Got hold of my old ZMA for the last week, and after a much-needed service, had a quick spin for 250 kms today to relive some old memories. Did some off-roading too which I liked a lot. Front suspension doing good after the fork oil change, rear suspension is at soft setting and is excellent for single rider; flew over minor potholes without any issue. The bike quickly reaches 90 kmph, but takes time after it to reach 110, which was all I could manage in that road. On uneven roads, the front wheel (stock) feels a little nervous and sways a little though it goes in the line that I wanted to. It could be due to the rear heavy Sirac 120 which has become a little flat due to ware. On normal roads though the bike's stability is good; I could leave my hands off the handle at 80 kmph too with bike going straight line.
The following needs to be taken care of:
1. Front tyre replacement as its completely worn out.
2. Rear could go for another 3-4k kms, but planning to go for Sirac 100, which is a lighter tyre and will not put much stress at the crank.
3. Tensioner needs replacement (thinking of replacing the cam chain too).
4. A little bit of harshness there in the engine, may be due to faulty tensioner. The bike has put 49k on the odo, needs to check for any other quirks in the engine.
5. Sprocket and chain making a bit of noise. Will have to see if they need replacement, though the mechanic said 'chaltha hai', but I doubt it.
6. Front cowls making a little noise in potholes, needs to apply some white tape near the console to control this.
7. Need to check for any rim bends, though appear fine while riding. They are stock yet. Considering amount of touring I did on bad roads, they are doing excellent.
Horn is very weak and needs replacement. There is a delayed sound after I press the switch, which is probably due to rusty contacts; need to check this. The headlight is Osram 55/60W and is doing fine, but needed little focus adjustment.
Braking seems to be quite good, but need to check the pads (not original I guess) and if needed planning to buy the N250R pads, as suggested by Sriram.
FE, so far it gave me 34 kmpl with cruising at 80-90 kmph, and still going. May be I get 36-38 kmpl.
And the pic of this 5+ year old ZMA