Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Look further to stay alive.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to xBhp Forums v2020

Welcome to 2020 Edition of the xBhp Forums . As you might have already noticed, the forums have undergone a major upgrade to keep up with the times. This will make the forums faster and intuitive and much more mobile friendly.

The basic functioning of the forum remains the same.

We are still tightening the loose nuts and bolts and it will take some time.

However, in case you are facing any issues or problems accessing the forums or posting here, please do let us know.

Any feedback/suggestions are also welcome!

You can post your suggestions on this thread itself!


https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/forum-a...s-2020-welcome
See more
See less

Upgrading from 100cc world

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgrading from 100cc world

    Hi Everyone,

    I am very happy to start my first thread here in xbhp.com. Its a great place . I am basically a bike lover, though I have owned only a single bike so far (TVS victor GL), I have been a nutter for bikes and been following all the new releases and happily test driving them and penning reviews. I have always enjoyed it. Situation got different when I decided to upgrade myself from my 110 cc bike ( I still love it, I used to to minor stunts and wheelies even in that ) as its getting older and will be touching two digit age soon.

    I am 6ft 1in tall and around 80kg, tall and slim looking guy, and I want a bike to to daily commute and do occational highway rides (not long trips though) and bit of offroading if possible). Beleive it or not I have done all these in my victor itself now . Also since I have gone up in pay scales, I can offord up to a good 1.5l -2l on my new bike which I am going to be using for next decade.

    I have been following all new releases and first thing caught my imagination is the Hero Impulse. A new attempt to create a new segment. The fully functional shocks will ease the bad road driving a lot. The price was ok, only issue was the front fender. Riding this one in rainy season will be colorful, so I would need a fix there if I want to take it to office.

    When I was reading the reviews on this one, a friend suggest get my head a bit in to RE bikes as my price range would suit in that world. I love bullets always but somehow never thought I would buy one as I was skeptical about the technology it uses. How ever offlate I found that they have a much better engine now and the sales is promising then I decided to pay a visit. The initial test drive with a CL500 didnt go well. I didnt like the vibration, noise and handling. It was a nightmare for a guy who likes to ride the bike without much effort and enjoy sneaking through cars in traffic. However I liked TBTS and good old bullet they were much better in handling.

    With the great comfort feel TBTS gave I decided to checkout for other cruisers out there in the market. There was only one 'Avenger' from bajaj, other than all those imported stuff those cost like a car. I did a test drive too, handling and comfort was much better than TBTS and looks were simply great, I thought except the power the TBTS has to lose to Avenger in all perspectives. But, I found that this has the pulsar 220 engine which is not doing great in reviews, for that matter non of the first gen pulsar engines.

    Hence rejected it from my list, I wanted to have another test drive with RE. This time I was lucky to get on to a CL350. This was much better on NVH levels compared to a CL500. The gear shifting was spot on were the CL500 I found false neutrals every now and then. Then realized its a machine to machine issue not a generic one. Know what, I just booked a CL350 the same day as the waiting period is 9 months, I will have enough time to explore others.

    Couple of days back the pulsar 200ns hit the news and looked at the reviews and its looking great and promising. I am yet to do a road test.

    So thats my story, I would like to request the great minds here to advice me on choosing one from these list .

    1. Impulse - good handling, and very comfortable, no waiting.
    2. CL350 - Its an RE, Great looks, but long waiting.
    3. NS200 - Promising reviews, great looks. price and waiting period unknown.

    I will be using this bike for a decade from now and will be using for day to day commute and week end leisure rides.
    31
    Impulse
    19.35%
    6
    Classic 350
    16.13%
    5
    Pulsar 200NS
    64.52%
    20

    The poll is expired.

    Its crime to ride a car alone, so I ride bike :).

    0 to 100 in 9.63 secs - Machine Name : Usain Bolt :)

  • #2
    What Bike Query Approved
    Advice is a form of nostalgia.
    Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

    Antz Travelz!! | South India Exploration Ride | Leh Triplog (Work in progress)

    Comment


    • #3
      If you have off-roading on your mind, its the Impulse. And it does the other jobs well too!

      If its 'keeping for a decade' I would say the Impulse again! That engine will last for sure....its that good!

      Good luck!
      "Live and let live"

      sigpic

      Find GEARS @http://www.facebook.com/GEARS.Goa

      Comment


      • #4
        if you are going to keep it for a decade buy the latest you can afford,if it is commuting ,have a look at p200 ns,cbr 250r.
        and the question remains why do i race?
        every finishing line is the begining of a new race.

        #i have learnt to manipulate my own adrenaline and the perception of biking is different.
        #overkill is underrated.
        #how random roads may appear there is always a destination.sigpic
        #i don't subscribe to co-incidence,either it is the rider or the other moron on the road

        (:)people keeps on saying add spark to life, bajaj got hold of that idea and added an extra spark to bike.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by joeantony View Post
          Hi Everyone,

          I thought except the power the TBTS has to lose to Avenger in all perspectives. But, I found that this has the pulsar 220 engine which is not doing great in reviews, for that matter non of the first gen pulsar engines.

          Hence rejected it from my list,
          Awenger ??? issues with engine ??? never heard ot it ever..... It has the legendary P220cc engine and this carb engine has proved itelf fro yrs now. yes but can't be kept for decades. But awenger is a nice bike!!

          Originally posted by joeantony View Post
          I wanted to have another test drive with RE. This time I was lucky to get on to a CL350. This was much better on NVH levels compared to a CL500. The gear shifting was spot on were the CL500 I found false neutrals every now and then. Then realized its a machine to machine issue not a generic one. Know what, I just booked a CL350 the same day as the waiting period is 9 months, I will have enough time to explore others.
          None of the REs are good in traffic, you can sweep through the traffic as you do with your 110cc bike.

          Originally posted by joeantony View Post
          Couple of days back the pulsar 200ns hit the news and looked at the reviews and its looking great and promising. I am yet to do a road test.

          1. Impulse - good handling, and very comfortable, no waiting.
          2. CL350 - Its an RE, Great looks, but long waiting.
          3. NS200 - Promising reviews, great looks. price and waiting period unknown.

          I will be using this bike for a decade from now and will be using for day to day commute and week end leisure rides.
          From your list above i guess NS200 is best option you have. As it's huge tall bike so would suit you best as 6 ft tall.

          It has new technology and less costly spares as it is Bajaj.

          If you maintain it it will last more than a decades. And it's very different than old pulsar series in all aspects.

          RE CL350 is for real need persons. Once a person booked RE he won't see anywhere else. RE has some virus which is very contegious. But surely you can't Zig Zac through traffics.

          NS200 is with approx 1L and waiting is not muh only mere 1 month max. So start thinking.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by somen1984 View Post
            From your list above i guess NS200 is best option you have. As it's huge tall bike so would suit you best as 6 ft tall.

            It has new technology and less costly spares as it is Bajaj.

            If you maintain it it will last more than a decades. And it's very different than old pulsar series in all aspects.
            Thanks somen, thats exactly what I thought. As this is totally a new engine different from first gen pulsars, I need to consider is seriously. I would have liked it more if it carried the name just NS200. some how dont like the name 'pulsar' .
            Its crime to ride a car alone, so I ride bike :).

            0 to 100 in 9.63 secs - Machine Name : Usain Bolt :)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by joeantony View Post
              Hi Everyone,

              I am very happy to start my first thread here in xbhp.com. Its a great place . I am basically a bike lover, though I have owned only a single bike so far (TVS victor GL), I have been a nutter for bikes and been following all the new releases and happily test driving them and penning reviews. I have always enjoyed it. Situation got different when I decided to upgrade myself from my 110 cc bike ( I still love it, I used to to minor stunts and wheelies even in that ) as its getting older and will be touching two digit age soon.

              I am 6ft 1in tall and around 80kg, tall and slim looking guy, and I want a bike to to daily commute and do occational highway rides (not long trips though) and bit of offroading if possible). Beleive it or not I have done all these in my victor itself now . Also since I have gone up in pay scales, I can offord up to a good 1.5l -2l on my new bike which I am going to be using for next decade.

              I have been following all new releases and first thing caught my imagination is the Hero Impulse. A new attempt to create a new segment. The fully functional shocks will ease the bad road driving a lot. The price was ok, only issue was the front fender. Riding this one in rainy season will be colorful, so I would need a fix there if I want to take it to office.

              When I was reading the reviews on this one, a friend suggest get my head a bit in to RE bikes as my price range would suit in that world. I love bullets always but somehow never thought I would buy one as I was skeptical about the technology it uses. How ever offlate I found that they have a much better engine now and the sales is promising then I decided to pay a visit. The initial test drive with a CL500 didnt go well. I didnt like the vibration, noise and handling. It was a nightmare for a guy who likes to ride the bike without much effort and enjoy sneaking through cars in traffic. However I liked TBTS and good old bullet they were much better in handling.

              Better TD the Cl500 again but with a different bike i own a TBTS and have ridden the CL500 its definetly one heck of a bike. The vibrations are an issue but only at the beginning you'll get used to it.

              With the great comfort feel TBTS gave I decided to checkout for other cruisers out there in the market. There was only one 'Avenger' from bajaj, other than all those imported stuff those cost like a car. I did a test drive too, handling and comfort was much better than TBTS and looks were simply great, I thought except the power the TBTS has to lose to Avenger in all perspectives. But, I found that this has the pulsar 220 engine which is not doing great in reviews, for that matter non of the first gen pulsar engines.

              I have ridden both the avvy and TBTS both have different characteristics(in terms of engine) the TBTS is slow and steady kind whereas avvy races ahead.
              I've checked both the bikes performance @ different speeds the avenger scores more here. But do have a look the the Torque of the TBTS it does matter. Avenger has 17.2Nm@7k rpm and Tbts has 28Nm@4k Rpm.



              Hence rejected it from my list, I wanted to have another test drive with RE. This time I was lucky to get on to a CL350. This was much better on NVH levels compared to a CL500. The gear shifting was spot on were the CL500 I found false neutrals every now and then. Then realized its a machine to machine issue not a generic one. Know what, I just booked a CL350 the same day as the waiting period is 9 months, I will have enough time to explore others.

              Couple of days back the pulsar 200ns hit the news and looked at the reviews and its looking great and promising. I am yet to do a road test.

              So thats my story, I would like to request the great minds here to advice me on choosing one from these list .

              1. Impulse - good handling, and very comfortable, no waiting.
              2. CL350 - Its an RE, Great looks, but long waiting.
              3. NS200 - Promising reviews, great looks. price and waiting period unknown.

              I will be using this bike for a decade from now and will be using for day to day commute and week end leisure rides.
              Since you'll be using for commuting purpose i suggest NS200. Its New , it has more power for you're weekend rides.
              TD before buying.
              There ain't no devil, ther'e just God when he's drunk.

              Bangalore - Dhanushkodi - Kanyakumari - Bangalore - 4 Days - 1720 kms

              http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/3...nyakumari.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by joeantony View Post
                Thanks somen, thats exactly what I thought. As this is totally a new engine different from first gen pulsars, I need to consider is seriously. I would have liked it more if it carried the name just NS200. some how dont like the name 'pulsar' .
                Don't worry Pulsar is one of the famous brand, which won't let people down. If it would have been a FI engine then might have to wait for the performance and real reviews. But as it's only carb engine. this will be best! no need to worry!! 200NS Rocks!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Adding the duke

                  After wandering here in the forum, I though I should add the KTM duke 200 also . What do you guys think?
                  Its crime to ride a car alone, so I ride bike :).

                  0 to 100 in 9.63 secs - Machine Name : Usain Bolt :)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pulsar 200 is a good buy.. however, if you have the budget then i would suggest you a KTM Duke.. it is a mean machine, a very good street fighter, DOHC 4 valve Engine compared to SOHC of the 200NS. As per the ownership report, it will give mileage of anywhere between 32-40 kmpl depending on your riding style. But the suspension is stiff and if you like to do very long commutes then may strain your back.

                    Alternatively, if you don't have any problem owning a 2nd hand sparingly used ride then i would recommend checking out news of Ninja 250Rs for sale. Some of them are owned for 2 years by a single owner with just 3000 kms on the odo (mainly taken out for weekend rides) and maintained like crazy.. are available for around 2-2.2 lakhs. Kawasaki has a bullet proof engine and the build quality is top notch. The service intervals are also quite long; 5000 kms or more. Mileage wise: expect 25-27 kmpl, one of the users from ownership thread has reported upto 40 kmpl under ideal riding conditions!! Parts are expensive but then you have the joy and the snob value of owning a green demon .


                    Hope this helps,


                    Cheers,
                    Last edited by shv18; 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM.
                    A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by joeantony View Post
                      After wandering here in the forum, I though I should add the KTM duke 200 also . What do you guys think?
                      Friend finalise your segment first .... a commuter?? a street bike??? or a Crusier ??? or a offroader ??

                      KTM is nice but please fgo through the KTM ownership thread. get everything white and black then decide for KTM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by somen1984 View Post
                        Friend finalise your segment first .... a commuter?? a street bike??? or a Crusier ??? or a offroader ??

                        KTM is nice but please fgo through the KTM ownership thread. get everything white and black then decide for KTM.
                        Right Somen, I need to first get settled with a segment, which is what getting complicated for me ... , If I had lot of money I would have bought the best in each one of it .

                        Yea, I went through the thread... though there is lot of hyper zeal expressed, there are loads of issue also cried about it, and even someone is selling it just below 1k clocking . I think for me it would be too risky elevation from a victor. I will be test driving the ns 200 today or tomorrow, then I will be in a perfect position to take a call... and have to stick to it with out any more confusions or temptations
                        Its crime to ride a car alone, so I ride bike :).

                        0 to 100 in 9.63 secs - Machine Name : Usain Bolt :)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by joeantony View Post
                          Right Somen, I need to first get settled with a segment, which is what getting complicated for me ... , If I had lot of money I would have bought the best in each one of it .

                          Yea, I went through the thread... though there is lot of hyper zeal expressed, there are loads of issue also cried about it, and even someone is selling it just below 1k clocking . I think for me it would be too risky elevation from a victor. I will be test driving the ns 200 today or tomorrow, then I will be in a perfect position to take a call... and have to stick to it with out any more confusions or temptations
                          I'd still recommend that you atleast test ride the KTM. The look and feel of the bike is probably unmatched and you always... I repeat.. always will look for an excuse to take it for a spin.
                          I haven't ridden or seen the Pulsar 200NS as yet so will refrain from commenting on that. However, since Bajaj manufactures both the bikes but still prices them almost 20/30k rupees apart you might be interested in finding out the reason.

                          P.S - I'm a KTM Duke owner so this is probably a very biased comment
                          Live to ride.. ride to forget..


                          Ignorance is an excuse, stupidity isn't

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by joeantony View Post
                            Right Somen, I need to first get settled with a segment, which is what getting complicated for me ... , If I had lot of money I would have bought the best in each one of it .

                            Yea, I went through the thread... though there is lot of hyper zeal expressed, there are loads of issue also cried about it, and even someone is selling it just below 1k clocking . I think for me it would be too risky elevation from a victor. I will be test driving the ns 200 today or tomorrow, then I will be in a perfect position to take a call... and have to stick to it with out any more confusions or temptations
                            You mentioned RE / NS200 / Duke. IN todays day today secnario.

                            NS200 would be anytime a btter buy than Duke.

                            Because it has less bhp than Duke which will give little better average then Duke average would be approx 35kmpl to 45kmpl as bajaj focuses on average more than anything. 200 CC Torque won't be an issue ever.

                            It's cheap than Duke by 30k, Maintenance would be too little cheap than Duke. Duke is pure speed demon with power! a KTM product.

                            NS200 would be anytime better for indiand roads and maintenance.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ns200 is not here yet

                              I went to Jai bajaj adyar showroom here in chennai, and they said the vehicle didnt arrive yet, and it may take a month . This is a premier show room here in chennai where you got probiking alongside.
                              Its crime to ride a car alone, so I ride bike :).

                              0 to 100 in 9.63 secs - Machine Name : Usain Bolt :)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X