Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Check engine oil level before every ride.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Arnabrana7
  • 1 Post By Neo77k

Thread: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Suri
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    It's been 6 years since I've been riding my Pulsar 180. I want an upgrade now, with a budget around 1.2 lakh.
    I am 5'9", 72 kg.
    Usage - Town:Highway = 60:40
    There are some points I would like to put stress on:
    ● I don't like much vibration.
    ● The engine needs to be refined and sound should be good after a run.
    ● When on highway, it should comfortably cruise at speeds over 90 kph (I mean between a range of 60 to 120), no overheating is welcome.
    ● Sitting position should be comfortable for long rides, palm and shoulders should not ache very soon.
    ● It should have decent pillion comfort too (I know these bikes doesn't offer much).
    ● Since the roads are bumpy here, a good ground clearance besides good road grip is highly necessary.
    ● I don't want cruisers like Enfields or Avenger, since in a busy town they are not easily maneuverable.
    ● Mileage is not an issue.

    Personally I liked the Pulsar 200NS very much, but have some doubts in mind, as follows:
    I rode the 2013 version, which skids a lot while braking; not much confidence-boosting.
    Is the engine refined enough? Doesn't the exhaust note change after a run, say 70-80 km? I felt so in the same.
    Last edited by xBhp; 02-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,086
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    Thread approved.

  3. #3
    Rusted #bpk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tezpur , Assam
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnabrana7 View Post
    It's been 6 years since I've been riding my Pulsar 180. I want an upgrade now, with a budget around 1.2 lakh.
    I am 5'9", 72 kg.
    Usage - Town:Highway = 60:40
    There are some points I would like to put stress on:
    ● I don't like much vibration.
    ● The engine needs to be refined and sound should be good after a run.
    ● When on highway, it should comfortably cruise at speeds over 90 kph (I mean between a range of 60 to 120), no overheating is welcome.
    ● Sitting position should be comfortable for long rides, palm and shoulders should not ache very soon.
    ● It should have decent pillion comfort too (I know these bikes doesn't offer much).
    ● Since the roads are bumpy here, a good ground clearance besides good road grip is highly necessary.
    ● I don't want cruisers like Enfields or Avenger, since in a busy town they are not easily maneuverable.
    ● Mileage is not an issue.

    Personally I liked the Pulsar 200NS very much, but have some doubts in mind, as follows:
    I rode the 2013 version, which skids a lot while braking; not much confidence-boosting.
    Is the engine refined enough? Doesn't the exhaust note change after a run, say 70-80 km? I felt so in the same.
    Try RS 200 it has eliminated all the niggles of ns 200, such as carb issue.

  4. #4
    Rusted Ankey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dehradun
    Posts
    1,378
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    If you really like the NS200 and can wait for a few weeks. There is a new NS coming with FI and ABS.
    There are pics and leaks all over the internet and this one will get the 2 things that it has been missing.
    I think it will be a good upgrade over your current bike and being an owner of a pulsar, you will have good experience on the after sales and services of Bajaj.

    Among other options the RTR200 with FI and ABS too is a good bike. The looks are fresh (NS looks a bit dated now), the instrument cluster is better than NS and the engine sound has more bass, a perfect tool for city commuting. But it has to make do with just a oil cooler, no proper liquid cooled engine.

    The RS200 is now really dated and the faring starts ratting within a few months of ownership. As you said there are potholes where you travel, that is going to make it rattle even more and drive you crazy.

    FZ25 is another very good option. Its comfortable, smooth and is a Yamaha. It is a fill it and forget it bike. Nothing ever goes wrong in it, has robust engine and slick gearbox and come with ABS. Negatives include oil cooled engine (still very good) and 5 speed gearbox. Lack of 6th gear is felt on really long highways but its not a deal breaker, infact its gem to ride around in city with good power. On paper itmight seem underpowered, but will surprise you with speed and acceleration.

    Fazer25 is faired version of the Fz25, everything remains the same with just the addition of a very quirky looking fairing. Most people find it ugly but it will be exclusive and head turning as there are not much Fazers on the road.

    Take test rides and then decide.
    Last edited by Ankey; 02-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    I would like to thank my legs for supporting me, my arms for being always by my side and my fingers; I could always count on them.

  5. #5
    Addicted Anuj Agarwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    Quote Originally Posted by Ankey View Post
    If you really like the NS200 and can wait for a few weeks. There is a new NS coming with FI and ABS.
    There are pics and leaks all over the internet and this one will get the 2 things that it has been missing.
    I think it will be a good upgrade over your current bike and being an owner of a pulsar, you will have good experience on the after sales and services of Bajaj.

    Among other options the RTR200 with FI and ABS too is a good bike. The looks are fresh (NS looks a bit dated now), the instrument cluster is better than NS and the engine sound has more bass, a perfect tool for city commuting. But it has to make do with just a oil cooler, no proper liquid cooled engine.

    The RS200 is now really dated and the faring starts ratting within a few months of ownership. As you said there are potholes where you travel, that is going to make it rattle even more and drive you crazy.

    Take test rides and then decide.
    That's the international model, I don't see it launching in India anytime sooner pardon me if I'm wrong but as an update we only get a new color that's yellow... Rest everything is the same... Single channel ABS carb variant only

  6. #6
    Rusted Ankey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dehradun
    Posts
    1,378
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Agarwal View Post
    That's the international model, I don't see it launching in India anytime sooner pardon me if I'm wrong but as an update we only get a new color that's yellow... Rest everything is the same... Single channel ABS carb variant only
    Thank you for the info mate. I didn't know that.

    Then I think the RTR200 with ABS would be the best option.
    the Fz25 with ABS should be the close second.

    I wouldn't advise buying a bike without ABS in 2019.

    Cheers.
    I would like to thank my legs for supporting me, my arms for being always by my side and my fingers; I could always count on them.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Suri
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    Quote Originally Posted by #bpk View Post
    Try RS 200 it has eliminated all the niggles of ns 200, such as carb issue.
    There's an issue with RS, i.e. low ground clearance. Not good for bumpy roads I think.
    #bpk likes this.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Delhi/NCR
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    I too upgraded from a Discover 125 and bought a FZ25 ABS yesterday.

    I could have asked you to go for it eyes closed, if only your budget could have been higher. It is 1.55 Lakhs on road here in Delhi.

    It ticks ALL the boxes you mentioned and looks sexy as hell. I feel as if the brand name Hunk should have been taken from Hero guys and put here, it's that much lean looking. Though I haven't pushed it beyond 60kmph (running in) i know it'll cruise at 110kmph all day long.

    My advice: take a test ride and see if you can increase your budget, and try to stick with the Japs as they are known for their reliability.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnabrana7 View Post
    There's an issue with RS, i.e. low ground clearance. Not good for bumpy roads I think.

  9. #9
    Addicted Neo77k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Haryana
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    Quote Originally Posted by MadEyeFoodie View Post
    I too upgraded from a Discover 125 and bought a FZ25 ABS yesterday.

    I could have asked you to go for it eyes closed, if only your budget could have been higher. It is 1.55 Lakhs on road here in Delhi.

    It ticks ALL the boxes you mentioned and looks sexy as hell. I feel as if the brand name Hunk should have been taken from Hero guys and put here, it's that much lean looking. Though I haven't pushed it beyond 60kmph (running in) i know it'll cruise at 110kmph all day long.

    My advice: take a test ride and see if you can increase your budget, and try to stick with the Japs as they are known for their reliability.
    Congratulations on your new motorcycle buddy. We should plan a ride once your running in period is complete

    HAPPY RIDING
    MadEyeFoodie likes this.

  10. #10
    Addicted Neo77k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Haryana
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which bike can be a good upgrade over my Pulsar180

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnabrana7 View Post
    It's been 6 years since I've been riding my Pulsar 180. I want an upgrade now, with a budget around 1.2 lakh.
    I am 5'9", 72 kg.
    Usage - Town:Highway = 60:40
    There are some points I would like to put stress on:
    ● I don't like much vibration.
    ● The engine needs to be refined and sound should be good after a run.
    ● When on highway, it should comfortably cruise at speeds over 90 kph (I mean between a range of 60 to 120), no overheating is welcome.
    ● Sitting position should be comfortable for long rides, palm and shoulders should not ache very soon.
    ● It should have decent pillion comfort too (I know these bikes doesn't offer much).
    ● Since the roads are bumpy here, a good ground clearance besides good road grip is highly necessary.
    ● I don't want cruisers like Enfields or Avenger, since in a busy town they are not easily maneuverable.
    ● Mileage is not an issue.

    Personally I liked the Pulsar 200NS very much, but have some doubts in mind, as follows:
    I rode the 2013 version, which skids a lot while braking; not much confidence-boosting.
    Is the engine refined enough? Doesn't the exhaust note change after a run, say 70-80 km? I felt so in the same.
    Hey buddy,

    To quote what you said about the 2013 NS200, I used to own an NS 200 2013 model. Back then the motorcycle came with Eurogrip tyres which actually had very less grip on the road even while running the bike would jump off the ground at every minute curve in the construction of the road. When I upgraded to Zappers, it made so much difference it was like someone glued it to the road, the difference showed in handling and braking as well. However the motorcycle now comes with ABS and a BS 4 engine. Now if you're a Pulsar user you know that Pulsars are known for maximum power in their price range, quality can be improved but it's not bad per se. About the sound you mentioned, I used Motul engine oil in it throughout my ownership and it sold like hot cake two years later coz the engine was in a very good condition. However, the Pulsar NS 200 ABS will push your budget beyond 1.2 lakh for on road acquisition.

    There's the 180 with fairing as well if you'd like to try it out. Another option is the FZ-S or 16 with ABS, those engines have a punchy mid range and good handling but they lose steam past 100 but that does not make them unworthy on a highway. Fun on the street and comfortable on highways they still make a good case.

    If you could push your budget you could try the FZ25 and RS200, FZ25 claims to have improved the exhaust now and RS200 still is an upgrade over NS200, take it from me coz I've owned both. Whichever motorcycle you get, make sure you have fun on it

    Happy riding

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 12:06 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2015, 11:08 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
  5. Karizma R to CBR250R ? Good Upgrade
    By elangoas in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •