor and padding prices - SMK is priced lesser, infact half or lesser, same for Pinlock sheet pricing, ratchets and so on.

    Availability of chin vent, top vents etc (important for a daily, long term user) - SMK sells these, MT doesn't.

    My advice - You can wait for SMK Titan if the purchase is not very urgent.

    Goodluck.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
    This question just hit me.
    Users of Sena/vnet and the like, which has the battery on the outside of the helmet.
    In case of a crash, how safe would the battery be? All of these use Lithium technology batteries and they are prone for fires if mishandled.
    Have you ever had a crash(god forbid) with something that has a battery on the outside of the helmet?
    What happened then?
    I'm building a DIY light setup for the helmet and using a li-ion battery and that's why this question.

    Now why I don't include action cameras here is, because they have these shockproof cases.



    Also, I'm trying to select a new helmet.
    I read a lot on the SMK twister and almost decided on it, but now am confused between 4 models:
    SMK twister
    SMK force/force steel
    MT thunder 3
    MT blade 2

    I can stretch my budget to 8k.

    My requirements are:
    Speaker pockets
    Internal sun visor
    Comfortable for touring (say 3-4 hours without removing the helmet)
    Mounting an action cam
    Either the d ring or the ratchet is okay.
    Also ECE certified is enough I feel. DoT/SHARP is an added bonus.
    The pinlock offered by SMK is VFM. But I dont mind spending another 1300-1500 for a pinlock insert to give it up for protection of my head.
    Graphics don't matter either.
    Please help me choose.
    Been breaking my head over this last few hours.
    I use an LS2 FF320. (As mentioned earlier)
    So would the SMK be a downgrade?
    Ijs likes this.

  3. #16683
    Rookie alphamike_1612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Helmets

    From both of your opinions, I have come to the following conclusions.
    MT if I want a lid immediately (which I don't)
    SMK titan if I can wait. (Which I am going to)

    However, do you know the timeline for its availability? (Has it released? SMK's Instagram page makes it look like it's released)

    Also most if not all SMK dealers in Chennai know only of SMK twister, one guy even asked me if there was something called SMK force. I don't know why.

    Also does anyone know where to find the manufacturing date on an LS2? I have been calculating it's its age since I bought it in 2017 and not from when it was manufactured. So I maybe wrong.

    Edit:
    To find the manufacturing date on a LS2:
    It can be found under the red mesh lining which itself is under the top padding of the helmet. To access it you have to remove the top padding and a part of the red mesh lining(be very careful) you can re stick the red mesh if you want to.
    Atleast this is how it is on my model (FF320)

    Thanks for your help guys.
    Last edited by alphamike_1612; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:18 AM.
    Ijs likes this.

  4. #16684
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Helmets

    Hey guys, what do you guys think of KYT helmets ?
    The graphics and the quality looks good. I was planning to get it from a friend who is coming from Malaysia. The graphics are quite fascinating and its also used in MotoGP/ Moto3 so a good judgement would be that the company is a reputed one making good quality helmets internationally.
    Not sure about what product line of KYT is sold in India.

  5. #16685
    Moderator B7ACKTHORN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    TN/TS Ooty/Telangana
    Posts
    8,127
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrix View Post
    Hey guys, what do you guys think of KYT helmets ?
    The graphics and the quality looks good. I was planning to get it from a friend who is coming from Malaysia. The graphics are quite fascinating and its also used in MotoGP/ Moto3 so a good judgement would be that the company is a reputed one making good quality helmets internationally.
    Not sure about what product line of KYT is sold in India.
    Good helmets. Are ECE certified and whatever helmets you buy from abroad, make sure you get two plain visors as stock. Visors can be pretty expensive when purchased individually.

    Rest assured, they're a good helmet, on par with HJC and the likes.

    Cheers!
    VJ
    Ijs likes this.
    Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?'
    The girl said, 'NO!'


    And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and watched sport on a big screen TV, went fishing and surfing, and played golf a lot, and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.


    THE END

  6. #16686
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Helmets

    Got the SMK Stellar from the brand store in Jayanagar for Rs 3500. Must say I'm getting to feel all good things said about this helmet..

  7. #16687
    Moderator B7ACKTHORN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    TN/TS Ooty/Telangana
    Posts
    8,127
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Post Re: Helmets

    Quote Originally Posted by arunsekhar1 View Post
    Got the SMK Stellar from the brand store in Jayanagar for Rs 3500. Must say I'm getting to feel all good things said about this helmet..
    SMK is a genuinely worth competitor and gives a run for most of the similar or higher priced helmets. Wind noise is negligible and fit and finish is excellent for a helmet of this budget. Hope you have the clear visor with the pinlock on.

    Cheers!
    VJ
    intr650 likes this.
    Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?'
    The girl said, 'NO!'


    And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and watched sport on a big screen TV, went fishing and surfing, and played golf a lot, and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.


    THE END

  8. #16688
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Helmets

    No i exchanged the clear visor for the mercury one as i seldom ride at night. Plus my office is 15 kms to the east and i ride towards the sun both morning and evening

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Compulsory Helmets: Boon Or Bane?
    By powerslave in forum News
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •