Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Avoid staying around those big vehicles.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The POWERHOUSE Fz18

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mad Mik View Post
    I've got my pass switch hooked up as per normal, But I only hit it if i've got the lights on already.
    Same here Mik. What I wanted to say was that i don't use the pass light switch without the HIDs ON already.. Or else it puts a lot of stress on the Bulb and the ballast.

    Cheers,
    A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

    Comment


    • Originally posted by shv18 View Post
      Hi All,

      I finally got hold of rider abhimanyu31 and bugged him to the core to help me get the HID kit installed. We landed up at one of his trusted mechanic's workshop and got the whole deed done. Below are some of the images:


      The initial experience: The HID lights up pretty fast and i have not observed any flickering so far. The more the HID heats up, the more intense the light becomes. I am happy to announce that the initial expectation i had with the intensity of the light without compromising or putting stress on the electricals has turned out just fine for me. I now will have to adjust the solenoid mechanism to get the beam spread on the low and high beam throw a little bit better. Since, everything was done in day light it was not possible to get the work done at that point of time. Anyways, my servicing is due soon so shall bug my boys at Kamla Yamaha to get the deed done.


      As suggested by Luke, the Pass light as of now will be avoided as it puts too much stress on the HID bulb.

      I shall post my experience as i continue clocking more miles on my ride. ODO reading is somewhere arounf 23,422 kms as of now.

      My ride is giving me little niggling troubles in terms of not responding sometimes to my throttle input so shall pay a visit to the SVC this coming Monday and get the servicing done along with rest of the health check ups till i can get my hands on the pending kits from RC to perform the heart surgery.

      Cheers,
      The HID setup looks SWEET to say the least. And to my surprise the double angel eye set is looking very good.
      Heck it looks cool even in the morning without the the lights on, just the projector in the dome.

      The intensity is good if as per your report it was a bright afternoon that time. Looks definitely worth it.
      Take it out for a ride in the dark soon and post the results.
      ----------------------
      My FZ was holding up good but now there seems to be noise emanating from the tappets.
      Also there seems to be a flat spot after 5k rpm, below which its very good.

      The mechanic i know has no clue and is guessing it may be because of the mild lift camshaft.
      I gotta find someone soon.

      And one more observation is that the gears are slick and smooth when i start the bike.
      But as the engine warms up the gears tend to become hard.

      Strange as it may seem i ahve no idea what's causing this. I am still thinking about these issues.
      Any input would be good.

      cheers...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by N-o-v-i-c-e View Post
        The HID setup looks SWEET to say the least. And to my surprise the double angel eye set is looking very good.
        Heck it looks cool even in the morning without the the lights on, just the projector in the dome.

        The intensity is good if as per your report it was a bright afternoon that time. Looks definitely worth it.
        Take it out for a ride in the dark soon and post the results.
        ----------------------
        My FZ was holding up good but now there seems to be noise emanating from the tappets.
        Also there seems to be a flat spot after 5k rpm, below which its very good.

        The mechanic i know has no clue and is guessing it may be because of the mild lift camshaft.
        I gotta find someone soon.

        And one more observation is that the gears are slick and smooth when i start the bike.
        But as the engine warms up the gears tend to become hard.

        Strange as it may seem i ahve no idea what's causing this. I am still thinking about these issues.
        Any input would be good.

        cheers...
        If you have finished your run-in period try shifting to a thicker grade of engine oil say Motul 7100 20W 50 FS oil and then see.. May be you need to relook at the clutch springs if they have been installed correctly. Re-adjust the tappets to the settings mentioned to you by Joel. I guess most likely the sound is because of the camshaft which will die down as you continue clocking more miles on your souped up ride.

        If you still have any doubts then I would suggest you to do a fresh inspection once of the whole kit. I know it sounds like a major pain to re-look at everything by checking everything right from dismatling to re-installation but i guess it will help you negate some of the suspicions you may have with the kit in terms of any possibilities of wrong installation or anything.

        Flat spot clearly means that the tuning has not been done right.

        HID is good enough and indeed very very bright.. just needs some minute adjustments to make the low and high beam look better. I have further reduced the electrical consumption of the bike by making the pilot lamp from 5 watts stock to 1 watt LED. I am still contemplating if i should change the rear tail lights from stock to LED.. but its just that i like the intensity of the stock tail light.. i don't know why call me crazy .

        Rest the build is pending till Joel sends me the kits. Until then the hot roding project is suspended till further notice.


        Cheers,
        A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

        Comment


        • Re: The POWERHOUSE Fz18

          Originally posted by shv18 View Post
          I am still contemplating if i should change the rear tail lights from stock to LED.. but its just that i like the intensity of the stock tail light.. i don't know why call me crazy .



          Cheers,
          I use a led tail light, made by a friend. It uses 90+ red LEDs and it blinds people





          Sent from my WT19i
          Yamaha YZF-R15

          Riding a motorcycle is like living in a video game where people are trying to kill you.

          Rjays swift riding jacket reviewed in detail || Cramster twister gloves reviewed

          Comment


          • Originally posted by christo View Post
            I use a led tail light, made by a friend. It uses 90+ red LEDs and it blinds people

            Sent from my WT19i
            Hehe its not just the intensity but the looks also. I like the looks of the stock incandescent bulb.. LED you get a different look like black spots in between the spaces which i am not a big fan of... hope you get the point.

            Cheers,
            A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

            Comment


            • Re: The POWERHOUSE Fz18

              Originally posted by shv18 View Post
              Hehe its not just the intensity but the looks also. I like the looks of the stock incandescent bulb.. LED you get a different look like black spots in between the spaces which i am not a big fan of... hope you get the point.

              Cheers,
              I get the idea but 90+ LEDs means theres hardly any space left inside so there's no black spots
              Btw all the aftermarket led tail lights I saw has couple of big LEDs inside, which I really didn't like



              Sent from my WT19i
              Yamaha YZF-R15

              Riding a motorcycle is like living in a video game where people are trying to kill you.

              Rjays swift riding jacket reviewed in detail || Cramster twister gloves reviewed

              Comment


              • Hi all,

                Just an update. I got a confirmation from Joel that he is procuring a new FZ engine head in a day or two and the headwork will start right away. So hopefully by the end of this month I should be receiving the carb and the head. Rest all is Hunky dory with her. Just got the 9th servicing done. Now she is running butter smooth. I am happy to annouce that the factory stock brakes are still going on strong.

                With my friend earlier over using the rear brakes way more than normally I would, during my absence I was almost certain that I will have to get both of the brakes replaced. But the inspection revealed otherwise. The stock clutchplates are also running great. I guess minimal usuage of half clutching plus periodic maintenance of filling fresh engine oil and oil filter have further extended the life of it. Let's see if they survive till 30-35k kms.Will keep you guys posted.

                Cheers,
                Last edited by shv18; 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM.
                A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

                Comment


                • Originally posted by N-o-v-i-c-e View Post
                  ----------------------
                  My FZ was holding up good but now there seems to be noise emanating from the tappets.
                  Also there seems to be a flat spot after 5k rpm, below which its very good.

                  The mechanic i know has no clue and is guessing it may be because of the mild lift camshaft.
                  I gotta find someone soon.

                  And one more observation is that the gears are slick and smooth when i start the bike.
                  But as the engine warms up the gears tend to become hard.

                  Strange as it may seem i ahve no idea what's causing this. I am still thinking about these issues.
                  Any input would be good.

                  cheers...

                  Hi Novice

                  Same thing happening to me except the flat spots which you are experiencing on high-end and for me it's just reverse, I'm experiencing flat spots in low-end (jerking type) because the slide is in position 1 and the jet is of 125 size.

                  The right size jet is 117.5 or 120(which can also be compensated). I wonder why it takes lot of time to source a small screw for Joel whereas he does tons of modds to different bikes. It's been almost 3 months after souping up my new engine and I'm really frustrated to get that small screw.

                  I'm also experiencing heavy noises and my babe's doctor also has no clue about the noise and I'm also experiencing hard gears during running. And my mechanic also is guessing that it's everything to do with camshaft. He says some camshaft are not silent.

                  Actually few days ago, I suspected bore-kit failure because of this heavy noise and I made him open up the whole thing and look what has happened and I couldn't find any scratches or damage, either to piston or cylinder and I'm bit happy except the jet and the noises.

                  The tappets have also been checked and both the inlet and exhaust are in right measurements.


                  I think it's all part and parcel of mind-blowing performance at the cost of these noises and tuning issues.

                  It would have been nice for Joel to source the jets and give to all who need it and bless our ride.
                  Last edited by jonahmano; 01-16-2013, 01:01 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Re: The POWERHOUSE Fz18

                    Hi, I believe you own the first batch fz, the 2009 or 2010 fz with 1bhp more than the 2011/12 version right?
                    Could you please share the stock carb jet sizes?
                    Also why don't you go for a vm28 carb? According to experts, it's jets are easy to source also there wont be any CV lags





                    Sent from my WT19i
                    Last edited by christo; 01-16-2013, 01:06 AM.
                    Yamaha YZF-R15

                    Riding a motorcycle is like living in a video game where people are trying to kill you.

                    Rjays swift riding jacket reviewed in detail || Cramster twister gloves reviewed

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by christo View Post
                      Hi, I believe you own the first batch fz, the 2009 or 2010 fz with 1bhp more than the 2011/12 version right?
                      Could you please share the stock carb jet sizes?
                      Also why don't you go for a vm28 carb? According to experts, it's jets are easy to source also there wont be any CV lags





                      Sent from my WT19i

                      Stock Carb jet size is 112.5

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by shv18 View Post
                        If you have finished your run-in period try shifting to a thicker grade of engine oil say Motul 7100 20W 50 FS oil and then see...................................

                        If you still have any doubts then I would suggest you to do a fresh inspection once of the whole kit. .................................................. .........
                        Flat spot clearly means that the tuning has not been done right................................

                        HID is good enough and indeed very very bright.. just needs some minute adjustments to make the low and high beam look better. I have further reduced the electrical consumption of the bike by making the pilot lamp from 5 watts stock to 1 watt LED. I am still contemplating if i should change the rear tail lights from stock to LED.. but its just that i like the intensity of the stock tail light.. i don't know why call me crazy .

                        With my friend earlier over using the rear brakes way more than normally I would, during my absence I was almost certain that I will have to get both of the brakes replaced. But the inspection revealed otherwise. The stock clutchplates are also running great. I guess minimal usuage of half clutching plus periodic maintenance of filling fresh engine oil and oil filter have further extended the life of it. Let's see if they survive till 30-35k kms.Will keep you guys posted.

                        Cheers,
                        My bike has completed just 550km after the retrofitting. I was diagnosed with chronic liver inflammation in December as i had told you guys.
                        So biking or any other kinda outing is very minimal at present and the foreseeable future.

                        But i think i need to do a complete inspection of the bike, but my mechanic is 100% sure that the noise is emanating from the mild-lift camshaft.
                        Coz the tappets are adjusted exactly as per Joel's instructions. The tappet noise is really nasty. It wont die down completely even after proper run-in of the bike.
                        That i am sure of.

                        Even my clutch plates and brakes are stock and good after 23k on ODO. Just got them checked. And no you are not crazy for keeping the tail light stock.

                        Originally posted by jonahmano View Post
                        Hi Novice

                        Same thing happening to me except the flat spots which you are experiencing on high-end and for me it's just reverse, I'm experiencing flat spots in low-end (jerking type) because the slide is in position 1 and the jet is of 125 size.

                        The right size jet is 117.5 or 120(which can also be compensated). I wonder why it takes lot of time to source a small screw for Joel whereas he does tons of modds to different bikes. It's been almost 3 months after souping up my new engine and I'm really frustrated to get that small screw.

                        I'm also experiencing heavy noises and my babe's doctor also has no clue about the noise and I'm also experiencing hard gears during running. And my mechanic also is guessing that it's everything to do with camshaft. He says some camshaft are not silent.

                        Actually few days ago, I suspected bore-kit failure because of this heavy noise and I made him open up the whole thing and look what has happened and I couldn't find any scratches or damage, either to piston or cylinder and I'm bit happy except the jet and the noises.

                        The tappets have also been checked and both the inlet and exhaust are in right measurements.
                        I think it's all part and parcel of mind-blowing performance at the cost of these noises and tuning issues.

                        It would have been nice for Joel to source the jets and give to all who need it and bless our ride.
                        The big bore kit is fine. The new camshaft is the culprit. Its the source of all the noise in my and your bike.

                        Joel would have to get the a sufficient number of screws(jets) if he want any. Maybe thats why its getting late.
                        Just ask him the time. What's he saying?

                        I will have to re tune my bike and try again and then decide whether i need a different jet or not.

                        Originally posted by christo View Post
                        Hi, I believe you own the first batch fz, the 2009 or 2010 fz with 1bhp more than the 2011/12 version right?
                        Could you please share the stock carb jet sizes?
                        Also why don't you go for a vm28 carb? According to experts, it's jets are easy to source also there wont be any CV lags
                        Sent from my WT19i
                        Well...thts true...but the thing is i am lazy and would not get time to fiddle with the vm carb always.
                        A CV carb would be as stock as possible for me. Nothing else.

                        cheers...

                        Comment


                        • ^^ Let me confirm on the camshaft noise one I get the installation done. If 3 of our bikes have similar issues the we can conclude that it is an unwated side effect with the camshaft... Along with power comes the noise!!

                          @N-o-v-i-c-e: Keep a track of the glasswool in the FFE. If you have witnessed abhimanyu31's post on the same then you can figure out by now how much the back pressure and proper exit of gases affects the overall performance of the engine. Check with Joel if your current gen FFE can be filled with febreglass material which is heat resistant and thus gets rid of the problem of constantly maintaining it every 3-6 months/ certain no. Of kms.


                          Cheers,
                          A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by shv18 View Post
                            ^^ Let me confirm on the camshaft noise one I get the installation done. If 3 of our bikes have similar issues the we can conclude that it is an unwated side effect with the camshaft... Along with power comes the noise!!

                            @N-o-v-i-c-e: Keep a track of the glasswool in the FFE. If you have witnessed abhimanyu31's post on the same then you can figure out by now how much the back pressure and proper exit of gases affects the overall performance of the engine. Check with Joel if your current gen FFE can be filled with febreglass material which is heat resistant and thus gets rid of the problem of constantly maintaining it every 3-6 months/ certain no. Of kms.


                            Cheers,
                            I'm a silent viewer of this thread. Why did you mention that if the exhaust can filled with fiberglass ? Does the older gen RC exhausts give any problems when filled with fiberglass ? I'm using a 2012 feb model RC exhaust on my 220 and im filling up glasswool every 2 months and would love to get a substitute.

                            Cheers
                            Ride Safe
                            Krishna
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                            Run-in Procedure | Power Loss Solutions | Riding Gears 101 | Biking Brotherhood

                            P
                            ulsar 220F
                            |2013 Honda CBR250R|KTM Duke390|Yamaha R3|Yamaha R1|Triumph Tiger XRX

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by krish2778 View Post
                              I'm a silent viewer of this thread. Why did you mention that if the exhaust can filled with fiberglass ? Does the older gen RC exhausts give any problems when filled with fiberglass ? I'm using a 2012 feb model RC exhaust on my 220 and im filling up glasswool every 2 months and would love to get a substitute.

                              Cheers
                              Ride Safe
                              Krishna
                              Nope no such issues. The objective is to confirm with the tuner which is the correct grade of fibreglass material to put in the older gen of FFE which does the work and one doesnot need to replace it after one time installation. The newer gen SS grade exhausts announced by Joel will have this by default which will negate the need for re-filling till the bike dies or one is done with the exhaust.


                              Cheers,
                              A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by shv18 View Post
                                Nope no such issues. The objective is to confirm with the tuner which is the correct grade of fibreglass material to put in the older gen of FFE which does the work and one doesnot need to replace it after one time installation. The newer gen SS grade exhausts announced by Joel will have this by default which will negate the need for re-filling till the bike dies or one is done with the exhaust.


                                Cheers,
                                Thanks for the quick reply mate. I guess it's time to pester Joel again..!!!

                                Cheers
                                Ride Safe
                                Krishna
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                Run-in Procedure | Power Loss Solutions | Riding Gears 101 | Biking Brotherhood

                                P
                                ulsar 220F
                                |2013 Honda CBR250R|KTM Duke390|Yamaha R3|Yamaha R1|Triumph Tiger XRX

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X