Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. We have one common religion - Bikeism.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Tubeless tyres are better than tubed ones.

Our Partners



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

    Hi,

    I am looking to upgrade from my 1st Gen Pulsar 200. I don't really have the need for bikes above 200cc (due to my daily commute patterns, then again, even a sub 150cc will suffice - but just like the power delivery of my P200). I have shortlisted R15 v3 and RS 200 ABS.

    I know the benefits of having an ABS and also the fact that it is mandatory beginning next year; however, can someone share their personal experience on how much of a deal breaker ABS should be? I don't drive above 100 usually - so the only situation I am contemplating for ABS is during rains or those accidental emergency stops on the road.

    I live in Mumbai and have never driven a bike with ABS before so a little clueless.

    Any other alternatives are also more than welcome.

    Thanks in advance!

    Cheers,
    Ajay

  2. #2
    Moderator The Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gurgaon/ Kanpur
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default Re: R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

    Query Approved

    If your majority of riding is going to be commuting within the city, then why not a naked? Maybe the Apache 200 or Gixxer.

    After the P200, the lack of bottom end in the R15 takes time getting used to
    Biking is not about what you have between your legs, its all about how well you use it!!!!!!!

    Give your details here if you want to help your fellow xBhpian stranded in your city

    Touring Blog: Cycling in Mongolia!

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

    Quote Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
    Query Approved

    If your majority of riding is going to be commuting within the city, then why not a naked? Maybe the Apache 200 or Gixxer.

    After the P200, the lack of bottom end in the R15 takes time getting used to
    Thanks @The Monk for your prompt reply. This is what I noticed when I have ridden FZ. The power delivery is a little more linear and smoother; personally I prefer the raw power of 200, esp at the lower range since I rarely use the top end effectively. I thought R15 had it tuned a little differently than FZ and would have had a little more grunt at the lower end.

    I wanted to experience a fully faired bike after having a superb naked for over 10 years and hence the dilemma.

    I also read in another post on xBhp regarding Slipper clutch vs ABS and the argument seemed sensible to me that ABS is the more essential of the two for city riding.

    I have had an amazing experience with my P200; I am not so sure about the engine longevity and long term ownership pros/cons of Gixxer.

    Not going for RTR310 since it is a little out of budget; moreover, I wont be doing full justice to the full power of the bike.

    Suggestions more than welcome!

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Rusted Akash.Yadav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

    As Monk bhai suggested, Apache 200 with ABS would be the best low cost ownership. The bike's doing good from what I understand from the ownership thread here.
    Even 200 NS would be a good deal.
    I love the peppy and rabbit fast Gixxer too. It is such a delight to ride it in traffic.
    I have a P220 and recently sold R15 V2 because I didn't find a connect with R15 especially coming from 220 where 220 more than excels in low to mid range RPM where the bike usually spends time during its lifetime.
    I have been suggested Dominar too with the complete bells and whistles which again is a sweet sweet bike.
    You may wanna try FZ25 too. It is good torque flow and comfy too.
    Regards,
    Akash Yadav

    The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place. It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

  5. #5
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

    Quote Originally Posted by ajayreddy View Post
    can someone share their personal experience on how much of a deal breaker ABS should be? I don't drive above 100 usually - so the only situation I am contemplating for ABS is during rains or those accidental emergency stops
    It's always a good thing to have the safety net of ABS, regardless of the speeds at which you ride. Braking performance in wet conditions depends a lot on the quality of tyres too. For example the Honda CBR250R has exceptional brakes, but that all that braking performance is let down by the poor Contigo tyres.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajayreddy View Post
    I am not so sure about the engine longevity and long term ownership pros/cons of Gixxer.
    I have ridden my Gixxer for 2.5 years and more than 38k kms without any mechanical issues. You can expect the refinement and reliability levels to be similar to Honda and Yamaha. The Gixxer has this ability to make your daily commute fun, and it does accelerate pretty well till 95km/hr. The in gear acceleration is just phenomenal for a 150cc, it almost gives you the kick of 'raw' power. IIRC, the Gixxer will be launched with ABS in a few months, although it will be a single channel one. The MRF tyres are very confidence inspiring especially in wet conditions. Although the rear brake is very poor. (I have the 2015 drum brake version).

    Hope this helps.

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Bengaluru
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post Re: R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

    Quote Originally Posted by ajayreddy View Post
    Hi,

    I am looking to upgrade from my 1st Gen Pulsar 200. I don't really have the need for bikes above 200cc (due to my daily commute patterns, then again, even a sub 150cc will suffice - but just like the power delivery of my P200). I have shortlisted R15 v3 and RS 200 ABS.

    I know the benefits of having an ABS and also the fact that it is mandatory beginning next year; however, can someone share their personal experience on how much of a deal breaker ABS should be? I don't drive above 100 usually - so the only situation I am contemplating for ABS is during rains or those accidental emergency stops on the road.

    I live in Mumbai and have never driven a bike with ABS before so a little clueless.

    Any other alternatives are also more than welcome.

    Thanks in advance!

    Cheers,
    Ajay
    ABS is a recommended safety mechanism but should not be a deal breaker when it comes to choosing your motorcycle. Previous generation bikers have been in rough wet patches and even worse roads but have lived to tell the tale, that goes to say that ABS isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary.
    ABS basically is an electronic system applying the principles of threshold and cadence breaking which requires the rider to deliver the input. With little clutch finesse and some more tips on braking, you'd probably yield better results in breaking in a Non-ABS motorcycle than the one fitted with ABS. Yes it has a learning curve, yes you might end up in crashes initially, but you'll understand the limits of your motorcycle.

    But since you've narrowed down your use to city purposes why not consider the Apache RTR 200 4V (Race edition) - It comes equipped with a slipper clutch, Pirelli tyres, and Dual channel ABS (wouldn't recommend a RS 200 because its a single channel unit) and you'll still have some dough to spare for some quality gear!

    Check out this Blog post on ABS - Probably can help ease your decision making!

    Kudos!

  7. #7
    Rusted krishna77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dum Dum, Kolkata
    Posts
    4,924
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: R15 v3 vs RS200 ABS

    The R15 V3 is probably the best R15 till date. It's a looker and doesn't feel like a 150cc due to the level of performance. As mentioned earlier, ABS is good to have but not a deal breaker.
    On the other hand, RTR200 is also a good choice and value for money.

Similar Threads

  1. Pulsar RS200 or used Duke200.
    By NightRider_Bnglr in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-15-2017, 07:13 PM
  2. RC 200/RS200/Gixxer SF
    By Kenny Pinto in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-25-2016, 07:02 PM
  3. Pulser RS200 vs Duke 200
    By mryogi in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-11-2016, 02:13 PM
  4. Which bike to buy between R15 and RS200??
    By vineetsaini96 in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 07:10 PM
  5. RS200 or 200NS
    By Stubh in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-16-2015, 09:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •