Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Squeeze that brake, don’t grat a handful.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Which bike for me?

  1. #1
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which bike for me?

    Hi guys,

    I've been owning a Unicorn 2010 model (black). Due to its heavy weight and me riding daily around 50+ kms up and down to office gave me a scare to me in the form of slip disc. well as i'm still recovering from the almost slip disc kind of situation i've come to a decision of changing my bike to a lighter, fuel efficient, maintenance free bike which i'll be holding to it for atleast 6 - 8 years range.

    Please help me on selecting a new bike with exchange to this bike. also if someone points to a good exchange offer for my present bike it would be of great help.

    Thanks,
    Ramki

  2. #2
    Moderator antz.bin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nasik / Pune
    Posts
    5,292
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thread Approved

    A Unicorn is one of the most comfortable bikes currently sold in the country. If riding a Unicorn for 1300-1500 km/month gave you Slip Disc, then I am afraid its your riding position / daily commute route that needs changing, not the bike.

    Please go through the article described in the following post and see what all you have not been following daily. It will surely help you in the long run.

    Quote Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
    Bike India August 2009
    Go directly to Page #34 on the E-Mag. "Hero Honda Ride Safe".
    Even after going though the above link, if you do wish to change your bike, please go for the Hero Impulse and nothing else. Nothing else will be able to take care of your back like that bike.

    P.S.: I am only trying to help. Try not to get offended.
    Advice is a form of nostalgia.
    Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

    Antz Travelz!! | South India Exploration Ride | Leh Triplog (Work in progress)

  3. #3
    Rusted princesirohi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pune -- Mumbai
    Posts
    8,262
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread should be in "what bike" section.

  4. #4
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
    Thread Approved

    A Unicorn is one of the most comfortable bikes currently sold in the country. If riding a Unicorn for 1300-1500 km/month gave you Slip Disc, then I am afraid its your riding position / daily commute route that needs changing, not the bike.

    Please go through the article described in the following post and see what all you have not been following daily. It will surely help you in the long run.



    Even after going though the above link, if you do wish to change your bike, please go for the Hero Impulse and nothing else. Nothing else will be able to take care of your back like that bike.

    P.S.: I am only trying to help. Try not to get offended.
    antz,

    thanks for the reply.
    I'm sure that riding a Unicorn bike doesn't/haven't caused me slip disc.
    However, pushing the bike in an inclined surface is very difficult as its very heavy for me. I do push the bike often from my inside of home to outside which is at an inclination at 2.5 feet. I feel stress around my back shoulder and it is the same place where it started paining too much. Hence, the discomfort.

    Thereby, i'm need of a light vehicle yet durable, maintainence free so that even pushing it won't hurt much. Please suggest.

    PS: My brother owns a splendor and riding/pushing it seems very light to me. although i won't go for the same one.

    thanks,
    Ramki

  5. #5
    Rusted IronHide Shetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Thane, Mumbai
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Honda shine (125cc) - 121 Kg
    Honda Dazzler (150cc) -138 Kg
    Honda Stunner (125cc) - 128 Kg
    Discover 125 ST (125cc) - 125 Kg
    Apache 160 (160cc) - 137 Kg
    Suzuki GS 150R - 149 Kg

    if you need more details, PM me ur email id. I have a excel sheet prepared for myself regarding all the bikes and the specifications.
    Ride Safe
    Vrooom Vroooom

  6. #6
    somen1984
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
    Hi guys,

    I've been owning a Unicorn 2010 model (black). Due to its heavy weight and me riding daily around 50+ kms up and down to office gave me a scare to me in the form of slip disc. well as i'm still recovering from the almost slip disc kind of situation i've come to a decision of changing my bike to a lighter, fuel efficient, maintenance free bike which i'll be holding to it for atleast 6 - 8 years range.

    Please help me on selecting a new bike with exchange to this bike. also if someone points to a good exchange offer for my present bike it would be of great help.

    Thanks,
    Ramki
    Sensibly i am thinking how come a person get a slip disc by riding a UNICORN?? This is one of the best 150cc comfortable commuter people prefer!!
    Frankly speaking I don't understand how does people feel a bike heavy?? Where as if a bike is in motion even in 5-10kmph it's not a problem to control. Yes if you are thinking of controlling it while standing then it will be a problem.

    There is one of my friend hardly weighs 55kg height 5.4" and rides a STD RE...ROFL!!! from past so many years!!

    Are you really feeling it heavy or thinking on fuel efficient bike?? Because i don't think a person with slip disc would enjoy any 100-125cc bike, because none of this segments gives good ride comfort!!

    If really you are more concern on slip disc then go with TBTS, hitting your fuel point.

    Else heard Impulse too is one of the comfortable bike, but again average would be hit.

    Mind one thing 50kms daily is not a short distance and with your back problem any non tourer or cruiser would give you a problem.

    Light and Comfortable are two different thing in bikes, i guess you know that and asking us the solution.

    Now Average bikes are Shine/D125ST/ Discover100/Passion/Hayate/Slingshot.etc..

    But still i would say go buy comfortable then average bikes!! TBTS or Impulse

  7. #7
    Rusted muztariq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Delhi_Hyderabad
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
    antz,

    thanks for the reply.
    I'm sure that riding a Unicorn bike doesn't/haven't caused me slip disc.
    However, pushing the bike in an inclined surface is very difficult as its very heavy for me. I do push the bike often from my inside of home to outside which is at an inclination at 2.5 feet. I feel stress around my back shoulder and it is the same place where it started paining too much. Hence, the discomfort.

    Thereby, i'm need of a light vehicle yet durable, maintainence free so that even pushing it won't hurt much. Please suggest.

    PS: My brother owns a splendor and riding/pushing it seems very light to me. although i won't go for the same one.

    thanks,
    Ramki
    Well, why dont you try pushing with engine 'on' in first gear.. I let the bike take care of itself in these situations, punctures etc.
    Will save you exchange bargain. And you will still keep the best comfortable bike in its segment.
    The money you save will cater to the extra fuel you burn in comparison to a 125 cc for 1-2 year. Didnt calculate just a guess.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think its already hammered you badly,talk to doctor's, 125cc Bikes comes with more than +125Kg Weight. its also not an easy weight for tackle with Injury. You already injured yourself badly,think twice before selling Unicorn.I never drive Unicorn but my uncle have one,he always said "Unicorn drivers never like to drive any other bike,because there is no bike in 150cc commuter segment can provide the comfort of unicorn."

  9. #9
    MHG
    MHG is offline
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd say first start using proper practice for pushing the bike - i.e, keep bike in 1st gear and with clutch (if necessary) push it so you avoid strain to yourself. Then go for a bike with tubeless tyres simply because much lesser chance of having to push a bike in the first place. You may keep the unicorn itself after changing to tubeless if you ask me, and its the best solution. As they say, attack the root of the problem first.

    But if the damage is done, speak to your physiotherapist immediately. You may have to drive a car for sometime till the back feels better or whatever your physiotherapist advises you. You could look at getting a sedately driven car that has a soft and back-friendly suspension setup then. Health comes first.
    Currently without a vehicle. Uber App and Bangalore Metro serving all my travel needs.

  10. #10
    Rookie been there's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey Ramki, can you get pic of the incline/steps/gate that you have to push through every day?

    what's your budget for the new one, by the way?
    CB Twister Yellow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •