Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Regularly check tyre pressures.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to xBhp Forums v2020

Welcome to 2020 Edition of the xBhp Forums . As you might have already noticed, the forums have undergone a major upgrade to keep up with the times. This will make the forums faster and intuitive and much more mobile friendly.

The basic functioning of the forum remains the same.

We are still tightening the loose nuts and bolts and it will take some time.

However, in case you are facing any issues or problems accessing the forums or posting here, please do let us know.

Any feedback/suggestions are also welcome!

You can post your suggestions on this thread itself!


https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/forum-a...s-2020-welcome
See more
See less

Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

    Hi,
    I am planning on doing a leh ladakh trip and need a tire set for the same for my duke 200.

    Current tires:
    Front-Metzeler Sportec M5 -110/70 R17
    Rear-Metzeler Sportec M7R -150/60 R17

    Better for some offroad options as these tires have some life left in them and I would be putting them back after completing leh circuit.

    i have looked at ralco and timsun. On of the riders who went suggested not to for Ceat. But suggestions are still welcome.
    My budget is to complete both within 7k. Possibly I can go upto 8k. But thats the maximum I can put right now. Hence please no suggestions for Pirelli and Michelin. Those are impossible for me.

    Also any dealers for Timsun in Chennai would be helpful. Not able to find any. thanks a lot.

  • #2
    Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

    Query approved.
    (Been There Done That) x 3.25

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

      Hello,timsun are good set as one of my friend from Bangalore has switched after pirelli's that came fitted with the bike and he is happy with its offroading capabilities,on the other hand if you really want something sturdy try your hands on mrf masseters,should come in cheaper comparatively.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

        Originally posted by Moshca View Post
        Hello,timsun are good set as one of my friend from Bangalore has switched after pirelli's that came fitted with the bike and he is happy with its offroading capabilities,on the other hand if you really want something sturdy try your hands on mrf masseters,should come in cheaper comparatively.

        Any dealers where I can buy them at a good quality and cheap price. Also can I get the dimensions please? Any timsun dealers in Chennai that you happen to know about?
        Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

          Originally posted by Karthik Endhiran View Post
          Any dealers where I can buy them at a good quality and cheap price. Also can I get the dimensions please? Any timsun dealers in Chennai that you happen to know about?
          Thanks
          Unfortunately,I can't help you with the dealers as I live in kanpur,but can confirm with my friend from Bangalore regarding timsun if you want,and I would suggest you go with the original dimensions of the tyre so that it doesn't affects the overall rideability and handling of the bike.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

            There's a thread just down the page from this one, asking about similar tires for the Duke 390. Check out some of Continental's dual-purpose tires, such as the Trail Attack and TKC70.
            ATGATT: All The Gear, All The Time!

            Current bike: Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

            Put the phone away, put your helmet on, and ride!

            Scooters are like fat girls: fun to ride, but embarrassing if your friends see you with one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

              Originally posted by Karthik Endhiran View Post
              Hi,
              I am planning on doing a leh ladakh trip and need a tire set for the same for my duke 200.

              Current tires:
              Front-Metzeler Sportec M5 -110/70 R17
              Rear-Metzeler Sportec M7R -150/60 R17

              Better for some offroad options as these tires have some life left in them and I would be putting them back after completing leh circuit.

              i have looked at ralco and timsun. On of the riders who went suggested not to for Ceat. But suggestions are still welcome.
              My budget is to complete both within 7k. Possibly I can go upto 8k. But thats the maximum I can put right now. Hence please no suggestions for Pirelli and Michelin. Those are impossible for me.

              Also any dealers for Timsun in Chennai would be helpful. Not able to find any. thanks a lot.
              front you can get the mrf revz fc1
              rear you could opt for timsun, and opt for a 140/70 size instead of the 150/60.. not only is it a bit cheaper it is also more apt for the d200 especially on bad roads. i doubt if any other manufacturer has a dual purpose tire with chunky treads. Ralco tires do have one but try for timsun first.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                Originally posted by s1d View Post
                front you can get the mrf revz fc1
                rear you could opt for timsun, and opt for a 140/70 size instead of the 150/60.. not only is it a bit cheaper it is also more apt for the d200 especially on bad roads. i doubt if any other manufacturer has a dual purpose tire with chunky treads. Ralco tires do have one but try for timsun first.
                Why MRF Rvz C F1? When its Leh, one should start imagining the roads, trails, no roads, mud, tarmac, corners, weight, stress levels, reliability and so much more! We can't get dual purpose tyres, they will bump on tarmac, no cornering possible.
                Understand what you need, analyze, test and then take a decision.
                Its you and your bike, take suggestions but, make your own decision.
                Tumsum? Good, VFM, 8k you can get both sets. Works wonders on mud and sand. No leaning though.
                MRF Masseter? Another great set of tyres with aggressive pricing. Recently tested 140 sections on P220 on Leh Ladakh stretch with FX1 up front. Endured everything.
                What you need is a dual purpose set of tyres, something which will slice you through the nature's terrain and won't hold you back on the open roads.

                Explore a few more options, look at deep treads, strong but agile compounds, higher side walls, as someone in this thread rightfully mentioned, use 140 sections, raise the aide walls, you will cut through terrains easily, will give edge and agility in moving your bike.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                  Originally posted by Hunterkol View Post
                  Why MRF Rvz C F1? When its Leh, one should start imagining the roads, trails, no roads, mud, tarmac, corners, weight, stress levels, reliability and so much more! We can't get dual purpose tyres, they will bump on tarmac, no cornering possible.
                  Understand what you need, analyze, test and then take a decision.
                  Its you and your bike, take suggestions but, make your own decision.
                  Tumsum? Good, VFM, 8k you can get both sets. Works wonders on mud and sand. No leaning though.
                  MRF Masseter? Another great set of tyres with aggressive pricing. Recently tested 140 sections on P220 on Leh Ladakh stretch with FX1 up front. Endured everything.
                  What you need is a dual purpose set of tyres, something which will slice you through the nature's terrain and won't hold you back on the open roads.

                  Explore a few more options, look at deep treads, strong but agile compounds, higher side walls, as someone in this thread rightfully mentioned, use 140 sections, raise the aide walls, you will cut through terrains easily, will give edge and agility in moving your bike.
                  Why not revz fc1 at the front when you say a masseter is fine at the rear? Both are essentially similar sticky compound tires, with a difference being one is a radial the other isn't (the reason why the masseter probably doesn't come in 110/70 and 150/60 is because this size already exists in the revz c series) I know a couple of folks who did leh on the stock metz too without issues.. and the numerous other folks who do it on bullets etc.. with normal stock road tires.

                  the fc1 is a good tire that resists punctures and at the same time doesn't affect front end handling and provides good grip (and a price of sub 3k) this combined with a dual purpose tire from timsun in 140 at rear would be a good choice with some good traction at the rear to get out of some slushy terrain, and the same tire can continued to be used on road for daily driving.
                  Going too specific for 'off road' tires is unnecessary unless the rider is serious about offroading/has a budget/a bike purpose built or owned solely for doing off roading.. otherwise not worth spending too much for tires on leh trip.
                  More important is having the bike mechanically sound and as well as the rider being physically and mentally prepared to take on the high altitude and weather.
                  @Karthik Endhiran in case you haven't seen this:
                  http://timsun.in/size/

                  take a look at ts 822 or 659a for rear and the various choices in 110/70 for rear (823 or 659a might be more apt in case you dont want to get the mrf).. prices on par with mrf for front
                  Last edited by s1d; 08-29-2018, 06:57 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                    Originally posted by s1d View Post
                    Why not revz fc1 at the front when you say a masseter is fine at the rear? Both are essentially similar sticky compound tires, with a difference being one is a radial the other isn't (the reason why the masseter probably doesn't come in 110/70 and 150/60 is because this size already exists in the revz c series)
                    Front Masseter is available in 110 section. Earlier I have also used FC1 with rear masseter, worked fine for me. But with both masseter at front and rear, feedback is increased.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                      Originally posted by Chandan92 View Post
                      Front Masseter is available in 110 section. Earlier I have also used FC1 with rear masseter, worked fine for me. But with both masseter at front and rear, feedback is increased.
                      110/70 is available in the masseter range ? Never come across this.. care to post a pic of it ?
                      Was just browsing on mrf website and noticed that there are two masseters in 140/70.. one called masseter-x and another masseter-x mct - I wonder what the difference is.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                        Originally posted by s1d View Post
                        110/70 is available in the masseter range ? Never come across this.. care to post a pic of it ?
                        Was just browsing on mrf website and noticed that there are two masseters in 140/70.. one called masseter-x and another masseter-x mct - I wonder what the difference is.
                        Yes sure, posting couple of pics.

                        i would say poor marketing by MRF, even their dealers and employees don't know MRF have started dispatching this tyre.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	373E1540-C399-46F4-BEE6-237C26C07EBD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1961294

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	E5A7201E-EA8A-4620-8AFC-F5569C8F3E53.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1961295

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                          Originally posted by Chandan92 View Post
                          Yes sure, posting couple of pics.

                          i would say poor marketing by MRF, even their dealers and employees don't know MRF have started dispatching this tyre.
                          nice man.. how much did this cost you ?
                          and yeh, tire companies hardly seem to bother with providing updated info on their websites or via their dealers (especially smaller retailers)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                            Originally posted by s1d View Post
                            I wonder what the difference is.
                            Apparently MCT is multi compound technology as you can see below. It's slightly costlier than the normal masseter.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Tyres for Duke 200 for Leh

                              Originally posted by s1d View Post
                              nice man.. how much did this cost you ?
                              )
                              It costed me around ₹2400/-.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X