Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Learn & practice evasive maneuvers.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Yasser View Post
    Out on a ride a couple of days back, I faced my first problem with my Ninja. The bike suddenly lost all power and the engine started giving a low growl. Something similar to what happens when the fuel is running out. I could keep the engine running only as long as the throttle was open.

    Luckily there was a friends place near by where I stopped for an hour or so. When I started the bike after the break it fired properly and I took off for the rest of my ride, during which I noticed only a very minor loss of power.

    I checked the fuel as well as the temp gauge both of which were in acceptable range. I assumed the fuel to be the culprit (although I use only Shell Premium) and forgot all about it till my next ride.

    The next day the problem came back again and it was much worse. After running a few kms, once the engine was hot the problem re-occured. I took the bike back home and decided to test it the next day.

    The next day again I noticed this was happening when the engine was heated although the gauge was within the red zone. I spoke to Arif at PBK and took it for a check up. Although I rode as slow as possible the engine was very hot by the time I reached PBK.

    As soon as the side panel was removed, the problem was staring at us..the cap on the spark plug was dislodged from the top. All Arif did was to put it back on and the bike was back to its normal self.

    When I asked him the reasons as to how the cap could have been dislodged, he said it was due to pressure build up! In the spark plug??

    Although the problem got solved, I did not get satisfactory answers to my queries. Which I hope I will get here..so here they are:

    1) How and why did the cap get dislodged?
    2) If the problem was because of the spark plug, why only after a few kms?
    3) Why was the engine becoming hot?
    Yasser this is the exact same problem that was faced by me. I would like to get to an answer to any of these questions as well.

    Just a sidebar, have you been indulging in any kind of off-roading/bad-roading off late?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Hyperion View Post
      Yasser this is the exact same problem that was faced by me. I would like to get to an answer to any of these questions as well.

      Just a sidebar, have you been indulging in any kind of off-roading/bad-roading off late?
      Off roading..nope! but bad roading...well you can't avoid them in Hyderabad. But I have always been careful.
      The company I keep:
      Yamaha Rx100
      Yamaha RD 350 (HT)
      Bajaj Pulsar 150
      Kawasaki Ninja 250r

      RIDE SAFE! IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOU, WHO'LL TAKE CARE OF YOUR BIKE?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Yasser View Post
        Off roading..nope! but bad roading...well you can't avoid them in Hyderabad. But I have always been careful.
        Like Vishwas brother did, you guys must consider escalating the issue to get a satisfactory answer/solution to the problem.

        Comment


        • Reply

          Originally posted by Yasser View Post
          Out on a ride a couple of days back, I faced my first problem with my Ninja. The bike suddenly lost all power and the engine started giving a low growl. Something similar to what happens when the fuel is running out. I could keep the engine running only as long as the throttle was open.

          Luckily there was a friends place near by where I stopped for an hour or so. When I started the bike after the break it fired properly and I took off for the rest of my ride, during which I noticed only a very minor loss of power.

          I checked the fuel as well as the temp gauge both of which were in acceptable range. I assumed the fuel to be the culprit (although I use only Shell Premium) and forgot all about it till my next ride.

          The next day the problem came back again and it was much worse. After running a few kms, once the engine was hot the problem re-occured. I took the bike back home and decided to test it the next day.

          The next day again I noticed this was happening when the engine was heated although the gauge was within the red zone. I spoke to Arif at PBK and took it for a check up. Although I rode as slow as possible the engine was very hot by the time I reached PBK.

          As soon as the side panel was removed, the problem was staring at us..the cap on the spark plug was dislodged from the top. All Arif did was to put it back on and the bike was back to its normal self.

          When I asked him the reasons as to how the cap could have been dislodged, he said it was due to pressure build up! In the spark plug??

          Although the problem got solved, I did not get satisfactory answers to my queries. Which I hope I will get here..so here they are:
          1) How and why did the cap get dislodged?

          This usually happens if the cap has not been placed properly during a service and the bike is ridden on bad roads due to vibration.


          2) If the problem was because of the spark plug, why only after a few kms?

          3) Why was the engine becoming hot?

          As the engine is capable of delivering the torque, during the first few kms the fuel buildup in the dead cylinder will be less and not put strain on the functioning cylinder. Once the build up is sufficient the functioning cylinder will have to move both its cylinder and the dead cylinder thereby increasing the work load and hence the drop in power and the heat generation.
          For mental health..

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ashutosh_x View Post
            Like Vishwas brother did, you guys must consider escalating the issue to get a satisfactory answer/solution to the problem.
            +1. There is a phone number (toll free?) on the owners manual for any complaints / suggestions (first page i guess).

            Please call this number and register a complaint.

            Issues like this make me nervous especially before a long ride out of the city limits. If there were many service centers like maruti has, then i wouldnt be so worried.
            ATGATT - Because hospital ceilings are boring !!!

            Comment


            • Pune PBK arranging G2G for Ninja owners on Sat 30th Oct

              Friends,

              I got a call yesterday from Pune PBK. They are arranging G2G on 30th Oct at 10AM for the Ninja owners near Ruby Hall. They have plans for some ppt, DIY for Ninja and a small ride. Also Kawasaki folks will be in town and they will reveal their India plans. Hope to meet fellow xbhpians there

              Who else got the call and plan to join?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by amitredefined View Post
                Friends,

                I got a call yesterday from Pune PBK. They are arranging G2G on 30th Oct at 10AM for the Ninja owners near Ruby Hall. They have plans for some ppt, DIY for Ninja and a small ride. Also Kawasaki folks will be in town and they will reveal their India plans. Hope to meet fellow xbhpians there

                Who else got the call and plan to join?
                Originally posted by amitredefined
                Friends,

                I got a call yesterday from Pune PBK. They are arranging G2G on 30th Oct at 10AM for the Ninja owners near Ruby Hall. They have plans for some ppt, DIY for Ninja and a small ride. Also Kawasaki folks will be in town and they will reveal their India plans. Hope to meet fellow xbhpians there

                Who else got the call?
                Why are you posting it twice here & once in the pune G2G thread.

                It is considered as spamming & against the rules.
                NOT BEEN THERE NOT DONE THAT

                Comment


                • Originally posted by amitredefined View Post
                  Friends,

                  I got a call yesterday from Pune PBK. They are arranging G2G on 30th Oct at 10AM for the Ninja owners near Ruby Hall. They have plans for some ppt, DIY for Ninja and a small ride. Also Kawasaki folks will be in town and they will reveal their India plans. Hope to meet fellow xbhpians there

                  Who else got the call and plan to join?
                  I had got a call from them about a week back. They were supposed to send an official email but I havent got it yet. I am planning to attend.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Hyperion View Post
                    I had got a call from them about a week back. They were supposed to send an official email but I havent got it yet. I am planning to attend.
                    same here. Still no mail or schedule. Lunch at Le meridian.
                    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

                    Check out my Ladakh travelogue - Ladakh Ride 2010

                    If you are getting bored with nothing to do in office check out my Rajasthan travelogue - Rajasthan Ride 2012

                    Bank loans for used superbikes is possible - Bank loans for used superbikes

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by trustvishwas View Post
                      same here. Still no mail or schedule. Lunch at Le meridian.
                      I didnt recieve any call yet. Seems they dont want me there.

                      Comment


                      • was waiting for this to be here, got a call a week back but no updates after that. btw what is the ride all about? anybody care to explain

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Itzli View Post
                          1) How and why did the cap get dislodged?

                          This usually happens if the cap has not been placed properly during a service and the bike is ridden on bad roads due to vibration.


                          2) If the problem was because of the spark plug, why only after a few kms?

                          3) Why was the engine becoming hot?

                          As the engine is capable of delivering the torque, during the first few kms the fuel buildup in the dead cylinder will be less and not put strain on the functioning cylinder. Once the build up is sufficient the functioning cylinder will have to move both its cylinder and the dead cylinder thereby increasing the work load and hence the drop in power and the heat generation.
                          Makes immense sense...
                          The company I keep:
                          Yamaha Rx100
                          Yamaha RD 350 (HT)
                          Bajaj Pulsar 150
                          Kawasaki Ninja 250r

                          RIDE SAFE! IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOU, WHO'LL TAKE CARE OF YOUR BIKE?

                          Comment


                          • The Beast

                            Whats better than a Mean Green Ninja 250R with Two Bros Carbon Exhaust, Fender Eliminator Kit and a Carbon Fiber tank pad ? NOTHING ! \m/ In love with the beast all over again ! ♥
                            The only thing standing in your way, the ONLY thing you can count on, at any given time.. Is YOU

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by burninrubbr View Post
                              Whats better than a Mean Green Ninja 250R with Two Bros Carbon Exhaust, Fender Eliminator Kit and a Carbon Fiber tank pad ? NOTHING ! \m/ In love with the beast all over again ! ♥
                              pictures please.. planning such mods for a while, could you give more details

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Itzli View Post
                                1) How and why did the cap get dislodged?

                                This usually happens if the cap has not been placed properly during a service and the bike is ridden on bad roads due to vibration.


                                2) If the problem was because of the spark plug, why only after a few kms?

                                3) Why was the engine becoming hot?

                                As the engine is capable of delivering the torque, during the first few kms the fuel buildup in the dead cylinder will be less and not put strain on the functioning cylinder. Once the build up is sufficient the functioning cylinder will have to move both its cylinder and the dead cylinder thereby increasing the work load and hence the drop in power and the heat generation.
                                Itzli: You're right in conjecturing about the first point - the reason why the plug came loose. Your reasoning for the second is however erroneous.

                                The engine is overheating and the problems is precipitated by a few kilometers of running not because of fuel accumulation inside the cylinder with the non-functioning spark plug. 4-stroke engines work on the principle of forced expulsion of gases during the exhaust stroke i.e the piston pushes the gases out of the cylinder with force during its upstroke with the exhaust valve open. So nothing accumulates inside the cylinder as long as the valves are opening and closing as they should.

                                The 'delayed' heating up and loss of power happening in Yaseer's bike is due to two reasons.
                                1. That the engine is running on only one cylinder and that is overloading the engine by itself. Any constant overloading of an IC engine will lead to overheating.
                                2. The same working cylinder is also carrying the load of the non-functional cylinder which is just running as a power-sapping pump!

                                These two tasks are putting too much load on the single functioning cylinder. The overloading induces a heat build up, which at first is coped with well by the liquid cooling but after a while there's more heat being added to the system than it is capable of rejecting. As a conjecture, had this been an air-cooled engine, the few kilometers would have been reduced to just a kilometer or two. Also a loose spark-plug cable weakens the spark (in case the plug cap is loose but resting on the spark-plug top), so effectively retarding the ignition and producing lots of residual heat in the faulty cylinder which fires intermittently.

                                Interestingly, air-head Harley's at one time had a 'parade mode' selectable by the rider. This had to do with constant low speed low gear operation, like in a parade, that would lead to the rear cylinder in a V-twin heating up due to the lack of cooling air circulation around it and at times seizing. The rider could switch off the rear cylinder's ignition while in the parade to stop that heat build-up. Of course, even a single cylinder firing on a 1200cc engine produced enough torque to keep the bike going effortlessly at low speeds.
                                Last edited by Old Fox; 10-26-2010, 10:15 PM.
                                I don't let my motorcycles interfere with my motorcycling...

                                Join xBhp On

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X