Marc Marquez won a thrilling San Marino MotoGP at Misano with Yamaha’s Bradley Smith on the second. Honda’s Scott Redding claimed his first podium finish in third, despite sliding into the gravel during early laps.
The race was dominated by Jorge Lorenzo, Marquez and Valentino Rossi but it was only Marquez who decided to take a pitstop after the Yamaha riders stayed out too long on wet tyres when the majority of the field made their second pitstop to change bikes. With slick tyres Lorenzo crashed almost immediatelyand left himself facing a huge uphill task in the championship.
Rossi stayed out too late and fell back to fifth but the points gained will be crucial for the title. The Yamaha riders were focused only on each other and it left Marquez free to come through and claim the win.
San Marino MotoGP results:
1. Marc Marquez (Spain) Honda 48 minutes 23.819 seconds
2. Bradley Smith (Britain) Yamaha 48:31.107
3. Scott Redding (Britain) Honda 48:42.612
4. Loris Baz (France) Forward 48:50.246
5. Valentino Rossi (Italy) Yamaha 48:57.015
6. Danilo Petrucci (Italy) Ducati 48:58.906
7. Andrea Iannone (Italy) Ducati 49:0.346
8. Andrea Dovizioso (Italy) Ducati 49:1.253
9. Dani Pedrosa (Spain) Honda 49:3.335
10. Aleix Espargaro (Spain) Suzuki 49:3.511
11. Cal Crutchlow (Britain) Honda 49:5.814
12. Jack Miller (Australia) Honda 49:9.894
13. Mike Di Meglio (France) Ducati 49:12.200
14. Maverick Vinales (Spain) Suzuki 49:16.144
15. Alvaro Bautista (Spain) Aprilia 49:17.167