Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Practice slow-speed riding.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to xBhp Forums v2020

Welcome to 2020 Edition of the xBhp Forums . As you might have already noticed, the forums have undergone a major upgrade to keep up with the times. This will make the forums faster and intuitive and much more mobile friendly.

The basic functioning of the forum remains the same.

We are still tightening the loose nuts and bolts and it will take some time.

However, in case you are facing any issues or problems accessing the forums or posting here, please do let us know.

Any feedback/suggestions are also welcome!

You can post your suggestions on this thread itself!


https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/forum-a...s-2020-welcome
See more
See less

Thunderbird 500 or CBR250

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thunderbird 500 or CBR250

    I have had RX100/135, Pulsar and RE and now looking to get something new that i can keep for long.

    I am very confused in deciding which bike to buy so i am here asking xBhp folks to help me decide.

    since i have never owned a Honda Bike and have had horrible issues with the RE 350 with regular maintenance of clutch plates,oil leaks and brakes. i am really skeptical abt the new RE thunderbird 500..

    I am looking for a bike that can be used for both city use as well as short rides (<150KMs) not very specific about FE all i am looking for is a decent bike above 200cc that's comfortable and will be reliable with very little maintenance and if it needs maintenance is Honda Service better than Royal Enfield's service center or vice versa..

    Royal Enfield 500 Thunderbird is just launched and i have no idea on how its going to perform even though the reviews sound gr8 will the RE quality be comparable to that of honda , and since they have a lot of new technology like Dual Disk brakes etc, i am sure intial batches of the bikes produced are going to have initial problems that will be fixed later on, and with the long waiting period the second and third batches will take 6-10 Months to come IS IT GOING TO BE WORTH THE WAIT??

    CBR 250 on the other hand has been out for a while and all the teething troubles would be sorted out by now so it surely is a better bet. but how are the parts on the CBR like the fairing and other accessories are they strong and will they last? How is the ride quality, Stability and suspenstion of the bike...

    I usually ride to office and back home but the traffic is crazy , any clues on which would be better RE or CBR for regular use in town... btw i tried the KTM Duke 200 too but not very keep abt it... any other suggestions or ideas as to which bike i should buy or review before making the deal?


    Thanks

    Jab

  • #2
    Thread Approved
    Advice is a form of nostalgia.
    Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

    Antz Travelz!! | South India Exploration Ride | Leh Triplog (Work in progress)

    Comment


    • #3
      Now I'm sure you are aware of the fact that these two bikes belong to different categories. RE is a cruiser while the CBR is a Sports Tourer. It all depends on the type of roads and traffic that you go through everyday. Ofcourse there are some who use RE for city rides, but thats not what its made for. CBR can do fairly good in both conditions. But if the traffic is bumper to bumper, you will find both of these a bit difficult to ride, especially the RE. I'm surprised that you are leaving out the Duke, since you have owned an RX 100 in the past. Anyway, the choice pretty much depends on your personal comfort and needs. Have you test ridden them? Also as far as I know, Honda's service will be cheaper than RE. If you have to pick from the two, go with CBR 250 R ABS. ABS is really worth every penny.
      2013 R15(Sold) | 2014-?? Duke 390

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, the fear of owning a DUKE is to give in to the temptation and ride fast. its a really nice bike and feels like an RX but i wanted something that i can keep for sometime at-least 5 yrs.

        I test rode the CBR and i really found a feeling of hollowness @ lower RPM's but feels good when we rev it up... is it a normal feeling or is it meant to be like that...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
          since i have never owned a Honda Bike and have had horrible issues with the RE 350 with regular maintenance of clutch plates,oil leaks and brakes. i am really skeptical abt the new RE thunderbird 500..
          So how come TB500 is in your mind ?? RE is still the same, with technology, no major changes in engines etc, So the problems are likely to be there!!
          Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
          I am looking for a bike that can be used for both city use as well as short rides (<150KMs) not very specific about FE all i am looking for is a decent bike above 200cc that's comfortable and will be reliable with very little maintenance and if it needs maintenance is Honda Service better than Royal Enfield's service center or vice versa..
          For city nothing is best than Duke!! And for Highway nothing is best than RE with comfort, but still CBR comes in between og this two. Power speed and good comfort! But still RE comfort is something different. as per your criteria i see you have city usage more than Highway (150kms). 150 kms can be done by any bike today without any much isssues. Duke/NS200 fits here.
          Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
          Royal Enfield 500 Thunderbird is just launched and i have no idea on how its going to perform even though the reviews sound gr8 will the RE quality be comparable to that of honda , and since they have a lot of new technology like Dual Disk brakes etc, i am sure intial batches of the bikes produced are going to have initial problems that will be fixed later on, and with the long waiting period the second and third batches will take 6-10 Months to come IS IT GOING TO BE WORTH THE WAIT??
          I don't think waiting for RE is any worth from any angle ?? Because you have many other options outside. Frankly speaking why to pay 1.8L for RE when you get CBR 250ABS @ 2L ???
          Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
          CBR 250 on the other hand has been out for a while and all the teething troubles would be sorted out by now so it surely is a better bet. but how are the parts on the CBR like the fairing and other accessories are they strong and will they last? How is the ride quality, Stability and suspenstion of the bike...
          CBR now is very much stabilised as compare to earlier issues!! So now you can buy it eyes closed, But Duke fits your bill Perfectly, else FZ as you don't have any mileage issues!! FZ will give you an average of 40-45kmpl.
          Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
          I usually ride to office and back home but the traffic is crazy , any clues on which would be better RE or CBR for regular use in town... btw i tried the KTM Duke 200 too but not very keep abt it... any other suggestions or ideas as to which bike i should buy or review before making the deal?
          Thanks
          Jab

          Both are not at all for heavy traffics, you will regret for sure if you buy these two in heavy traffic scenario!! Duke is the best!!
          FZ/Frazer/SZr/ CBZ-Hunk/Impulse/ Dazzler are best in city for traffic etc...

          the bikes you have sortlisted are surely out of the discussion as they both are not for heavy traffics!! Go with Duke else other options!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by somen1984 View Post

            Both are not at all for heavy traffics, you will regret for sure if you buy these two in heavy traffic scenario!! Duke is the best!!
            FZ/Frazer/SZr/ CBZ-Hunk/Impulse/ Dazzler are best in city for traffic etc...

            the bikes you have sortlisted are surely out of the discussion as they both are not for heavy traffics!! Go with Duke else other options!!
            Hows a ZMR or a 200NS like the looks

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
              Hows a ZMR or a 200NS like the looks
              If heavy Traffic is concern than even these bikes are not that good to handle. Big nature!! But NS200 is some what average in handling in heavy traffic!! NS200 would be more fun than ZMR in any way!!

              Go for NS200 it's nice, but true enjoyment is on highway!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
                Hows a ZMR or a 200NS like the looks
                That too depends on the usage. If you are gonna use it in heavy traffic city roads, go for the 200 NS, it can weave through traffic much better than a ZMR. ZMR can give you better comfort for long rides. But from what you have mentioned, 200 NS will fit you in much better than the ZMR.
                2013 R15(Sold) | 2014-?? Duke 390

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ezilkannan View Post
                  That too depends on the usage. If you are gonna use it in heavy traffic city roads, go for the 200 NS, it can weave through traffic much better than a ZMR. ZMR can give you better comfort for long rides. But from what you have mentioned, 200 NS will fit you in much better than the ZMR.
                  No My friend.

                  NS200 equally irritated as compare to R15 or CBR in traffic or any other big bike!!

                  And comfort is same on ZMR or NS200, i din't feel any difference in comfort when i rode it to Panvel and back 30kms-30kms

                  I personally feel NS200 is way ahead in handling in the two! But NS200 gave 25kmpl average, where as ZMR gave some 35kmpl+ average speed was 100-120kmph.

                  On highway NS200 is also fun to cut the lanes as compare to ZMR.

                  NS200 quickly did a 135kmph where as ZMR clocked only 120-125kmph only, does this happens withall ZMR owners ??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by somen1984 View Post
                    No My friend.

                    NS200 equally irritated as compare to R15 or CBR in traffic or any other big bike!!

                    And comfort is same on ZMR or NS200, i din't feel any difference in comfort when i rode it to Panvel and back 30kms-30kms

                    I personally feel NS200 is way ahead in handling in the two! But NS200 gave 25kmpl average, where as ZMR gave some 35kmpl+ average speed was 100-120kmph.

                    On highway NS200 is also fun to cut the lanes as compare to ZMR.

                    NS200 quickly did a 135kmph where as ZMR clocked only 120-125kmph only, does this happens withall ZMR owners ??
                    Hmm so 200NS is equally good in comfort compared to ZMR? Interesting. My friend said otherwise, maybe if I take it for a ride, I'll be able to judge it better.
                    2013 R15(Sold) | 2014-?? Duke 390

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ezilkannan View Post
                      Hmm so 200NS is equally good in comfort compared to ZMR? Interesting. My friend said otherwise, maybe if I take it for a ride, I'll be able to judge it better.
                      Yep at least i left the same!!

                      Infact try cutting lanes and overtaking on NS on highways it's really a charm!!

                      I felt NS more better to ZMR would be because NS 200 was responding to throttle quickly then ZMR!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have decided on the KTM for now, how durable is the bike.. it looks strong and mascular.. does it live upto its looks .. whats the maintenance on that bike... how abt availability of spares and accessories for the KTM

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          • CBR250 is the bike for you. the reasons are--
                          • there is no comparison between CBR and thunderbird 500, the are ages apart. CBR is much better overall bike.
                          • stability, ride, handling, braking, reliability, performance, & vibrations-- these are the areas CBR is much much better than thunderbird 500.
                          • thunderbird is better only in terms of torque, sound (exhaust note) and legacy.
                          • see, a bullet lover will mostly not even discuss before buying a bullet, if you are discussing, that means you are not a hardcore bullet lover. and if you discuss and compare, you will never be able to buy a bullet. there are very less number of riders who discuss and still buy a bullet. bullet is owned with heart over head, and CBR with head over heart. i hope you are getting ....what i am trying to convey.
                          • and bikes are like wives, you will never find a perfect one, because, it is non-existent. you just have to love the positives and learn to live with the negatives.
                          • above point can be related to "ease of riding in city traffic", and even if you wanna compare, i feel CBR is still better in traffic also ... then a bullet.

                          obviously, i am not a bullet lover, and a hardcore bulleteer will give you a different answer.but mind it, even i wanna own a bullet ....atleast once, but only as a second bike, not my primary bike.apologies to all bullet lovers.
                          Last edited by princesirohi; 10-17-2012, 12:52 AM.
                          sigpic

                          Tyre Sizes _ Spark Plugs

                          Headlight Focus _ Fork Oils

                          All India xBhp Couple Riders Thread

                          Ashtavinayak + Shirdi
                          Purandar
                          Raigad
                          Dapoli
                          Aurangabad
                          Kaas Plateu & Thoseghar Waterfalls
                          Purandar

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Decided on a KTM

                            waiting for delivery .. 2-3 days

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by princesirohi View Post
                              • there is no comparison between CBR and thunderbird 500, the are ages apart. CBR is much better overall bike.
                              +1
                              Originally posted by princesirohi View Post
                              stability, ride, handling, braking, reliability, performance, & vibrations-- these are the areas CBR is much much better than thunderbird 500.
                              +100
                              Originally posted by princesirohi View Post
                              • see, a bullet lover will mostly not even discuss before buying a bullet, if you are discussing, that means you are not a hardcore bullet lover. and if you discuss and compare, you will never be able to buy a bullet. there are very less number of riders who discuss and still buy a bullet. bullet is owned with heart over head, and CBR with head over heart. i hope you are getting ....what i am trying to convey.
                              Kya baat hai Price Bhai!!! 6 pe 6 mar rahe ho!!
                              Originally posted by princesirohi View Post
                              and bikes are like wives, you will never find a perfect one, because, it is non-existent. you just have to love the positives and learn to live with the negatives.
                              Holy Cow !!! This is the truth of ages and human life!!

                              Originally posted by princesirohi View Post
                              • above point can be related to "ease of riding in city traffic", and even if you wanna compare, i feel CBR is still better in traffic also ... then a bullet.
                              I find both bikes very uncomfortable in city!! almost same!

                              Originally posted by jabirahmed View Post
                              Decided on a KTM

                              waiting for delivery .. 2-3 days
                              KTM is good for city as well as highway, the only issue is it's mileage, it gives very close to 25-35kmpl if ridden 80-100kmph.

                              Rarely heard of some 40kmpl.

                              Duke is with all modern tech and features so it's kool, you find parts in market apart from SVC!! The same orange color in whole nation is really boring!!

                              Atleast there should have been 2 different colors!!

                              Duke excellent for city!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X