The Japanese Grand Prix at Motegi turned out to be the most dramatic race day of the season as Honda rider Marc Marquez sealed the MotoGP title for the third time in four years by finishing in first place when it was least expected to happen.
Marquez’s victory in Japan made him the youngest to bag three MotoGP world championships in four years as the two main rivals and the title contenders Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo both crashed out.
Rossi was running second to Marquez when he crashed at turn 10 on the 7th lap while his Yamaha teammate who was defending his championship put up a great performance chasing Marquez when he hit the gravel with just five laps to go.
Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso came in second as Suzuki’s Vinales fnished in the third place and moved to 4th place in the world standings. Dani Pedrosa broke his collarbone in the practice session and had to miss the race to undergo surgery.
A. Espargaro, teammate of Vinales finised 4th as Aprilia Racing team’s A. Bautista came seventh.
Yamaha test rider, Katsuyuki Nakasuga made a wild card appearance in the race, finishing in 11th position.
Race results –
- Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 42m 34.610s
- Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 42m 37.602s
- Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 42m 38.714s
- Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 42m 39.336s
- Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 42m 49.659s
- Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 42m 54.264s
- Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 42m 57.642s
- Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 43m 3.165s
- Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 43m 3.412s
- Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 43m 6.940s
- Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamalube Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 43m 17.455s
- Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 43m 26.829s
- Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 43m 28.393s
- Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 43m 29.370s
- Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 43m 34.765s
- Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 43m 39.050s
- Hector Barbera ESP Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 44m 17.576s
- Mike Jones AUS Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) +1 lap
Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) DNF
Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) DNF
Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) DNF
Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) DNF
News Source: Crash.net