Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

The slower the vehicle, the quicker it can turn.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KTM Duke 390 - Ownership Reviews and Experiences

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

    Ahem Ahem ... ^ D 390 ♥


    Turning out to be my fav bike & most probably my next bike .. Just waiting for Road Competitor version ^_^
    Last edited by shahbaz63; 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM.
    Pride & Prejudice: Ladakh Ride,

    Ride To Raajmachi - Highway, Off Roading, Tent fire & Dhamaal

    Madness in Rajasthan - Travelogue


    "ATGATT, because sweat dries faster than skin heals"
    Riding faster then every one else will only guarantees you will ride alone.

    www.facebook.com/shahbaz008

    Comment


    • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

      Originally posted by vishnu.leo View Post
      I was also present in that trip and i think i can vouch for every bit of thing he said. In fact we wer scared simply by seeing the angles that bike is going in on the corners.
      And about the roads vagamon to parunthumpara save for the odd 4-5 km up hill to the view point roads are an absolute delight. Especially the super wide corners. Actually though it was a miscalculation we almost went up to kumily, but that alone gave the best corners i have seen lately. Beware of big vehicles though.


      Sent from my iPhone using xBhp Connect mobile app

      You are one hell of a tourer I remember scraping pegs on the CBZ when I went there last time.
      Now on the duke, it would be a delight. And stop posting all these. The temptation is hard to resist


      Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
      If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

      Comment


      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

        D390 is one hell of a bike but personally thats a scary machine for me(its too light and simple for my rather bulky body). So probably the RC would be my next bike.

        And what of the rubber??? Any of you guys enquired about the same??? Would they be offered on some kind of duker exclusive pricing???

        And while we are on that i would like to add the do be carefull about going offroad or anything with that tyre unless you have enough dough in bank right now for another pair.
        First thing i noticed while taking rest in between the ride was the amount of wear on the rear tyre... Supernatural grip does come at a price


        Sent from my iPhone using xBhp Connect mobile app
        Just your friendly neighborhood panda. @thebigfatlazypanda

        Comment


        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

          Originally posted by junaid12345678 View Post
          Wow, nice pics, mouthwatering. I went there a few months before and was a fantastic experience. Iam planning one next month but bit worried about the roads as the 390 break bones. How are the roads now?

          Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
          The Roads are fantastic upto vagamon...the roads in vagamon are a pain in the arse but the roads to be ridden are the ones after that !...awesome awesome corners !...n like vishnu said we got lost.Since i have the sense of direction of a rock i had no idea where i was going ..But it was awesome ! XD Just go where the roads take you lol !

          Originally posted by NitinGirish View Post
          The Sales Consultant told me to put a piece of wood or rubber beneath the side stand while parking at night. This is to avoid 'grounding' or some such thing and the battery going dead. Is this true? As of now I haven't followed his advice.
          Said the same thing here as well...but i don't think it's true ...wouldn't KTM have thought about that when they built this ! anyway No issues till date.

          Originally posted by shahbaz63 View Post
          Ahem Ahem ... ^ D 390 ♥


          Turning out to be my fav bike & most probably my next bike .. Just waiting for Race Competitor version ^_^
          Best bang for the buck bike out there right now ...safest too IMHO...The RC's are gonna sell like hot cakes !

          Originally posted by vishnu.leo View Post
          D390 is one hell of a bike but personally thats a scary machine for me(its too light and simple for my rather bulky body). So probably the RC would be my next bike.

          And what of the rubber??? Any of you guys enquired about the same??? Would they be offered on some kind of duker exclusive pricing???

          And while we are on that i would like to add the do be carefull about going offroad or anything with that tyre unless you have enough dough in bank right now for another pair.
          First thing i noticed while taking rest in between the ride was the amount of wear on the rear tyre... Supernatural grip does come at a price


          Sent from my iPhone using xBhp Connect mobile app
          Yup...tyres are a gonna be a pain soon enough...Went to Autoqueen yesterday ...Bought RJays canyon gloves ^_^ and about the tyre...he quoted 12k for the rear tyre alone and about 9k for front. :-/ .That's like a rupee/km (rear alone).

          Comment


          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

            Originally posted by vishnu.leo View Post
            D390 is one hell of a bike but personally thats a scary machine for me(its too light and simple for my rather bulky body). So probably the RC would be my next bike.

            And what of the rubber??? Any of you guys enquired about the same??? Would they be offered on some kind of duker exclusive pricing???

            And while we are on that i would like to add the do be carefull about going offroad or anything with that tyre unless you have enough dough in bank right now for another pair.
            First thing i noticed while taking rest in between the ride was the amount of wear on the rear tyre... Supernatural grip does come at a price
            Me too felt the bike a bit light for the speeds its capable of. Stability is an issue with this bike. Its brilliant on tight corners but if you try to change the line or make adjustments in the middle of a wide corner, the bike wont compliment you well. The solution I found is pick a line to execute the corner when you are totally sure of keeping the line throughout the corner.

            The Metzelers are melting like ice. I came to know from the showroom that the tyres will be 4 or 5k less than its actual price. Exclusively for dukers. Mine has done 2100 kms till date and a significant amount of rubber has been already lost.





            Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
            Last edited by junaid12345678; 11-21-2013, 11:21 AM.
            If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

            Comment


            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

              Hi guys..i'm still not sure how to go about chain cleaning and lubrication. Heard we are supposed to clean the chain every 500kms, is this correct? I thought just lubrication would be fine. And can anyone tell me the procedure of chain cleaning please.

              Comment


              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                Originally posted by junaid12345678 View Post
                Me too felt the bike a bit light for the speeds its capable of. Stability is an issue with this bike. Its brilliant on tight corners but if you try to change the line or make adjustments in the middle of a wide corner, the bike wont compliment you well. The solution I found is pick a line to execute the corner when you are totally sure of keeping the line throughout the corner.

                The Metzelers are melting like ice. I came to know from the showroom that the tyres will be 4 or 5k less than its actual price. Exclusively for dukers. Mine has done 2100 kms till date and a significant amount of rubber has been already lost.



                Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
                I see some one here on xbhp changed tyre at 10,000 km interval (Might be MG)

                anyways, cornering is solely dependent on rider some might take it to extreme & find Duke comfortable & some won't....
                Pride & Prejudice: Ladakh Ride,

                Ride To Raajmachi - Highway, Off Roading, Tent fire & Dhamaal

                Madness in Rajasthan - Travelogue


                "ATGATT, because sweat dries faster than skin heals"
                Riding faster then every one else will only guarantees you will ride alone.

                www.facebook.com/shahbaz008

                Comment


                • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                  Originally posted by NitinGirish View Post
                  The Sales Consultant told me to put a piece of wood or rubber beneath the side stand while parking at night. This is to avoid 'grounding' or some such thing and the battery going dead. Is this true? As of now I haven't followed his advice.
                  I dont know about this, but I have not faced any issues keeping the bike.

                  Comment


                  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                    Some good updates from KTM. Most important is the Metzeler prices. 7+8=15k.

                    Report & Pics : KTM Duke 390 launched @ Rs. 1.80 lakhs - Page 85 - Team-BHP
                    A lone amateur built the ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic...

                    Comment


                    • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                      Guys, i was trying to get more info on chain cleaning and lubrication. Saw a video where this guy is cleaning the chain and he first uses a chain cleaning spray, then he brushes the chain and then sprays the lubricant. But some people say brushing is not good for the chain, and to use only the cleaning spray and the lubricant. Please clarify. I usually lubricate the chain every 500kms and clean it after 1000kms. Is this ok? And where can i get this chain cleaning spray?

                      Comment


                      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                        Originally posted by junaid12345678 View Post
                        I have been testing the 390 for maximum fuel efficiency for the past couple of days and yesterday got a chance. It was a hartal/bandh here in kerala and cruising at a constant 75 kmph managed to extract this
                        [ATTACH]125466[/ATTACH]

                        But whenever I increase the speed to 80 kmph the console FE drops to 38 kmpl. I think 70-75 kmph in sixth gear is the sweet spot.

                        Sent from my MT11i using xBhp Connect mobile app
                        Recently i have been to IBW ride here in Hyderabad, i was riding along with fellow 390 guys, he has finished his 1st service and my bike was at some 350 on odo. our bikes were showing 42-43 kmpl.. i guess this would the max what we can achieve.

                        Comment


                        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                          Originally posted by shelton_jh View Post
                          Nice! I can see that you did around ~900kms on the second day. How was the bike to ride 900kms on a day and in addition to the fuel stops did you stop for butt breaks or was that enough? Was it due to the roads the reason why you kept it in 90 - 115kmph band or are you just being comfortable?
                          While going to bengal, it was a breeze apart from the atrocious roads there which created the butt sore. Apart from fuel breaks, while going I had one litti (bihari sattu filled bread/snack) break and a tea break. I had to use some discipline to coincide my fuel stops with my water sips and leaks
                          90 to 115 speed is a combination of variety of roads/traffic/traffic sense. Though even on the delightful yamuna expressway, I rarely go above 125.

                          ----

                          Anyway, the return is also done. Started at 6 in the morning from Santiniketan-Bengal. The initial bad roads/Duke hard suspension and its willingness to spank my a**/sleepiness due to the wedding festivities till late night/hot sun no shades and crazy traffic in UP all combined together to stop me from making it to Delhi at night. So, stopped at Agra as I didn't want to take the Yamuna expressway at 11 at night.
                          In all, did around 1250 km during the day from 6 AM to 11 PM. Numerous tea breaks/quick 5 min nap/dhaba lunch and dinner.
                          In the morning, did a speed run from Agra to Gurgaon and am now sulking in office

                          A few additional things
                          1. The bike is one big attention magnet. Most probably because it screams for it.
                          2. Rural folk associate price with mileage. The common refrain was that 2 lakh bike and only 25 mileage. They simply couldn't work out the relation
                          3. Felt like a celebrity wherever I stopped. The last time I got this attention was in 2007 when my 220-First Lot caught a lot of eye balls.
                          4. Fuel bills! don't even ask. This thing just drinks and drinks. Mileage ranged from 19 kmpl to 30 kmpl on a tankful to tankful basis.

                          Two weeks back, had done the same route by car (Figo diesel - driven in a reasonably aggressive manner). Helped me answer the "which is faster" question over a reasonable stretch. While going to bengal, my timings were similar to the car even though I took more breaks with the bike. While coming back, spirit broken, the bike was much slower. I had done the stretch in 19 hours in the car while on the bike I had to stop at Agra. Hmmph!
                          Last edited by Mik; 11-21-2013, 01:33 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                            Originally posted by NitinGirish View Post
                            The Sales Consultant told me to put a piece of wood or rubber beneath the side stand while parking at night. This is to avoid 'grounding' or some such thing and the battery going dead. Is this true? As of now I haven't followed his advice.
                            You are supposed to do this, only if you are not going to use the bike for a very long time... so as to avoid drainage of battery..

                            For every day use the drainage is very less, your battery gets charged anyways due to the alternator...

                            I hope this clarifies everything ...

                            ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                            Originally posted by THE46FAN View Post
                            Guys, i was trying to get more info on chain cleaning and lubrication. Saw a video where this guy is cleaning the chain and he first uses a chain cleaning spray, then he brushes the chain and then sprays the lubricant. But some people say brushing is not good for the chain, and to use only the cleaning spray and the lubricant. Please clarify. I usually lubricate the chain every 500kms and clean it after 1000kms. Is this ok? And where can i get this chain cleaning spray?
                            The Chain cleaning method is clearly stated in the user manual...

                            First remove the excess dirt using soft jet of water, then let it dry, Now use chain cleaning spray and brush (Tootbrush will do) (Motul Chain Cleaning spary - C1)
                            - Apply the cleaning spray and scrub with brush (gentlle scrubbing).
                            - Let it dry and then apply Lube (Motul Chain Lube - C2) (Apply on the rear sprocket)
                            - Take the bike for a quick spin so that the lubricant spreads evenly
                            - Wipe off the excess lubricant from the rims (may drip)

                            Comment


                            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                              [MENTION=64466]viper3683[/MENTION]...thanks. will check the manuel aswell. Svc guys gave me a bajaj recommended chain lub(forgot the name) should i stick to motul?? Will the O-ring get damaged if i use any other lub??

                              Comment


                              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                                Originally posted by THE46FAN View Post
                                @viper3683...thanks. will check the manuel aswell. Svc guys gave me a bajaj recommended chain lub(forgot the name) should i stick to motul?? Will the O-ring get damaged if i use any other lub??

                                Well in the manual (i.e. the booklet they have recommended Motul products for everything).

                                Any Chain lube is good, so dont worry about damage.

                                And there is no hard n fast rule that chain needs to be lubed every 500 kms... if you feel that the chain needs lubing then immediately lube it, clean it at intervals of 500 kms..

                                Lubed chain is VERY IMPORTANT, else the whole set of chain and sprocets would need replacement and that is gonna cost big...

                                Always keep the chain slack in check, if chain is slack then adjust with the screws (Refer Manual)...

                                Since the bike doesnt have a middle stand, no other option other than a race stand or the SVC...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X