Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

All the gear all the time (ATGATT).

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Enfield Himalayan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

    Originally posted by maadyy View Post
    as of now i have ridden 883 km's. I have decided to ditch the re service centres. So went for oil change from my garage and switched to motul 300v ,oil filter and air filter change. But there is an additional noise kind of coarse in nature. This started cropping up while i was about to complete 500km mark. Now this is quite apparent and specifically it crops up when i am riding in first gear and crossing 20 kmph mark. Riding in top gear under 3k rpm it seems to be okay, but when i cross 3k rpm the sound again tends to crop up.

    Any idea what might be the reason.

    in my reh ive ridden 1500kms, theres a noise like tappet sound or something broken khil khil
    while riding or decelerating.. Aftr 5000 rpm it goes bt at 3rd or 4th gear normal speeds it irritates so mch.
    Svc says its timing's sound.

    Comment


    • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

      Originally posted by MONKEYREV View Post
      in my reh ive ridden 1500kms, theres a noise like tappet sound or something broken khil khil
      while riding or decelerating.. Aftr 5000 rpm it goes bt at 3rd or 4th gear normal speeds it irritates so mch.
      Svc says its timing's sound.
      Mine is not tappet sound. It's more of a coarse screaming sort of other than engine.
      b SANE to b insane!
      skype: maadyy06

      Comment


      • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

        Originally posted by maadyy View Post
        As of now I have ridden 883 km's. I have decided to ditch the RE service centres. So went for oil change from my garage and switched to Motul 300V ,oil filter and air filter change. But there is an additional noise kind of coarse in nature. This started cropping up while I was about to complete 500km mark. Now this is quite apparent and specifically it crops up when I am riding in first gear and crossing 20 kmph mark. Riding in top gear under 3k RPM it seems to be okay, but when I cross 3K RPM the sound again tends to crop up.

        Any idea what might be the reason.
        I've recommend this notion to everyone. Do not use Motul 300V. This engine oil isn't meant to handle the heat and stress that the Himalayan throws at it. Motul 300V is purely an overkill for our types of engine and the load its subject to. It doesn't last long, it's a one time, race it, drain it type oil. The oil is extremely thin and once it heats up, it becomes to almost watery consistency which would mean, harsher engine, engine ticking away to glory and rough shifts. Switch back to Motul 5100 or 7100 both are extremely good oils. My personal preference after using and recommend you to use 5100 and/or Shell Advance AX7 15w50. The engine will get coarser once its up to its operating temperature with 300V. Consider the money spent is on beer party for your friends, and get it replaced.

        Cheers!
        VJ
        Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?'
        The girl said, 'NO!'


        And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and watched sport on a big screen TV, went fishing and surfing, and played golf a lot, and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.


        THE END

        Comment


        • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

          Originally posted by B7ACKTHORN View Post
          I've recommend this notion to everyone. Do not use Motul 300V. This engine oil isn't meant to handle the heat and stress that the Himalayan throws at it. Motul 300V is purely an overkill for our types of engine and the load its subject to. It doesn't last long, it's a one time, race it, drain it type oil. The oil is extremely thin and once it heats up, it becomes to almost watery consistency which would mean, harsher engine, engine ticking away to glory and rough shifts. Switch back to Motul 5100 or 7100 both are extremely good oils. My personal preference after using and recommend you to use 5100 and/or Shell Advance AX7 15w50. The engine will get coarser once its up to its operating temperature with 300V. Consider the money spent is on beer party for your friends, and get it replaced.

          Cheers!
          VJ
          Thanks a Lot B7ACKTHORN for your feedback. After changing engine oil & oil filter I was expecting a smoother engine. Will try as suggested and post the feedback.

          ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

          For city use I am thinking of upgrading my rear tyre to PSD / Metzler/ Michelin. Any feedback?
          b SANE to b insane!
          skype: maadyy06

          Comment


          • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

            Originally posted by maadyy View Post
            Mine is not tappet sound. It's more of a coarse screaming sort of other than engine.
            mine is also coarse sound like when riding, svc telling its timing chain sound. very irritating..

            Comment


            • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

              As of now completed 1000km's. The engine sound I was thinking of is not so. It turned out to be the wind shield s the spoilt sport. However there is a change in heat dissipation after switching to Motul 5100 15W50 form Motul 300V. 3 days ago I went on to meet Mr Hemant from HDT Customs. He is an owner of Himalayan BS3 and told me that he is using 300v since day 1. Anyways I am not much convinced with Motul 300V. The operating temperature is still same but the engine appears to be cooler than before. As of now I have kept varying the RPM from 3 to 4 now I have started varying it from 4 to 5.

              ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

              There are users complaining about ABS. IN person also I have met riders who has a point about ABS not performing at par. But to my experience it's other way round as there are situations where ABS turns out to be good. Though the rear tyre at times tend to get lock and starts fish tailing. Anyone with similar kind of experience?
              b SANE to b insane!
              skype: maadyy06

              Comment


              • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                Originally posted by MONKEYREV View Post
                in my reh ive ridden 1500kms, theres a noise like tappet sound or something broken khil khil
                while riding or decelerating.. Aftr 5000 rpm it goes bt at 3rd or 4th gear normal speeds it irritates so mch.
                Svc says its timing's sound.
                Hi Monkeyrev, what svc says about timing chain sound, will it settle down after sometime or it is normal or need rectification?

                ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                Originally posted by maadyy View Post
                As of now completed 1000km's. The engine sound I was thinking of is not so. It turned out to be the wind shield s the spoilt sport. However there is a change in heat dissipation after switching to Motul 5100 15W50 form Motul 300V. 3 days ago I went on to meet Mr Hemant from HDT Customs. He is an owner of Himalayan BS3 and told me that he is using 300v since day 1. Anyways I am not much convinced with Motul 300V. The operating temperature is still same but the engine appears to be cooler than before. As of now I have kept varying the RPM from 3 to 4 now I have started varying it from 4 to 5.

                ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                There are users complaining about ABS. IN person also I have met riders who has a point about ABS not performing at par. But to my experience it's other way round as there are situations where ABS turns out to be good. Though the rear tyre at times tend to get lock and starts fish tailing. Anyone with similar kind of experience?
                Hi maadyy, Motul 15W50 is the best oil for RE. What change you found in engine noise, heat, performance after using motul 15W50?
                I just did first service with RE oil replaced at 500kms, will put motul 15W50 after 1000kms.

                Comment


                • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                  Originally posted by I_Ride View Post
                  Hi Monkeyrev, what svc says about timing chain sound, will it settle down after sometime or it is normal or need rectification?

                  ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----



                  Hi maadyy, Motul 15W50 is the best oil for RE. What change you found in engine noise, heat, performance after using motul 15W50?
                  I just did first service with RE oil replaced at 500kms, will put motul 15W50 after 1000kms.

                  Motul 300V was also 15W 50. 15w 50 is the grade , right now I am using 5100, you may also opt for 7100 that is semi synthetic.
                  b SANE to b insane!
                  skype: maadyy06

                  Comment


                  • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                    Originally posted by maadyy View Post
                    Motul 300V was also 15W 50. 15w 50 is the grade , right now I am using 5100, you may also opt for 7100 that is semi synthetic.
                    Yup, i meant 5100, 15W50.
                    I doubt whether 7100 come with 15W50, i think it is 10W50. I used it in my B500, and engine sound increased as it is bit thinner compared to 15W50.

                    But how is 5100 on REH?

                    Comment


                    • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                      Originally posted by I_Ride View Post
                      Yup, i meant 5100, 15W50.
                      I doubt whether 7100 come with 15W50, i think it is 10W50. I used it in my B500, and engine sound increased as it is bit thinner compared to 15W50.

                      But how is 5100 on REH?
                      The immediate change is reduced engine heat. Earlier operating temperature as per console was around 45 to 49 now this has been reduced to 41 to 44. The engine feels like breathing better than before. For the first time today morning I have crossed 100 under 5k RPM. Can't tell you about the engine noise but the vibration was 0 and the bike was stable.
                      b SANE to b insane!
                      skype: maadyy06

                      Comment


                      • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                        Originally posted by maadyy View Post
                        The immediate change is reduced engine heat. Earlier operating temperature as per console was around 45 to 49 now this has been reduced to 41 to 44. The engine feels like breathing better than before. For the first time today morning I have crossed 100 under 5k RPM. Can't tell you about the engine noise but the vibration was 0 and the bike was stable.
                        Beautiful. See, that's why I said, the right engine oil makes the difference. People have a notion that expensive is good, that's not the case at all.

                        Cheers!
                        VJ
                        Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?'
                        The girl said, 'NO!'


                        And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and watched sport on a big screen TV, went fishing and surfing, and played golf a lot, and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.


                        THE END

                        Comment


                        • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                          [QUOTE=I_Ride;1370839]Hi Monkeyrev, what svc says about timing chain sound, will it settle down after sometime or it is normal or need rectification?

                          [THEY SAY ITS TENTIONER MAKING SOUND THEY'LL REPLACE THE TENTIONER & SEE IF SOUND GOES. THE SOUND MAILY HEAR WHEN DEACELARATING.. THRILL THILL LIKE IRON VIBRATING SOUND..

                          Comment


                          • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                            Originally posted by maadyy View Post
                            As of now I have ridden 883 km's. I have decided to ditch the RE service centres. So went for oil change from my garage and switched to Motul 300V ,oil filter and air filter change. But there is an additional noise kind of coarse in nature. This started cropping up while I was about to complete 500km mark. Now this is quite apparent and specifically it crops up when I am riding in first gear and crossing 20 kmph mark. Riding in top gear under 3k RPM it seems to be okay, but when I cross 3K RPM the sound again tends to crop up.

                            Any idea what might be the reason.
                            Motul 300V is a high-performance oil, its best for high stress, low duration requirements, like a track day on a high revving engine. I have seen many people do the mistake of using it for regular or touring use and face roughness in the engines. The reason is it's not meant for long life. Also is way thinner than regular oils so does not stick well to the engine parts over time.

                            In case of doubt stick to factory recommended oils. If you want to use Motul try the 7100 10w40 or 10w50, it will work fine.

                            I would recommend using Polytron MTC along with your regular engine oil, it makes the engine super smooth and gear shifts slick.
                            Last edited by brokenbinil; 04-10-2019, 05:41 PM.
                            i don't have a carbon footprint, i ride everywhere !

                            TNT 300 Ownership Review
                            TNT 300 Longterm Ownership Review - 24000km
                            TNT 300 - DIY - Mudguard/Flap Extension
                            TNT 300 - DIY - Retrofitting 2016 DNA Airfilter in 2015 TNT 300 Airbox

                            Comment


                            • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                              [QUOTE=MONKEYREV;1370927]
                              Originally posted by I_Ride View Post
                              Hi Monkeyrev, what svc says about timing chain sound, will it settle down after sometime or it is normal or need rectification?

                              [THEY SAY ITS TENTIONER MAKING SOUND THEY'LL REPLACE THE TENTIONER & SEE IF SOUND GOES. THE SOUND MAILY HEAR WHEN DEACELARATING.. THRILL THILL LIKE IRON VIBRATING SOUND..
                              How old is your motorcycle and how much has it clocked till now? Tensioners last long before they give up. Is it possible for you to provide a sound clip or something similar? Also when quoting don't remove the [ /QUOTE ] that is on the end, otherwise your answer and the quote will be garbled up and appear the same.

                              Cheers!
                              VJ
                              Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?'
                              The girl said, 'NO!'


                              And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and watched sport on a big screen TV, went fishing and surfing, and played golf a lot, and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.


                              THE END

                              Comment


                              • Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan

                                I have been using Liquimoly 15w50 recently and it works like a charm, bike just thrums along

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X