Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Stop braking before you start turning.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KTM Duke 390 - Ownership Reviews and Experiences

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

    Guys have a query.
    My bikes front disk makes noise like that of two metal parts rubbing against each other but this happens only when I brake at slow speeds while coming to a halt.
    First is was not that noticeable but now it has become more prominent.
    What should I do guys?
    Please help.

    Sent from my GT-P3100 using xBhp Connect mobile app
    We Ride Together. We Die Together. Bad Boys For Life.

    Comment


    • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

      Originally posted by Junaid View Post
      Guys have a query.
      My bikes front disk makes noise like that of two metal parts rubbing against each other but this happens only when I brake at slow speeds while coming to a halt.
      First is was not that noticeable but now it has become more prominent.
      What should I do guys?
      Please help.



      Sent from my GT-P3100 using xBhp Connect mobile app
      Me too having similar kind of sound. In my case its a continuous loud squeal especially when braking hard and the sound becomes louder as the speed reduces. I had completed 3000 kms as of now. Will be heading to the SVC for sorting out the issue.
      A good thing is after a month of ownership, the seats have become much softer now, so too the clutch. Now feels more comfortable on the seat and left hand is not complaining much.

      Two Junaids here, joined in same month
      Last edited by junaid12345678; 11-30-2013, 01:49 AM.
      If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

      Comment


      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

        Originally posted by junaid12345678 View Post
        Me too having similar kind of sound. In my case its a continuous loud squeal especially when braking hard and the sound becomes louder as the speed reduces. I had completed 3000 kms as of now. Will be heading to the SVC for sorting out the issue.
        A good thing is after a month of ownership, the seats have become much softer now, so too the clutch. Now feels more comfortable on the seat and left hand is not complaining much.

        Two Junaids here, joined in same month
        Yaa looks like both Junaid's facing the same issues.

        Sent from my GT-P3100 using xBhp Connect mobile app
        We Ride Together. We Die Together. Bad Boys For Life.

        Comment


        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

          I am planning to do the following mods on my bike -

          > Slime or similar sealants in both tyre.

          > Dual horns. (Roots Smartone) Relays needed?

          > Phillips Extreme Vision

          > Small round convex mirror to help with blind spots.

          Any opinions on the above?
          Your biking tells a lot about the person you are!

          Comment


          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

            Originally posted by Legend Racer View Post
            great feeling. has been 8 years since i got a new bike.

            met vaishak, gaurav and naveen. Thanks vaishak for leading me from showroom.

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]126802[/ATTACH] 95 kms and i reached home from showroom.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]126804[/ATTACH] checked as much as i could. still left out. coolant cap was a bit loose and some coolant could be seen after i reached home. tightened it with hands later.

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]126805[/ATTACH] pic of my ride... the famous chain sound started before 50 kms.

            mistakes i did.
            It had been more than a year since a rode. i should have had ridden this bike extensively before taking out of the showroom. i almost ruined my 13 years biking experience. the showroom guys had to come back again after bidding good bye to help me out.

            as many said my bike just would not start without accelerator. i tried hell lot of times with only starter but nothing happened. i had to give a bit of throttle too. after 50kms i was getting used to gears and managing nil CLUNK sounds from gear box.

            another most important thing from my side is, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE IF YOUR USAGE IS MOSTLY IN CITY LIMITS. its almost like a diesel sedan. the heat is unforgiving below 40 km/hr. funny to see bike rolling in 1 and 2 gears without throttle. The clutch is damn heavy.

            brothers, the feeling is just beyond words. im lucky that 90% of my usage is on highways. i did a top speed of 90km/hr in 6th gear. did not touch 7.5k in any gear. treating the baby softly, i guess. this bike demands throttle.

            wanna go by rules of mamas, to keep below 50 km/hr... 4 th gear is the last possible for good ride.

            forgot to add. braking is a bit different on this. this bike needs engine braking well and it responds very well. i had a panic situation on highway while coming. with very fast engine braking and brake lever plays the speeds came down fast enough.

            got to build a lot of confidence and old instincts got to come gradually as it has been 1 year...
            My usage has been strictly within city at 4000kms done. Open highways might be around 500kms. I never had problem with the bike. Starts at first time. Heat is not unbearable even at bumper to bumper traffic.

            I guess you just need to get in sync with the bike. Never give accelerator while pressing the start button. Heat will gradually come down.
            2007 - Hero Honda CBZ Xtreme
            2008 - Yamaha YZF R15
            2009 - Hero Honda CBZ Xtreme
            2013 - KTM 390 Duke
            2017 - Yamaha FZ25

            Comment


            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

              I never had any starting issues so far. The bike just starts fine on the first press itself, anywhere and anytime. In case of stalling just do a fresh ignition cycle and the bike starts fine. And the heat is not that much bothering in any situations. Now an case fter clocking 3k, the bike runs much cooler compared to the running in days.

              Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
              Last edited by junaid12345678; 11-30-2013, 03:22 PM.
              If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

              Comment


              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                Originally posted by junaid12345678 View Post
                I never had any starting issues so far. The bike just starts fine on the first press itself, anywhere and anytime. In case of stalling just do a fresh ignition cycle and the bike starts fine. And the heat is not that much bothering in any situations. Now an case fter clocking 3k, the bike runs much cooler compared to the running in days.
                OT: Someone is falling in love with his bike!!

                Comment


                • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                  then, my bike has some problems. hope you all will understand and trust me here.

                  im not using it as im waiting for my helmet and jacket. so rode only about 90kms to home from showroom. 2 mornings now...today also in morning i encountered same starting problem. ignition, engine on switch, wait for 3 seconds, press starter button, crank and crank ( i crank for 3-4 seconds continuously) . bike just does not start. after 4-5 attempts i switch off key and after sometime i try again.
                  again same. after trying around 30 times the started 3 times and that too whenever i gave a bit of throttle.
                  the timing and amount of throttle needs to be very precise.
                  just did a few rounds in compound and kept it. Alas, when i stopped, it was idling for 10 seconds and all of a sudden it shut off automatically, making a sound as if bike stalls in a gear.

                  i think it surely got starting problem. whats the idling speed in tacho?
                  I'm a responsible rider.It doesn't matter what you ride,but what matters is how you ride.

                  Comment


                  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                    Originally posted by Legend Racer View Post
                    then, my bike has some problems. hope you all will understand and trust me here.

                    im not using it as im waiting for my helmet and jacket. so rode only about 90kms to home from showroom. 2 mornings now...today also in morning i encountered same starting problem. ignition, engine on switch, wait for 3 seconds, press starter button, crank and crank ( i crank for 3-4 seconds continuously) . bike just does not start. after 4-5 attempts i switch off key and after sometime i try again.
                    again same. after trying around 30 times the started 3 times and that too whenever i gave a bit of throttle.
                    the timing and amount of throttle needs to be very precise.
                    just did a few rounds in compound and kept it. Alas, when i stopped, it was idling for 10 seconds and all of a sudden it shut off automatically, making a sound as if bike stalls in a gear.

                    i think it surely got starting problem. whats the idling speed in tacho?
                    I think this definitely is not normal with the bike. Once the bike has been turned on, ECU automatically adjusts the rest rpm so that engine does not shutdown.
                    Normally the idling RPM is 1.4-1.5K. But, here, in Delhi the weather has started to get a bit cold, therefore, when I start the bike in morning, the idling RPM goes to 1.9-2K so as to warm the engine quickly. Rest of the day the idling RPM comes back to normal (~1.5).

                    Comment


                    • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                      On KTM India site I see weight without fuel as 139 kg but in KTM 390 manual its mentioned 154 kg witout fuel...I hope we get the bike weighing 139 kg only as I appears to be lighter than m previous bike Karizma, which was 150 kg.
                      But I'm suprised to see this discrepancy...hope bajaj is not taking us for a ride.

                      Comment


                      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                        Originally posted by Legend Racer View Post
                        then, my bike has some problems. hope you all will understand and trust me here.

                        im not using it as im waiting for my helmet and jacket. so rode only about 90kms to home from showroom. 2 mornings now...today also in morning i encountered same starting problem. ignition, engine on switch, wait for 3 seconds, press starter button, crank and crank ( i crank for 3-4 seconds continuously) . bike just does not start. after 4-5 attempts i switch off key and after sometime i try again.
                        again same. after trying around 30 times the started 3 times and that too whenever i gave a bit of throttle.
                        the timing and amount of throttle needs to be very precise.
                        just did a few rounds in compound and kept it. Alas, when i stopped, it was idling for 10 seconds and all of a sudden it shut off automatically, making a sound as if bike stalls in a gear.

                        i think it surely got starting problem. whats the idling speed in tacho?
                        Your bike has no issues, adjust the throttle play and you are set.. Enjoy and stop worrying.

                        Sent from my GT-I9100
                        Why 2wheels over 4.....
                        Its because 'Whatever it is, it's better in the wind!'

                        Comment


                        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                          Originally posted by DukeDey View Post
                          Your bike has no issues, adjust the throttle play and you are set.. Enjoy and stop worrying.

                          Sent from my GT-I9100
                          Bro, if it is the issue with throttle cable play, then why the bike stalled after 10 seconds of idling?

                          Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
                          If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

                          Comment


                          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                            OrangE feveR???

                            Got me byke... because of urgenct bought a red/black helm.... went to a shop for observing what is required and ended up with a orange alpinestar gloves (aint cheap). Then was surfing and found a orange shoe which fits me size - ordered. Went to the bike shop again to see I can get an affordable riding jacket; there was only one spartan which fits me size and well over me budget - but had orange stripes - I dont have to say, bought it. And to all this roughly 350 kms ridden so far ...

                            could it be an orange fever

                            Comment


                            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                              Originally posted by junaid12345678 View Post
                              Bro, if it is the issue with throttle cable play, then why the bike stalled after 10 seconds of idling?

                              Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
                              When the bike is doing certain rpm which is lower than that to sustain itself(values fed in the ecm), the engine struggles to stay on(10secs) and then stops.

                              Sent from my GT-I9100
                              Why 2wheels over 4.....
                              Its because 'Whatever it is, it's better in the wind!'

                              Comment


                              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                                Originally posted by DukeDey View Post
                                When the bike is doing certain rpm which is lower than that to sustain itself(values fed in the ecm), the engine struggles to stay on(10secs) and then stops.

                                Sent from my GT-I9100
                                Agree bro, but how is it possible for the engine to struggle if everything is fine. I mean the values are preset. So how could the ECU allow the engine to stall?



                                Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
                                If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X