Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

All the gear all the time (ATGATT).

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chanshal- The Unexplored Terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Photo Feature]: Chanshal- The Unexplored Terrain

Chanshal is a place which is mostly unexplored because remote location and hostile riding conditions, situated at 2186 meters above sea level 48km from Rohru and 102km from Shimla.

At 0300 hours I packed my bag and started to get ready for the long ride ahead. As this was my first winter trip I was bit skeptical about what to carry and what to leave behind due to limited space. So I stuffed in whatever I can and tied it with bungee. Reached the meeting point of Karnal Bypass by 0520Hours where Abhishek bhaiya was already waiting with his beast. I should now introduce the beasts too, The Mighty Pulsar 220. Geared up from head to toe we left the point at 0530hours in biting cold. Crossing every toll and heavy vehicles we cruised silently through the Darkness. In four hours we saw signboards saying Chandigarh 20km and then we decided to have something to eat before climbing the mountains. After having some food we moved ahead and reached Kalka which is always crowded city crossing Kalka as quickly as we can we reached near Shimla at noon and had our second tea break.

Somehow we managed to cross them to reach Theog, and took a right from there.

Road conditions were degrading with each passing mile and to top that huge trucks were spraying water on loose sand to stop the dust from escaping making it perfect accident-prone region for bikes and yeah there was no third bike to be seen.

Slowly drifting and slipping we moved ahead. I forgot there was even a third gear in my machine as the maximum speed would be just 14kmh.

Every few meters there were these huge cranes and machines removing the debris from the way and followed the huge jams on the road.

It was kind of road where a moment of distraction would have meant injurious and the same happened to me as I was looking at the snow on the road banks I saw Abhishek Bhaiya drifting in slush and making it through but i got caught up in wheel spin and slipped down, nothing serious as it was just 9kmh and just a fall.

We managed to reach Kotkhai and enjoyed every moment and movement our bikes did on the way. There was this huge jam on this city as the road was not able to accommodate more than a car at a time.

Left with sand, gravel and now with black ice with no rear brakes was not good signs. No matter we decided to move on and our speed decreased more as the roads were converted to long never ending sheets of black ice.

It was sand above and when sand is removed the black ice shined beneath.

At one point I thought we are not on earth and all the crazy feeling and thoughts clouded me. It was becoming dark quickly and we were still around 25km away from Rohru where we decide to spend the night.

It was some place Jubbal and we stopped there to enquire about the roads ahead. Some of them advised us to go through Hatkoti and we two looked at each other and said Rohru will be the next point where we will stop and so we let it begin. My fingers were numb and blue and the dark was overtaking the mountains. As the locals said the roads would be good enough via Hatkoti we both moved ahead in search of tarmac and peace, and found none of them.

Soon it was pitch dark and not a single living soul was to be seen anywhere. Slowly and swiftly leaving worst roads behind and welcoming more worse roads ahead we were closing in to Rohru.

The Story of Day 2 will be updated by Abhishek bhaiya. So keep checking the space.

DAY-2 Now updated please click here.

OR GO TO NEXT PAGE

Regards,
    Shantonil :-)
    Happy New Year...
    Last edited by indian07_blood; 01-04-2011, 02:36 PM.
    Always Wear A HELMET,sigpic Everybody does not has the comfort to replace his HEAD

Shaan

Travelogue approved.
    (Been There Done That) x 3.25

Comment

Nice trip and cool snaps dude....
      Please use all possible safety measures while riding and remember others also riding on the same road...

Comment

Originally posted by ksatish View Post
        Nice trip and cool snaps dude....
        Thanks mate :-), The pics and experience of Day 2 are more adventurous hold on till its updated

Originally posted by sunilg View Post
        Travelogue approved.
        Thanks for approving sir!.
        Always Wear A HELMET,sigpic Everybody does not has the comfort to replace his HEAD

Shaan

Comment

Fantastic! Reminded me of my ride in Feb last year...tonnes of black ice at khadapatthar...looking forward to more
          " I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain

Comment

Mighty Pulsars Tamed to the fullest....

Liked every word....awesome...
            Pictures also to good....
            http://www.facebook.com/people/Rahul...non/1353751249

Kumaon 2013
            Garhwal 2012
            Spiti 2012
            Leh-Ladakh 2011
            http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/1...s-im-lehd.html
            Spiti 2011
            Kumaon 2010

Solo Spitian

Comment

Originally posted by kurtrules View Post
              Fantastic! Reminded me of my ride in Feb last year...tonnes of black ice at khadapatthar...looking forward to more
              I'll update it by evening sir. And yes wherever we were looking black ice was greeting us..

Originally posted by romeoinvisible5 View Post
              Liked every word....awesome...
              Pictures also to good....
              thanks a lot rahul :-)...

Shaan

Comment

nice pics and write up there shaan bhai..
                Regards,

Adhip Varma

Blog: https://theroamingdelhite.com/

YouTube Channel: The Roaming Delhite

Instagram: @theroamingdelhite

Bajaj Pulsar 150 (2007-2014) - 42,000 kms

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS (2014 - 2017) - 50,000 kms

Mahindra Mojo (2017 - Present) - 45,000 kms and counting

Comment

nice write up.. hope you repaired the rear brake lever, else no rear brake wouldve been a nightmare in the hills!!

My offerings to the gods of speed -

- KTM Duke 200
                  - Yamaha RXZ 5 speed

Comment

My side of the story

The only question I had to repeatedly answer, when I informed my friends that a ride to Rohru is on, why again??
                    This was my fifth trip to quaint town by the side of River Pabbar. It has nothing fancy attached to it but somehow all my sojourns to this place have been satisfying. I did this ride only beacause Rohru is amongst my favourite destination & Chanshal as a destination still eluded me. For any other place... I would have thought twice.

That being done & plan made on a single call conversation wih Shaantonil, I packed my saddle at midnight... slept for 3 hrs & left for our meeting point sharp at decided time.

The fellow rider was right on time & we wasted no time in treading towards CHD maintaining good speeds, both bikes being P220. We made it to Shimla in a little more than 6 hrs and honestly, I reckon it as a very good time by any standards. The roads to Kufri, Theog & further are in such mess that you really get no time to admire the views surrounding these cities. Take a right from Theog towards Chhaila and what you encounter is straining initially, you are forced to use lot of brakes, lower gears & cleaning of visors continously due to extreme dust. Near Chhaila you get a perfect recipe for drifitng your bike, water sprinkled on mud to prevent it from forming a cover & also to reduce the injuries in case your bike decides to have a taste of this mixture.

We were not taking any stop enroute or to say so engulfed in countering this mess that hunger had taken a backseat. Shaantonil has already made explicit the condition of route but what amazed me was that I treaded this route just three motnhs ago, I was able to reach Chhaila from Rohru in three hours whereas this time it took me 6 hours to cover the same distance. Heck!!

Route for Day 1: - Delhi - Kalka - Shimla - Theog - Chhaila - Kotkhai - Kharapatthar - Shiladesh - Patsari - Rohru

We checked in at Circuit house at 1900 hrs. This is my preferred place to stay since it is very cheap & rooms are big enough for 5 people. The pristine OLD MONK helped providing warmth & cheer our chilled body, fatigued mind. So Day 1 completed giving us a vague indication on what to expect on Day 2.
                    sigpic

LIFE IS SHORT !!! GO HARD

Comment

Nice pics guys.. will be waiting for further log to come up..
                      Also, just wanted to know, when did you guys did this ride?

Originally posted by kurtrules View Post
                      Not to forget the time of the day we crossed it.. Black Ice + Darkness all around = Total bliss
                      The Fastest Indian!!

Comment

Originally posted by prashantbhardwaj View Post
                        Nice pics guys.. will be waiting for further log to come up..
                        Also, just wanted to know, when did you guys did this ride?

Prashant we were in Chanshal on 25th Dec. Merry Christmas. So it was 24th - 26th of Dec, three days to complete the ride.
                        sigpic

LIFE IS SHORT !!! GO HARD

Comment

Nice trip you guys had.
                          Waiting for more
                          Click Here To Visit My Biking World

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            nice pics and write up there shaan bhai..
                            Thanks adp

Originally posted by jd666 View Post
                            nice write up.. hope you repaired the rear brake lever, else no rear brake wouldve been a nightmare in the hills!!

yeah it was difficult to control but got accustomed to situation quickly and the didn't use much brakes even after the break lever was fixed.

Originally posted by tourer_kashif View Post
                            Nice trip you guys had.
                            Waiting for more
                            Thanks man. More is coming in few minutes

Shaan

Comment

Day Two-Rohru-Chanshal-Rohru
                              As we woke up before the sun rays can hit the earth the sound of Pabbi river was very crystal clear in the silence of the mountains. As there was no tea available at the place we were staying we just got ready and stopped at a market to drink tea and have some biscuits as there would have been nothing ahead.

Chanshal is just 45km away, or I should say 4 hours away from Rohru. As we were sipping on tea abhishek bhaiya discovered that the cam he was carrying stopped working. We tried to change the cells in it but nothing worked. As the morning cold was freezing me I bought a pair of woollen gloves to wear inside my riding gloves. I got some respite from the biting cold at last. We geared up and started our journey to our final destination Chanshal.

The 12km of roads inside the city were so smooth and calm laid on the banks of river but then conditions changed dramatically.

The ride along the river bank roads came to and painful and bumpy end and big stones, sand and black ice welcomed us again.

Neither of us was trying to overpower the mountains and the speed came dropping to 12km/h.

It was 09:00 hours and sun was smiling brightly at us. With our bikes doing every type of fish tail dance we can ever imagine on roads which were just too much thin for comfort.

At one place I stopped my bike and as soon as my boots touched the surface below I started to slip. Going out of control I dropped my machine again.

This time it was just at the edge of the mountain and abhishek bhaiya came to rescue as he lifted this heavy love of mine again.

Same happened with him midway and I came to his rescue.

The view of dry sand with no ice was a pleasure that I felt deep in my heart.

At one stretch it was these big rocks lying everywhere for us. Advancing that we came across numerous water crossings and without weather proof shoes it was really getting difficult to cross those streams.

But determined we kept on moving to the top and after some time all we can see is black ice everywhere.

It was really getting impossible to ride on such a road coz there was nothing to grip the rubber. With picturesque view everywhere my eyes can look, I was hungry for more and want to reach Chanshal no matter what.

At one place we decided to stop and take a break from the slow roller coaster we have been riding for hours.

Few guys came to see the aliens on bike so high and asked us what we are up to? As abhishek bhaiya was speaking to the locals and they said the conditions will only degrade further and no bikers should go there as many things might go wrong and there will be no help.

We have to take decision as we were only 9km away from chanshal. We have to keep certain things like weather, darkness and black ice in mind and take a call on it. It was really tough as mind and heart were at war, heart was screaming to go further but mind said a big no. We stood there for good half an hour and then took sensible decision to fall back as it gets dark very quickly at this part of earth. We took a painful U-Turn and started to experience everything again that I thought passed in rear view.

We descended slowly and it was much harder for me because of no functional rear brakes. Then came to this point where someone was cooking inside a small grocery shop. We requested him to make some tea and maggi for us as we were starving up there.

We crossed everything again in reverse direction and decided to take a break at Pabbi River Bank.

It was so pleasant to just lie and listen to voices of river. We spent good time there clicking and discussing everything we did earlier in morning. The whole thing was done in 8hours with just one break of 15mins and distance covered was 50+ km.

Took a toll of both of us as our black pulsars were now brown and jackets and everything was under the blanket of dust. We left that point and reached our room to wash our faces and took our machines to a service point where they lubed the chain and got my break lever fixed. The mountains without Dimsums or momos sounds unrelated really so we had some great momos and prepared for the night J.

Last day of the trip we took a different route through Narkhanda and will be updated soon...'

Regards
                              Shantonil

Shaan

Comment

Working...
                              X