Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Red to green – let the cager go first.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Hello eveyone,

    First of all, let me thank admins for approving my membership request.
    And I hope you all will accept me in the 'family'.

    I'm using Hero Honda Passion Plus for last 9-10 years now and though it is still serving me to its best, I feel it's high time for an upgrade.
    So please help me with this dilemma of purchasing a new bike.

    1. Budget ---> 70 to 90k (on road)
    2. Age ---> 27
    3. Height ---> 5'9
    4. Weight ---> 110kg (Yeah, need to shed a lot of kilos)
    5. Intended usage ---> daily commute (20-30 kms) and fortnight wandering (200 kms up & down)
    6. Fuel Efficiency requirement ---> should be atleast 40+
    7. City & Highway percentage usage ---> City 80%, Highway 20%
    8. Approximate Daily/Monthly running ---> approximately 500 kms monthly
    9. City/Town/Village ---> Pune
    10. Brand/Bike type preference (if any) ---> after a lot of r&d, I've shortlisted Honda CB Hornet 160R and Bajaj Avenger Street 150 but feel free to suggest other bikes.There is already a Gixxer in the family, therefore it is out of question. (Gixxer is also inconvenient for pillion rider, especially females)

    Things I'm primarily looking around in a bike are : Comfort, Maneuverability and should be easy to maintain.

    Waiting for your replies guys.
    Thanks in advance.

    Be happy and a reason will come along !
    - Robert Brault

  2. #2
    Super Moderator sunilg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ghaziabad
    Posts
    8,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Dilemma approved.
    Vattsy and jor.teron like this.
    (Been There Done That) x 3.25

  3. #3
    Punter paradoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Given your requirements, I'd suggest Hornet over Avenger because

    1. Since your major usage is in the city and you mentioned maneuverability, Avenger does not handle that well in traffic (given the longer wheel base).

    2. I haven't tested the new Avenger but the older one had an uncomfortable pillion seat.

    3. Hornet has more power, smoother engine and comes with Honda reliability, hence easier to maintain. Avenger whereas is the same old bajaj engine and similar issues.

    All the best!

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Quote Originally Posted by sunilg View Post
    Dilemma approved.
    Thank you.

    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxx View Post
    Given your requirements, I'd suggest Hornet over Avenger because

    1. Since your major usage is in the city and you mentioned maneuverability, Avenger does not handle that well in traffic (given the longer wheel base).
    2. I haven't tested the new Avenger but the older one had an uncomfortable pillion seat.
    3. Hornet has more power, smoother engine and comes with Honda reliability, hence easier to maintain. Avenger whereas is the same old bajaj engine and similar issues.

    All the best!
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I've read on many websites that due to lower handelbars Avenger 150 can be easily maneuvered in the traffic.
    I've test ridden Horner 160R and I really liked it, didn't notice much difference in ride quality between Gixxer and Hornet.
    But I'm skeptical about whether Hornet would look good for a big guy like me or not.

    Be happy and a reason will come along !
    - Robert Brault

  5. #5
    Rusted Ankey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dehradun
    Posts
    1,378
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpiritedBiker View Post

    I've read on many websites that due to lower handelbars Avenger 150 can be easily maneuvered in the traffic.
    I've test ridden Horner 160R and I really liked it, didn't notice much difference in ride quality between Gixxer and Hornet.
    But I'm skeptical about whether Hornet would look good for a big guy like me or not.
    The handling in city traffic differs from person to person. One of my friends owns a Avenger I have a hard time controlling it in traffic but he finds it very easy. Similarly I move through traffic very very easily on my r15 but my friend finds it hard to do so. So according to me it is a matter of practice and familiarity on a bike.

    But I would suggest to go for Hornet because of the Honda reliability, build quality and smoothness. Avenger is nowhere near Honda in terms of reliability, build quality and smoothness of engines.
    At the end, choose the one that suits you the best.
    Ride safe.
    I would like to thank my legs for supporting me, my arms for being always by my side and my fingers; I could always count on them.

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Thank you Paradoxx and Amkey for your replies.
    I've decided to go for Hornet.

    It is priced at Rs. 87430 in my city.(Std version, On-Road)
    I would go for Sports Red color most probably.

    Anyway, do you guys know the exact price of the accessories and extended warranty ?
    I don't want to get cheated by the dealer.

    Be happy and a reason will come along !
    - Robert Brault

  7. #7
    Rusted sanjaynk15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpiritedBiker View Post
    Thank you Paradoxx and Amkey for your replies.
    I've decided to go for Hornet.

    It is priced at Rs. 87430 in my city.(Std version, On-Road)
    I would go for Sports Red color most probably.

    Anyway, do you guys know the exact price of the accessories and extended warranty ?
    I don't want to get cheated by the dealer.
    Good decision mate!
    Do keep us updated on your purchase! Congratulations in advance!
    Ask for the accessories and extended warranty cost in CB Hornet thread too, owners will be able to help you.

  8. #8
    Rusted Ankey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dehradun
    Posts
    1,378
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpiritedBiker View Post
    Thank you Paradoxx and Amkey for your replies.
    I've decided to go for Hornet.

    It is priced at Rs. 87430 in my city.(Std version, On-Road)
    I would go for Sports Red color most probably.

    Anyway, do you guys know the exact price of the accessories and extended warranty ?
    I don't want to get cheated by the dealer.
    All the best for the new bike mate.

    For any specific info on Hornet please visit the owner ship thread and ask the owners, as they will be able to answer accurately. Also the prices may vary a bit from place to place because of taxes in different states. But you will get a general idea.
    Ride safe.
    I would like to thank my legs for supporting me, my arms for being always by my side and my fingers; I could always count on them.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    It's been only two weeks and 100kms on ODO but still, I'm loving it !

    Bought the Hornet (Sports Red) on Gudhipadva, after a lot of verbal fight with two dealers.
    One dealer was quoting 5,000 Rs. more and the other dealer was asking for 7,000 Rs. more than the actual On-road price mentioned on Honda's website.
    When I complained this to Honda's customer care, they assured me that I do not need to pay even an extra penny.
    Some senior guy from main office had called the first dealer and perhaps asked him for the justification of this extra amount.
    Later in the day, I got a call from the same dealer.
    He was now saying that there was some confusion and I only need to pay 1400 Rs. extra.
    But I refused to pay this unjustifiable extra amount.

    Then I went to the second showroom.
    Here they were asking for 7,000 Rs. extra.
    I explained him the sequence of all the discussions (including the discussion with the first dealer), but he still refused to sell the bike at the actual price.
    I stood up from the chair and started to walk towards the exit and suddenly the showroom manager agreed to sell the bike for the price mentioned on Honda's website.

    I know Hornet is not some sabji-tarkari to bargain like this, but I didn't like the idea of paying any unjustifiable money, that's it.
    Anyway, enough of my purchase-purana, let's come to the Hornet 160R. (will post the photos later)

    I have used Gixxer for couple of months, so I will try to review the Hornet by comparing it with the Gixxer.
    I don't know much about the technicalities of the bike, so please bear with me.


    ~ Looks ~

    I think this department shouldn't be a primary factor to 'judge' a bike, because what looks good to me, may not appeal to some other person.
    According to me, Hornet is a better eye candy than the Gixxer.
    The only thing I found more appealing in Gixxer is its exhaust.

    ~Handling~
    Gear shifting is buttery smooth in Hornet, but shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear is equally hard in both the bikes.
    Gixxer is a better performer at lower rave range.
    I don't know the exact term for this thing, but Gixxer can be driven at 4th gear even at lower speeds, whereas Hornet is not as peppier as Gixxer in this department.

    ~ Suspension ~
    At first, I felt the suspension of Hornet to be on a stiffer side.
    The bike was not absorbing the potholes well, but then I went to check the tyre pressure and found it to be too high in both the tyres.
    In the front tyre, it was 30 and in the rear it was 40.
    I changed it to 25 and 30 and it's all good now.
    To be honest, I haven't felt much difference in Gixxer and Hornet when it comes to suspension. Both are equally good.
    But the ground clearance is much much better in Hornet than the Gixxer

    ~ Braking ~
    Again, haven't noticed much of a difference between both these bikes.
    Both the bikes I used have only front disk.

    ~ Comfort ~
    This was one of my primary concerns while buying the bike.
    Hornet is undoubtedly more comfortable than Gixxer for both, the biker as well as the pillion. (specially a female pillion)

    ~ Mileage ~
    Haven't checked it yet.
    I will update this post after second servicing.


    Now I have some queries for the experts.

    1) Which is the ideal place to keep a cleaning cloth ?
    2) The horn sound is too low and doesn't suit the bike. Please recommend a good horn.
    3) The run-in period is too long. (500kms) I've completed 100kms, but it is too hard to be under 4,000RPM What will happen if I cross 4,000RPM ?
    4) Any other maintenance/performance tips you want to share ?
    AngadV, anoopkumar0 and mount9 like this.

    Be happy and a reason will come along !
    - Robert Brault

  10. #10
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Dilemma in decision making - Below 1 lakh

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpiritedBiker View Post
    It's been only two weeks and 100kms on ODO but still, I'm loving it !

    Bought the Hornet (Sports Red) on Gudhipadva, after a lot of verbal fight with two dealers.
    One dealer was quoting 5,000 Rs. more and the other dealer was asking for 7,000 Rs. more than the actual On-road price mentioned on Honda's website.
    When I complained this to Honda's customer care, they assured me that I do not need to pay even an extra penny.
    Some senior guy from main office had called the first dealer and perhaps asked him for the justification of this extra amount.
    Later in the day, I got a call from the same dealer.
    He was now saying that there was some confusion and I only need to pay 1400 Rs. extra.
    But I refused to pay this unjustifiable extra amount.

    Then I went to the second showroom.
    Here they were asking for 7,000 Rs. extra.
    I explained him the sequence of all the discussions (including the discussion with the first dealer), but he still refused to sell the bike at the actual price.
    I stood up from the chair and started to walk towards the exit and suddenly the showroom manager agreed to sell the bike for the price mentioned on Honda's website.

    I know Hornet is not some sabji-tarkari to bargain like this, but I didn't like the idea of paying any unjustifiable money, that's it.
    Anyway, enough of my purchase-purana, let's come to the Hornet 160R. (will post the photos later)

    I have used Gixxer for couple of months, so I will try to review the Hornet by comparing it with the Gixxer.
    I don't know much about the technicalities of the bike, so please bear with me.


    ~ Looks ~

    I think this department shouldn't be a primary factor to 'judge' a bike, because what looks good to me, may not appeal to some other person.
    According to me, Hornet is a better eye candy than the Gixxer.
    The only thing I found more appealing in Gixxer is its exhaust.

    ~Handling~
    Gear shifting is buttery smooth in Hornet, but shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear is equally hard in both the bikes.
    Gixxer is a better performer at lower rave range.
    I don't know the exact term for this thing, but Gixxer can be driven at 4th gear even at lower speeds, whereas Hornet is not as peppier as Gixxer in this department.

    ~ Suspension ~
    At first, I felt the suspension of Hornet to be on a stiffer side.
    The bike was not absorbing the potholes well, but then I went to check the tyre pressure and found it to be too high in both the tyres.
    In the front tyre, it was 30 and in the rear it was 40.
    I changed it to 25 and 30 and it's all good now.
    To be honest, I haven't felt much difference in Gixxer and Hornet when it comes to suspension. Both are equally good.
    But the ground clearance is much much better in Hornet than the Gixxer

    ~ Braking ~
    Again, haven't noticed much of a difference between both these bikes.
    Both the bikes I used have only front disk.

    ~ Comfort ~
    This was one of my primary concerns while buying the bike.
    Hornet is undoubtedly more comfortable than Gixxer for both, the biker as well as the pillion. (specially a female pillion)

    ~ Mileage ~
    Haven't checked it yet.
    I will update this post after second servicing.


    Now I have some queries for the experts.

    1) Which is the ideal place to keep a cleaning cloth?
    2) The horn sound is too low and doesn't suit the bike. Please recommend a good horn.
    3) The run-in period is too long. (500kms) I've completed 100kms, but it is too hard to be under 4,000RPM What will happen if I cross 4,000RPM ?
    4) Any other maintenance/performance tips you want to share ?
    I don't know anything about the Hornet really, but general running in procedures are the same for bikes. Even if you do exceed 4000 rpm occasionally, it won't affect your engine/performance etc. The only thing to be careful about is that you do not stay at a higher RPM for a longer period of time. Suppose, you touch 6000rpm for 5 seconds, it won't have any negative effect, just avoid staying at that higher RPM for say >30 seconds.
    Regarding maintenance, just google it, you'll find it
    The general basic points are ensuring you check air tyre pressure periodically(I forgot for a month and half once :P), make sure your chain is lubricated and has the correct tensioning, washing regularly(saw a new hornet at a petrol bunk today, looked real nice, so maintain that), check coolant level occasionally. Most other factors are taken care of by service centres.
    PS You write reviews well, I'd suggest you post this in the ownership thread, thats where people will see it and help you out for queries, over here few people would notice.

    Have fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please Help Me Make A Wise Decision..
    By Saurabh213 in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 12:47 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM
  3. Decision between Aviator 110c and new Dio
    By panthro in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 03:18 AM
  4. Bike in Range 1 Lakh to 1 Lakh 30000
    By POS in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 11:15 AM
  5. Yet Again: P200 DTS-I v/s ZMA - Decision Made!
    By drumster in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •