Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Castrol Power 1

The slower the vehicle, the quicker it can turn.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By The Monk
  • 1 Post By gan
  • 2 Post By prajnyan
  • 1 Post By rugved

Thread: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

  1. #1
    Rookie Shaurya7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bangalore, Karnataka
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Icon7 First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    One of my friends is in the market for a new bike, and is quite confused about what to buy. He finds the FZ sexy, but I've been trying to drive him to a Gixxer.

    So here's the info:
    1. Budget (on road) : Rs 80K (can stretch to 90-95K for a killer deal)
    2. Age : 23
    3. Height : 5'9"
    4. Weight : ~ 65kg
    5. Usage : Office commutes and city rides, rare highway tours
    6. Fuel avg: 45+
    7. City & Highway % usage : 80:20
    8. Monthly running : ~ 500km
    9. City of residence : Whitefield BANGALORE
    10. Brand/type preference : Pretty open. Nakeds > faired (but Gixxer SF ++).

    His office mates are pushing him towards the Avenger, but he's not quite fond of it.


    CURRENT CONTENDERS

    Yamaha FZ (S/16) : (+) looks (-) performance
    Suzuki Gixxer : (+) looks
    TVS Apache RTR 180 : (+) performance (-) looks
    Pulsar AS150 : (+) performance (-) wish it were an NS


    • Looks are important for him, so he'd probably not go for a Honda Unicorn, unless he feels convinced it's that much better than what the competition has to offer.
    • Other than that he'd also like a bike that has a sorted ride and handling, that is stable enough to handle the countless potholes in this hellhole called Whitefield.
    • Are we missing out on any good option?
    • ALSO, is there any other new bike launching in the next 2-3 months, since he doesn't mind waiting a little bit for something that might be worth it. (Honda CB Hornet 160R?)



  2. #2
    Moderator The Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gurgaon/ Kanpur
    Posts
    10,019
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    Query Approved

    The Hornet is being launched next month. You cannot go wrong with the Gixxer or the FZ. If he is willing to stretch his budget a bit (not sure of prices in Bangalore) the AS200. Though he would probably be better off with the first two.
    hgps likes this.
    Biking is not about what you have between your legs, its all about how well you use it!!!!!!!

    Give your details here if you want to help your fellow xBhpian stranded in your city

    Touring Blog: Cycling in Mongolia!

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaurya7 View Post
    One of my friends is in the market for a new bike, and is quite confused about what to buy. He finds the FZ sexy, but I've been trying to drive him to a Gixxer.

    So here's the info:
    1. Budget (on road) : Rs 80K (can stretch to 90-95K for a killer deal)
    2. Age : 23
    3. Height : 5'9"
    4. Weight : ~ 65kg
    5. Usage : Office commutes and city rides, rare highway tours
    6. Fuel avg: 45+
    7. City & Highway % usage : 80:20
    8. Monthly running : ~ 500km
    9. City of residence : Whitefield BANGALORE
    10. Brand/type preference : Pretty open. Nakeds > faired (but Gixxer SF ++).

    His office mates are pushing him towards the Avenger, but he's not quite fond of it.


    CURRENT CONTENDERS

    Yamaha FZ (S/16) : (+) looks (-) performance
    Suzuki Gixxer : (+) looks
    TVS Apache RTR 180 : (+) performance (-) looks
    Pulsar AS150 : (+) performance (-) wish it were an NS


    • Looks are important for him, so he'd probably not go for a Honda Unicorn, unless he feels convinced it's that much better than what the competition has to offer.
    • Other than that he'd also like a bike that has a sorted ride and handling, that is stable enough to handle the countless potholes in this hellhole called Whitefield.
    • Are we missing out on any good option?
    • ALSO, is there any other new bike launching in the next 2-3 months, since he doesn't mind waiting a little bit for something that might be worth it. (Honda CB Hornet 160R?)


    Since looks are important to him, I think he must consider the Avenger Street 220 (or the 150 if he is really tight on budget).
    Although it cannot compete the Gixxer or FSZ in city riding, still, the shorter and flatter handlebars has made it much easier than before to navigate in city traffic.

    I took a test ride of it last weekend and have become a fan of the bike since then !!
    The only point it falls short of is in the fuel economy. AFAIK, it will only give a mileage of 35-40 kmpl.

  4. #4
    Rookie Shaurya7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bangalore, Karnataka
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    @AS200 and Avenger 220: I'd much rather try to recommend something within his budget so that there's some cash left for armour, which at the moment, he doesn't feel quite strongly about.

    A few particular questions:

    1. How big is the gap between the Gixxer and the FZ in terms of performance and ride and handling?

    2. The Apache 180: on paper it seems much more powerful than either of the two and maybe better VFM, what about NVH? I read on some threads here that noise and vibration is a big issue on it. What about handling and stability

    3. Then the Pulsar AS150: Why is this bike nowhere in the picture as opposed to the Gixxer and the FZ in most threads (I see people deciding between the latter two invariably)? How does this compare to the two on most fronts?

    4. Finally RELIABILITY AND COST OF OWNERSHIP: what's the pecking order here?

    >> I'll talk to him about checking out the Avenger, I don't want to just wash his opinions with my liking of Duke-like bikes.
    Last edited by Shaurya7; 11-25-2015 at 02:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaurya7 View Post
    @AS200 and Avenger 220: I'd much rather try to recommend something within his budget so that there's some cash left for armour, which at the moment, he doesn't feel quite strongly about.
    Avenger 220 costs Rs. 100400/- in Bangalore. The 150 street should cost around 10k lesser than that.

  6. #6
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    This is a tough one
    Posts
    752
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaurya7 View Post
    @AS200 and Avenger 220: I'd much rather try to recommend something within his budget so that there's some cash left for armour, which at the moment, he doesn't feel quite strongly about. For a proper set of entry level Riding gear, you need atleast 10k. (Mine was 15k, 3350 for DOT certified Helmet, 3k for Gloves, 6k for jacket, 3k for shin guard; this can be skipped if budget is tight, and a pair of balaclava 200 each to prevent the sweat and oil from staining the helmet paddings)

    A few particular questions:

    1. How big is the gap between the Gixxer and the FZ in terms of performance and ride and handling? Not big, both are great. Performance wise Gixxer is slightly better than FZ but FZ is more refined

    2. The Apache 180: on paper it seems much more powerful than either of the two and maybe better VFM, what about NVH? I read on some threads here that noise and vibration is a big issue on it. What about handling and stability. Its a great bike too but if given the option, its better to opt for the Japanese bikes

    3. Then the Pulsar AS150: Why is this bike nowhere in the picture as opposed to the Gixxer and the FZ in most threads (I see people deciding between the latter two invariably)? How does this compare to the two on most fronts? Nothings wrong with the AS150, its a great bike too, its just that when it comes to the engines used in Pulsars, they are short lived in terms of reliability

    4. Finally RELIABILITY AND COST OF OWNERSHIP: what's the pecking order here? Consider the point above and with FZ and Gixxer you can stay tension free. You can go through the Ownership threads for the bikes mentioned above to see the various experiences

    >> I'll talk to him about checking out the Avenger, I don't want to just wash his opinions with my liking of Duke-like bikes.
    Answers in bold, cheers

  7. #7
    gan
    gan is offline
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tamilnadu
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    It may seem little off topic, but since you guys are talking about armour thought of asking this...

    Is this practical to wear those armour every time you ride a bike, say when going to office, running for groceries, picking/dropping your wife/kid. I have been in this assumption that those armour things are for those who do long rides, professional racers, bike reviewers, test riders...
    Vinod26 likes this.

  8. #8
    Rusted prajnyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bengaluru
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    The FZ soaks up pot holes better than gixxer, and pillion ride on an FZ is more comfortable than Gixxer.

    Quote Originally Posted by gan View Post
    It may seem little off topic, but since you guys are talking about armour thought of asking this...

    Is this practical to wear those armour every time you ride a bike, say when going to office, running for groceries, picking/dropping your wife/kid. I have been in this assumption that those armour things are for those who do long rides, professional racers, bike reviewers, test riders...
    Simple answer : YES
    Reason: Imagine you don't wear anything, going down to buy something from the grocery at about 30-40kmph, and a dog just jumps in front and you fall. Having a basic helmet saves your head, however you would definitely be left with bruises at the very least, and maybe minor fracture to your wrist or so. Now if you wore a proper riding gear, you would be invincible to such falls. Hope you get the picture how the gear helps someone when then fall at high speeds, it improves chance of survival.

    At the very least, it is suggested to wear a good full face helmet, gloves, and any thick jacket and clothing when you ride the bike in city.
    rugved and gan like this.
    There are no short-cuts to any place worth going. So ride safe when you are treading uncharted roads.

  9. #9
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dombivli/HYD/Pume
    Posts
    385
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: First bike for 23 year old (80K)

    Quote Originally Posted by gan View Post
    Is this practical to wear those armour every time you ride a bike, say when going to office, running for groceries, picking/dropping your wife/kid. I have been in this assumption that those armour things are for those who do long rides, professional racers, bike reviewers, test riders...
    You'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    that being said, i agree with Prajnyan, that for shorter Grocery and Pick n Drop Runs, and armour may sound a bit too much, but always make a point to wear Boots, Jeans and a Jacket (that can withstand some elemental road abuse) and Ofcourse Helmet and Riding Gloves (they have stiff fibre/plastic patch exactly where the mound of your palms will hit in case of a fall)
    gan likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Bike of the year 2014
    By papillon2 in forum General Biking Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2014, 10:51 PM
  2. 22 year old guy wit 16 year old bike
    By aanandh in forum Who Are You?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM
  4. Bike of the Year CBR 250 by Overdrive
    By veryhiphop in forum News
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
  5. Bike of the Year 2010
    By anmol_1990 in forum General Biking Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 02:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •