Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Castrol Power 1

Tubeless tyres are better than tubed ones.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Classic looks + reliable bike wanted: please help

  1. #31
    Rusted Pinaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calcutta
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by staid rider View Post
    being a HH driver for so many years, i have no doubt about the less worry more riding fun part. its the looks of the bike that i dont particularly like. i am on the lookout for a bike with few simple lines.
    Like you , I am using a splendor+ for daily commuting and also have an yamaha rx135 4-speed . I too love the classic simple naked bike looks , with single chrome round headlight . Am looking for larger displacement bike for longer traveling too . Looking long and hard there is simply nothing in the Indian markets that is classic in looks , reliable and powerful enough for highways at the same time . Somewhere between market trends and sense of bikers art (heart) and practicality , they all have lost it . For ardurous indian highway conditions/weather/dearth of service & spares ; reliability and engine displacement takes precedence over looks in my humble opinion . We have to make the right compromises to extract our purpose from whatever is available . So I am leaning towards ZMA-R/ZMR myself now , but I am also open to suggestions .

  2. #32
    Addicted C Oberoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singhada talav, Nashik
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think you can check Suzuki GSX 150R. Though, I don't think it meets your criteria when it comes to looks, however, the bike is indeed worth an effort and meets your other requirements.

  3. #33
    Rusted yamahatrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I feel that the CRUX will suit your requirement just fine. It s got the classic simple lines that you are looking for, the cost of ownership is relatively low compared to the RE Bullet! Comes with bullet proof YAMAHA relaibilty and build quality. Buy the Crux Buy the Crux.. Set a trend. .. BTW 2staid rider you really are thinking quite out of the box and well in your choice for a bike!
    "I set out running but I take my time, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine. If I get home before day light, just might get some sleep tonight" - The Grateful Dead.

    The Stable - 2009 Yamaha FZS (Baby Beast) & 2010 YAMAHA YZF R15 (Anjuna Sunset).

    Wishlist - Kawasaki Ninja 250r, YAMAHA R6 and Bullet standard 500 with the CI engine and a handpainted Goa Chic helmet.

    www.facebook.com/powerslave666

  4. #34
    Rookie staid rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ahmedabad
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinaki View Post
    Am looking for larger displacement bike for longer traveling too . Looking long and hard there is simply nothing in the Indian markets that is classic in looks , reliable and powerful enough for highways at the same time . Somewhere between market trends and sense of bikers art (heart) and practicality , they all have lost it . For ardurous indian highway conditions/weather/dearth of service & spares ; reliability and engine displacement takes precedence over looks in my humble opinion . We have to make the right compromises to extract our purpose from whatever is available
    you have explained my predicament extremely well! i want a reliable bike with naked looks with a high engine displacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by yamahatrooper View Post
    I feel that the CRUX will suit your requirement just fine. It s got the classic simple lines that you are looking for, the cost of ownership is relatively low compared to the RE Bullet! Comes with bullet proof YAMAHA relaibilty and build quality. Buy the Crux Buy the Crux.. Set a trend. .. BTW 2staid rider you really are thinking quite out of the box and well in your choice for a bike!
    i love yamaha, esp the looks of the rx100! lot of people find it strange that i put bikes like crux, cd100, avenger and RE in my list of probables. but all of them meet only 2 of my 3 criteria (durability and reliability, big engine, classic looks)
    enjoy the slowness

  5. #35
    Rookie staid rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ahmedabad
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    based on the last post, i thought i should make a list of choices based on my need for a reliable+durable bike with classic looks and high engine displacement-

    reliability+durability and classic looks only:
    Yamaha crux, staying with my rx100, HH CD deluxe

    reliability+durability and high engine displacement only:

    HH Karizma

    classic looks and high engine displacement only:
    RE bikes (-reliability), avenger (-durability)

    on another note, please bear with me. i don't want to rush into buying a bike on an impulse. i might take some time reaching my decision.
    enjoy the slowness

  6. #36
    Rusted kkrk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Hyderabad
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by staid rider View Post
    .....

    reliability+durability and high engine displacement only:

    HH Karizma
    .....
    Add
    reliability+durability and decent engine displacement only:
    Honda Unicorn, HH CBZ, HH Achiever, Suzuki GS150R.

    reliability+durability and high decent displacement + Classic look:
    A cosmetically modded unicorn:

    Attachment 38189
    Attachment 38190

    It was my friend's unicorn. He too wanted a retro looking reliable bike.
    You can read more on:
    Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9) - Team-BHP


    EDIT:
    You can think about a similar modification to almost all the faired bikes, including a karizma!!!
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast, Cheap and Fast is not Reliable, Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

  7. #37
    Rusted Pinaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calcutta
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by staid rider View Post
    based on the last post, i thought i should make a list of choices based on my need for a reliable+durable bike with classic looks and high engine displacement-

    reliability+durability and classic looks only:
    Yamaha crux, staying with my rx100, HH CD deluxe
    reliability+durability and high engine displacement only:
    HH Karizma
    classic looks and high engine displacement only:
    RE bikes (-reliability), avenger (-durability)
    on another note, please bear with me. i don't want to rush into buying a bike on an impulse. i might take some time reaching my decision.
    The crux is a great light & strong no frills bike for scooting around city (I had one for 6 yrs, i.e the one in my profile pic), great torque and at least mine was extremely reliable at all times and weather . Not suitable for long travel with luggage or pillion .The CD100/deluxe again is same engine as splendor , low torque and pickup ,good for city scooting only.
    If you want to travel and not just look at your bike , forget the RE's . read this Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review - Team-BHP
    Avenger has problem with durability over the years , fuel efficiency , noisy engine , vibrations and dearth of spares . Plus I don't like open chains and cast wheels on any touring bike .
    I think you know what it leads me to ...
    And yes , take all your time before you buy .
    Last edited by Pinaki; 02-17-2011 at 03:36 AM.

  8. #38
    Rusted rameshmadhavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
    Posts
    852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Check out Unicorn, that would be a better bet...also check out on Karizma ZMR...that would suffice your touring and the city rides
    Never Give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

    Cheers
    Ramesh Madhavan

  9. #39
    Rusted aargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    KATN
    Posts
    10,268
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Adding my 2 cents of thoughts...

    Whatever modified, nothing beats the looks of real retros. To my knowledge, these are the only ones being sold till date. So save up...
    Ducati GT1000


    Triumph Bonneville


    Unfortunately, both of them are expensive, but fortunately, the first one is sold in India , so...save up
    Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
    Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
    ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

  10. #40
    Rookie staid rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ahmedabad
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aargee View Post
    Adding my 2 cents of thoughts...

    Whatever modified, nothing beats the looks of real retros. To my knowledge, these are the only ones being sold till date. So save up...Unfortunately, both of them are expensive, but fortunately, the first one is sold in India , so...save up
    ya right! mere saving up in my case wont allow me to buy these bikes. i agree to your bit about modification. there is only so much that one can modify in a bike. some things like the sweep of lines and the stance of a bike are difficult to change.
    enjoy the slowness

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted : Dirt Bike
    By Madi in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-28-2016, 04:02 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
  3. Need Reliable mech in chennai for P180 UG3
    By vijaycool in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
  4. Help wanted to get rid of rust in my bike
    By jovara in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM
  5. [Help]: Contact needed for reliable importer.
    By diffuser911 in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •