Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

T-shirt
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Practice slow-speed riding.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

  1. #1
    Dani Pedrosa #26 Fan hgps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gorakhpur/Lucknow
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Preowned superbike for 6.5L

    After thinking for almost an year, i have decided to buy myself a superbike before my responsibilities take over my desires.

    1. Budget : 6-6.5L (read below)
    2. Age : 26
    3. Height : 5 ft 10 inches
    4. Weight : 89 KG (slightly overweight)
    5. Intended usage : 80% occasional commute to office/restaurant (with pillion onboard), 15% solo city ride, 5% highway. (read below)
    6. City & Highway percentage usage : 50-50
    8. Approximate Daily / Monthly running : 200-400 KM per month


    I have decided to go for preowned route as nature of my work means i have to shift my location every 3-4 years. Buying a new bike and taking a huge hit on depreciation doesn't make sense right now. Being a newbie in my career, I'm also suffering from Vitamin M deficiency.

    Budget is 6-6.5L

    Usage will occasional office commute (once a week with my wife as pillion), restaurants in city that allows 40-60kph speed in city and 80-90 on highway. Strictly no touring.

    What do i want in a Sbk:
    1- Inline four sound (strictly no twins or triples)
    2- 0-100 kph acceleration, adrenaline rush (not interested in high speeds)
    3- Long term hassle free ownership (at least 4 Years).
    4- Although i will be doing all regular maintenance like oil, oil filter, air filter, brake pads etc. myself. Maintenance like fork rebuild, throttle bodies cleaning and sync or timing chain maintenance, valve clearance shouldn't be ridiculously expensive. I wont be able to digest a Rs.15,000-20,000 bill.
    5 - Must be able to run on RON91 petrol. I don't have access to high octane fuel.

    I saw some options and found these:

    1. CBR650F 2015-17
    likes: reliable, proper upgrade from CBR250R, pillion seat is comfortable for wife, runs on RON 91 fuel.
    Dislikes: sounds coarse even with aftermarket exhaust, Z800 is more powerful


    2. Z800 2014-17
    likes: sounds awesome, more power and torque for city
    dislikes: Requires RON95 fuel which I cant feed (engine damage?), uncomfortable seats, intimidating weight for my city usage, looks

    3. Benelli 600i
    likes: will save 1L+ if i pick this one, sounds awesome
    dislikes: weight, power delivery, image (Chinese)

    4. Ninja 1000
    likes: looks, liter class bragging rights, electronics
    dislikes: it IS heavy

    5. Z900
    likes: lightweight
    dislikes: looks, requires high octane fuel, heating issues (as per sales rep)


    Wish i had a budget to buy my dream bike 2008-16 CBR1000RR fireblade but right now this is all i can afford. I would have also considered a 2015+ ninja 1000 if it was (is it?) in my budget. I am not looking for street triples. 10-14 year old hayabusa/R1/fireblade look tempting, but lack of ABS and maintenance nightmares is keeping me away from them.


    I have NOT ridden any of these bikes and my opinion is formed by reading reviews only.

    Please suggest.
    Last edited by hgps; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:41 AM.
    There is no destination, I just want to keep riding.

    Honda CBR 650F / CBR 250R ABS Repsol (Sold) / Yamaha FZ-S

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,076
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    Thread approved.

  3. #3
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    In between the bikes you have selected I would pick the Z800 without even second thought, simple reason no replacement for displacement. Its the most powerful of the three , my second choice would be CBR then Benelli.

    But that being said I would recommend doing test ride before making a decision reason being it will give you a clear picture about what you like.

  4. #4
    Dani Pedrosa #26 Fan hgps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gorakhpur/Lucknow
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandamudi Mohan Krishna View Post
    In between the bikes you have selected I would pick the Z800 without even second thought, simple reason no replacement for displacement. Its the most powerful of the three , my second choice would be CBR then Benelli.

    But that being said I would recommend doing test ride before making a decision reason being it will give you a clear picture about what you like.
    Going for preowned route means i don't have luxury of test riding these bikes. only 2 major concerns with Z800 are its heavy weight for my intended usage (2up in city 50% of the time), and Possibility of engine damage with RON91 fuel.
    There is no destination, I just want to keep riding.

    Honda CBR 650F / CBR 250R ABS Repsol (Sold) / Yamaha FZ-S

  5. #5
    Rusted rachitkdogra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DLF Phase1, Gurgaon
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    Quote Originally Posted by hgps View Post
    Going for preowned route means i don't have luxury of test riding these bikes. only 2 major concerns with Z800 are its heavy weight for my intended usage (2up in city 50% of the time), and Possibility of engine damage with RON91 fuel.

    If pillion comfort is a criteria, than CBR650F is the best option.
    Also I dont think Z800 feels that heavy ride to in city vs lets say any other comparable bike. I am also not sure what you mean by possible damage to engine with 91RON fuel. Kawasaki themselves recommend 91 in India.

    Here is my tip, don't get too bogged down by the reviews.
    Go to the showrooms and ride the test ride bikes to get a feel for the bike. Will also help you benchmark the used ones you will be riding before purchase. Get the one which you feel most connected with.

    CHEERS!!
    Rachit
    hgps likes this.
    Rachit K Dogra

  6. #6
    Dani Pedrosa #26 Fan hgps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gorakhpur/Lucknow
    Posts
    336
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    Quote Originally Posted by rachitkdogra View Post
    If pillion comfort is a criteria, than CBR650F is the best option.
    Also I dont think Z800 feels that heavy ride to in city vs lets say any other comparable bike. I am also not sure what you mean by possible damage to engine with 91RON fuel. Kawasaki themselves recommend 91 in India.

    Here is my tip, don't get too bogged down by the reviews.
    Go to the showrooms and ride the test ride bikes to get a feel for the bike. Will also help you benchmark the used ones you will be riding before purchase. Get the one which you feel most connected with.

    CHEERS!!
    Rachit
    Thanks for your reply Rachit, have been following your thread ever since you bought your CBR650F, most informative CBR650F thread for sure. I never knew Kawasaki recommends RON91 on Z800, had seen a sticker on fuel thank that anything below RON95 will severely damage the engine.
    Why i am concerned about the weight is because CBR250 is the heaviest bike i have ridden so far. It feels heavy sometimes but i can manage just fine. I am concerned about possibility of dropping 231KG Z800 with my wife onboard and hurting her (am I overthinking?). Z900 makes a lot more sense here with its CBR650F like kerb weight but its way over my budget.
    Local showrooms are not allowing any test ride right now. Even if they did, both CBR650F and Z800 are now replaced by newer models. I won't be able to get the exact same feeling i am looking.
    Last edited by hgps; 05-23-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    There is no destination, I just want to keep riding.

    Honda CBR 650F / CBR 250R ABS Repsol (Sold) / Yamaha FZ-S

  7. #7
    Rusted Deathwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    1,402
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    Also the Z900 has a very low ground clearance soo if u have a plan to take a pillion, have a watch on that
    hgps likes this.

  8. #8
    Rusted
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    Quote Originally Posted by hgps View Post
    Going for preowned route means i don't have luxury of test riding these bikes. only 2 major concerns with Z800 are its heavy weight for my intended usage (2up in city 50% of the time), and Possibility of engine damage with RON91 fuel.
    I think this has been answered but here's the thing you should take test rides, if you can't get one from showrooms then you can make a weekend trip to places like Delhi , Bangalore etc where you can rent these bikes and try them for half a day so that will get you much bigger picture. It may sound bit extreme but you're paying 5+ lakhs you don't wanna have any doubts or regrets after spending the money.
    In my personal experience I have changed my mind many times just after test ride so for me its the most important part in bike selection.
    hgps likes this.

  9. #9
    Rusted Deathwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    1,402
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    I'd like to add another thing, the Honda is cheaper and easier to live with. The average cost of service is like 4-6k and chain sprocket cost is 5-6k just to give you a brief idea. Kawasaki is much more expensive btw.

  10. #10
    Rusted rachitkdogra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DLF Phase1, Gurgaon
    Posts
    818
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Preowned superbike for 5-5.5L

    Quote Originally Posted by hgps View Post
    Thanks for your reply Rachit, have been following your thread ever since you bought your CBR650F, most informative CBR650F thread for sure. I never knew Kawasaki recommends RON91 on Z800, had seen a sticker on fuel thank that anything below RON95 will severely damage the engine.
    Why i am concerned about the weight is because CBR250 is the heaviest bike i have ridden so far. It feels heavy sometimes but i can manage just fine. I am concerned about possibility of dropping 231KG Z800 with my wife onboard and hurting her (am I overthinking?). Z900 makes a lot more sense here with its CBR650F like kerb weight but its way over my budget.
    Local showrooms are not allowing any test ride right now. Even if they did, both CBR650F and Z800 are now replaced by newer models. I won't be able to get the exact same feeling i am looking.

    Thank you for your kind words brother!!

    Yeah, Honda and Kawasaki both recommend 91 RON even for their litre class bikes. Their fuel tanks also say above 95 RON only. I have tried to discuss this in details with Honda guys, but never got very satisfactory answer. They say, you will get issues in bikes like loosing compression etc with 97 RON. Maybe it is India specific fuel quality issue, I am not sure. I am using 93 RON.

    At slow speeds or when taking U-turns or pushing these bikes, all of them feel very heavy and scary. But once you are at move, I think you generally dont feel the weight that much. Also, whatever you will buy, you will get used to it, you will learn to maximize its use.

    Between Z800 and CBR650F, in my opinion weight is not that big of a difference. The difference is in being faired and not faired and the riding position. Unfortunately what works for you in this case is something that only you will be able to find once you ride.

    I think you should maybe start with test riding the used bikes that you are considering then. Any friend who owns a bigger bike? If yes, take him along for his advice if the bike feels ok. You might not be able to judge it riding it first time.

    Best of Luck!!

    Rachit
    Last edited by rachitkdogra; 05-23-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    cyborgk likes this.
    Rachit K Dogra

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My First superbike
    By Rinkesh Shah in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-23-2016, 08:07 PM
  2. Buying a preowned Pulsar 200NS
    By Sherl in forum What Bike?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM
  3. Which superbike?
    By Adnan Manna in forum Superbike And Imports
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 09:17 PM
  4. MTT Superbike
    By fasterthanthefastest in forum Superbike And Imports
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  5. Need info. on preowned Bullet prices.
    By indrajeet_thakur in forum Thumpers,2-Stroke And Exotics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •