Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Tubeless tyres are better than tubed ones.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KTM Duke 390 - Ownership Reviews and Experiences

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

    Originally posted by Venkatesh Velmani View Post
    First mod for touring complete.

    I read about few ppl in team-bhp fitting the fazer's windscreen. So I thOught, I'll also try. Took me sometime to get the work. I haven't tried it out on long distance yet. But after a short run in the highway, I can say there's considerable reduction in the wind blast. Was comfortably able to cruise at speeds of 130Kmph. Did not try more than that. The wind blast is felt on top of the shoulders to the head. A good helmet should solve that problem. I did the test run without the Hemet. I'll try it out on a long drive and let you guys know how it holds up.

    Btw, the windscreen costs only 300 bucks.. :P

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    I did the same mod as well. Cost me Rs183 to get the fazer wind screen from Yamaha SVC..

    Removed the current small sheild and initially used the existing small wind screen to mark the holes [as low as possible so that the bottom part of the wind screen doesn't overlap top part of headlight] and after drilling found that they were little off and not matching exactly with screw holes in the bike...Later used the number plate bracket to mark the holes and drilled slowly and thus making the existing holes slightly bigger to fit the screw holes in bike. All the drilling and fixing was done by myself...[Went to two local mechanics and both of them looked very busy..:-(]

    Took the bike for ride at 11 PM and initial impression was that the air is pushed directly to your helmet and riding your bike at 130, you will lot more air hitting your helmet visor area and it becomes lot more difficult to ride with open visor [used a tinted visor and had to open it while riding at night]. So I have to look out for a clean transparent visor now...

    But it definitely helps in air drag compared to earlier smaller screen and it also adds to funky looks of the bike [as if it has got a new horn]

    One more niggle is that you cannot completely crouch from your sitting position to tuck behind the fazer wind screen because your helmet will hit the top of the wind screen if you try to do so and there is no room in the seat to move back.

    It vibrates significantly when you hit pot holes at low speed and on slightly on idle. To counter that, i'm searching for a simple black rod with threads to screw on the windscreen [there are already existing holes in wind screen that can be used for this purpose] and attaching it to the handle bar.

    Some pictures below:





    Last edited by vidhya; 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM.

    Comment


    • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

      Agree with all your points.

      Originally posted by DukeDey View Post
      * The power delivery has been tamed on the production version. The test bike was more aggressive. It pushed the shoulders back when the bike used to hit the peak powerband, happens on the new bike too but is subtle. This I am saying after riding 3 production version bikes. So, no chance of any issues with the bike. Might have been done to improve city rideability , lessen the heat or to improve the fuel economy(highly unlikely).
      Even I felt the same. Not sure why this was done. Maybe someone else can throw some light on this.
      Your biking tells a lot about the person you are!

      Comment


      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

        "The power delivery has been tamed on the production version. The test bike was more aggressive. It pushed the shoulders back when the bike used to hit the peak powerband, happens on the new bike too but is subtle. This I am saying after riding 3 production version bikes. So, no chance of any issues with the bike. Might have been done to improve city rideability , lessen the heat or to improve the fuel economy(highly unlikely)."

        I too have ridden the test bike and have noticed the same. The jerk to the body when the bike enters the powerband is very less in the production bike compared to the test bikes which were EU specific. I'm gonna try a quick action throttle this weekend to see if it makes any difference. I already sourced the throttle cam from a gentleman from Mumbai. Here is the link to his FB https://www.facebook.com/dhavaljm, Heres a video showing the difference between the QA throttle and standard throttle
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-nbNntlcjY
        Last edited by motorheadZMA; 11-27-2013, 10:28 PM.
        I bought the Ninja 250R !!.....And then i woke up :(

        Comment


        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

          Originally posted by Team Torque View Post
          Good one . Though I was tucked in and was armoured with full riding gears, anything beyond 160+ does literally choke you real bad which is very uncomfortable!! . Guess I gotta try this on
          Dude, with the stock visor anything above 100 or 120 Kmph is uncomfortable. You can do it if you want to, but it is just not comfortable. There's too much wind drag to just peacefully enjoy the ride.

          You must try this mod. I haven't done a long trip yet, but I am sure that touring at 120 Kmph will be much more comfortable than earlier.

          My cousin's getting married in 2 weeks and my parents are against me travelling anywhere because of the wedding. Will be riding to Bangalore as soon as his wedding is over. I'll post a brief report then.

          ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

          Originally posted by vidhya View Post
          I did the same mod as well. Cost me Rs183 to get the fazer wind screen from Yamaha SVC..

          Removed the current small sheild and initially used the existing small wind screen to mark the holes [as low as possible so that the bottom part of the wind screen doesn't overlap top part of headlight] and after drilling found that they were little off and not matching exactly with screw holes in the bike...Later used the number plate bracket to mark the holes and drilled slowly and thus making the existing holes slightly bigger to fit the screw holes in bike. All the drilling and fixing was done by myself...[Went to two local mechanics and both of them looked very busy..:-(]

          Took the bike for ride at 11 PM and initial impression was that the air is pushed directly to your helmet and riding your bike at 130, you will lot more air hitting your helmet visor area and it becomes lot more difficult to ride with open visor [used a tinted visor and had to open it while riding at night]. So I have to look out for a clean transparent visor now...

          But it definitely helps in air drag compared to earlier smaller screen and it also adds to funky looks of the bike [as if it has got a new horn]

          One more niggle is that you cannot completely crouch from your sitting position to tuck behind the fazer wind screen because your helmet will hit the top of the wind screen if you try to do so and there is no room in the seat to move back.

          It vibrates significantly when you hit pot holes at low speed and on slightly on idle. To counter that, i'm searching for a simple black rod with threads to screw on the windscreen [there are already existing holes in wind screen that can be used for this purpose] and attaching it to the handle bar.

          Some pictures below:





          Even i had a problem while fitting the Number Plate but somehow managed to secure it in and screw it tight. I do not feel any vibrations from the visor, whatsoever.

          Yes, as I told you the air hits exactly at your neck, the faster you go the flow gets directed to your face. Yes. Once you get a clear visor try riding again with the helmet lid closed. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how comfortable it is to ride over 100 Kmph.
          Honda Dio (Sold) | Yamaha FZ16 (Sold) | Duke 390 | Kawasaki Z800 (Technically it's my brother's, but WTH ;P) |

          1. Start the engine; 2. Turn the trottle; 3. Disappear ;)

          Comment


          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

            Today saw one parked opposite to CBC honda, trivandrum. I was there to collect my refund cheque against CBR booking. My CBR repsol came a week after booking and that same day I booked the duke and waited for the beast to arrive and now after two months, cancelled CBR booking. The CBC people gave hope only after seeing me with the 390

            Who are you with KL-01-BN-3003 monster?

            Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
            Last edited by junaid12345678; 11-28-2013, 12:53 AM.
            If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

            Comment


            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

              Originally posted by Venkatesh Velmani View Post
              Will be riding to Bangalore as soon as his wedding is over. I'll post a brief report then.
              Buzz me when you are in Bangalore, shall catch up
              Bhp is how fast you hit a wall, Torque is how much of that wall you can take with you.

              Comment


              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                Originally posted by Venkatesh Velmani View Post

                Even i had a problem while fitting the Number Plate but somehow managed to secure it in and screw it tight. I do not feel any vibrations from the visor, whatsoever.

                Yes, as I told you the air hits exactly at your neck, the faster you go the flow gets directed to your face. Yes. Once you get a clear visor try riding again with the helmet lid closed. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how comfortable it is to ride over 100 Kmph.
                Yeah, I already tried speeds upto 140 during night using my Shoei helmet which has got a clear visor. Yes, it really is comfortable now compared to earlier and the wind screen doesn't vibrate during high speeds.

                But whnever I hit a pothole during slow crawling speeds, it does vibrate and there is a slight vibration during idle. Wondering if I add a rubber bush between screw and visor, it would help solve it. And one of the screw is missing and wondering if that might be the reason for vibration....

                Comment


                • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                  My bike has completed 1000kms now. No issues to report.

                  My thoughts - The bike is a blast to ride in any situations. However, the front suspension could have been a wee bit softer. It does not take sharp edges too well. Other than that, handling gets full marks. The engine is a hoot to ride - just need to keep it above 3k rpm. I ride in Bangalore during peak hours for daily commuting. Fuel efficiency is ~25kmpl. That small tank is a bother though. Can hardly fill fuel worth 600 bucks when the reserve indicator comes on. Other than that, the headlight could be improved. I will try out Phillips ExtremeVision. And, the stiff clutch still is a bother when getting stuck in traffic jams.

                  However, there is an observation I want to tally with other owners. The front brake has very less feel and compared to the R15 it feels wooden. Also, the braking in a hurry from 80+ kmph is not exactly what I would call confidence inspiring. Agree? Or is there something wrong with my bike?
                  Your biking tells a lot about the person you are!

                  Comment


                  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                    +1.agree on the brakes..no idea what's going on there.
                    ๔ยкє ҭђгєє ภเภєҭұ เภ ๓ұ שєเภร

                    Comment


                    • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                      Originally posted by abhijeet080808 View Post

                      However, there is an observation I want to tally with other owners.[/B] The front brake has very less feel and compared to the R15 it feels wooden. Also, the braking in a hurry from 80+ kmph is not exactly what I would call confidence inspiring. Agree? Or is there something wrong with my bike?
                      Originally posted by senotrius View Post
                      +1.agree on the brakes..no idea what's going on there.
                      Get them brakes checked, might be because of air in the brake line. My brakes feel awesome. It gives you just enough feedback and is easy to modulate. I checked a few 390's before I picked mine. The brake lever on the others had to be pressed more as if the bikes had less than required brake fluid.

                      The brake feel on the duke is almost as good as on the R15 but lacks the initial bite. Do visit the asc, I believe it can be sorted.

                      Sent from my GT-I9100
                      Why 2wheels over 4.....
                      Its because 'Whatever it is, it's better in the wind!'

                      Comment


                      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                        I have ridden bikes with air in the brake lines. The brake will feel spongy that way. This is not that. Also, the ASC said everything is fine. Just that, ABS bikes have a bit lesser bite!
                        Your biking tells a lot about the person you are!

                        Comment


                        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                          Originally posted by Team Torque View Post
                          Buzz me when you are in Bangalore, shall catch up
                          Sure man! Will do.. Send your number via PM..

                          Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Venkatesh Velmani; 11-28-2013, 12:48 PM.
                          Honda Dio (Sold) | Yamaha FZ16 (Sold) | Duke 390 | Kawasaki Z800 (Technically it's my brother's, but WTH ;P) |

                          1. Start the engine; 2. Turn the trottle; 3. Disappear ;)

                          Comment


                          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                            Originally posted by vidhya View Post
                            Yeah, I already tried speeds upto 140 during night using my Shoei helmet which has got a clear visor. Yes, it really is comfortable now compared to earlier and the wind screen doesn't vibrate during high speeds.

                            But whnever I hit a pothole during slow crawling speeds, it does vibrate and there is a slight vibration during idle. Wondering if I add a rubber bush between screw and visor, it would help solve it. And one of the screw is missing and wondering if that might be the reason for vibration....
                            I guess the missing screw should be causing the rattling noise as that area is not secured! Try screwing it in, if the vibration continues, then try to add a rubber bush. Let me know once you try them..
                            Last edited by Venkatesh Velmani; 11-28-2013, 12:51 PM.
                            Honda Dio (Sold) | Yamaha FZ16 (Sold) | Duke 390 | Kawasaki Z800 (Technically it's my brother's, but WTH ;P) |

                            1. Start the engine; 2. Turn the trottle; 3. Disappear ;)

                            Comment


                            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                              Originally posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
                              I have ridden bikes with air in the brake lines. The brake will feel spongy that way. This is not that. Also, the ASC said everything is fine. Just that, ABS bikes have a bit lesser bite!
                              Yes, the abs does have a lesser bite compared to the normal system. Even the distance to reach standstill will be more compared to riding with abs off. This is to prevent the tires from locking up and provide straight line stability while breaking.

                              Switching the abs off and try breaking. You'll definitely have a lot more bite.

                              Also the abs kicks really early when engaging the rear breaks. That also gives you a feel that breaking is not sharp.

                              Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                              Honda Dio (Sold) | Yamaha FZ16 (Sold) | Duke 390 | Kawasaki Z800 (Technically it's my brother's, but WTH ;P) |

                              1. Start the engine; 2. Turn the trottle; 3. Disappear ;)

                              Comment


                              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                                Originally posted by Venkatesh Velmani View Post
                                Yes, the abs does have a lesser bite compared to the normal system. Even the distance to reach standstill will be more compared to riding with abs off. This is to prevent the tires from locking up and provide straight line stability while breaking.

                                Switching the abs off and try breaking. You'll definitely have a lot more bite.

                                Also the abs kicks really early when engaging the rear breaks. That also gives you a feel that breaking is not sharp.

                                Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                                But, ABS slows down the braking only after ABS engages and we feel the pulsations in the lever/pedal. I am taking about normal braking from 80+ kmph where I can see that ABS has not kicked in. I don't think in this case, there will be any difference even if I switch OFF the ABS.
                                Your biking tells a lot about the person you are!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X