Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Clean visor equals clear vision.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Ride to Leh

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Q: Ride to Leh

    Hello All,

    I'm planning for a ride to Leh this June and i plan to take my RX100. I don't' know how the bike will perform in the extreme conditions.

    Please share your thoughts and let me know if anyone ever attempted to ride to Leh on RX or a 2 stroke bike.

    If anyone rode an RX to Leh I'll also like to know the challenges that you faced. Experts and the seniors in the form please share your views. I'm also looking forward to suggestions and precautions specially for my bike.

    Many thanks,
    Pratesh.

  • #2
    Thread approved
    Happiness is finding you have another Gear left....

    Join xBhp On

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't have experience riding at Leh nor with Rx on Leh; but for sure you WILL need to remove the air filter when you're riding at top; have additional spark plugs, take a jerry can holding about 3-5 litres of fuel. ensure to have new set of tires & tubes.
      Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
      Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
      ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you Noor for approving the thread.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Noor View Post
          Thread approved
          Originally posted by aargee View Post
          I don't have experience riding at Leh nor with Rx on Leh; but for sure you WILL need to remove the air filter when you're riding at top; have additional spark plugs, take a jerry can holding about 3-5 litres of fuel. ensure to have new set of tires & tubes.
          Thanks Argee for your advice.New tires and extra tubes go in without saying. I didn't have spark plugs on my list. Thanks for highlighting.

          As for removing the air filter, will that clog my carb??

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pratesh View Post
            As for removing the air filter, will that clog my carb??
            You have to remove no matter it clogs or not Reason being, higher altitude, low Oxygen, so you'll need to lean out the AF mixture. This is quite common with non FI motorcycle at Leh.

            Well, carry emery paper & additional RVM too.
            Skill is what keeps you on a Motorcycle
            Awareness + Skill is what keeps you out of harm's way
            ATGATT + Awareness + Skill means you might Live To Ride another day

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Pratesh

              Last Year I did Solo ride to Ladakh trip on Caliber 115 (112 cc)

              For details please log on to : http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...ngonglake.html

              Ladakh 2014
              http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...-till-end.html
              Sikkim-Bhutan
              http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...-soloride.html
              Great Rann of Kutch
              http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...ann-kutch.html
              Ladakh 2011
              http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...ngonglake.html

              WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GETS GOING

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AbraKaDabra View Post
                Hi Pratesh

                Last Year I did Solo ride to Ladakh trip on Caliber 115 (112 cc)

                For details please log on to : http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...ngonglake.html
                Awesome blog brother. Kudos on riding solo. I can't even imagine how difficult it can get.

                Got quite a few tips and your pics were wonderful.

                Thank you :-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pratesh View Post
                  I'm planning for a ride to Leh this June and i plan to take my RX100. I don't' know how the bike will perform in the extreme conditions.

                  Please share your thoughts and let me know if anyone ever attempted to ride to Leh on RX or a 2 stroke bike.
                  Ping "msd". He took part in Raid in 2011 on his RX135. His dad was tuning up his bike's carb for the high altitude.

                  A few blog posts that I have written, have a look at them if you feel like.
                  …:navendu:… Mailbox #3: Tuning Carburetor for high altitude and Tubeless over Tube type tyres.
                  …:navendu:… Spare Parts to Carry on a Road Trip

                  Originally posted by aargee View Post
                  You have to remove no matter it clogs or not Reason being, higher altitude, low Oxygen, so you'll need to lean out the AF mixture. This is quite common with non FI motorcycle at Leh.
                  Please do not advise something that you might not have tried on your own.

                  I'll not suggest anyone to remove the air filter. It will make dust enter your combustion chamber (Ladakh terrain is full of dust) and that can easily spoil your engine.

                  Since 2007, I have never removed air filter from my bikes(Fiero, ZMA). In fact, except for 2011 (when racing on ZMA), I didn't even touch the carb on the bike. Except for M'La, the bikes have climbed every mountain pass and once Tanglang La with a pillion and luggage of two adults on a slushy surface while it was snowing.

                  Friends on CBZ, P180 Dtsi v2(with pillion) and ZMA(with pillion) also didn't removed air filter/tuned their carb.

                  Edit: Yes, without touching the carb, the bikes climbed (specially near the top of mountain passes) slowly. But I was fine with that, as long as the bike was climbing, as I didn't want to do anything to screw my engine.
                  PS: With RX100 being a bit low on power, you might want to carry light luggage.
                  Last edited by nav75; 03-20-2012, 01:30 AM.
                  2000 Suzuki Fiero | 2004 Bullet Electra | 2004 RX135 | 2005 CBZ | 2009 Karizma | 2009 Punto 1.4 Petrol | 2011 Yamaha YZF-R15

                  Nav is back !!!
                  Getting Leh'ed. Since 2007...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Please do not advise something that you might not have tried on your own.

                    I'll not suggest anyone to remove the air filter. It will make dust enter your combustion chamber (Ladakh terrain is full of dust) and that can easily spoil your engine
                    .



                    I fully agree with the above. In my case also I never felt any problem with my bike and I neither touched the air filter nor the corburator.

                    FOR FIRST TIMERS: I would advice to take the Srinagar route and return via Manali as decend from Rohtang is a lot easier and this year there would be lot more ice than even the last year, I believe.
                    Last edited by Hoodibaba; 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM.

                    Ladakh 2014
                    http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...-till-end.html
                    Sikkim-Bhutan
                    http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...-soloride.html
                    Great Rann of Kutch
                    http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...ann-kutch.html
                    Ladakh 2011
                    http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...ngonglake.html

                    WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GETS GOING

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey Thanks Nav ... The links were great!

                      I guess I'll leave my air filters on... I don't want to spoil my stock engine.. Won't mind the power loss and if it takes longer to climb the passes... More time on the passes =more fun?? (Unless AMS hits you bad) :-)

                      Very informative. I'm reading your blogs now ... Will revert to you with my queries.

                      Thank you :-)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Getting Leh'ed on an RX

                        Hey,

                        It will be one hell of a ride... Just be prepared for the following!

                        1> 2T Oil - You will not get 2T in most of the petrol pumps, so carry your own!!
                        2> Fuel Range - My Rx returned a mileage of 16 KMPL. I dont expect you to get more than 20-22 KMPL, so plan on the fuel stops accordingly
                        3> Carb Jetting - DIY (Learn how to jet your carb and you will be happier)
                        4> Air filter - might need cleaning - but DO NOT REMOVE THE SAME. I had used a stock filter and managed to climb all the passes (including Khardung-la, Slow but steady)
                        5> Fork oil - Try to have a slightly thicker oil in your front fork. Will save you a lot of pain in the long run (incase you wish to cross passes like Tang-lang-la - while they are being repaired!!!)

                        BTW What tyres are you using? - Carry an emergency tire inflator can. Might act as a life saver!
                        Exhaust Notes - The sweetest sound
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          @Pratesh - MSD has given some good info first hand from an RX user who has got LEHed.
                          I agree with NAV & MSD, one should avoid removing air filter as fine granules of dust can seep in through the carb to the block piston and scratch your cylinder walls which could lead to serious power drops. During my LEH ride with Sachin, our bikes climbed all the passes without much struggle.

                          You may require to loosen up your AFR screw on the carb to allow more air flow in to the carb in case your bike does not climb. We had re-tuned our carbs during our ride. Also keep in mind not to rev hard but keep your bike going steady at the power band on steep terrains may be at 3.5-4K RPM. Carry bare minimum clothes. You may carry just 2 T-Shirts which u may use and throw while on the journey and continue with fresh ones from respective places and keep the weight of the bike to a minimum. Also as mentioned earlier go through the Srinagar and return via Manali to avoid climbing Rohtang from the slushy side. My ZMA returned an avg of 30kmpl and we used to fill at every petrol bunk. So you would need to carry a few bottles of fuel.

                          P.S :- There was a guy from south who had been to Leh on an M80 and RX100 would do fine.

                          Regards,
                          Deepan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MSD View Post
                            Hey,

                            It will be one hell of a ride... Just be prepared for the following!

                            1> 2T Oil - You will not get 2T in most of the petrol pumps, so carry your own!!
                            2> Fuel Range - My Rx returned a mileage of 16 KMPL. I dont expect you to get more than 20-22 KMPL, so plan on the fuel stops accordingly
                            3> Carb Jetting - DIY (Learn how to jet your carb and you will be happier)
                            4> Air filter - might need cleaning - but DO NOT REMOVE THE SAME. I had used a stock filter and managed to climb all the passes (including Khardung-la, Slow but steady)
                            5> Fork oil - Try to have a slightly thicker oil in your front fork. Will save you a lot of pain in the long run (incase you wish to cross passes like Tang-lang-la - while they are being repaired!!!)

                            BTW What tyres are you using? - Carry an emergency tire inflator can. Might act as a life saver!
                            Hey MSD,

                            Thank you very much for the tips!!

                            I'm actually worried on the mileage part. I got a mileage of 22 on my trip to Goa via the NH -17. The roads are not going to be any similar, atleast on the passes, and I guess I'll ned to carry cannisters right from Jammu!!

                            i'll read out the DIY section on Carb Jetting. Will reach out with questions, if any.

                            Could you suggest any good oil for the forks?

                            I also wanted to know which engine oil did you used? I'm currently using Mobil 20W40 (but the can says 4T). been almost 1000 KMS since the last change.

                            General misconception that I see - when I ask for Engine oil a 20W40 comes in without saying and when I ask for engine oil for 2 strokes - I'll be handed 2T oil to fill up the side canister!!

                            For tyres, I'm using MRF, last changed before my ride to Goa last year. The tyres ain't bad and still got some life left but will be changed before my ride to Leh. Any suggestions here?

                            Plan is to carry one set of puncture repair kit and a foot pump to use in case of punctures. Will be carrying two sets of front & rear tubes along. Have 2 more RX100's along so I guess should be sufficient.
                            I hope that 3 of us won't be lucky enough to manage a puncture at the same time.

                            Many Thanks,

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by xstunter View Post
                              @Pratesh - MSD has given some good info first hand from an RX user who has got LEHed.
                              I agree with NAV & MSD, one should avoid removing air filter as fine granules of dust can seep in through the carb to the block piston and scratch your cylinder walls which could lead to serious power drops. During my LEH ride with Sachin, our bikes climbed all the passes without much struggle.

                              You may require to loosen up your AFR screw on the carb to allow more air flow in to the carb in case your bike does not climb. We had re-tuned our carbs during our ride. Also keep in mind not to rev hard but keep your bike going steady at the power band on steep terrains may be at 3.5-4K RPM. Carry bare minimum clothes. You may carry just 2 T-Shirts which u may use and throw while on the journey and continue with fresh ones from respective places and keep the weight of the bike to a minimum. Also as mentioned earlier go through the Srinagar and return via Manali to avoid climbing Rohtang from the slushy side. My ZMA returned an avg of 30kmpl and we used to fill at every petrol bunk. So you would need to carry a few bottles of fuel.

                              P.S :- There was a guy from south who had been to Leh on an M80 and RX100 would do fine.

                              Regards,
                              Deepan
                              Hey Deepan,

                              Thanks for writing in.. Heard quite a few first hand stories from Sachin about your trip to Leh.

                              I was worried about the impact to the engine after removing the air filters, but after reading the responses from you, MSD and Nav I feel assured.

                              As for the route, we plan to start around 8th June and will be taking the Jammu-Srinagar route and come down via Manali to Delhi by 23rd June. Everyone's working to get their leave confirmations in place. Final plan (4th version) on the route and the timelines will be freezed by 8th April. Plan to catch-up with the team this weekend and next.

                              Yet to run through the carb jetting and DIY stuff - so will reach out to you guys for support. Guess, I need to take a 2 day crash course from my mech. What say?

                              Cheers!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X