Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Hot days = molten tar = slip/slide.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX100 Rebuild Must go on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX100 Rebuild Must go on...

Friend today went to the Yamaha dealorship as I am rebuilding my Old RX100, guess what the prices of OEM parts have skyrocketed. Yamaha does not wants to sell them or they know that 2 stroke lovers like us can be cashed on big time. here are the new prices and old prices.

Block Piston Kit ---- 3500/- ---- 5800/-
    Silencer ----- 1800 --------- 2700/-
    Oil Punp ---- 1500 -------- 2500/-
    Clutch assemble --- Not Known ----- 3200
    Every part in the book has been increased by near to 100%

And this has happened just when I started my rebuild.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Anyways as decided I am moving on with the rebuild.

I still remember the day I rode my first yamaha... I hated it

My heart was all set on Newly Launched Shaolin as my Brother had the old one and it was a dream bike in 1998, so convinced my parents for a bike without telling them which bike I want to buy. on the fine morning of April the 28th 2008 me and my parents were standing in front of the TVS showroom. i was all excited about the new ride when my dad entered and had a last word I still remember his words " you buy this bike and I will pay for it but dont expect even a single rupee from me afterwards" this really disheartened me not because of he will not pay but because I didnt wanted to buy something where my dad was not with it. So I said which bike should I buy then . he started his car and asked me to get in Next thing I know we are in a yamaha Showroom and a RX135 is getting ready for checks. my dad had a RX100 and he was a fan of the bike so it was yamaha all the way for him and let me tell you it was just because he thought RX135 is actually RX100 rebadged.

I hated the bike as I wanted a shaolin, the mechanic told me not to cross 50 for first 1000 Km. I started the bike and before I reached the next square I was at 90 kmph. I had decided to rip this bike in pieces and then when it falls apart I will get a shaolin. So I kept ripping the bike for 4 long years and guess what nothing happened except that I fell in love with the reliability the bike offered with no servicing no oil change nothing and pure ripping.

finally after 4 years I got a Job and the first thing I did was to sell off the RX135 and bought a Discover 125. (crazy Idea of mine ) every day when I used to ride the disco I missed my rx even more. finally I decided to get my love back and sold the disco for a RX100. The bike was crappy as hell not even in running condition so made it running, and I am riding it for the last 3 years now. it was on stock bore and piston till now so it had to show its age and rust was eating the bike even the chasis was starting to get cracked. finnaly I started saving for a rebuild and here I am.

The Yamaha Guys have delivered the first consignment of parts to me today more to come tomorrow.

Last edited by timsy911; 12-20-2009, 05:23 AM.

Topic Moved and Approved.
    :)

Comment

Old news !! simple explanation given when asked why ?? raw material prices have gone up..

Block piston kit here is 7.5k, evrything else is +/- than what you have mentioned ..
      "Engine tuning is not an exact science, but with some practice and patience you'll get comfortable with your skill and be able tune for any conditions mother nature throws at you"

Still the Boss -- RX 135

Comment

Yes I got the same answer, but I dont understand that the Non OEM kits are still available at 2200/- what special material yamaha is using to increase cost so much.

Guys please suggest me if I should still go for the OEM or get the Non OEM as I am no racer Just want a decent bike to commute daily. I want the block to last atleast 2 years with occasional high speed bursts..

Tim

Comment

^ If its old stock then please check out for rust and buy it else would be a problem, are you able to get old stocks ? in which city ?
          "Engine tuning is not an exact science, but with some practice and patience you'll get comfortable with your skill and be able tune for any conditions mother nature throws at you"

Still the Boss -- RX 135

Comment

Well all 2 strokes lover knew this since a long time back.... around 2 months back only I got these prices.... RX series coming in RD era.....

Save the Earth - We are the one who are running out of time, as Earth will take it own time to heal but that time may not be enough for us.

http://www.ridesafewith.me
            I dont just ride my bikes, I live with them.
            Yamaha RX100 (1987 model)
            Yamaha YZF R15 (2010 model)
            Hero Impulse (2012 model)
            Mahindra Thar (2015 model)
            GIRed 2012

Comment

Originally posted by timsy911 View Post
              Yes I got the same answer, but I dont understand that the Non OEM kits are still available at 2200/- what special material yamaha is using to increase cost so much.

Guys please suggest me if I should still go for the OEM or get the Non OEM as I am no racer Just want a decent bike to commute daily. I want the block to last atleast 2 years with occasional high speed bursts..

Tim
              Going for local cylinder kit is a bad idea I think. Cosmetic stuff like indicators, tail lamp, etc one can opt for local ones. I would say, anything related to engine & transmission atleast go for OEM.

If you want it to last only for two years, then the re-build itself might not be worth it. How much work to be done?

P.S: Out of curiousity what are you going to do after two years? Sell? Pardon me if I am being too nosy to your comfort
              Last edited by NitinGirish; 12-15-2009, 01:54 PM.
              A lone amateur built the ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic...

Comment

@ NitinGirish

I intend to use the bike atleast for 2 years. more if the local bore can last I am for sure a very bad driver coz I drive very less say 200 - 400 km a month that too in prime traffic. I have this RX100 for past 3 years before that I had a RX135. I don't want to upgrade to a bigger bike or a 4 stroke as of the following reasons.

1. traffic
                2. high cost involved 60k... The point is why should I
                3. I love my Yamaha can't sell it off

the Yamaha is in very bad condition as the owner before me had left it to rust for nearly 4 years, spent around 13k at that for the bike cost + to get it moving

The total rebuild today with all OEM parts exceeds 30k which has made it a tough decision for me, I am looking for help to make a decision as the dilemma is growing on me. I want a trouble free ride for the next 2 ( if possible 4 years ) I hope this makes my position more clear to you.

also apart from engine parts I also have to replace the complete silencer, is it advisable to go for original or duplicate make is fine as long as I use every thing in the engine OEM
                Last edited by timsy911; 12-15-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: forgot

Comment

Originally posted by timsy911 View Post
                  @ NitinGirish

I intend to use the bike atleast for 2 years. more if the local bore can last I am for sure a very bad driver coz I drive very less say 200 - 400 km a month that too in prime traffic. I have this RX100 for past 3 years before that I had a RX135. I don't want to upgrade to a bigger bike or a 4 stroke as of the following reasons.

1. traffic
                  2. high cost involved 60k... The point is why should I
                  3. I love my Yamaha can't sell it off

the Yamaha is in very bad condition as the owner before me had left it to rust for nearly 4 years, spent around 13k at that for the bike cost + to get it moving

The total rebuild today with all OEM parts exceeds 30k which has made it a tough decision for me, I am looking for help to make a decision as the dilemma is growing on me. I want a trouble free ride for the next 2 ( if possible 4 years ) I hope this makes my position more clear to you.

also apart from engine parts I also have to replace the complete silencer, is it advisable to go for original or duplicate make is fine as long as I use every thing in the engine OEM
                  Look at it this way. Can you buy RX100 performance for Rs.30k? A 150cc bike will cost you atleast Rs.60k as you said. Unless ofcourse anybody wants to argue that Splendour is more an equitable comparison

I suggest, you restore it completely with all OEM parts and ENJAI I am sure thoughts of selling it off will not occur to you once you restore it properly.
                  A lone amateur built the ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic...

Comment

The question comes to my mind that are we trying to flog a dying horse with our RXes with the company increasing part prices and a thought really comes to my mind is the envoirnmental costs of running a two stroke. End of the day it literally burns oil and sens fumes into a already fragile atmosphere!
                    "I set out running but I take my time, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine. If I get home before day light, just might get some sleep tonight" - The Grateful Dead.

The Stable - 2009 Yamaha FZS (Baby Beast) & 2010 YAMAHA YZF R15 (Anjuna Sunset).

Wishlist - Kawasaki Ninja 250r, YAMAHA R6 and Bullet standard 500 with the CI engine and a handpainted Goa Chic helmet.

www.facebook.com/powerslave666

Comment

haha..tree hugger!!

stock up and save up on parts. thats what i do

cheers
                      83' RD350 HT
                      96' RXG
                      97' RXZ
                      91'RX100>09'RX165
                      2010' HH ZMR

Comment

Pull your socks boyz start stocking up dont be surprised if u want to go to another city to pick up a spare just goooo and pick it else its gonner and the looser is you.

Still the Boss -- RX 135

Comment

Originally posted by atul_astro View Post
                          haha..tree hugger!!

stock up and save up on parts. thats what i do

cheers
                          Stock up What all do you have ? Ping me when you come online...

Originally posted by psycho 98 View Post
                          Pull your socks boyz start stocking up dont be surprised if u want to go to another city to pick up a spare just goooo and pick it else its gonner and the looser is you.
                          I checked with the barrels abroad . The cost has increased in Yamaha Thailand and Indonesia too. The RX135 4speed barrel use to cost 70$ now its 130$
                          Converting Halogen / HID headlamp setups to FULL LED.

Please fill in this survey so we can help you move to FULL LED Headlamps

https://goo.gl/forms/yziJJjDbaGwiPaPP2

Comment

Originally posted by psycho 98 View Post
                            Seriously, one has to buy the whole bike in spares

At this rate I am going to be bankrupt

Comment

pssttt its saddenning as well as funny at times... I have already started saving money to buy important spares... we are in for an era which was known for RD's

Save the Earth - We are the one who are running out of time, as Earth will take it own time to heal but that time may not be enough for us.

http://www.ridesafewith.me
                              I dont just ride my bikes, I live with them.
                              Yamaha RX100 (1987 model)
                              Yamaha YZF R15 (2010 model)
                              Hero Impulse (2012 model)
                              Mahindra Thar (2015 model)
                              GIRed 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X