Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Always keep the chain well lubricated.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Upgrade from 150CC

  1. #1
    stig's_indian_cousin newwannaberider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kerala
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Upgrade from 150CC

    Hi all. I currently own a CB Unicorn 160. I plan to upgrade to a higher CC bike within a month. I really need help as I'm stuck between what to choose. Here are my options:

    1. NS 200 : Good mileage, Low maintanence cost, liquid cooled so will do great on long rides, but heard that new models are not reliable, backfire issues.
    2. FZ 250 : Great bike for city but underpowered on highways(my thoughts, do correct me), good mileage and low maintenence. Oil cooled so I'm not sure about longer rides, also is it worth almost 1.5lac?
    3. Dominar(non abs) : good bike great for long rides, high maintenance, low FE, looks good, worth the money.
    4. CBR 250 : i have no idea but heard only great things.

    I'm a college student, and I travel to and from college some days on my bike. Daily travel is approximately 60 km but is 85% highways. I do long rides once a month (approx 400 to 700) without any hassle. So please help me choose the better one out of these. Thanks in advance.....

  2. #2
    Moderator The Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gurgaon/ Kanpur
    Posts
    10,019
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    Query Approved

    All four motorcycles are good. Since you are a college student i would suggest buy the cheapest of the lot and invest the remaining cash in good quality riding gear
    Biking is not about what you have between your legs, its all about how well you use it!!!!!!!

    Give your details here if you want to help your fellow xBhpian stranded in your city

    Touring Blog: Cycling in Mongolia!

  3. #3
    stig's_indian_cousin newwannaberider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kerala
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    I finalised on fz 250 but i just want to know is it worth the price? Also can the oil cooler handle longer rides(above 20 km in single stretch) without any stress?

  4. #4
    stig's_indian_cousin newwannaberider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kerala
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    Also how much mileage can i expect from the dominar given my above riding condition?

  5. #5
    Rusted Ankey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dehradun
    Posts
    1,391
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    Quote Originally Posted by newwannaberider View Post
    I finalised on fz 250 but i just want to know is it worth the price? Also can the oil cooler handle longer rides(above 20 km in single stretch) without any stress?
    Quote Originally Posted by newwannaberider View Post
    Also how much mileage can i expect from the dominar given my above riding condition?

    Yup, the FZ25 is worth its price. You may find it a bit underpowered on paper, but take a long test ride and you will find it quite adequate on power. The oil cooler is nothing to worry about 95% of the bikes are still just air cooled and do fine on long tours, the oil cooler is more than capable enough to handle long tours or highway sprints. A 75cc scooty pep would be happy to do 20kms without any worry. However if you seriously plan to tour on it, I find that the missing 6th gear is a bit let down when it comes to highway rides. The fifth gear seems a bit stressed out at triple digit speeds and I think a 6th gear would have made the highway rides more relaxed at lower rpms. Having said that, it is in no means a slouch and only 5 gears means that it will be in the power band for quick overtakes. Do take a long test ride of this one before finalizing.

    The Fazer25 is the same as above, just different clothes. The looks are a bit on the fence, some people love it most hate it to the core, so if you can digest the looks of it, the faring improves the high speed stability, makes it more aerodynamic and you will not face wind blasts at triple digit speeds.

    Among the other shortlisted bikes, the NS200 is a hoot to ride, the Bajaj reliability and quality has improved by miles. If you plan for it, go for the ABS one.

    The Dominar too is a complete value for money product, go for it if the budget allows.

    The CBR250R is in a league of its own, it has earned its reputation and lives by it. The new one comes with upgraded light setup, if you can live with the age old styling and dash, go for it. You cannot go wrong with a CBR.

    Regarding mileage - the 250s will give you anywhere between 30-38 kmpl and the Dominar will give you between 26-35. You can ask the owners in the ownership section about the mileage, they would be able to give you accurate information.
    I would like to thank my legs for supporting me, my arms for being always by my side and my fingers; I could always count on them.

  6. #6
    stig's_indian_cousin newwannaberider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kerala
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ankey View Post
    Yup, the FZ25 is worth its price. You may find it a bit underpowered on paper, but take a long test ride and you will find it quite adequate on power. The oil cooler is nothing to worry about 95% of the bikes are still just air cooled and do fine on long tours, the oil cooler is more than capable enough to handle long tours or highway sprints. A 75cc scooty pep would be happy to do 20kms without any worry. However if you seriously plan to tour on it, I find that the missing 6th gear is a bit let down when it comes to highway rides. The fifth gear seems a bit stressed out at triple digit speeds and I think a 6th gear would have made the highway rides more relaxed at lower rpms. Having said that, it is in no means a slouch and only 5 gears means that it will be in the power band for quick overtakes. Do take a long test ride of this one before finalizing.

    The Fazer25 is the same as above, just different clothes. The looks are a bit on the fence, some people love it most hate it to the core, so if you can digest the looks of it, the faring improves the high speed stability, makes it more aerodynamic and you will not face wind blasts at triple digit speeds.

    Among the other shortlisted bikes, the NS200 is a hoot to ride, the Bajaj reliability and quality has improved by miles. If you plan for it, go for the ABS one.

    The Dominar too is a complete value for money product, go for it if the budget allows.

    The CBR250R is in a league of its own, it has earned its reputation and lives by it. The new one comes with upgraded light setup, if you can live with the age old styling and dash, go for it. You cannot go wrong with a CBR.

    Regarding mileage - the 250s will give you anywhere between 30-38 kmpl and the Dominar will give you between 26-35. You can ask the owners in the ownership section about the mileage, they would be able to give you accurate information.
    Thank you for the info. I've finalised the fz 250 or the dominar. Will do longer rides on both and finalise. I meant long stretch of 200km not 20km. Sorry about that...

  7. #7
    Rusted krishna77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dum Dum, Kolkata
    Posts
    5,349
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    That's a quick one!
    Do keep us posted.

  8. #8
    stig's_indian_cousin newwannaberider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kerala
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    Also a quick question. When can i expect the cbr 250 bs4 to hit the showrooms?

  9. #9
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    Quote Originally Posted by newwannaberider View Post
    Also a quick question. When can i expect the cbr 250 bs4 to hit the showrooms?
    Just asked this question in Honda showroom today - they have no clue. The sales representative there told me that it hasn't been launched!

  10. #10
    stig's_indian_cousin newwannaberider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kerala
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Upgrade from 150CC

    So maybe year end? I can't wait that long for a CBR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which 150cc to buy
    By confusedbiker in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2018, 02:44 PM
  2. Upgrade for comfort from 150cc
    By xTorque in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-27-2017, 02:29 PM
  3. Help me Upgrade my Old Pulsar 150cc......
    By sharmaraj in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM
  4. Looking to get a 150cc
    By MiracleBoy in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 11:24 PM
  5. Help me upgrade my CBZ
    By karthik_k in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •