Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Castrol Power 1

Check the helmet from inside.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

  1. #1
    Addicted KID MONK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kochi
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    I need help on finalizing between Yamaha R15 and KTM duke 200 .im 5 foot 7inches and weight around 60 kilos and im a student so the bike must not have high maintenance costs and FE is a concern also spare parts must be easily obtainable as well as me being a first timer to motorcycles (im currently using an 2007 activa) .i might go for long rides once a month other than that im gonna be riding in the city and also Kollam doesn't have much traffic as Kochi 😃😊😇 . P.S NO HONDA products please Il be making the purchase around January to February and so if there is any upcoming bike that suits me please suggest. Thank you in advance 😁

  2. #2
    Moderator The Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gurgaon/ Kanpur
    Posts
    10,019
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Query Approved

    Being a first timer and a student - It is far cheaper to crash a naked than a faired motorcycle
    Biking is not about what you have between your legs, its all about how well you use it!!!!!!!

    Give your details here if you want to help your fellow xBhpian stranded in your city

    Touring Blog: Cycling in Mongolia!

  3. #3
    Addicted KID MONK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kochi
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Quote Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
    Query Approved

    Being a first timer and a student - It is far cheaper to crash a naked than a faired motorcycle

    Haha got it but are the fairings of r15 cheaper than the duke 200's tank. I don't want to end up with high service and maintenance costs 😞
    Last edited by KID MONK; 12-03-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    TVSian likes this.

  4. #4
    TVS Racing FTW ! TVSian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Virugambakkam,Chennai
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Well Mr.Kid monk,I would go with the Duke 200 for Extra Performance and Absence of Fairing and also Hooligan looks

    As you say You need Mileage and Lesser Maintainence,I don't think both of these fit in your Requirements

    There is a Good Bike out there that is Cheaper than these 2 and also Outperforming R15 with More Mileage and Lesser Maintainence and Ofcourse Performance and Safety

    It is just a Shade below the Duke 200 but is much more Cheaper and Safer with ABS

    Yup,You guessed it right,The TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS

    The reason I am suggesting the TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS is

    1) It is much more cheaper than the Duke 200,R15
    2) Beats the R15 very easily in both Traffic and Highways
    3) It has only 10% lesser Performance than the Duke 200 but is priced 30% Lower (Has no Flaws like Cut-Rims or Over-heating Engine like Duke especially at the City)
    4) Awesome Handling
    5) Many Born-in-the-race-track Features - 0-60 Timer,Top-Speed Recorder,5-4-3-2-1 GO Timer,Analogue RPM and Digi Speedo,ABS and Rear-wheel-Lift Protection
    6) ABS - A Life-saving Feauture,Prevents wheel locking hence Fater getaways after a turn
    7) Beautiful Exhaust Engine Note (Like a Mini RE) that loves to be revved up hard !
    8) Has got better Mileage in City and Highways (Expect more than 40 Kmpl even if driven Hard)
    9) Has cheaper Maintainence and Cheaper Spares (Fun with low Costs is definitely 1 Stone,2 Mangoes !)
    10) Wide TVS A.S.S and many Trouble-free Ownership (Fiero Engine-Tested and Proven on the Race-Track)
    11) Finally no Fairing so very easy to handle in City traffic

    The biggest problem is the NVH levels.It is not as that refined as the Duke 200 or the R15 but is a huge improvement over the Old one and another problem is Your Height.You can TD the Bike and Decide.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Dani Pedrosa #26 Fan hgps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gorakhpur/Lucknow
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Quote Originally Posted by TVSian View Post

    2) Beats the R15 very easily in both Traffic and Highways
    3) It has only 10% lesser Performance than the Duke 200 but is priced 30% Lower (Has no Flaws like Cut-Rims or Over-heating Engine like Duke especially at the City)
    4) Awesome HandlingThanks
    I hope you are joking. Difference between 17bhp and 25bhp isnt 10% mate. R15 is better than 180 on the highways.

    I would suggest OP should go for duke. Maintenance costs are not that high.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Arvind Sibi likes this.
    There is no destination, I just want to keep riding.

    Honda CBR 650F / CBR 250R ABS Repsol (Sold) / Yamaha FZ-S

  6. #6
    Addicted KID MONK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kochi
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Im in love with the r15 but lust for the duke 200 😉 but since price is a concern Il most likely be inclined to the r15 and since duke is 200cc and me being a beginner will it be difficult to control it ???😞

  7. #7
    Rusted Abishek94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    bangalore
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Quote Originally Posted by TVSian View Post
    Well Mr.Kid monk,I would go with the Duke 200 for Extra Performance and Absence of Fairing and also Hooligan looks

    As you say You need Mileage and Lesser Maintainence,I don't think both of these fit in your Requirements

    There is a Good Bike out there that is Cheaper than these 2 and also Outperforming R15 with More Mileage and Lesser Maintainence and Ofcourse Performance and Safety

    It is just a Shade below the Duke 200 but is much more Cheaper and Safer with ABS

    Yup,You guessed it right,The TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS

    The reason I am suggesting the TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS is

    1) It is much more cheaper than the Duke 200,R15
    2) Beats the R15 very easily in both Traffic and Highways
    3) It has only 10% lesser Performance than the Duke 200 but is priced 30% Lower (Has no Flaws like Cut-Rims or Over-heating Engine like Duke especially at the City)
    4) Awesome Handling
    5) Many Born-in-the-race-track Features - 0-60 Timer,Top-Speed Recorder,5-4-3-2-1 GO Timer,Analogue RPM and Digi Speedo,ABS and Rear-wheel-Lift Protection
    6) ABS - A Life-saving Feauture,Prevents wheel locking hence Fater getaways after a turn
    7) Beautiful Exhaust Engine Note (Like a Mini RE) that loves to be revved up hard !
    8) Has got better Mileage in City and Highways (Expect more than 40 Kmpl even if driven Hard)
    9) Has cheaper Maintainence and Cheaper Spares (Fun with low Costs is definitely 1 Stone,2 Mangoes !)
    10) Wide TVS A.S.S and many Trouble-free Ownership (Fiero Engine-Tested and Proven on the Race-Track)
    11) Finally no Fairing so very easy to handle in City traffic

    The biggest problem is the NVH levels.It is not as that refined as the Duke 200 or the R15 but is a huge improvement over the Old one and another problem is Your Height.You can TD the Bike and Decide.

    Thanks
    To the TS: Go for the duke. Though r15 is a really good bike but after a while you will crave for more power and the duke will keep you satisfied for longer.

    Now Mr. 'TVSian' ,
    Please read the below points and enlighten yourself. It is in the same order as the points made by you.
    1) duke and r15 are more expensive as they are fuel injected and one has lots of power and the other has a fairing+ very good quality.
    2) rtr 180 does not beat r15 on highways
    3) to be precise duke has 47% more power than rtr 180. Every bike has its own flaws and good points as well.
    4) agreed.
    5) what is a '5-4-3-2-1 GO timer'? And how is it useful? Please enlighten me.
    6) agreed.
    7) RE is a different category of exhaust note. Still, partially agreed.
    8) No, cannot expect more than 40 when ridden 'hard'
    9) compared to the above two bikes, yes.
    10) wide TVS a.s.s network filled with useless mechs. ( which is the case with almost all companies)
    11) debatable as a general topic.
    From here on, please make sure you do not mislead people.
    P.S - all this is coming from a rtr 180 owner.

  8. #8
    Addicted prathappa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Quote Originally Posted by KID MONK View Post
    Im in love with the r15 but lust for the duke 200  but since price is a concern Il most likely be inclined to the r15 and since duke is 200cc and me being a beginner will it be difficult to control it ???
    If I was you I would have gone with Duke for the performance.

    There's around 20k price difference between Duke and R15. If you can manage that, Duke is yours.

    Ride the bike slowly for few days and you will be able to control it easily.
    ~Accelerate Fast ! Brake Faster~

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    Bro go for duke 200
    You feel the good power as you twist the throttle
    but the maintainance of both the bikes are quite high

  10. #10
    Rusted anarchy911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Yamaha R15 or KTM duke 200

    See, both the bikes are brilliant. Take test rides and choose the one which connects to you. But IMHO, first try pulsars or apaches. As this would be your first bike, get a feel of riding and proper braking and other stuff. As r15 and dukes are more performance oriented, newbies might feel out of place on them. I did the same, bought a pulsar 180 last year and i am still learning how to ride, as i keep on making one mistake or another.

    Rest is your opinion and thoughts. R15 is more track oriented and duke is more of a street bike. Though both are equally good handlers. Duke is more comfortable than yamaha.

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using xBhp Connect mobile app

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. KTM Duke 200 or Yamaha R15?
    By Vijay Murugan in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
  2. [Photo Feature]: Yamaha fz 16 into duke 390 frontal looks
    By Yash123Naik in forum General Biking Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 10:13 PM
  3. Help me choose between Duke 200 and Yamaha R14
    By shaheen in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 12:42 PM
  4. ktm duke 200 or yamaha r15 v2
    By sandeep raj in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 12:09 AM
  5. Yamaha YZF R15 V2.0 OR the new KTM Duke 200 !!!!!
    By blitzkreig809 in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 01:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •