Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Castrol Power 1

Scan – see – think – act.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

  1. #1
    Punter paradoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    I was not at all planning to buy a new bike, forget a SBK. This all changed with an impromptu visit to a Triumph dealership.
    I had always been a fan of the Z800, but seeing the Street Triple in flesh I instantly fell in love with it. One test ride later I was mentally calculating how to muster up funds to get my hands on one.
    But buying a Triumph meant going with a company that mislead and cheated its customers. Also, as I started researching forums and came to know about stalling issues on the bike.
    The Z800 on the other hand is a reliable name with hardly any issues faced by the owners. But the weight of the bike will hamper its usage in city.
    So now I'm in a big dilemma between my heart and my head.

    Details about self
    Age: 25
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 65kg
    Usage( Highway/City): 60/40
    Current bike: Thunderbird 500

    Would be grateful for inputs from the forum members and owners.

  2. #2
    Moderator The Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gurgaon/ Kanpur
    Posts
    10,019
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Query Approved
    Biking is not about what you have between your legs, its all about how well you use it!!!!!!!

    Give your details here if you want to help your fellow xBhpian stranded in your city

    Touring Blog: Cycling in Mongolia!

  3. #3
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    This is a tough one
    Posts
    752
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxx View Post
    I was not at all planning to buy a new bike, forget a SBK. This all changed with an impromptu visit to a Triumph dealership.
    I had always been a fan of the Z800, but seeing the Street Triple in flesh I instantly fell in love with it. One test ride later I was mentally calculating how to muster up funds to get my hands on one.
    But buying a Triumph meant going with a company that mislead and cheated its customers. Also, as I started researching forums and came to know about stalling issues on the bike.
    The Z800 on the other hand is a reliable name with hardly any issues faced by the owners. But the weight of the bike will hamper its usage in city.
    So now I'm in a big dilemma between my heart and my head.
    You will get habituated to the weight of the Z800. Z800 is a better choice imo.

    Question: Did you test ride teh Z800?
    Last edited by RoyalIndian; 01-16-2016 at 07:03 PM.

  4. #4
    Punter paradoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalIndian View Post
    You will get habituated to the weight of the Z800. Z800 is a better choice imo.

    Question: Did you test ride teh Z800?
    I have "tested" the Z800 (the bajaj guys in Pune only let you go around their complex once, couldn't even go higher than the first gear. Have talked to them about a longer test ride in one of their events on weekends)
    But the bulkiness of Z800 makes me apprehensive about the rideability in the city, plus it has a humongous turning radius.

  5. #5
    Rusted akshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Pune, Maharashtra, India.
    Posts
    993
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Go for the Z800. Ultimately a 4 is a 4 with a good price point. Since you are upgrading from a RE500 which I can imagine is not the most traffic friendly bike, it arguably leaves little concern between the triple and 800 as to which would score better in this respect. Generally, the Jap bikes are more linear in throttle response which I think would aid you by not throwing up any surprises whilst negotiating city traffic but frankly your decision should focus on the 40% touring or highway rides.
    Ride To Live

  6. #6
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Chennai- Bangalore
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxx View Post
    I have "tested" the Z800 (the bajaj guys in Pune only let you go around their complex once, couldn't even go higher than the first gear. Have talked to them about a longer test ride in one of their events on weekends)
    But the bulkiness of Z800 makes me apprehensive about the rideability in the city, plus it has a humongous turning radius.
    Frankly I didn't feel the bike was heavy atall... In terms of egronomics its amazingly comfortable. You might feel the weight while making an U turn but not otherwise.
    To be honest with the straight handlebar in the Z800, most people complain about the weight cos of improper saddle positioning (its a habit to be broken)- like you need to lean forward into your seats, use your knees by resting them on the tank instead of your shoulders and wrist ofr support. (remember- Handlebars are control units, not shoulder and wrist support bars) and importantly learning to countersteer instead of turning the bike.

    The triple and z800 though considered "Naked" are 2 different sets of machines-
    The Z800 is a canyon carver while the triple is a stunt machine
    For city rides and long travel the triple with its upright position will make it more comfortable while being in saddle for a long time
    Z800 as a machine designed for point to point riding is fantastic and can be considered flawless, however has its 2 major cons while thinking about touring-

    1. You can't have a pillion sit comfortably (even with after market linings the seat is just too small)
    2. Long distance with pillion is ruled out
    3. You can have a top bag but not side saddle's mounted on z800

    The biggest pro is availability of spares and service centers all over India...

    Now with the Triumph, the major cons I see are-
    1. A 675 with de-tuned engine isn't worth the premium they are asking for.. Me I wouldn't pay over 7L for that vehicle
    2. The de-tuned engine gives problems in city... has almost everyone complaining about engine stalling and cold start issues
    3. Limited service network

    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

    If budget isn't a issue why dont you look at the Ducati monster 821 ? Just costs about 1 l more

  7. #7
    Punter paradoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    @akshay @teezam
    I know all logic says Z800 but the heart says Triple. I knows its costlier, has lesser power and its fair share of problems. Maybe I haven't had a proper test ride of the Z800, that's why I'm leaning more towards the Triple.
    And all the facts are making me even more confused!
    The pillion seat is not an issue.
    Plus I talked to a couple of Street owners, they said that the stalling is an issue but the servicing part of Triumph is pretty good, which Kawasaki lacks in.
    Ducati, I just don't feel the connect. Plus unavailability of the brand is also an issue in terms of service.
    teezam likes this.

  8. #8
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Chennai- Bangalore
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxx View Post
    @akshay @teezam
    I know all logic says Z800 but the heart says Triple. I knows its costlier, has lesser power and its fair share of problems. Maybe I haven't had a proper test ride of the Z800, that's why I'm leaning more towards the Triple.
    And all the facts are making me even more confused!
    The pillion seat is not an issue.
    Plus I talked to a couple of Street owners, they said that the stalling is an issue but the servicing part of Triumph is pretty good, which Kawasaki lacks in.
    Ducati, I just don't feel the connect. Plus unavailability of the brand is also an issue in terms of service.
    Simple, go with your heart then. Heart wants what the heart wants !!!
    paradoxx likes this.

  9. #9
    Rusted Deathwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxx View Post
    I was not at all planning to buy a new bike, forget a SBK. This all changed with an impromptu visit to a Triumph dealership.
    I had always been a fan of the Z800, but seeing the Street Triple in flesh I instantly fell in love with it. One test ride later I was mentally calculating how to muster up funds to get my hands on one.
    But buying a Triumph meant going with a company that mislead and cheated its customers. Also, as I started researching forums and came to know about stalling issues on the bike.
    The Z800 on the other hand is a reliable name with hardly any issues faced by the owners. But the weight of the bike will hamper its usage in city.
    So now I'm in a big dilemma between my heart and my head.

    Details about self
    Age: 25
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 65kg
    Usage( Highway/City): 60/40
    Current bike: Thunderbird 500

    Would be grateful for inputs from the forum members and owners.
    Have u tried the CBR 650f, its way lighter and a 50k cheaper but u may say z800 has more torque which is true but top speed not, where the ceeber is top. Its much lighter than the z and more city friendly as I've seen in reviews.
    paradoxx and DocOnTwoWheels like this.

  10. #10
    Punter paradoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma: Street Triple or Z800

    Quote Originally Posted by teezam View Post
    Simple, go with your heart then. Heart wants what the heart wants !!!
    Had a long test ride of the Triple today (~35-40 km), pretty much have the feel of the bike. The wind blast was an issue over 160 but then that's to be expected on a naked. Only if now the Kawasaki guys will give a proper test ride and I can get on with making a decision. I have already sent them a mail on the same, let's see how they reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    Have u tried the CBR 650f, its way lighter and a 50k cheaper but u may say z800 has more torque which is true but top speed not, where the ceeber is top. Its much lighter than the z and more city friendly as I've seen in reviews.
    I'm actually biased towards 'nakeds' since I was a kid and also the looks of CBR fail to excite (totally subjective). The price difference is also just 11k not 50k. For me the Z800 makes a better choice than the CBR. The only issue is that the Kawasaki guys are so reluctant on longer test rides.

    If I don't get a test ride of the Z800, I'll happily buy the ST, at least I'd know what I'm shelling out that much money for!
    Last edited by paradoxx; 01-18-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Red Rose - my new Triumph Street Triple 675 RED!
    By jeevan.chaukar in forum Superbike And Imports
    Replies: 319
    Last Post: 02-03-2020, 09:17 AM
  2. Triumph Street Triple: Ab ki baar, Triumph Street Triple ( Non R)
    By hifisharu in forum Superbike And Imports
    Replies: 369
    Last Post: 11-05-2017, 09:40 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-29-2016, 03:07 PM
  4. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-31-2015, 12:54 AM
  5. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 10:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •