Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. We have one common religion - Bikeism.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Always wear a helmet.

Our Partners



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

  1. #21
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by icemang View Post
    Is it coincidental that I am on an identical search? Perhaps not. And that is a good thing.

    I would look at the issue in the following ways:

    One, the Himalayan, is a bike with a large after sales network but with a long list of basic design and manufacture defects.

    The second, the TRK or other Benellis, is by itself a solid bike but with a very sparse dealer and ASS network.

    Of the two, I would go for a bike which by itself is very reliable, specially when considering the remote areas that it would be ridden in.

    Thats well put iceman. Few would have complaints against the truly versatile Versys 650. So Its smaller version, must be good too, and that much more affordable.-With the versys 300X, I like the fact it has ABS, but its a bummer that its not switchable unlike in the 650. This would not be the best thing to have if you are on loose trail. The seat adjusts height by about an inch, I believe, which is a very desirable thing for me. 2 other things i love on the 650, adjustable suspension and adjustable windscreen..In summary, I totally agree that you can't beat or even compare these Japs to others.

    But overall, I personally think, the 300X is more of a road based beast than an off road trail blazer. This is where the Himalayan really shines. Off road, the himalayan really put a smile on my face, in the way it ploughs through. The weight balance and the ergos are very very good.And these are the very factors Im looking for in my next bike.
    If RE sorts out its notorious quality issues with the new fi Himalayan, at that price point, its a good buy for me, personally.
    The TRK with knobby tires and decent specs, despite its heavy weight, appeals to me as an alternative upgrade. But the price is a big factor. I don't want to spend more than 5lacs on a bike that I intend to punish on hostile terrain, and bleed during repair/aftersales service/availability or price of parts. But of course, reliability is desirable above all, and that seems to come at a cost.

    Lets wait and watch this space!.

  2. #22
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    The bs4 deliveries have commenced...anyone here got one home !?

    Wonder if bs4 iteration has made quality better

    To add to my dilemma I have the following in mind
    -Himalayan bs4? Economic.immediate buy.
    -benelli trk 502 ? Wait and buy.
    -pre owned versys/600GT?Stretch and buy.

  3. #23
    Addicted samarth14feb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    AECS B block, Singasandra, Blore
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by tripaccino View Post
    The bs4 deliveries have commenced...anyone here got one home !?

    Wonder if bs4 iteration has made quality better

    To add to my dilemma I have the following in mind
    -Himalayan bs4? Economic.immediate buy.
    -benelli trk 502 ? Wait and buy.
    -pre owned versys/600GT?Stretch and buy.
    Preowned versys is my suggestion. You already have a good bike, I am sure waiting and buying the best makes sense.

    Benelli sell their products cheap but their service is extremely expensive and frequent. I wouldn't recommend Himalayan due to the trouble everyone is running thought since it was launched. It's a wonderful bike but they have used very low quality parts(No offense fans)
    Last edited by samarth14feb; 09-10-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    CBR 650F <02/2017>
    Honda Aviator<2017>
    CBR250r :) <11/2011 to 2017> Sold
    Hero Honda Karizma <2009 to 2011 september> Sold
    Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3 <2007 to 09> Sold
    Honda Unicorn <2005 to 2007> scrap yard

  4. #24
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by samarth14feb View Post
    Preowned versys is my suggestion. You already have a good bike, I am sure waiting and buying the best makes sense.

    Benelli sell their products cheap but their service is extremely expensive and frequent. I wouldn't recommend Himalayan due to the trouble everyone is running thought since it was launched. It's a wonderful bike but they have used very low quality parts(No offense fans)
    Thanks samarth!

    I am inclined towards going for a better pre owned bike too.
    I agree with Benellis being frequent and expensive service.
    Will look out for good preloved examples out there..Just wondering how is kawasaki service/spares?

    But having stated the above, the Himalayans price does make the equation a no brainer at first glance, but the quality is a dark looming question on the owners head.

    And frankly, the lack of social buzz, around the BS4 even after deliveries have commenced ,worries me.

  5. #25
    Addicted samarth14feb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    AECS B block, Singasandra, Blore
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by tripaccino View Post
    Thanks samarth!

    I am inclined towards going for a better pre owned bike too.
    I agree with Benellis being frequent and expensive service.
    Will look out for good preloved examples out there..Just wondering how is kawasaki service/spares?

    But having stated the above, the Himalayans price does make the equation a no brainer at first glance, but the quality is a dark looming question on the owners head.

    And frankly, the lack of social buzz, around the BS4 even after deliveries have commenced ,worries me.
    Kawasaki is recovering after to split from Bajaj. They are constantly improving. Spares and service both are expensive but you have long service intervals. By 2018 the spares issue should minimise. These Japanese bikes are wonderful
    CBR 650F <02/2017>
    Honda Aviator<2017>
    CBR250r :) <11/2011 to 2017> Sold
    Hero Honda Karizma <2009 to 2011 september> Sold
    Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3 <2007 to 09> Sold
    Honda Unicorn <2005 to 2007> scrap yard

  6. #26
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by samarth14feb View Post
    Kawasaki is recovering after to split from Bajaj. They are constantly improving. Spares and service both are expensive but you have long service intervals. By 2018 the spares issue should minimise. These Japanese bikes are wonderful
    The Japs are of course, the best in their game.

    What I still give credit to the Himalayan is the upfront lower investment and the ability to thrash it off road without having to worry about steep repair bills.
    Hopefully, the quality is sorted.

    Of course, you get what you pay for.

    Whats your take on a 4 year old tiger? if i get it for a good deal, will it make better sense?

  7. #27
    Addicted samarth14feb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    AECS B block, Singasandra, Blore
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by tripaccino View Post
    The Japs are of course, the best in their game.

    What I still give credit to the Himalayan is the upfront lower investment and the ability to thrash it off road without having to worry about steep repair bills.
    Hopefully, the quality is sorted.

    Of course, you get what you pay for.

    Whats your take on a 4 year old tiger? if i get it for a good deal, will it make better sense?
    Triumphs are awesome and have a superb build quality. Only thing to consider is the maintenance cost. Try to look for one which has not been trashed hard. Usually off-roading/ adventure bikes will be used to the fullest in the right hands. Expect Triumph to be more expensive to maintain than Kawasaki.
    CBR 650F <02/2017>
    Honda Aviator<2017>
    CBR250r :) <11/2011 to 2017> Sold
    Hero Honda Karizma <2009 to 2011 september> Sold
    Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3 <2007 to 09> Sold
    Honda Unicorn <2005 to 2007> scrap yard

  8. #28
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    The tiger remains high in my wish list.but it's prohibitively expensive for me.

    Let me see what lies in store for me!

  9. #29
    Addicted samarth14feb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    AECS B block, Singasandra, Blore
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by tripaccino View Post
    The tiger remains high in my wish list.but it's prohibitively expensive for me.

    Let me see what lies in store for me!
    All the best. Take loads of time and invest wisely. Make sure you never have to look back at your decision
    CBR 650F <02/2017>
    Honda Aviator<2017>
    CBR250r :) <11/2011 to 2017> Sold
    Hero Honda Karizma <2009 to 2011 september> Sold
    Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3 <2007 to 09> Sold
    Honda Unicorn <2005 to 2007> scrap yard

  10. #30
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Looking for an Affordable ADV Tourer-Does the Benelli TRK 502 make sense?

    http://www.cartoq.com/himalayan-750-...iddhartha-lal/

    A 750cc Himalayan? Interesting....Wonder if it would make sense to wait for it or go with the existing Himalayan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 11:33 AM
  2. Affordable 600 sports tourer or Naked
    By teezam in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 08:09 PM
  3. Listening to your inner voice, the sixth sense.
    By MarkNS in forum General Biking Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 03:15 PM
  4. [Hard Torque]: Sense and Sensibility
    By Old Fox in forum Hard Torque
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 11:57 PM
  5. Super bikes to get affordable
    By hegdeanoop in forum News
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •