Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like minded biker friends. Join the #16YearsOfxBhpCelebrations click here.

WE DESIGN ON

Lenovo ThinkPad
Magazine
Castrol Power 1

Check engine oil level before every ride.

Our Partners

User Tag List

Like Tree8209Likes

Thread: Honda CBR 250R

  1. #19291
    Addicted Harisankar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    KA/KL
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool1431 View Post

    Please explain me the break in procedure.
    1) Warm the engine when u do a cold start by keeping the engine idle for 1 minute or so
    2) Keep the revs properly in every gear to avoid lugging. Keep the revs above 4K rpm while upshifting to avoid lugging.
    3) Avoid sudden acceleration or deceleration. Do gradual throttling
    4) Avoid holding same rpm for prolonged period. Vary rpms. u can take the bike to higher rpms occasionally but climb slowly.
    5) Give break and stop the engine for sometime if you take the bike for long ride in break-in time.
    sanjaynk15 likes this.

  2. #19292
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    Harsh for the bike? Maybe. Vibrations? Hell yeah.

    But see the result? My bike still gives good mileage and top speed is still ~150 kmph, 4 years later.

    Don't baby the bike during run in. Th engine needs to run in at all rpms. The 4k rpm myth you see being thrown around here is just plonked out from other bike's manual. Your CBR 250 manual states no rpm limit. I've gone up to 7k rpm multiple times before first service, which I did at 962 kms.
    I am handling it like a baby :/
    I'm only going as max as 4.5krpm and top speed of 52ish.
    I've decided to do this just untill the first 100kms and then i'll gradually increase it.
    Will it be okay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harisankar View Post
    1) Warm the engine when u do a cold start by keeping the engine idle for 1 minute or so
    2) Keep the revs properly in every gear to avoid lugging. Keep the revs above 4K rpm while upshifting to avoid lugging.
    3) Avoid sudden acceleration or deceleration. Do gradual throttling
    4) Avoid holding same rpm for prolonged period. Vary rpms. u can take the bike to higher rpms occasionally but climb slowly.
    5) Give break and stop the engine for sometime if you take the bike for long ride in break-in time.
    Thank you for the "keep the revs above 4k rpm..." part.
    I've decided to let her explore herself slowly by slowly for the first few hundred kms and then i'll occasionally show her true power to herself.
    And Yes Avoiding Lugging is too hard as i always try to shift smoothly but end up in a little jerk after the 2nd and 3rd shift. :/

  3. #19293
    Rookie Nawazish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by Nawazish View Post
    Do front telescopic fork seals upon leakage get covered under extended warranty?
    Has someone any clue about this?

  4. #19294
    Rusted theironhorse99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    jaipur , hyderabad
    Posts
    1,996
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by Nawazish View Post
    Has someone any clue about this?
    Fork seals and consumables and not under warranty unless they go burst in few days from replacement
    krish2778 likes this.
    "A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel."

    RE Bullet 1977 - Current
    RX-100 1995 - Current
    CBZ Classic 2003 - Current
    Activa 2004 - Current
    CBR 250R 2012 - Current

    http://theironhorse.blog.com

  5. #19295
    Ban-Kai! madhav766's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool1431 View Post
    I am handling it like a baby :/
    I'm only going as max as 4.5krpm and top speed of 52ish.
    I've decided to do this just untill the first 100kms and then i'll gradually increase it.
    Will it be okay?
    No hard and fast rule this whole "speed and RPM" thing, but I'd like to give you an analogy that I made for myself through my first two break-in experiences. Imagine bikes are like our human bodies. We are born as toddlers and grow up into adults. When you receive a bike, it's not a baby. It's more of the average 21 year old - confused about its purpose and just out into the real world after being "placed" in your "company". The initial "break-in" period is its probation at your "company". You give it the training you "hired" it for. If you "hired" the bike for long rides, give it the long-rides training. If you "hired" the bike for off roading, give it the off-roading training. If you hired the bike for the racing, give it the "race-bike" training. But remember, no trainees are given the real job. Just a part of the job, in small intervals. You are the bike's "first company". You mould it's future. When you research the internet for a method to break the bike in you will come across a myriad of methods. Everyone who professes any one method will swear by it, almost religiously. You really should decide your bike's future by the way you want it to shape up.

    Now when you're breaking-in your ride, no matter which way you want to take it, remember to give it the whole experience. Another analogy: when a person hit's the gym to get fit, he may go the cardio way, the weight training way or the cross-fit way [Side note: In India, I believe most of us make our bikes go through a more cross-fit sort of training - in the sense, we buy one bike and take it everywhere(on-road, off-road, track day, to get Leh'd, etc)]. In any case, there are 2 golden rules to gym - 1. Form - doesn't matter if you're running or doing a chest press. If you don't maintain the correct form, a.k.a technique, you risk injury and/or bad body posture. 2. Range of motion - Let's take squats for this analogy. When you do squats(OT: these are literally the best exercise to do from both the cardio and weight training point of views), if you don't bother to put in the effort to ensure that you move through the entire range of motion that your body is capable of, you will always be weak in the part of the motion that you don't include in your squats. This holds good for every workout and incidentally, for your bike too. If you don't ensure your bike goes through the entire rev range in every gear, the engine will break-in to those habits.

    Don't over think the break-in process. At the end of the day, it is a matter of common sense. You ride your bike, and you are unique. Learn to ride your bike, but don't treat it like preparation material for an IIT JEE exam. Feel the engine, feel the gearbox and let your instincts guide, not the internet. Also, don't be so afraid. Numbers like "4.5k RPM" or "1000km" are there for reference. They are not holy rules that are not meant to be broken. They're merely guidelines. Enjoy every moment with your bike. Don't look at your speedo and tacho every other second. You'll be fine.
    Don't matter what it is: Touring; Racing; Commuting. All I know is, I belong on the saddle.

    Rides : Honda CB Twister(Feb 2011 - Present) | TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS(Sept 2012 - May 2016) | Honda CBR250R C-ABS Repsol(March 2017 - Present)

    Break-in tension? Read this.

    Love camping and riding? Google - On Rustic Routes.

  6. #19296
    Rusted leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,750
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Madhav, you forgot the deadlifts buddy. The deadlift is the baap of all heavy lifting. Pity my back can't take it. I got two hundred kilos of iron rusting at home. Love lifting more than biking.

  7. #19297
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by madhav766 View Post
    No hard and fast rule this whole "speed and RPM" thing, but I'd like to give you an analogy that I made for myself through my first two break-in experiences. Imagine bikes are like our human bodies. We are born as toddlers and grow up into adults. When you receive a bike, it's not a baby. It's more of the average 21 year old - confused about its purpose and just out into the real world after being "placed" in your "company". The initial "break-in" period is its probation at your "company". You give it the training you "hired" it for. If you "hired" the bike for long rides, give it the long-rides training. If you "hired" the bike for off roading, give it the off-roading training. If you hired the bike for the racing, give it the "race-bike" training. But remember, no trainees are given the real job. Just a part of the job, in small intervals. You are the bike's "first company". You mould it's future. When you research the internet for a method to break the bike in you will come across a myriad of methods. Everyone who professes any one method will swear by it, almost religiously. You really should decide your bike's future by the way you want it to shape up.

    Now when you're breaking-in your ride, no matter which way you want to take it, remember to give it the whole experience. Another analogy: when a person hit's the gym to get fit, he may go the cardio way, the weight training way or the cross-fit way [Side note: In India, I believe most of us make our bikes go through a more cross-fit sort of training - in the sense, we buy one bike and take it everywhere(on-road, off-road, track day, to get Leh'd, etc)]. In any case, there are 2 golden rules to gym - 1. Form - doesn't matter if you're running or doing a chest press. If you don't maintain the correct form, a.k.a technique, you risk injury and/or bad body posture. 2. Range of motion - Let's take squats for this analogy. When you do squats(OT: these are literally the best exercise to do from both the cardio and weight training point of views), if you don't bother to put in the effort to ensure that you move through the entire range of motion that your body is capable of, you will always be weak in the part of the motion that you don't include in your squats. This holds good for every workout and incidentally, for your bike too. If you don't ensure your bike goes through the entire rev range in every gear, the engine will break-in to those habits.

    Don't over think the break-in process. At the end of the day, it is a matter of common sense. You ride your bike, and you are unique. Learn to ride your bike, but don't treat it like preparation material for an IIT JEE exam. Feel the engine, feel the gearbox and let your instincts guide, not the internet. Also, don't be so afraid. Numbers like "4.5k RPM" or "1000km" are there for reference. They are not holy rules that are not meant to be broken. They're merely guidelines. Enjoy every moment with your bike. Don't look at your speedo and tacho every other second. You'll be fine.
    That was really a great way to explain all the "Breaking-in process".
    You've shed light on the perfect parts of my brain and made me understand this very easily.
    Best was the Gym analogy.
    Today morning when i went to drop my dad at office, i kept looking at the tachometer and ended up riding it with jerks.
    But while coming home i decided to ride it just with my instincts and feeling the vibrations.
    And Voila! No Jerks!
    Seriously, Looking at the tacho or speedo ends up in bad riding.

  8. #19298
    Ban-Kai! madhav766's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    Madhav, you forgot the deadlifts buddy. The deadlift is the baap of all heavy lifting. Pity my back can't take it. I got two hundred kilos of iron rusting at home. Love lifting more than biking.
    Ah, but that's why squats are the best. Injury is minimal and it keeps you in shape. Body weight is the best dead weight to lift. I understand your pain with wanting to lift and not having the physical ammo to do it. I went through a similar experience w.r.t. my love for running and basketball when I tore my ACL. It's been 7 years since the fateful injury and I am finally starting to run. I'm sure you can start dead lifting if you make your way to it through patience and determination bro! The human body is an amazing machine! *No pun intended*

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool1431 View Post
    That was really a great way to explain all the "Breaking-in process".
    You've shed light on the perfect parts of my brain and made me understand this very easily.
    Best was the Gym analogy.
    Today morning when i went to drop my dad at office, i kept looking at the tachometer and ended up riding it with jerks.
    But while coming home i decided to ride it just with my instincts and feeling the vibrations.
    And Voila! No Jerks!
    Seriously, Looking at the tacho or speedo ends up in bad riding.
    Superb! Happy to know that my knowledge was of help to someone. Not looking at the dash when riding, was a lesson I learnt the hard way. This was back when I bought my second bike. I had literally just hit the 1000km mark some 500m before I met with the first ever accident I had on a two wheeler. The fault was not mine, but had I been paying attention to the road instead of the speedo, I would have saved a ton of time, money and embarrassment. I also did not have any protective gear on, except my helmet - which saved me from a damaged face. Ever since then, the only accidents(2 major and 1 super minor) I have had on my bikes were in the odd occasion that I wasn't wearing enough protective gear. It was literally like the universe was telling me, that I may not leave the house on a two wheeler, unless every bit if skin from head to toe was covered in one way or another.

    Also, owners in Bangalore, I have a query. I was ambling through the internet, puttering through various motorcycle related sites and suddenly a wild website appeared. I had never heard of the place, even though for the better part of a year, I worked right opposite to this place. Anybody here heard of/tried out the service here?

    TIA for your time.




    Last edited by madhav766; 11-11-2016 at 02:34 PM.
    Don't matter what it is: Touring; Racing; Commuting. All I know is, I belong on the saddle.

    Rides : Honda CB Twister(Feb 2011 - Present) | TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS(Sept 2012 - May 2016) | Honda CBR250R C-ABS Repsol(March 2017 - Present)

    Break-in tension? Read this.

    Love camping and riding? Google - On Rustic Routes.

  9. #19299
    Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by madhav766 View Post
    Superb! Happy to know that my knowledge was of help to someone. Not looking at the dash when riding, was a lesson I learnt the hard way. This was back when I bought my second bike. I had literally just hit the 1000km mark some 500m before I met with the first ever accident I had on a two wheeler. The fault was not mine, but had I been paying attention to the road instead of the speedo, I would have saved a ton of time, money and embarrassment. I also did not have any protective gear on, except my helmet - which saved me from a damaged face. Ever since then, the only accidents(2 major and 1 super minor) I have had on my bikes were in the odd occasion that I wasn't wearing enough protective gear. It was literally like the universe was telling me, that I may not leave the house on a two wheeler, unless every bit if skin from head to toe was covered in one way or another.
    Well when i ride my bike, i at least have a full sleeve tshirt or a jeans.
    One of them is always compulsory. (Helmet is always)
    Ride safe!

  10. #19300
    Ban-Kai! madhav766's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Honda CBR 250R

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool1431 View Post
    Well when i ride my bike, i at least have a full sleeve tshirt or a jeans.
    One of them is always compulsory. (Helmet is always)
    Ride safe!
    Add a jacket, a pair of gloves and a pair of hard sole boots to your ensemble. Invaluable when you are on a bike and also makes you look super cool. I recently came across a post in the riding jackets section of the forum here, and this is their FB site. Check them out. Basic mesh jackets for Rs.2900/- with CE approved shoulder, elbow and forearm protectors. You won't get hot, you'll look good and you can also have the protection - all at an affordable rate. I saw your thread in the what bike section. I know you spent all your money on the bike, but if your dad's really worried for your safety, convince him to buy you a good jacket. You spent 2 lakhs on the bike. Spend the 10-15k on gear. God forbid, you should never have to use the gear for what it's meant for, but in the situation, you'll thank yourself for getting the gear!
    Don't matter what it is: Touring; Racing; Commuting. All I know is, I belong on the saddle.

    Rides : Honda CB Twister(Feb 2011 - Present) | TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS(Sept 2012 - May 2016) | Honda CBR250R C-ABS Repsol(March 2017 - Present)

    Break-in tension? Read this.

    Love camping and riding? Google - On Rustic Routes.


Similar Threads

  1. Honda CBR 250r Review: CBR 250 vs Ninja 250
    By Sunny in forum Bike Reviews
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 03:12 PM
  3. Honda CBR 250R in Europe!
    By cesar in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •