Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

#xBhpAxorHelmet #2

Axor
Castrol Power 1

Practice slow-speed riding.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By krishna77
  • 1 Post By Chakrapani

Thread: A zero maintenance chain is the latest innovation from BMW

  1. #1
    Official xBhp NewsMonger
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,142
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default A zero maintenance chain is the latest innovation from BMW

    Living in this day and age, we have come to expect new technology and innovations almost too frequently. And yet, only a few seem feasible and even fewer, really useful. The zero maintenance chain from BMW is something that is already being implemented and seems a tad too useful in the ongoing monsoon season.



    BMW is calling their new innovation the M Endurance Chain. With this, they aim to take at least one item off from the list of things to do to keep your motorcycle running mint. Chain maintenance is something that is vital for a motorcycle to perform well and it is just as easy to forget. And that is why we feel that this piece of German innovation is extremely useful.

    We have discussed the 'what' and 'why' of it and now it is time to move onto the 'how'. The chain itself is sealed in an X-ring design, already lauded for its relatively low maintenance. While this may not be a new idea, the coating is what gives this product the longevity that BMW claims. The name of the coating? Tetrahedrally Amorphous Carbon or (ta-C) or 'Industrial Diamond'.

    Even more vaguely, it can be called a type of DLC (diamond-like coating). This coating is what is touted to keep the M Endurance Chain robust and helps it to keep going without the need for petty things such as cleaning and lubrication. In effect, it all sounds logical and all but the real-world application and durability is something that is still untested.

    At any rate, it certainly seems like an innovative idea backed by a bold claim because chains can be a pain to take care of if you tour a lot or if you like Piña coladas, getting caught in the rain...

    Another interesting fact is that the sportier ones from the BMW stable are getting this chain factory-fitted as an option. Interesting because a substantial number of two-wheeled Beemers out there are known for long hauls and it would have made more sense to add this as a standard fitment in those motorcycles to help them take care of their long-hauls more reliably.

    But you can get it retrofitted on your current Beemer as well. But as we said, earlier, only time will tell if the M Endurance Chain will actually make chain maintenance a thing of the past.

    Source

  2. #2
    Rusted krishna77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dum Dum, Kolkata
    Posts
    5,609
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: A zero maintenance chain is the latest innovation from BMW

    Idea sounds good on paper but I doubt the effectiveness of this concept in Indian dirt and monsoon!

  3. #3
    Addicted Chakrapani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Karnataka
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: A zero maintenance chain is the latest innovation from BMW

    It would be worthwhile to note what sort of chains are used by Dakar rally machines. In terms of endurance in extremes of wear and tear that would be a better standard.

    Plus this appears to be a high cost accessory for already costly bikes. The entire chain and sprocket set for a Classic 350 costs roughly 2000 rupees.

    This chain is presently priced at 100 pounds or approx 10000 rupees in Great Britain. If at all this makes it's way to Indian markets expect it to be priced much higher...

    Would you pay this kind of a premium for your motorcycle costing 2 to 3 lakhs....Decide for yourself.

    The day these chains make their way onto OE fitments for the BMW 310 models would be a true indicator of their actual worth.

  4. #4
    Rusted rachitkdogra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DLF Phase1, Gurgaon
    Posts
    874
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: A zero maintenance chain is the latest innovation from BMW

    Quote Originally Posted by Chakrapani View Post
    It would be worthwhile to note what sort of chains are used by Dakar rally machines. In terms of endurance in extremes of wear and tear that would be a better standard.

    Plus this appears to be a high cost accessory for already costly bikes. The entire chain and sprocket set for a Classic 350 costs roughly 2000 rupees.

    This chain is presently priced at 100 pounds or approx 10000 rupees in Great Britain. If at all this makes it's way to Indian markets expect it to be priced much higher...

    Would you pay this kind of a premium for your motorcycle costing 2 to 3 lakhs....Decide for yourself.

    The day these chains make their way onto OE fitments for the BMW 310 models would be a true indicator of their actual worth.

    Most sport bike chains need to balance the wear and tear vs how much energy gets waisted in rotating the chain only.
    A race prepped Dakar bike can afford to loose a couple of extra percent of power for pure durability because of the use case. A track bike can afford to run thinner lighter chains to have minimum energy wastage at the cost of some durability as they don't need to clock that much mileage.

    Also, 100 pounds is actually quite VFM. I got DID X Ring chain (Only Chain, No Sprockets) for my CBR650F for 130 pounds. Basic DID O Ring chains would start from 80-90 pounds in 530 pitch which is what these bikes use.


    CHEERS!!

    Rachit.
    Rachit K Dogra

  5. #5
    Addicted Chakrapani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Karnataka
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: A zero maintenance chain is the latest innovation from BMW

    Quote Originally Posted by rachitkdogra View Post
    Most sport bike chains need to balance the wear and tear vs how much energy gets waisted in rotating the chain only.
    A race prepped Dakar bike can afford to loose a couple of extra percent of power for pure durability because of the use case. A track bike can afford to run thinner lighter chains to have minimum energy wastage at the cost of some durability as they don't need to clock that much mileage.

    Also, 100 pounds is actually quite VFM. I got DID X Ring chain (Only Chain, No Sprockets) for my CBR650F for 130 pounds. Basic DID O Ring chains would start from 80-90 pounds in 530 pitch which is what these bikes use.


    CHEERS!!

    Rachit.
    Thanks Rachit. This is exactly the kind of insight that is required. As you said Use Case is the operating principle. Indian road conditions being the point of discussion.

    Btw I googled Dakar bikes and saw that the chains had some sort of a coating which looked similar to what this chain has. Can some of our more well read and experienced xbhpians shed more light on this. Some more information on cost of dirt bike chains would be welcome.

    These chains are being brought out for S1000 bikes by BMW. Hence sport track leanings look more likely.
    rachitkdogra likes this.

  6. #6
    Rusted rachitkdogra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DLF Phase1, Gurgaon
    Posts
    874
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: A zero maintenance chain is the latest innovation from BMW

    Quote Originally Posted by Chakrapani View Post
    Thanks Rachit. This is exactly the kind of insight that is required. As you said Use Case is the operating principle. Indian road conditions being the point of discussion.

    Btw I googled Dakar bikes and saw that the chains had some sort of a coating which looked similar to what this chain has. Can some of our more well read and experienced xbhpians shed more light on this. Some more information on cost of dirt bike chains would be welcome.

    These chains are being brought out for S1000 bikes by BMW. Hence sport track leanings look more likely.
    From what I heard, apparently bicycle chains have had such coatings for some time now. And as you said, Dakar bikes have had this for a while, not sure why road bikes have taken so long to have this. But glad to have things moving along and hoping to see more manufacturers coming with similar innovations.

    CHEERS!!

    Rachit
    Rachit K Dogra

Similar Threads

  1. Chain Maintenance | Product Usage : [HINDI]
    By VivekRj.Dieselhead in forum Do it Yourself!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2018, 07:59 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 04:38 AM
  3. Maintenance for chain in Pulsar200NS
    By vikasmukul in forum Help Me!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 08:43 PM
  4. Innovation: helmet with rear view mirrors
    By pulsater in forum General Biking Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 01:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •