Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Squeeze that brake, don’t grat a handful.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to xBhp Forums v2020

Welcome to 2020 Edition of the xBhp Forums . As you might have already noticed, the forums have undergone a major upgrade to keep up with the times. This will make the forums faster and intuitive and much more mobile friendly.

The basic functioning of the forum remains the same.

We are still tightening the loose nuts and bolts and it will take some time.

However, in case you are facing any issues or problems accessing the forums or posting here, please do let us know.

Any feedback/suggestions are also welcome!

You can post your suggestions on this thread itself!


https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/forum-a...s-2020-welcome
See more
See less

Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

    Hi Frens,

    this is anand from chennai.... i would like to modify my (first bike) Pulsar 150dtsi (2003) not so weird but simple. I need all your suggestions regarding the mods and if possible refer me a best mechanic in chennai. i will post the pics of my bike in next thread ...


    Thanks in advance

  • #2
    Query Approved and Moved

    Welcome to xBhp
    The Wheel was a great invention; Two Wheels with a Motor in between was even better!


    BMW Motorrad Days 2011

    Xbhp's Indo-French Kashmir-Ladakh Tour

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

      Hi all,

      Just like the op, even i want to modify my Pulsar 150 (2006). It would be great if you guys can give some inputs on it.

      I saw the new CBR250r Repsol edition and was simply blown away by it. Is it possible to get a full fairing Repsol body kit for my pulsar (complete with the tails light and everything)?

      Also on the performance end, i was thinking to go for a bore and a oversize piston and K&N filters.

      Could you guys give some info on this?

      Regards

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

        Originally posted by TBTS-350 View Post
        Hi all,

        Just like the op, even i want to modify my Pulsar 150 (2006). It would be great if you guys can give some inputs on it.

        I saw the new CBR250r Repsol edition and was simply blown away by it. Is it possible to get a full fairing Repsol body kit for my pulsar (complete with the tails light and everything)?

        Also on the performance end, i was thinking to go for a bore and a oversize piston and K&N filters.

        Could you guys give some info on this?

        Regards
        With all due respect, why don't you save some cash and then trade your P150 for a repsol Honda 250?
        Because:

        1. The panels won't be a direct fit. Indian "jugaad" scheme won't work for long.
        2. The big bore kit may not last you many kms. As I see, there are a lot of complaints with hot rodded machines. Also, just a big bore won't do, you'd have to change all related engine internals to ensure that you atleast run a few thousand kms.
        3. Avoid K&N/Simota/any non OE filter for that matter if you want the engine to stay healthy.
        4. You'd need fatter tires too to compliment the fairing (if it somehow is made to fit)
        5. Electricals "may" have to be changed.

        I see you spending a good 30-40k here with no guarantee on the reliability. (Any hot rodding kit for that matter)
        Save cash, sell your ageing steed and get a new one. A repsol CBR
        Got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.
        Because everyone who passes, isn't a martyr!

        Bullet Service Guide CBR 250R Parts Manual Fz16 service manual - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-...VFQmJzakk/view
        Hero Moto Corp Bikes' Parts RE STD 350 Wiring Diagram (CI) Service Manual - Classic 350/500
        ZMR parts - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U...it?usp=sharing
        P200NS Spares' prices - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...taGd5R2c#gid=0

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

          Originally posted by Divya Sharan View Post
          With all due respect, why don't you save some cash and then trade your P150 for a repsol Honda 250?
          Because:

          1. The panels won't be a direct fit. Indian "jugaad" scheme won't work for long.
          2. The big bore kit may not last you many kms. As I see, there are a lot of complaints with hot rodded machines. Also, just a big bore won't do, you'd have to change all related engine internals to ensure that you atleast run a few thousand kms.
          3. Avoid K&N/Simota/any non OE filter for that matter if you want the engine to stay healthy.
          4. You'd need fatter tires too to compliment the fairing (if it somehow is made to fit)
          5. Electricals "may" have to be changed.

          I see you spending a good 30-40k here with no guarantee on the reliability. (Any hot rodding kit for that matter)
          Save cash, sell your ageing steed and get a new one. A repsol CBR
          Hi Divya,

          Actually, speaking logically you are absolutely right. I should just dump the idea of the Modification and just get a new 250, but you see, i was in a dilemma about some time back and i was stuck to decide between the TBTS 500 and the CBR 250R, however, as the looks of the TBTS appealed a lot more to me, plus i wanted a long distance cruiser experience, i went ahead and bought the Thunderbird 500 and am very very satisfied with my decision.

          However, the respol still roams in my mind at times and i dream if i could have had the TBTS as well as the CBR Respol. But alas, i don have sooo much Moolah, if i did, i would have bought a car :P

          Now, that i have the TBTS, i want to convert my pre-historic 150 into a center of attention kind of thing on the road. The performance may or may not be there. I can do without it. But i was thinking of making it into a showpiece on the road :P

          What are your inputs?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

            Originally posted by TBTS-350 View Post
            Now, that i have the TBTS, i want to convert my pre-historic 150 into a center of attention kind of thing on the road. The performance may or may not be there. I can do without it. But i was thinking of making it into a showpiece on the road :P

            What are your inputs?
            I thought you had TBTS 350 going by your handle.
            Now, I have seen people fitting R15's fairing on Pulsars too. But that costs 17k alone. I guess CBR's maybe a little cheaper or around the same money.

            Rather, grab a few rattle cans and fine grit sandpaper stuff. Sand your exhaust and spray it matte black or grey (assuming you have a black Pulsar, else you'd have to go to the RTO informing about color change).
            Similarly, your tank can be taken care of.

            Plonk a sensible 4300k HID + projector setup. (not the 8000k ones)
            You may upsize to a 120mm (not 130) tyre at the rear at the cost of mileage.
            Get your alloys painted into dirty golden shade. (again assuming you have a black pulsar).

            Have your bike serviced and washed + detailed regularly. I bet it'll be darn good to watch it on the streets/highways/hills alike.
            Got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.
            Because everyone who passes, isn't a martyr!

            Bullet Service Guide CBR 250R Parts Manual Fz16 service manual - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-...VFQmJzakk/view
            Hero Moto Corp Bikes' Parts RE STD 350 Wiring Diagram (CI) Service Manual - Classic 350/500
            ZMR parts - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U...it?usp=sharing
            P200NS Spares' prices - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...taGd5R2c#gid=0

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

              Originally posted by Divya Sharan View Post
              I thought you had TBTS 350 going by your handle.
              Now, I have seen people fitting R15's fairing on Pulsars too. But that costs 17k alone. I guess CBR's maybe a little cheaper or around the same money.

              Rather, grab a few rattle cans and fine grit sandpaper stuff. Sand your exhaust and spray it matte black or grey (assuming you have a black Pulsar, else you'd have to go to the RTO informing about color change).
              Similarly, your tank can be taken care of.

              Plonk a sensible 4300k HID + projector setup. (not the 8000k ones)
              You may upsize to a 120mm (not 130) tyre at the rear at the cost of mileage.
              Get your alloys painted into dirty golden shade. (again assuming you have a black pulsar).

              Have your bike serviced and washed + detailed regularly. I bet it'll be darn good to watch it on the streets/highways/hills alike.
              Ehh.. 2003 pulsars never came up with Alloy wheels..

              @TS..

              well.. I am not sure if this is a good idea and I don't think the fairings of the CBR will suit.. what you can do is.. get the headlight assembly of the CBR and get a custom made fairing and other body parts of the CBR from an expert (so that it fits better along with the tank of your bike and the chassis (note that the CBR has monoshocks at the rear so the chassis might not support properly if you are going for the OE of CBR..

              Think wise

              Cheers,
              Reneav
              Splendor - 2k to 2006
              Karizma - 2k3 to 2009
              P180 - 2k6 to 2k9
              Hunk - Oct 2k7 til now
              ZMR - 2010 to Forever
              RX135(2k) - 2013 to 2018
              Ninja 250R (2010) - 2016 til now
              RayZ - 2015 til now
              Ninja 650 (2014) - 2017 til now


              Delhi to Narkanda
              Delhi to Coimbatore
              Delhi to Nepal

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                Originally posted by rreneav1987 View Post
                Ehh.. 2003 pulsars never came up with Alloy wheels..
                Mr TBTS can buy alloy rims saar. Pulsar rims aren't very costly. Same ones are used in the Discover range too.

                @TS..

                well.. I am not sure if this is a good idea and I don't think the fairings of the CBR will suit.. what you can do is.. blah blah..
                Bad idea.
                Got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.
                Because everyone who passes, isn't a martyr!

                Bullet Service Guide CBR 250R Parts Manual Fz16 service manual - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-...VFQmJzakk/view
                Hero Moto Corp Bikes' Parts RE STD 350 Wiring Diagram (CI) Service Manual - Classic 350/500
                ZMR parts - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U...it?usp=sharing
                P200NS Spares' prices - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...taGd5R2c#gid=0

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                  Originally posted by Divya Sharan View Post
                  Mr TBTS can buy alloy rims saar. Pulsar rims aren't very costly. Same ones are used in the Discover range too.
                  Hey mine is a 2006 Pulsar, it has alloy wheels but analog meter.

                  I Have seen many custom made bikes (pulsars) with custom fairings. (Not specifically of any other bike) So can the local mechanic walla put on a custom fairing? If yes, what will be the approx price.

                  Plus, i had ridden the New R15 V2, i like the aggressive stance and esp the handle bar. Is there a possiblity to get similar ergonomics on mine with modification?

                  ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                  Originally posted by Divya Sharan View Post
                  I thought you had TBTS 350 going by your handle.
                  Yeah i changed my model between booking, but couldn't change the username :P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                    Originally posted by Divya Sharan View Post
                    Bad idea.
                    any mods to a bike is always a bad idea.. especially when trying to fit a CBR fairing to a Pulsar.. so when you have a bad idea in your mind.. make it a better bad idea than making it worse :biggrin..

                    Originally posted by TBTS-350 View Post
                    Hey mine is a 2006 Pulsar, it has alloy wheels but analog meter.

                    I Have seen many custom made bikes (pulsars) with custom fairings. (Not specifically of any other bike) So can the local mechanic walla put on a custom fairing? If yes, what will be the approx price.

                    Plus, i had ridden the New R15 V2, i like the aggressive stance and esp the handle bar. Is there a possiblity to get similar ergonomics on mine with modification?
                    oops. my bad.. sorry mate I actually read the first post and had that in mind..

                    now.. coming to the custom made fairings.. it depends on the quality of material being used.. i have seen almost perfect custom fairings and at the same time.. horrible custom made fairings..

                    but keep in mind that the Pulsar 150 is an air cooled engine and by not directing air to cool the engine, its gonna heat up like hell..

                    the cost of custom fairings will cost you not more than 5000/- (not too good quality) and around 8000/- (good quality) also in case you plan to do a custom made.. get proper painting done.. else its gonna fade off in couple of months and that will make it look horrible..

                    check up with Honda on how much the fairing will cost you and then decide whether to go for the custom made.. (it can go either way.. bad and good so the choice is yours)
                    Splendor - 2k to 2006
                    Karizma - 2k3 to 2009
                    P180 - 2k6 to 2k9
                    Hunk - Oct 2k7 til now
                    ZMR - 2010 to Forever
                    RX135(2k) - 2013 to 2018
                    Ninja 250R (2010) - 2016 til now
                    RayZ - 2015 til now
                    Ninja 650 (2014) - 2017 til now


                    Delhi to Narkanda
                    Delhi to Coimbatore
                    Delhi to Nepal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                      Originally posted by TBTS-350 View Post
                      I Have seen many custom made bikes (pulsars) with custom fairings. (Not specifically of any other bike) So can the local mechanic walla put on a custom fairing? If yes, what will be the approx price.

                      Plus, i had ridden the New R15 V2, i like the aggressive stance and esp the handle bar. Is there a possiblity to get similar ergonomics on mine with modification?
                      Yes, I have seen customised fairing panels in Pondicherry too. (I have been living in South for 7 years, don't remember North much )

                      The thing is, a tom-dick-harry kind of a mech won't be able to do that. You need to visit a professional.
                      So, say you spend 8-10k on the fairing, 2-3k on a good paintjob. What happens after an accident? Will you take the pain to get a custom one done again?

                      Think from all angles.

                      EDIT: Regarding the handlebars, yes I guess you can fit the DTSi200/DTS Fi 220 clip ons on your bike.
                      Got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.
                      Because everyone who passes, isn't a martyr!

                      Bullet Service Guide CBR 250R Parts Manual Fz16 service manual - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-...VFQmJzakk/view
                      Hero Moto Corp Bikes' Parts RE STD 350 Wiring Diagram (CI) Service Manual - Classic 350/500
                      ZMR parts - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U...it?usp=sharing
                      P200NS Spares' prices - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...taGd5R2c#gid=0

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                        Originally posted by TBTS-350 View Post
                        Hey mine is a 2006 Pulsar, it has alloy wheels but analog meter.

                        I Have seen many custom made bikes (pulsars) with custom fairings. (Not specifically of any other bike) So can the local mechanic walla put on a custom fairing? If yes, what will be the approx price.

                        Plus, i had ridden the New R15 V2, i like the aggressive stance and esp the handle bar. Is there a possiblity to get similar ergonomics on mine with modification?
                        Dear TBTS-350,

                        Forget installing fairing! It is a very bad idea. Your bike is Air cooled and needs air to cool down. Imagine if you were to install Bane's mask just because it looked cool on your mouth and you had trouble breathing. The same thing applies to your bike. If you want better performance I would say sell this bike and use the money from selling and the money you would like to spend on modifications for a brand new powerful bike. Moded bikes especially by STREET TOONERS will ruin your bike in a while. But if you are seriously interested in modding there are people here who are technically good to guide you. But that requires a lot of effort from your side(You need to research a lot and work by yourself)! And for getting a R15 stance on a P150 you can only imagine it in your mind I would say. Not mocking you but seriously bro let the bike be how it is. The manufacturer built it in a way it would do its best. Don't be fooled by all the mods you see on streets. Ask those owners how long they had the bike and how many times the bike ditched them. You might be happy initially but as time goes the bug WILL bite you. And I am not sure if you are aware of this but P150 with a bigger bore is P180/P200/P220(with small changes in parts). If you like pulsar and want better performance go for P180/P220. P180 is a VFM product. And no for K&N filters. Again I know you have seen roaring bikes with these filters. Mind you they ONLY roar. Its only the sound that makes you feel its accelerating quicker. They allow a AIR + DUST mixture into your engine initially. And then later after the filter is clogged the bike suffers without/less air.

                        PS: I am not against modding. As an automobile engineer, I myself would love to carry out mods, but like I told you it requires immense researching and TIME(and money of course). Anyways you could do small changes like try sprocketing, go for better spark plugs, use better oil, HID/LED lamps, paint jobs, stickering etc.

                        Cheers!
                        Last edited by harishkumarko; 10-16-2013, 05:20 PM.
                        Tour De Thekkady

                        The Return of the KB

                        The Run-in Adventure

                        150cc doing 100+ is great!
                        100cc doing 100+ is awesome!!
                        150cc cornering like hell is great!
                        100cc cornering like hell is awesome!!
                        THAT'S WHY I RIDE A RTZ!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                          Originally posted by TBTS-350 View Post
                          Hi all,

                          Just like the op, even i want to modify my Pulsar 150 (2006). It would be great if you guys can give some inputs on it.

                          I saw the new CBR250r Repsol edition and was simply blown away by it. Is it possible to get a full fairing Repsol body kit for my pulsar (complete with the tails light and everything)?

                          Also on the performance end, i was thinking to go for a bore and a oversize piston and K&N filters.

                          Could you guys give some info on this?

                          Regards
                          As you don't care much about the engine's life or the bike an you want it just as a show piece, take my points. . .
                          1. Remove the rear wheel and insert a 15" wheel which is almost like 130 mm. . .
                          2. Try to insert a bigger front tire but keep it 17" only. . .
                          3. Remove the old exhaust and install a FFE exhaust. . .
                          4. Use a k&n and upjet it properly, get it done by a well known mechanic and you'll have a loud machine. . .
                          5. Remove the round headlight that you have and in that place, put dual headlights. . .
                          6. Change the colour scheme to a bright colour to make it look more attractive. . .
                          7. Remove the present handlebar and insert a new after market clip-on handlebar (not the one's that come for pulsar). . .
                          8. Remove of the rear mudguard and get yourself a fender eliminator, only the number plate and the indicators should be visible and your fat rear tire should be made to see. . .

                          These are the mods you can try it out, I guess this is enough to make it a poser in a quite simple way, instead of installing big bore and all other stuffs, etc, . .

                          PS: Don't tell me if your bike's handing is screwed after the installation of fat tires and don't try to corner in it, also am not responsible for any other stuffs. . . For the K&N and the FFE, get it well tuned from a famous mechanic. . .

                          Cheers!!!
                          Yamaha Rx135 - 2005 - 2007 (stolen :mad:)
                          Scooty Pep - 2008 - 2012 (sold)
                          Honda Unicorn - 2012 - 2015 (crashed)
                          Hero Honda Splendor+ 2015 - present (temporary ride)
                          Bajaj Pulsar AS200 - 16th September 2015 - present ride

                          10 years into riding :D
                          Live2Race. . .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                            Hi to all my friends Rakesh Rok harishkumarko & Divya Sharan.

                            Thanks for all your inputs. From what i could gather out of all your valuable inputs, i think it should be better if i let the engine all alone and not do any funny stuff to it. I guess it wont do me any good in the long run.

                            I guess i will have to stick to some basic mods like the headlights and a paint job etc. I already have a 120/80 back tire installed. Anyway, so i was considering the advise of Rakesh Rok of installing a FFE. I really want my bike to roar hard but i heard that installing FFE will kill the engine in the long run.

                            Is there a way to add a custom exhaust with the roar but not poisoning my engine?

                            I plan to start work on the bike from next month or by max December.

                            warm regards.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Help in Modifying my Pulsar 150 dtsi

                              Originally posted by TBTS-350 View Post
                              I guess i will have to stick to some basic mods like the headlights and a paint job etc. I already have a 120/80 back tire installed. Anyway, so i was considering the advise of Rakesh Rok of installing a FFE. I really want my bike to roar hard but i heard that installing FFE will kill the engine in the long run.

                              Is there a way to add a custom exhaust with the roar but not poisoning my engine?

                              I plan to start work on the bike from next month or by max December.

                              warm regards.
                              See brother, any non OE exhaust will kill the engine. Lets consider a Hayabusa. You get a lot of aftermarket cans for it right?
                              There are basically 2 options available with all aftermarket manufacturers - slip ons and full exhaust system.

                              Slip ons are just the end cans and one can simply plug it and roar! But in case of full exhaust systems, one needs to tune/re-map the ECU to make things work, else the engine would get fried!
                              Now my friend, we don't have any after market options for any desi bike here, so you'd end up harming the engine with any exhaust.

                              Want more sound? Remove the snorkel from the air filter box. Does the least possible harm by allowing more air to enter the engine. Mileage would reduce a wee bit, but the bike would sound like a K&N equipped one.

                              Last edited by Divya Sharan; 10-16-2013, 08:02 PM.
                              Got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet.
                              Because everyone who passes, isn't a martyr!

                              Bullet Service Guide CBR 250R Parts Manual Fz16 service manual - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-...VFQmJzakk/view
                              Hero Moto Corp Bikes' Parts RE STD 350 Wiring Diagram (CI) Service Manual - Classic 350/500
                              ZMR parts - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U...it?usp=sharing
                              P200NS Spares' prices - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...taGd5R2c#gid=0

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X